Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm hosting a friend's bachelor party this week and we'll be spending most of the time just getting drunk and nerding out in a giant home theater playing video games.

Hoping to compile a list of great arcade style 4 player games for Steam and PS4 that I can pick up for $5-15 each.

We are already planning on playing Artemis, Crawl, and Towerfall.

Looking for some other fun games that will be very low time investment for newbies to get up to speed. Co-op or not co-op, either way is good.

I also have Little Big Planet 3 and Trials Fusion. We will probably buy Octodad which looks to be a fun one to play in a drunken stupor.

Can anybody recommend any other great ones that we are missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
It isn't simultaneous but I've had a lot of fun taking turns with local friends in Pac Man Championship Edition DX+

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That one Steam brawler where you play as mascot-looking guys with ragdoll physics, the name escapes me right now but someone knows what I'm talking about.

E: Gang Beasts!

E2: Will you organize my bachelor party? :v:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 3, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Liquid Penguins posted:

It isn't simultaneous but I've had a lot of fun taking turns with local friends in Pac Man Championship Edition DX+

what??? that seems like a huge miss not giving it multiplayer. the arcade version is a ton of fun 4 player.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
Check out Ultimate Chicken Horse. It's still super early in development, but a free client is floating around on the internet that was meant for kickstarter backers.

It shouldn't be files because there's no way to pay for it. Excellent couch co-op shenanigans in party mode.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Spelunky's deathmatch mode is like the perfect mix between Warioware and Super Smash Bros. when you play first to 10 with random stages selected. It's definitely the longest lived 4-player game at my house.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

C-Euro posted:

That one Steam brawler where you play as mascot-looking guys with ragdoll physics, the name escapes me right now but someone knows what I'm talking about.

E: Gang Beasts!

E2: Will you organize my bachelor party? :v:

Gang beasts is the correct answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o73PQlJ37lc

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
If you want to expand your budget to $20 then I would recommend Helldivers for PS4. It has great 4 player co-op. And if you are all drunk then there will be hilarious mistakes made.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
You can pick up Gauntlet right now for $10 off amazon. Really fun game, every one is on the same screen at the same time and there is a competitive element with the golden crown. At the end of each level the person with the most points gets a golden crown (that's worth a massive amount of point to the person that finish with it) BUT is knocked off if the person wearing it gets hit.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
I'm surprised no one has mentioned BROFORCE. Especially the explosion run mode. poo poo gets crazy, and never stops. More modes to that game than I've even had the chance to play with other friends. There's also Thieftown. It's designed for local multiplayer only, and is even in a bundle on Indiegala.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Bomberman 64 if you can hook up the ps4 controllers to a comp and laptop to the TV

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Bomberman 64 if you can hook up the ps4 controllers to a comp and laptop to the TV

actually, he has wired ethernet ports to 4 seats in the middle of his home theater and converted his console controllers to take ethernet so... I would just need to track down a bomberman 64 cartridge for n64.

we will have 4 wireless xbox360 controllers witih a USB hub plugged into a tower running Steam. HDMI out to the projector.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Mount Your Friends had some success with my friends

Seconding your choice of Octodad

Towerfall has a sequel with 4 player coop

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Monaco goes on sale fairly often.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Castle Crashers.

It's simple, really goofy and has a very thin layer of character progression. It excels with four.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Necrosaro posted:

If you want to expand your budget to $20 then I would recommend Helldivers for PS4. It has great 4 player co-op. And if you are all drunk then there will be hilarious mistakes made.

