Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I think i broke the spec :

As far as i can tell it's within spec and the quality limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Was pretty sure i was missing something. Not that it matters much anyways, on the stock test track it's actually slower than my 680hp NA motor that actually has a reasonable torque curve.

Edit : Still 800hp at legal boost

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 9, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Are the engine quality level substracted from the 72 body total or are they separate ?

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Here's my entry, sporting a mid engined 5.5L OHV V8 it's probably going to be among the low side of the power to weight ratio since it has less than 700hp in a heavy MR car but i hope to be competitive on the strength of the chassis, an accommodating powerband and a fuel consuption around 400gr/kw.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Bentai posted:

You can get ~*massive gainz*~ with big turbos, but the lag makes it pretty worthless, especially since it seems the AI driver rarely keeps the car close to the turbo's power band in low speed corners. I've been trying to use smaller turbos that spool up earlier.

I actually managed to make a turbo engine that runs faster on the Ring than my sub 700hp NA motor, but it took a bloody 1050hp to do it, and over twice the fuel consumption.

EDIt : And given a quick fuel estimation it would have to pit every bloody lap.

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 10, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Riso posted:

You know what, I decided to share the 5.5l pushrod V8 shown above.
To be honest it's not that great an engine apart from fuel consumption and I can't really get it higher than 500hp before it starts tearing itself apart, but maybe it is better than what you have or can learn a few things looking at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2puripatlb9ojj/V8MOHCEngine.7z?dl=0

It sometimes also doesn't take engine changes until you test and often it will have wrong car stats until you change a part and put it back how it was.

I took a look at it, and the main thing is why aren't you using the quality sliders ? The Valvetrain slider is especially important for NA engines in this challenge to avoid valvefloat. With just that plus pushing the cam profile up to 100 i picked up nearly a hundred hp.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
This is SA-GTE legal :

Qualifiquation trim :pseudo:
(It has no cooling and uses more than a liter of fuel per kwh)

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 11, 2015

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Alright, that is indeed interesting. It seems i am about 3 seconds faster than anyone else legal, but with not great fuel economy. The high downforce of my current setup and very good traction of the MR layout probably helped a lot. I probably should tone down the fuel consumption a bit since i can drop 20 percent or so for about 20hp.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The LMP isn't really any faster than the modern sport car bodies, a separate class would be pretty useless. It has a pretty middling drag coefficient and the advantage on tire widths is irelevant here. The only advantage is the center of gravity seems to be a tiny bit lower but it's not terribly significant.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Tremek posted:

If my LMP build turns out faster than your MR build, would you be sad? :)

I know your LMP is faster but i'm pretty sure it has more to do with the engine than the chassis.

EDIT : Not to mention it's not that hard to go fast if you just say gently caress it to fuel efficiency :

(And yes that is rules legal with full cooling and decent reliability)

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

453gr/kwh, on a turbo engine funnily enough.

• Locked thread