Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you guys are ready for the Decimator LX GT-R

190 cubic inch V8
500 HP
Race Wing

a pickup racecar for real americans,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I have a tough decision. I really like my first car, but the aero efficiency and engine bay size are making it just barely not competitive. This goes around Le Mans in just under 4:20 using about 350 g/kwh at 500 hp.

Duckaerobics posted:

I hope you guys are ready for the Decimator LX GT-R

190 cubic inch V8
500 HP
Race Wing

a pickup racecar for real americans,
I tried making another model using a better body and came up with this:

It is a full 8 seconds faster and uses less than 300 g/kwh at 600 hp, but it's not anywhere near as cool.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
After much thought I am abandoning my previous FF gimmick pickup, the Decimator LX, for a FF economy sports coupe gimmick.

Presenting the Decimator Green Motion Spec-R E-Type

This beauty builds on all the things the Decimator team learned from the LX. While the LX was an entry level sports car built for the economy focused enthusiast who wanted to drive to the track and bring an extra set of tires, the Green Motion Spec-R E-Type is a true sports car for the green minded individual. Want to hang with supercars, but hate paying for the fuel? With our new White Top V8 while other drivers are in the pit getting fuel, you'll be on the track making laps.

In the Decimator Green Motion Spec-R E-Type sports and economy combine into one imposing package.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That crash really hurt the Decimator team. We dropped two places in the manufacture standings. Hopefully we can make some points up on the next two long tracks.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FatCow posted:

It's totally on for 5th place in the constructors championship between Duckaerobics and me. About 1/2 way through and an 8 point spread.

I'm really afraid you have me beat though. I'm only ahead because one of your cars didn't score in the first race, and Le Mans was the first time my cars placed ahead of yours.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of like the idea of doing a combination of classes if it's not too much work. Something like each manufacturer gets to enter one car into each of three classes.
1. FF economy car with a minimum utility rating
2. FR GT car
3. A pre-built LeMans chassis that we make an engine/trans for.

Also my lead over fat cow has dropped to three points in the overall standings

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe I was able to keep that lead. Great competition though. Hats off to the Aeromaster team for making it so close.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm making a 70's engine but I'm bothered by the fact that you can't make a 289. The bore/stroke ratios are outside of the game limits for everything smaller than a 302. I also feel like the pushrods are a little too limiting on valve float. I can't get my 302 to rev over 6K without setting the cam to 100 and putting 15 QP's into the valvetrain. Anyway one of the production car classes needs to have a limit of at least 5L so I can make a Cobra clone with a SBF (It's going to be called the Venom Snake).

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HotCanadianChick posted:

Pushrods are lovely for getting high rpm in real life too.

Motor trend's supposedly period correct boss 302 revved to 6800, and I believe the redline in the stock 68 with a 302 was around 5800. The engine I made in game basically loses all power at around 6K even with the valve train maxed out. That's not a huge difference, but I still think pushrods are a little over restrictive.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm an idiot and you can make a 289. You have to make a larger engine and then destroke it using the family variant tab.

I have a couple of questions about the newest competition. What is the situation with quality points and tires? Do more quality points still correspond to faster wear, and does this have much affect in the touring class when limited to just 6 points? Do the points per item and overall QP's apply to the interior?

HotCanadianChick posted:

drat, it's hard to hit 30 reliability on the Touring class with a 1500 cc engine. Even with max QPs in bottom end, valvetrain, and fueling, and 2 pts in exhaust, I just barely hit 30.0 even, and that only by going to a 2bbl carb instead of 4bbl.

I had trouble getting to 20 reliability with an I6, but was able to get over 40 with an I4. I think that the reliability will be one of the toughest requirements in that class.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how you can go over on cost. My open class car is still under the total cost limit for the sportsman class. Here is a preview of the Decimator Venom Snake

I guess those intake runners count as a bug. but I like it.
This is powered by a 427 that makes about 500 ft/lbs of torque and 460 horsepower.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I also think a little tweaking of the rules needs to be done. The open class has 40 points max for the engine, but you can only put nine in any one category so the max you can put into the engine is 36. I also think we should consider using the same wheels and tires or at least remove the limits. You can't go anywhere near the width limits without going really small on the rims and losing all your brakes.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I made a turbo motor for the open class...

The fuel economy is of course terrible and it's not very much faster than my big block cobra clone, but on the other hand it's the closest thing to having a blower stick through the hood I can make.

:perfect:

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Since people are posting benchmarks I'll throw some in. My touring car has a 150hp 91ci engine and does the ring in ~9:20. My sports class has a 400hp 341 and does the ring in ~8:40. I think this round is going to be even closer than the last one.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Deedle posted:

I'm getting about 117kW from my 1478cc engine, finding myself restricted by the exhaust header.
If you don't mind me asking, is the 150hp figure you get due to the headers or is it a design choice?

If I cheat and put short tubular headers on I can easily gain 40kW and then some.
As is I'm considering adjusting my design to just put out 117kW as that is basically the amount all NA touring class cars will have.

I was basically shooting for max performance rating. I think I could get more power if I gave it a racier cam or made it rev higher, but 150 was about the max I could get out of a 1500cc engine. The exhaust header is definitely the most restrictive part of my engine.

I have also noticed that re-naming the parts of your car helps make sure it saves.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chiwie posted:

Dumb question, how do we add the weight for fuel?

You need to leave room in your weight allowance for the fuel. The weight of your car plus fuel can't be more than the max weight for the class. If the fuel weight takes you over you can't carry as much.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This game really does need V6 turbos

It really really does.

On that note I made 1200cc turbo motor for the touring class. It makes 200hp, but only has a reliability of 26. I'm tempted to run it anyway as I got it down to 9:02 around the ring.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A few tips for anyone still having trouble. I'm not sure if how much of this is superstitious magic and how much works, but I haven't lost a car in a while doing this:

- If you want to change bodies start over completely.
- There are two fixture tabs in the model section now. Only ever use the second one.
- Give each section a unique name.
- Never ever touch the little save icon. Instead run the car on a track and run the engine before you close.

Anyway here is my touring car submission.
Introducing the Decimator Mustique Turbo

This beauty has a 200hp 73ci Turbo motor and goes around the ring in 9:00 flat.

The engine reliability ins't great, but overall it's over 60. Hopefully it's the fastest car and makes up for breaking all the time and using too much fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've been working on my sportsman class entry. I have a 400hp NA V8 powering a car around the ring in 8:32. I believe this car is legal, although it is maxing out the cost.

• Locked thread