Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Going to reinstall this game and join the championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Can a team enter two cars with the same chassis, but different engine builds?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

After seeing engines posted here, I'm doing something wrong. I can't avoid valve float.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ssjonizuka posted:

damnit... I've only had like 2 hours to play around and just barely started getting a motor together. I don't know if I'll be able to get a car built well enough in time. :sigh:
Deadline is in 21 days, plenty of time to throw something together.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Time for another evening where I attempt to be a lovely Nick Wirth & Adrian Newey.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Going crazy. I have NA and turbo versions of V8/I4/I6 engines, in DOHC and ModOHV versions. I've got a couple candidates but I can't find the magic bullet.

Haven't even bothered to get started on the car design.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

stump posted:

It's green because it'll do 30mpg.
Crap, there's something else I need to look at. Most of my cars get a whopping 10mpg.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You can get ~*massive gainz*~ with big turbos, but the lag makes it pretty worthless, especially since it seems the AI driver rarely keeps the car close to the turbo's power band in low speed corners. I've been trying to use smaller turbos that spool up earlier.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

MustardFacial posted:

Hahaha I love this. How many days left before tech inspection? I'm willing to throw $30 at this to make my rendition of a Clio V6
A shade under 19 days. Due by 11am pacific on June 29th.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Well I've got my first test design on track. Say hi to Bessie the V8 Track Mule:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The crew will be rolling test chassis "Gus" to scrutineering later this morning.

Nix that. The game ate my goddamn Lua file so I have to attempt to rebuild from square one.

*edit*
I crash-course recreated Gus, and is awaiting the inspection report. I'm glad I took screenshots of the engine before I closed the sandbox, because it also ate the engine design. I get the feeling Automation doesn't like it when you create a car/engine family, but leave the trim/variants blank.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 11, 2015

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Just for fun, I'm going to make a new Track Mule called "Freddy", to experiment with a FWD entry. I expect there to be tears and lots of cursing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

After the debacle of last night, I've started taking screenshots of my finished builds before I close the sandbox/program. Yaaay early access. :unsmith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Just got back the scrutineering report (which is awesome, by the way), and something is odd. I chose year 2015 for the car/engine, the sandbox shows 2015 when I load, but when the saves get loaded by MrChips they show 2020, so it's failing. I don't know why this is occurring either.

Back to the drawing board again, maybe the game botched something upon saving, who knows.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It should save every time a part is added or a variable tweaked. Not sure if it also auto-saves on exit.

Oh and I figured out the problem. The engine got set to 2020, not sure if I smacked a button or what, but I'll chalk it up to mea culpa this time.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My designs can't get below 4'12"-11" at Le Mans, I'm about ready to clean sheet it again. Crap.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Riso posted:

Using the newest MR body, escewing titanium in a 5.5l MOHV V8@707hp and avoiding carbon everywhere to reach 1245.2 kg weight my latest attempt is 4:04.90 at la Sarthe.
:aaaaa:
Ok, time to go back and rewatch the tutorials to figure out what I'm missing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So on Friday people can opt-into the Open Bee-ta and get access to NA V6 engines. Will this be allowed if people want to make a V6?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm suspect my car's problem is all suspension/tire based. I already got the funky 2020 thing sorted.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

What's fun, is when you realize small changes in the front and rear bumpers actually can hurt or help the car. I've gained an entire point in driveability by tweaking a bumper forward a couple cm.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Trying one last attempt to wring any sort of speed out of this car. Are adaptive dampers considered active suspension?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

*doublepostungood*

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Going to spend the next 36 hours trying to learn the black magic of suspension. And then just give up and run what I brung.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Haha crap. Gonna King Hiro the season.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

When I get back to town I'm going to have to start making a new entry for next season, cause this one is never going to finish a race.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm quite surprised Turn One Hiros are doing as well as they are, did not expect Gus to be anything than a bottom-rung car or constantly falling apart.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Terrible, terrible result. How is T1H supposed to claw into 9th spot with those kind of results?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

drat close battle we've got going on. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The chassis design choices for the top entries were quite interesting. Looking forward to having the boys in the lab take a spare Gus model and see what they can do with the other design options. It's a teachable moment for T1H.

Tremek posted:

Wow, congrats bentai for moving up in the last race of the season!
Here's to hoping for another good fight next season! :D

• Locked thread