Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
This is the very first installment of an ongoing web serial that I'm putting up online here twice a week. It's fantasy, nowhere near high/epic fantasy. The setting is based on late 19th century and early 20th century Tsarist Russia and early USSR. Here's the elevator pitch:

quote:

The Menelik twins are former necromancers, fleeing a bounty hunter who has pursued them across half a continent. He has cornered them in Wurmwald, a city languishing under a brutal colonial regime. The twins are changelings, descendants of a mortal man and an immortal shoggot. Their Flesh and Spirit are valuable magical components, priceless to any alchemist unscrupulous enough to make use of them. The twins' dark past has marked them out as outcasts, beyond the protection of the law and unlikely to be missed should they be harvested. The bounty hunter is merciless, relentless and almost mythic in reputation, with a coterie of frightful spirits in his command. With help from neither the powers that be nor the witches and sorcerers of the land, the twins have little chance of escaping him.

But there is hope. With the unlikely assistance of a sickly writer of homoerotic gothic horror and a factory girl who dabbles in herbalism and fortune-telling, the twins scheme to face their adversary and turn the tables. But the alliance is precarious. The truth of the twins' former lives may prove too much and shatter the brittle bonds they have forged.

HERE IS THE EXCERPT I want feedback on. Suggestions are turned on!

Thank you in advance. :)

EDIT: updated the pitch.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
On advice from the Fiction Writing megathread, I added an elevator pitch to the OP.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
I did a couple of things. I hope you're happy.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

epoch. posted:

I did a couple of things. I hope you're happy.

Oh, I definitely am! I'm grateful you pointed out stylistic errors, as the quality of my prose is something I struggle with and can't seem to get decent advise on.

• Locked thread