Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Every one of these cutins makes me think he's Spiderman without the hood. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose if you're going to have an equipment tutorial, getting geared up for school certainly fits the story.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
Well, it's been almost a month. Can we expect an update soon, or has real-life reared it's ugly head yet again?

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Oh please do Prisoner of Azkaban on the PC! I wasted SO many hours on that game....

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I may or may not have been sidetracked by the Four Job Fiesta, among other things. I have the screenshots made, I just need to upload them and all that stuff and make the update. It'll go up tomorrow.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Chapter 3 - Trains and Boats and Tentacles

Well, here we are. Platform 9 3/4, located between Platforms 9 and 10 of King's Cross Station on the other side of a brick wall.

Everyone's here to see their children off to Hogwarts aboard the Hogwarts Express. Never mind how no one ever notices the train making its way out of the station somehow and going to Hogwarts. Remember: Magic.

But no seriously this is the one bit from the series that makes me go "Wait......what?" when I really think about how that works, even from a magical standpoint. It's sort of explained, and yet...I don't know. poo poo's loving weird.

Yeah, lord knows there's plenty of space for them.

Oh hey, wonder who those people are.

Hello, is this the Hogwarts Express?

George and Fred, have you seen Percy?
Yes, he's up front with the other prefects.
Hey, Ron, do you know who this is?
George, it isn't polite to stare!

Better get on...the train's about to leave.

Well, I guess we'll formally meet them later.

Music - Hogwarts Express

There was supposed to be a sweet GIF here, but GoonCam was having absolutely NONE of that.

Here we are, aboard the Hogwarts Express.

Some of these portraits freak me out.

These two girls have the same face. I'm scared.

I'm desperately trying to think of any earth magic from the series and I am failing. Also this guy is famous.

I don't have words to describe some of these filler NPCs.

Finally, I can put a name to Fred and George's nearly identical portraits. Also yes, Fred and George Weasely, because apparently they aren't going to bother introducing them properly. Their brother is Ron, who we already saw and will be meeting shortly.

Who was it?
No one knows. It must have taken powerful dark magic to get in and out like that.

Hmmmmm...

What's the Daily Prophet?
The newspaper for wizards and witches. It has magic news from around the world, and a lot about Hogwarts, too.

No, sorry, I haven't.
Oh. Thank you. I wish he'd stop wandering off.

Yoooouuuuuuuuu!

I decided to skip a bunch of boring NPC dialog but let me remind you that Sorcerer's Stone takes place in 1991. The Game Boy came out 1990. What is this kid playing, Tetris?

Finally, our seat.

Yes, I am.
Oh...I thought it might be another of my brothers' jokes.

No.
No one here but us and my rat, Scabbers.

Christ.

I'm Hermione Granger, who are you?
Ron Weasley.
Harry Potter.
Really? I've read all about you. Do you cast spells yet? Would you like to learn one? Here's how you cast Verdimillious. No one in my family is magical, but I've learned all our course books by heart. Well, back to toad hunting. Bye.

Verdmillious, not Vermillious. Big difference.

Boy have I got news for you Ron.

Flavor Beans, and more!
Oh! She has Chocolate Frogs!
What are Chocolate Frogs? They aren't real frogs are they?
No, but they are tasty. Plus they have Famous Witches and Wizards Cards in them.
Great, another way to add to my collection

Oh god. Harry's becoming consumed by the cards. There wasn't even a period on the end of that sentence.

You collect them as well? There's a collector's club at Hogwarts...and I've heard you can use them to do magic. When you buy Chocolate Frogs look for one in the package.
Hmm...maybe I should buy some. Magical Famous Witches and Wizards Cards or not, you can't go wrong with chocolate.
What about Every Flavor Bean things? What flavors are there?
EVERY flavor and not just the good stuff. I think I had a dirt flavored one once.
Umm...how do you know what dirt tastes like?
Don't ask. You should get something though. Most taste pretty good. My brothers sell sweets at school, but they charge a lot more.

We can stock up on healing items if we want. We won't have any other use for money for a while. I decide to buy 5 Chocolate Frogs and 3 Pumpkin Pasties, since those are the only healing items here that matter.

Oh great, here comes trouble.

I am.
How disappointing. This is Crabbe and that's Goyle.
Grunt.
Snort.

Don't....don't ask me which is which. I don't know. I don't remember if the game ever makes a distinction.

I see you've met Weasley. Careful, Potter, you don't want to mix with the wrong people.
I know who the wrong people are.
You should be more polite, Potter, or you'll end up like Weasley here.

Yikes. Tension's getting thick here.

We don't feel like leaving until we have some of your sweets. Help yourselves, boys!
Squeak!

BOSS: Draco Malfoy

Oh crap I forgot to heal. Oh god. (Your last chance to heal is when you walk back to your seat after buying snacks.)

