Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd love some sort of rudimentary programming script to make our own vehicles. Choose what type of vehicle (underwater, flying, land, etc.), the weight (light, medium, heavy), speed (slow, medium, fast), and then assemble it yourself. So there's a few handling physics templates in the game, you modify some parameters with your choices, and off you go. I doubt anyone would expecting Gran Turismo level of simulation, just something that goes vroom would be awesome enough, especially if it's something the player made.

Since this is basically single player, surely they wouldn't have any problem with abusing the system right? It's your world anyway, not much damage could be done, or much of anything to gain from doing so.

Or heck make it even simpler; they could give you a bunch of thumbnails of existing vehicles and say "Which one is yours most similar to?", and go from there. Use an existing handling sim that some other vehicle has already for something the player makes themselves.

This is how Second Life worked. The overall structure of your vehicle didn't matter very much. You designated a "core" block to be the thing that physics acted on, and then just filled in the variables with regards to how physics acts upon it, and what various keystrokes do in terms of thrust and/or torque. So, if you wanted a thing to behave like a plane, then you gave it a process to calculate lift from forward momentum, so every tick of the script said "for forward velocity X, create thrust Y in a direction perpendicular to where the wings should be"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread