Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I've whipped up my abomination pretend internet race car.

"Killll mmeee"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I played around a bit with my old, old copy of Automation, and don't think I can get anything competitive together. Good luck to the rest of you!

Just do it anyway and run with me in the unofficial chump spec.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MrChips posted:

OK, I've sent out scrutineering reports to the entries I have received thus far. Please note that adaptive suspension parts are active in nature and are banned under the rules.

Also Chiwie I had a problem with your submission; the engine works fine by itself but it doesn't seem to be associated with the car and model you sent.

Overall reliability as seen on the final summary screen is not taken into account, as it counts things that are extraneous to the simulation (like the quality of your exterior trims, interior quality, etc). This sim will be strictly based on Quality Points as outlined in the rules post, with additional weighting added to critical categories outlined in the rules.

Resent my submission.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Kafouille posted:

Was pretty sure i was missing something. Not that it matters much anyways, on the stock test track it's actually slower than my 680hp NA motor that actually has a reasonable torque curve.

Edit : Still 800hp at legal boost

Turbo engines have a lower CC limit.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Kafouille posted:

I actually managed to make a turbo engine that runs faster on the Ring than my sub 700hp NA motor, but it took a bloody 1050hp to do it, and over twice the fuel consumption.

EDIt : And given a quick fuel estimation it would have to pit every bloody lap.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

I have a second car ready to go if you want additional entries. Should be a fun gimmick too!

Edit:

Final for the 1500cc MACHINE OF 80s FURY.

It's not going to win anything, but gently caress it, looks like something 5 year old me would of wanted.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 10, 2015

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MrChips posted:

That's the intention; building your car, then using interior and infotainment systems and their associated QPs to ballast your car to the minimum weight. There is no restriction on QPs in those two categories for that exact reason.

Also that suspension advice is good :)

The most up-to-date Steam build; B150409.

Thank you so much for posting this. I knocked off about 7 seconds, turning my shitbox into a somewhat less poo poo box.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Riso posted:

After doing various comparisons with FR and MR cars tweaked to hell and back with the same engine I have to come to the conclusion that MR weight limits are too high. My best FR is about one second faster than my best MR.
Adding 50kg to the FR gets it to within 0.5 of the best MR time, at +75kg it is almost even.

I've been tweaking my design and I'm losing about 10sec a lap because of the weight.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chips, will we be able to change gear ratios each race, or is it set it and forget it?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MrChips posted:

There will be no setup changes, be it gear ratios, suspension or aero, for any race...that complicates things way too much on my end.

Ok cool, I'll fire off my final car closer to the date. 700+ gm a KW is good right? :ohdear:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MrChips posted:

That's actually a pretty good idea; do a couple of pre-season "testing days", I guess. I'm thinking something like a two-hour test race, complete with pitstops and reliability simulation. Once that's complete, we have two options; first, post the full results for everyone to see, including laps completed, lap times, retirements (if there are any), number of stops and all. Or, I could post some limited information and send a full report to each entrant detailing how their car performed in the test session.

Also, since racing series seem to like testing at Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona, that's were the test sessions will occur.

You've got two weeks as of today to submit your entry!

Number of stops, times, top speed and outright reliability failures should be public rest of it should be secret for the teams. Kinda like f1 testing.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Oh god, that testing. Well at least I wasn't last.

Going back to the drawing board so I don't get stung by my chassis' inability to mount a 1500cc + engine.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

What's the deal with tyres? I had no idea there was super softs etc?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

The more quality points you put into tires, the softer they become. People are getting super softs by putting the maximum 15 QP's into tires.

Awesome, I'll have to work on that!

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I think it would be cool if for the next championship (there'll be a next, one right? Please say there will be a next one MrChips!) we had a money budget, and did a different time period.

Doing a era and a reverse grid budget would be pretty cool.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 27, 2015

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's a 1999 miata with a turbo hayabusa motor in it. I need to figure out why it's unreliable now; I thought I'd done pretty well on that front.

That is freaking awesome. Just by entering that you have won.

I shouldn't of wimped out on my "what would a 1.5L V8 twin turbo AW11 be like" entry.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Are V6's eligible? They made it in with the new patch.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Riso posted:

Put quality points in the bottom end, drop fuel system QP if you have any above 3.

They're in the release version, so why wouldn't they.

But there's no V6 turbos. You can still go for your 1.5l V8 TT though!

I'm still running a TT V8 in a MR 80s car, just went with something a little more competitive!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

God drat it. Forgot to send in my final entry.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Vando posted:

I genuinely don't know how some of you got those combined speed/economy results, there's definitely some automotive witchcraft I need to learn to compete with this.