Verdmillious Uno is a burst of green sparks (get it? Verde?) and it's pretty good against Malfoy in this fight. As for what element it could stand for....uh....remember, obtuse.

Malfoy casts Vermillious during this fight. In fact, that's pretty much all he does because most enemies in this g-

Oh we're dead.

card combination for your Folio Triplicus. Use it if you face great danger.

You receive: Card Combination

Yep, it doesn't actually matter if you win or lose this fight. The dialogue slightly changes depending on the outcome, and you get a card combination either way. Also, if you lose, you have 1 SP when you go back to the field. Let's see if I remember this.

Is that all you have to say after my crushing defeat, Ron.

After walking around a bit more...

disembarking.

Music - Dungeons

Oh hey it's Hagrid again.

We'll be taking boats from here a'crost the lake to Hogwarts. Now keep yer hands an' feet inside the boat, and don't be draggin' yer wands in th' water. Oh, and mind the giant squid and other huge monsters.
Huge monsters?
I wish I knew a few spells.
Off ta the boats, then.

Yes, please!

Oh hey, free healing. Thank god, I have insurance against my stupidity.

There, that should feel better.
Thank you.
Now get on yer boat, Harry.

Music - The Lake

Oh god, a top-down perspective, what is this????

These dragonflies are pretty weak and can be taken out easily with Vermillious (red spark), or Verdmillious (green) if you feel like spending more AP.

Avoid the purple tenacles. They have more HP and hit for a lot harder.

Of course, sometimes even if you don't touch them specifically (I somehow didn't in that picture) you'll get into a battle with them anyway! They're weak to Verdmillious. Those other clam-thingies are like the dragonfiles.

There's supposed to be a mandatory battle against a tentacle here, I believe, but it, uh, didn't happen.

Music - Lake Caverns

I was just...um...thanks.
Now for a brisk walk through the dungeon and up to Hogwarts.
You there, got yer toad?
Yes, Trevor is right here, thank you.
Good. Now, stay close and don't wander off; there's some creepin' crawlin' nasties off the main path. Never mind that there might be treasure in the side corridors. Off we go, then.

Uh. Harry. You gonna....follow them? No?

Welcome to the next dungeon, the....uh....Hogwarts Dungeons. Next time we'll make it through and finally enter Hogwarts proper.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Unidentified Hogwarts Student Interested In Earth Magic would be a good username.

Also, is it odd that I read Neville's lines in potato Neville's voice from Potter Puppet Pals?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

The alternate title for this update was About 1,500 Results For Unidentified From Harry Potter Wiki

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I was about Harry's age in 92, I can confirm that EVERY kid had a green and white screened white brick of a game boy then. Super Mario Land was a killer launch title too.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
You didn't beat Malfoy.

I am disappointed, Malfoy since is an rear end in a top hat. Go back and do it right.:colbert:

quote:

I see you've met Weasley. Careful, Potter, you don't want to mix with the wrong people.
I forget exactly when the terms "Mudblood" and "Blood Traitor" appeared in the books (might have been Prisoner of Azkaban), but on some re-playthough it clicked to me that that's what Malfoy was/is talking about, and that's when kid me decided that I would never let him win in any playthrough again. I kept my vow, he's lost every time since then.

Also you got all the secret items in the train station right? Because there's a nice card there.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 30, 2015

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Color Printer posted:

Vermillious Uno is probably a fire attack, and it sends these rats running for the hills. Also the rats hit for like 2 damage. They are not threatening in the slightest.

Anyone remember this part? How the rat ran away when it lost all its hp? That happens to every enemy in the game. They don't die or get knocked out, they run away. I don't think there's a single exception.

So yeah I always thought it was weird that if you lose this fight you get knocked down or whatever and if you win draco just runs away

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TWIST FIST posted:

Anyone remember this part? How the rat ran away when it lost all its hp? That happens to every enemy in the game. They don't die or get knocked out, they run away. I don't think there's a single exception.

So yeah I always thought it was weird that if you lose this fight you get knocked down or whatever and if you win draco just runs away

Harry doesn't know how to cut his losses. Also, if I remember right, he had a tendency to get routinely knocked down or out in the books.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Wait a minute, the gameboy wouldn't work on the Hogwarts Express. Magic causes electronics to no longer work. I doubt a wizard would modify a Gameboy to work.

This game doesn't make any sense in the continuity of the Harry Potter universe.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh man, I played the gently caress out of the chamber of secrets/prisoner of azkaban games on pc.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fun fact, in a early version of the game it looks like you could have been screwed out of 100% if you lost.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

IAmTheRad posted:

Wait a minute, the gameboy wouldn't work on the Hogwarts Express. Magic causes electronics to no longer work. I doubt a wizard would modify a Gameboy to work.

This game doesn't make any sense in the continuity of the Harry Potter universe.

That effect is specifically noted to only affect Hogwarts itself, and even then not for all technology, just radar, radio and the like. Plothole solved!

:spergin:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

IAmTheRad posted:

The Weasley twins sell modchips as well as candy. Mystery solved. :colbert:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Color Printer posted:

I decided to skip a bunch of boring NPC dialog but let me remind you that Sorcerer's Stone takes place in 1991. The Game Boy came out 1990. What is this kid playing, Tetris?

What the hell? I grew up reading these books, and I had no idea they started in the early 90s. This is, like, big news to me right now. Do they ever directly mention the year?

theshim
May 1, 2012

zfleeman posted:

What the hell? I grew up reading these books, and I had no idea they started in the early 90s. This is, like, big news to me right now. Do they ever directly mention the year?
If I recall correctly, Chamber of Secrets takes place in 1992.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

The 500th Deathday party for Nearly-Headless Nick took place in Chamber of Secrets and they mention what year he died, so you can work out the year. I think J.K. Rowling said it was correct.

EDIT: Yeah, October 31st, 1492. 1492 + 500 = 1992.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Okay, so it's not explicitly stated, but drat. Looks like Sorcerer's Stone came out in '97. Yo, I don't read much, but is that weird to set a book six years in the past? Or did she start writing all of the books in '91?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

zfleeman posted:

Okay, so it's not explicitly stated, but drat. Looks like Sorcerer's Stone came out in '97. Yo, I don't read much, but is that weird to set a book six years in the past? Or did she start writing all of the books in '91?

She started writing that particular book in 1990 somewhere, yeah. Took her the better half of a decade to finish it and get it published, and started the sequels after that. Of course by that point the timeline was kinda set.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Oh, alright, cool. Crisis over.

Also, I wrote "Yo, I don't read much," earlier. I'm a loving idiot.

theshim
May 1, 2012

zfleeman posted:

Also, I wrote "Yo, I don't read much," earlier. I'm a loving idiot.
If it makes you feel any better, I read it in Homestar's voice :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they are just dumping dungeons on you left and right.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Maybe Unidentified Dirt Kid was talking about Herbology? That's the only earth magic thing I can think of in the series.

And jeez, this game has a lot of unexplored content. You'd think there'd be some idea of what things like cauldron choice did after this long.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

So that's what happens if Malfoy wins. I never lost to him myself. Like every Card combo and hidden card, what you get here depends on which deck you pick at the beginning of the game. But it's always something to sabotage you.

Back when I was a kid, I figured the spell elements were (Wind), (Red Fireworks), (Green Light), and (Actual Fire).

Cauldron choice is pretty much a common sense thing - you need to use the one listed in the potion recipe. But yeah, there's nothing the Collapsible cauldron can do that every other type can't. Should have just gone with the copper one. Copper is used for the basic MP recovery potions.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Okay, I call bullcrap on the gameboy. Magic prevents electricity from working, I'm pretty sure. It was mentioned in one of the books, not sure which.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe it's not strong enough on the Hogwarts Express? Kid's in for a serious disappointment when he gets to school, though.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Dabir posted:

Maybe it's not strong enough on the Hogwarts Express? Kid's in for a serious disappointment when he gets to school, though.

Maybe its just at Hogwarts. But yeah, there is a reason Hogwarts uses candlelight.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The movies showed that Hogwarts at least has working, modern, muggle plumbing. That's gotta be a relief for newly arriving muggleborns.

I wonder if they hired a muggle contractor for the Hogwarts bathrooms.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The movies showed that Hogwarts at least has working, modern, muggle plumbing. That's gotta be a relief for newly arriving muggleborns.

Impossible. Muggles when near Hogwarts suddenly remember they had an important appointment to keep, or see it as decrepit ruins.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
They could have hired the muggle spouse of a wizard.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

They could have hired the muggle spouse of a wizard.

Hmm. They do have a Muggle studies, so maybe.
Edit: Squibs.

Silegna fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 7, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why wouldn't they just have a big pot with a flushing lever that activated a vanishing spell on the contents? Wizards are retarded as gently caress.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh man, I played this game so much as a kid, I know I beat it several times, but looking at it now I don't remember a drat thing about it. I remember some battles and Peeves being a gigantic rear end in a top hat later on, but other than that, nothing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I like how Ron's portrait is basically just :unsmith: and Harry's "excited" face is just :haw: incarnate.

between this and the other GBA game i think there's potential for a Harry Potter section alone on smilies.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

PT6A posted:

Wizards are retarded as gently caress.

Understatement of the century right here.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Every wizard in every piece of fiction ever has completely overlooked/ignored the most sensible thing to do with magic, namely make your life infinitely easier forever and probably everyone else's too. Instead all they do is go around creating artifacts of doom and other shotgun-like implements and leave them around for normal people to find and use to summon eldritch horrors from beyond the stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

High intelligence, low wisdom score every time.

• Locked thread