Definitely second Helldivers. We've been having a ton of fun with Magicka 2 on our office PS4 lately as well.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

Mount Your Friends had some success with my friends

Great game, learning curve is like 5 minutes, and rounds go quickly. Also dangling dongs

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I have helldivers, does it actually have local 4p? Castle crashers is fun but I feel like it's not a great drop in and out of game for a party with short attention spans.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars or its successor, Rocket League, are great games about playing soccer in tiny RC cars fitted with rocket boosters. I had a ton of fun with SARPBC on my PS3, you should be able to find Rocket League on PC.

e. Is the PS4 backwards-compatable with PS3 games? PAIN is the #1 most played game on my PS3.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 3, 2015

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you like playing Towerfall, you'll really like Samurai Gunn
Lethal League is also in a similar vein with needing quick reflexes; it's also super good as well.

The Jackbox Party Pack is also very very good. Especially for Drawful and Fibbage, but it's a different type of couch coop game. Each players controller is a phone or tablet (or anything that can open a web browser to jackbox.tv)

I've also been enjoying Super Motherload a bit in single player. It's fairly slow with just 1 person, but I think it'd really shine in 4 player coop.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's phonebased but spaceteam is really fun. It supports 2-6 players
you all have 2-3 buttons randomly assigned on your phone, every 2-3 seconds a player gets a message popping up like "Set tone to 4!" and they need to shout it out and have whoever has that control follow the instruction.
Or "Meator shower" which means everyone needs to shake their phone, and "Wormhole" which means everyone has to turn their phone upside down.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Pix the Cat

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lethal League - Battle Pong. Will probably be the hypest game if you get consistent volleys.
Starwhal - Flip narwhals around to pierce your enemies' hearts.
Speedrunners - 2D Mario Kart with grappling hooks.
Broforce/The Expendabros - Contra meets voxels and destructible environments. Broforce is paid, Expendabros is free.
Sonic All Star Racing Transformed - Mario Kart with Sega characters
Screencheat - FPS where you can only see where other players are by looking at their screen.

If you don't mind taking turns, I can throw a few more suggestions out.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

MMD3 posted:

actually, he has wired ethernet ports to 4 seats in the middle of his home theater and converted his console controllers to take ethernet so... I would just need to track down a bomberman 64 cartridge for n64.
If you do, don't forget the cheat code. Hover on Battle in the menu and mash the the Start button as fast as possible until you hear a chime. Its dumb but it gives you double the stages.

It seems most of the good games have been covered. I'm going to second recommendations for Samurai Gunn and Lethal League. Gang Beasts is dumb fun but expensive for what it is.

And while only simultaneously 2 player, Nidhogg. loving Nidhogg is extremely hype and fun to watch.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Holepunchio posted:

And while only simultaneously 2 player, Nidhogg. loving Nidhogg is extremely hype and fun to watch.

The matches are fast in Nidhogg and it supports big tournaments, so don't worry about only 2 playing at once by the by.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Any of the Worms games are great for drinking because it's not too twitchy and it still makes you want to murder your friends.

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013
Rayman Origins and Legends both support 4-player couch co-op, are super fun and colourful, and pretty simple to learn.

They might require a bit too much finesse for 4 drunk friends though, and the kid-friendly style might put some people off, so perhaps leave them on the "maybe" pile.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nt[/b]hing Broforce and Lethal League, especially Lethal League. Those game goes great with alcohol and friends.

Kung Foot on Rayman Legends is extremely easy to pickup and gets very competitive quickly

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
hrm sounds like you should check on the game "Strippers IRL"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Poy Poy 2.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The bachelor party was a huge success, the groom to be was pretty drunk by the time we made him the captain in artemis which made for good hijinx. I think towerfall was probably the highlight as far as new games go. Nidhogg was a ton of fun too. Gang beasts was good drunken fun but the physics in that game need some serious work as it doesn't feel like your punches connect very well.

Parody Threads posted:

hrm sounds like you should check on the game "Strippers IRL"

The thought came up that we hire strippers to play strip magic(tg) but there was a concern that since we live in Portland we would probably get unlucky and end up with strippers that know how to play MTG and video games and then we'd end up with a bunch of naked dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
There are less depraved ways to demean strippers.

It just came out on Steam and I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm pretty sure Duck Game is going to be one of the good ones.

• Locked thread