Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tlarn posted:

I still find it sad that "Being a soldier sucks" is a fresh take on this genre, but I'm glad at least someone is taking that road.

What do you mean, there's totally that sentiment in the CoD and Battlefield games, along with their clones, if you ignore that they also do a lengthy job of celebrating the opposite at every opportunity and marketing push :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Part of the problem with translating that sentiment to a game is that it's apparently hard to make a game with this statement fun - and it's an effort and risk most companies aren't willing to make.
All the better this game exists.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So here's an important Episode 1 question.

Adams and Lugo says that there's someone watching you, probably, before you reach the signal. While you can see the three guys beneath the sand bus playing dead, do you ever see anyone in the distance or out of the corner of your eyes or anything in the lead-up to that?

There's a ton of details in this game and many are easy for one pair of eyes to miss, so I'm genuinely curious if there's any other people who've seen the mystery Stalkersayswhat.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There was a website I found years ago, that I sadly can't find now, that had a collection of concept art and general background art for different videogames. Spec Ops: The Line had some of the best looking art in the collection, especially the insides of the buildings. It gets really beautiful in places. I'm not even gonna spoil which, but you'll know the best one when you see it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

So here's an important Episode 1 question.

Adams and Lugo says that there's someone watching you, probably, before you reach the signal. While you can see the three guys beneath the sand bus playing dead, do you ever see anyone in the distance or out of the corner of your eyes or anything in the lead-up to that?

There's a ton of details in this game and many are easy for one pair of eyes to miss, so I'm genuinely curious if there's any other people who've seen the mystery Stalkersayswhat.

You can't see anyone, I don't think, but you can hear a murmuring just barely audible over the distress signal before Lugo asks if anyone heard anything. I was talking at the time and the game's volume was a bit low anyway so you probably can't hear it on the final video, but I did hear it when I was recording.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

pkfan2004 posted:

There was a website I found years ago, that I sadly can't find now, that had a collection of concept art and general background art for different videogames. Spec Ops: The Line had some of the best looking art in the collection, especially the insides of the buildings. It gets really beautiful in places. I'm not even gonna spoil which, but you'll know the best one when you see it.
Dead End Thrills? That's the website I usually think of when looking for videogame art stuff.

[MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING at that link btw.]

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inferior posted:

Linking that just after the first episode was an incredibly bad idea!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Inferior posted:

Hey come on leave the Neruzing to Neruz.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Fish Noise posted:

If you haven't blocked Neruz you are reading the subforum wrong.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Excellent, I have become well known enough to have a behavior named after me. Soon my internet fame will be complete!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Apologies, I wasn't aware providing a clearly marked link to a website that contains spoilers was the same thing as just flat out spoiling poo poo.

(This is a pretty game though. Besides all the ruined Dubai stuff, my favourite little touch is the design of the level select screen.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just noticed another disturbing theme here between LPs;

Ke$ha

Kafka

Konrad

Half-Life 3 confirmed!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 6, 2015

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup
An LP of This game :D CJacobs, you beautiful man! I have wanted to see it for ages, because I've heard so many good things about the writing. Even bought it a while ago, but the gameplay was really not my thing so an LP is just what I need. So looking forward to this, gonna be an exciting ride.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
I used to love playing the old Spec Ops games (because I was like 13 and only had four games). Pretty sure the furthest I got on any of them was level 4, but I played them all the time trying to get past that part. The nostalgia in me was actually a little bit disappointed because of this game being related only in name, so I never did pick it up, but I heard amazing things about it. Unfortunately I had the story kinda spoiled for me, but it'll be nice to see it all the way through.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nine-gear crow posted:

I just noticed another disturbing theme here between LPs;

Ke$ha

Kafka

Konrad

Half-Life 3 confirmed!

The Special K's was the most unnerving pop band in history. The only one to have been awarded a Lead Record for their bottom-of-the-charts hit: Fear Fear Pain Blood.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Fish Noise posted:

JossiRossi posted:

If you haven't blocked Neruz you are reading the subforum wrong.

You are always welcome in my threads, Neruz. They are a safe space. A Safe Space 3.

Speedball posted:

It's CJacobs. Adams and Lugo unwittingly broke the 4th wall!!! :tinfoil:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

It's CJacobs. Adams and Lugo unwittingly broke the 4th wall!!! :tinfoil:

Y'know, if this were a Hideo Kojima game, or XCOM: The Bureau I'd buy this.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Speedball posted:

Y'know, if this were a Hideo Kojima game, or XCOM: The Bureau I'd buy this.
Dead Space 2, even! Didn't crow notice it during one of Stross' freakouts?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

Dead Space 2, even! Didn't crow notice it during one of Stross' freakouts?

Yeah, Stross looks directly at you, the player, pretty much at the point where he becomes undeniably dangerously crazy instead of ineffectually crazy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Stross looks directly at you, the player, pretty much at the point where he becomes undeniably dangerously crazy instead of ineffectually crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5BTet7iuwQ

Happens at 5:40 for those curious.

And for the record, there is precedent for me being a part of the game already and it's only been one video! That "Special Guest - Doomish" opening credit in the intro wasn't added by me in post (Doomish is my steam name)!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5BTet7iuwQ

Happens at 5:40 for those curious.

And for the record, there is precedent for me being a part of the game already and it's only been one video! That "Special Guest - Doomish" opening credit in the intro wasn't added by me in post (Doomish is my steam name)!

Does it do that in the console versions? I can't recall if it did or not when I played it on the PS3, and that is one fascinating detail regardless.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yes. it just picks up your PSN account name or gamertag depending on your console.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can spot a cracked PC version if it says "special guest SKIDROW".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Aaaaaaaah Spec Ops: The Line

I was quite surprised when I looked it up 2 years ago when I decided to buy it because I had it confused with the CoD Spec Ops and thought to myself "since when is a CoD game made in the 2010's considered 'groundbreaking' or 'a fresh take' :raise:" and was quite happy to see that it wasn't a CoD game and the back of the game and I don't think I knew anything about the game at all before putting the disc into my PS3, but I noticed it was published by the people that brought us Bioshock and L.A. Noire so I knew I was at least going to enjoy the game.

When they mentioned Konrad I immediately was like "holy poo poo it's Heart of Darkness :aaaaa:, it's Apocalypse Now in game form :fap:" and I am super happy that I got to find that out without anyone telling me about it first, made me enjoy the game more

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

chitoryu12 posted:

Along with gameplay, one major criticism I see (predominately from the "It's not THAT good, guys" camp of negative people) is that the story is derivative

There's a difference between something being derivative, and something being an homage. There are a lot of people that cannot grasp any form of subtlety.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Time to find out what the hell is going on in Dubai. And hey, who's ready for another episode of "CJacobs calls a gun the wrong name for an entire episode and then corrects himself later when he realizes he's a dumbass"?? I know I am!

The music featured in this episode is 'Hush' by Deep Purple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PNvopXjbg

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Captain Bravo posted:

There's a difference between something being derivative, and something being an homage. There are a lot of people that cannot grasp any form of subtlety.

To be fair, when a game that's a deliberate homage to Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness has a major character called "Konrad" I dunno if subtlety's the word.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, what do you call it when there's a Kurtz in Apocalypse Now? Same deal.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Very apocalipstick.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Aww I thought that doll was a banana and it was gunna be chowdown time. Also drat that's a lot of candles. I guess it makes sense the rich and powerful would squander their supplies by lighting a shitton of candles then walking away to the oppsite side of Dubai.
The graffiti art is pretty nice in this game. It's not random rear end poo poo thrown on the walls. There's a pinch of thought going into it. I liked the one right before the wall of three children. It almost looks like someone standing on the stairs. I can't tell if that one's wearing a crown or has its head exploded. Why the hell would they put a Jesus Christ like art on the walls in a mainly Muslim city?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TomViolence posted:

