Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm interested, but $30 is a lot to drop on what was, when last I tried it, a tech demo.

Has Automation come far enough to be interesting as a game rather than just something to cobble together some stats for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm in the same boat, I'd love to try it, but it was still largely the same feature set (able to design engines and chassis but none of the tycoon or economic parts of the game) when I first saw it five or so years ago. The utter lack of apparent progress in such a large time does not give me a lot of confidence that it will ever be finished at this rate.

Looking at the page, I'm not too hopeful.

From the May release :

"We are getting closer to a new public version release of the game with many of the flow changes done and working and the naturally aspirated V6 engines having their most difficult to make parts done."

So 3+ years of 'development' in and they still haven't got basic engine types working in game, much less the actual game portion of the sim side feature-complete? I know they're trying for a detailed simulation here, but that doesn't leave me a good feeling.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm still fiddling with this, and fighting the urge to put out a full-size Estate Wagon. :getin:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I played around a bit with my old, old copy of Automation, and don't think I can get anything competitive together. Good luck to the rest of you!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hrm. I could cram this 5000cc pushrod v8 into an Estate Wagon chassis...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, this thing isn't going to win any medals, but in the forest of JDM turbofourbangers and quasi-exotics, I felt the need for something a little more... primal.

Gentlemen, I give you the Griffin.

3405 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal, with this terrible creature beneath the hood :

5.5L MOHV 16V V8, with dual 4 barrel carbs and 3" pipes all the way back. 574hp @ 7600 RPM, with a 5 speed manual transmission.

Traction control? Power steering? Downforce? Where we're going, we won't need these crutches.

She'll do a 13.38 second quarter at 122 miles per hour, and more importantly, is SHINY AND CHROME.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Much to their shame, my designers have failed to obey the simple laws of this contest. They have been shot.

A new revision of the Griffin will be delivered tomorrow to be re-scrutinized.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I desperately need another 1.5L of displacement for this. 5.5L is not generating an engine tall enough to stick out the hood properly. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Riso posted:

I don't know how you guys are getting 740 HP out of a 5.5L pushrod V8.
I made this 102.5 bore, 83.3 stroke for 5499cc but I can only really push it to 659@7500 without running into airflow warnings.
Are you guys just ignoring warnings as long as the various parts don't turn yellow?

The current version of the Griffin is a 666 HP on a 5.5L NA modern pushrod setup with everything green.

I suppose I should see if I can push it farther, if the warnings aren't a big deal. :black101:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 13, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Are we still in the allowed to make pre-season adjustments? Clearly I need a bit better transmission of power to the road.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Riso posted:

You should drop the inferior carburators for advanced multi-efi and work on more power! You're holding the beast back!

Blasphemy.

If these assholes had gotten around to properly modeling superchargers, we wouldn't be in this position. :mediocre:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think I may be doing as well as is possible with a 2800lb chassis, but those times really aren't competitive. Making this old thing faster really needs serious aero adjustments, or I have completely failed at gearing and tires. One of the two.

Anyone have any advice? If I got all the way to full downforce, I can get positive downforce numbers at full speed, but it significantly impacts my max speed. I think right now, my issue is that my rear end is floating at the upper end and robbing all my grip.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That's it.

I'm getting my gearbox figured out and I'm going to submit my comedy entry as the last-place anchor.

It's a 1999 Miata with a turbo Hayabusa motor as closely as I can make it.

edit: submitted

You'll have to go far to beat me for last place, buddy. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

On a lark, I yanked the engine out of the Griffin and threw it in an actual racecar body, got her down to 4:17 on La Sarthe.

So clearly I have the engine, just need the aero. If I could run this thing with what'll fit in the chassis, the only problem would be keeping the tires on the road. :black101:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm having trouble getting that to work out in-game, though. Rear wing + lip, with downforce balanced so it's sitting almost exactly neutral, is getting me ~4:28 on La Sarthe.

This is about 20 seconds out of competitive. Part of the problem, I think, is that I'm seeing a whopping 62% wheel spin. Fun for making smoke, less advantageous for good acceleration. This body can only fit 345's, though, even with the wells tubbed out as far as possible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, gets me ~4:25 with a corresponding loss in reliability that'll murder me on the long races, because those points are coming out of my engine. I'll just have to keep kicking it. I know I'm doing something wrong here. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Thanks for the offer, but it seems against the spirit of the thing. I'll kick it around a bit more, worst come to worst I'll just run it as it is and be the comedy option.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Think I'm going to cleansheet the Griffin tonight and see what I can do to get more of this ridiculous power actually applied to the road.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It'll be a lot slower. The game engine prioritized AWD pretty heavily.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I still wish I wasn't stuck at 335 cubic inches. I badly want to run a 454 in this thing.

Comedy note, I managed to get the wheel spin down to a manageable level, which put my top speed up above 200mph... and brought me to 3MPG.

I accidentally went Funny Car. Back to the drawing board.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 24, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I am really, really bad at this game, but slowly progressing towards less terrible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The issue I'm finding is straight up the aerodynamic calculations of the game. Even after a rework, the body style's not getting any faster, but the same engine in a body with a smaller base aero efficiency runs a solid 20 seconds faster.

Storm last night took out my Internet at home, so I've got nothing to do but play with it tonight. See what I can come up with.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think I have to admit that I'm just bad at this game.

I'll send you the final revision tomorrow, Mr. Chips, I think it's actually within swinging distance of competitive now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Part of it is that their aerodynamic simulation is literally just frontal area and downforce, so if the base frontal area is high on your body, it's going to wind resist no matter what you do to it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

go3 posted:

The faults are more with the game and not your sim. Until we get more engine options and a more consistent model you're going to see a bunch of the same stuff.

100% this. Your sim setup is very nice, and I appreciate you running it. My frustrations are entirely with the game's janky and counterintuitive mechanics.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I think the last patch broke something. My Griffin is no longer recognizing that wings or lips exist. Stubbornly stays at 0.0 ft of fitting area.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

After a bit more experimentation, I've discovered something kind of hilarious. Making my car heavier makes it faster, because it has so much wheel spin right now.

Thanks for running this, MrChips!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MustardFacial posted:

Letting people retune doesn't solve anything. In order to make it fair you have to let everyone retune and then we're back at square one.

We could do a success ballast or something. Add 25kg to your car for every win or something like that.

Can I do it in reverse? Add 10KG for every place behind first I'm sitting in the overall ratings? It'd make the GT run better. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

3 or 4 as well.

I will continue to run terrible retrocars no matter what series we end up with anyway. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I am chalking it up as a win that, no matter that it ran slow, my Griffin did not have to retire from a single race this season despite my horrible design skills.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Are we going to be allowed to use Steam Workshop bodies?

I'd really like a few more 70's options than fat-assed fastbacks, for all that those are the right shape.

That said, if we're going full 70's, larger engines yes? :gibs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It does seem like the rules as presented are going to produce a very narrow band of successful designs.

• Locked thread