(probably "don't build FF cars idiot" is step 1 but hey)

I think a FF CAR focusing on reliability and fuel economy could do pretty well.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

1/2 way in the pack! Pretty happy with that considering I missed my sending in my final car which is a few seconds quicker and has the 10 QPs that I forgot to spend.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

The winners deserve to win, however the top 3 could upload their cars and do a bit of a 'how I did it' article at the end of the championship to allow people to catch up.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MrChips posted:

Further in the field, the battle for the middle positions was more fierce than ever; after six hours, a mere five minutes separated positions 12 through 39, with more overtakes in this single race than there have been in the first three races of the season; truly, the spectators got their money's worth today. One particularly bold move saw the #19 TMR-GT II pass the #36 Phoenix Racing on the exit of Copse corner, only to lose the position down the straight, then re-take it once and for all through the Maggotts and Becketts complex.

Go you gloriously compromised 80s machine!!!

2284cc of flatplane V8 twin turbo fury. Racing with a full luxury interior lets the driver play our sponsor's music as he races over the car's sounds system.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

I demand a race ban for all cars ahead of Phoenix in the constructors. We've been part of SA-GTE from the beginning. If these penalties aren't enforced we may consider our time in this series at an end.

As TMR is the real soul of SA-GTE racing, we demand that Full Frontal, MustardFacial and Modus racing have their car's weighed down with 200kg of extra ballast for stealing our idea of being part of the SA-GTE.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 10, 2015

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

The TMR, Full Frontal, MustardFacial and Modus championship is heating up.

Obviously TMR is the moral victor here, but you know.

Edit: How many of us entered the Win on Sunday/Sell on monday comp on the automation forums? I know wargames, riso and myself had a go.

Chiwie fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 14, 2015

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Tremek posted:

Show that guy what's up and convert your series into a web service where people can self-submit their cars and either run a new series or join an existing series, and watch people flock away from Der Shithead.

This. Seriously gently caress people like that.

MrChips posted:

Yeah, revisions were too much work; I would have to re-check everything top to bottom, then re-enter it into the simulation, which by itself isn't too bad, but also running one race sim per day - a lot of what you see there is manually done - makes it too much work. In fact for the next round, revision rules are going to be even tighter; one submission, one revision between the two test days and this time, one revision in-season. No more submitting like a dozen versions before anything happens.

Speaking of the next round, I have come up with three (four) potential candidates:

-Choice One: SA-GTE again, but with some rule tweaks and a performance balance. The top five finishers will get a QP penalty, while the bottom five will get a bonus. Tires will be spec.

Choice Two: SA-GTE 2020. Similar rules to SA-GTE, but one huge difference; engine design will basically be free, as long as your specific fuel consumption is below a certain level. Also, there will be a fuel restriction - you will only get so much fuel per hour - that means you can't just come in and build like a 10 litre V8 that does 260 g/kWh and has 1200 horsepower. More tech will be allowed in the drivetrain too, but there will be some interesting obstacles to overcome.

Choice Three: Retro GT. Similar to SA-GTE, but run in somewhere between 1965 and 1985.

Choice Four: A pre-neutering DTM-style series. Four- and five-door bodies only, with an as-yet to be determined engine formula.

Oh and an additional, optional challenge; a prototype series that runs concurrent to the main GT/touring car series. I build a chassis based on the LMP, send it to those who are interested, then you guys build an engine and transmission for the car...everything else will be off-limits.

If anyone has any better ideas, let's have them. This series ends on Thursday and the next one won't be for a while (a few months maybe).

Choice 1/3, but maybe a few different categorizes like IRL Le Mans. We had an unofficial MR 80's championship running between TMR and some other, lesser teams. It was pretty great at making the midpack more exciting.

That said, wouldn't mind doing something like win on sunday, sell on monday.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Riso posted:

That mainly works because of the cost limit. If there wasn't we'd be building the best race car first and then just stick the most luxurious suspension and internals on to make up for comfort and prestige.

Whoever makes the best road car gets more money for the homogenization specials.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

Whatever the rules, I just want you to know that next time I'm building a car specifically to compete against you.

(i love you)

I would build something to compete with your trash, but it would dilute TMR's branding of only building cool cars for cool people.

(Gay marry me asap. TIA.)

MustardFacial posted:

I tried to pull the fuse for the fuel pump but those TMR tattle tales saw me and said they we're going to have a talk with the FIA

HMMMMM.....

www.safedrive.tm/bathurst300:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Dumb question, how do we add the weight for fuel?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Riso posted:

What IS considered good fuel consumption in 1975?

600kw/g+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

Pre 1986 Bathurst please. TMR needs to upstage it's crash from last time around.

:black101:

• Locked thread