To be fair, when a game that's a deliberate homage to Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness has a major character called "Konrad" I dunno if subtlety's the word.

i always saw Spec Ops The Line as a re-imagining rather than a homage, but it doesn't really matter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the topic of ammo, Spec Ops has a relatively realistic ammo system. The M4 and AK don't fire even close to the same "bullet type"; the M4 is 5.56x45mm and the AK is 7.62x39mm. Some games (like Far Cry 2 and 3) share ammo types between types of gun even if it's not realistic, but Spec Ops accounts for different ammunition. You don't just pick up AK mags and suddenly have M4 mags.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, by "bullet type" I meant "type of gun", like how walking over a machine gun in most games gives you ammo for whatever machine gun you have, shotguns give you generic shotgun ammo, etc. In Spec Ops they only give you ammo for the type of gun you currently have in your hand, everything else just gives a switch prompt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

For the record, by "bullet type" I meant "type of gun", like how walking over a machine gun in most games gives you ammo for whatever machine gun you have, shotguns give you generic shotgun ammo, etc. In Spec Ops they only give you ammo for the type of gun you currently have in your hand, everything else just gives a switch prompt.

Yeah, generally almost every gun in a particular category in Spec Ops uses a different cartridge in real life and they all use different magazines from one another (Walker's M4 and Lugo's TAR-21 are the only two assault rifles/battle rifles to share magazines in the whole game and you never get Lugo's gun from enemies) and so they're all separated in the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swear I don't remember the yellow smiley-face on that graffiti in the sand-blasted news room before. I remember the skull-faced people, though.

Does the graffiti change? Maybe it does!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Oh man I forgot about the graffiti of the hollow-eyed children. I did remember the hotel's beautiful purple color scheme though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

pkfan2004 posted:

Oh man I forgot about the graffiti of the hollow-eyed children. I did remember the hotel's beautiful purple color scheme though.

Yeah, the graffiti in this game is creepy and a good contrast to the super beautiful graphics/color grading! Speaking of the graphics, future videos will be in 1080p because I worked out a system where I can render at night and post videos in the morning. Usually rendering out a 720p 60fps video takes about an hour and a half on my computer, so I usually do it while I'm physically present because that's not too long to be without videogames or whatever; but rendering 1080p 60fps can take up to 4 or 5 depending on the bitrate and so I've kind of been discouraged from doing it because I can't just render out a video on the fly whenever I want.

But because of this revolutionary new system of "just render out the videos while I'm asleep" that I'm sure nobody has thought of, I will be able to bring you Spec Ops: The Line in stunning 1080p! Fun fact, I actually record ALL of my LPs in 1080p, even Max Payne 3 was, mostly to make it so that the UI elements and subtitles don't take up a bunch of screen space to better highlight the games in question's graphics. It also allows me to downsample in editing and on the final video, which adds a little bit of smoothness to the video without costing me any real noticeable extra render time. So look forward to that!

I'm also going to make a block in the OP below the Table of Contents for the game's soundtrack complete with polsy links, because every loving link to the licensed music in Spec Ops is full of Spec Ops spoilers because these Youtube comment fuckers just cannot help themselves. I will be posting these pieces of music as they show up in the videos.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Hey, bitchin'. I hope this game looks good in 1080p.

Also I forgot to mention this in my last post, but I remembered that the Radioman is voiced by a crazy man's less crazy son, Jake Busey. Managed to get a little bit of star power in for the VAs.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

On the topic of ammo, Spec Ops has a relatively realistic ammo system. The M4 and AK don't fire even close to the same "bullet type"; the M4 is 5.56x45mm and the AK is 7.62x39mm. Some games (like Far Cry 2 and 3) share ammo types between types of gun even if it's not realistic, but Spec Ops accounts for different ammunition. You don't just pick up AK mags and suddenly have M4 mags.

Of course, beating somebody to death with the butt of your rifle causes him to magically cough up ammo for whatever guns you're carrying, no matter what he was using. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
How else do you think bullets get made, a factory?

• Locked thread