Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
tl;dr: Former chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee Bob Graham has retired and gone on record that Saudi Arabia were the, "principle financiers," of 9/11 and, "the initial stages of ISIS;" is calling for the 9/11 report's declassification.

Article's paywalled so gently caress em', here it is:

Article: Secret 9/11 dossier said to implicate Saudi Arabia in attack
Date: June 5, 2015

quote:

Bob Graham, who was chairman of the US Senate Intelligence Committee, at the time, says an inquiry that he led uncovered evidence that the Saudis were the “principal financier”.

However, a 28-page chapter of the final report, believed to point a damning finger at the Saudi hierarchy, was redacted by the president George W. Bush.

“The effect of withholding [the 28 redacted pages] has been to embolden Saudi Arabia to be a continuing source of financial and human terror resources,” Mr Graham told The Times.

The suppressed chapter holds the potential to reshape US policy in the Middle East, he believes. Now retired, Mr Graham is demanding that the suppressed pages be released — a campaign that has now won backing in the US Senate for the first time.

The former Florida senator and governor argues that by keeping the pages hidden, the White House has signalled that Saudi Arabia has “impunity — protected not only from sanctions, but even from disclosure”. He said that the secrecy had helped elements within Saudi Arabia to continue to propagate their extreme Wahhabi version of Islam, and to pour money and manpower into al-Qa’ia and “the initial phase of ISIS”.

Riyadh has vehemently denied playing any part in the attacks, but the 28 pages have become infamous since they were produced in 2002. The document is held in a secure room beneath the US Capitol, in a file titled “Finding, Discussion and Narrative Regarding Certain Sensitive National Security Matters”.

The second President Bush ordered that the chapter be redacted, arguing that it would expose “sources and methods that would make it harder for us to win the war on terror”.

Walter Jones, a Republican congressman from North Carolina, has read the pages — under watch to make sure he didn’t take notes — and rejects the idea that national security is at stake. “I would say it this way: it’s about relationships, about relationships in the Middle East, and the Bush administration.”

Thomas Massie, a Republican congressman from Kentucky, said of reading the chapter: “I had to stop every couple of pages ... to rearrange my understanding of history. It challenges you to rethink everything.”

Another person who read the redacted pages suggested that the contents would embarrass the Saudi royals and the family of George W Bush.

The pages are thought to deal, in part, with Nawaf al-Hazmi and Khalid al-Mihdhar, two Saudi Arabians who helped to hijack the American Airlines jet that was flown into the Pentagon as part of the attacks. While living in southern California, they were allegedly supported by Omar al-Bayoumi, a Saudi citizen said to have been in contact with the Saudi embassy in Washington. The Saudi government has denied that he was a spy.

Hazmi and Mihdhar were in contact with Osama Basnan, another Saudi citizen, whose wife is said to have received money — ostensibly for medical treatment — from a Saudi princess.

A separate joint congressional inquiry — known as the 9/11 Commission — failed to find a link between Saudi Arabia and the attacks. Philip Zelikow, its director, told The New Yorker magazine last year that the 28 secret pages contained “an agglomeration of preliminary, unvetted reports”, which his staff were unable to stand up.

However, the effort to make the secret chapter public is gaining momentum. Rand Paul, the Republican Kentucky senator who is running for president, added his name to the cause this week and a bill to release the pages is being introduced in the US Senate for the first time. “The survivors, civilian heroes, and families of the victims of the terrorist attacks ... deserve to know the truth,” said Mr Paul, who played a key part in resisting the mass surveillance of phone records this week with his opposition to the Patriot Act.

Meanwhile, Mr Graham has resorted to unconventional measures to publicise his concerns. He penned a spy novel, The Keys to the Kingdom, which tells how a state department staffer “uncovers a shocking international conspiracy linking the Saudi Kingdom to Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda”.

And, "the initial phase of ISIS."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
but op, jet fuel can't melt steel beams

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Lol @ ppl who buy the official story of 9/11

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
bin laden and the al qaeda crew were pretty lame and isolated for the most part, they got really lucky

some saudi royals might've kicked em some money but that's a different thing from the 9/11 attacks being a saudi state-backed op, OP

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
but lmao the saudi regime is one of the worst in the world and the rest of the world should treat them as pariahs regardless

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
Jet fuel can't melt laser beams.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
We knew this back in like 2004. Here's the thing; no one cared.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
nuke 'em from orbit

it's the only way to be sure

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Time to see if Jet Fuel can melt Saudi bank accounts.

naem
May 29, 2011

America pays like half as much as Europe for gas, thanks insane theocracy dictatorship allies

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
See the thing is they have oil and money.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
So should I scowl at the Saudi kids at my school?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Edgar posted:

kill their parents

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Edgar posted:

That's mean, Edgar

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Let's join Team Shi'ite

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i hope everyone dies

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
i went to school with a guy from saudi arabia and he was a gay-bashing, lady-hating, poo poo-at-driving rear end in a top hat.

he wrecked his nice, new honda driving drunk back to campus when he hit a parked car. his friends/family arranged for his car to be transported to chicago and repaired, no authorities involved.

gently caress saudi arabia.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

add a degree of scowl for each additional digit in their parents "net worth", just like with americans

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol if there was a recording of king fahd telling the captain of the plane to slam it into the tower america wouldnt do poo poo

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
And Emergent Biosolutions, developers of the Anthrax Vaccine used by the Department of Defense has heavy ties to the Bush White House. The Anthrax attacks following 9/11 were designed to generate paranoia of potential anthrax attacks among the general population so nobody would blink when the White House required 2.7 million members of the DoD to be vaccinated. Lots of investors and staff moved between the White House and EBS, making billions for the company and its investors. The dose, which cost under $5 to make was sold at between 27 and 90 USD per dose, and requires five shots the first year and an annual booster every year afterwards. The formula was approved by the FDA in 1970, despite not completing the required testing. Additionally, the manufacturing plant has frequently failed FDA safety inspections, leading to millions of contaminated batches being sent out. The DoD has spent tens of billions on this program, despite the fact that the vaccine has never been shown to be effective in humans, and 95% of those billions have been in pure profit for EBS and the Bush White House.

(EBS was not involved in the R&D of the vaccine, and so did not have to cover those costs with its exorbitant price)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if only native americans were the inhabitants of saudi arabia then we would have simply taken their land for free way back when
makes you think

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
bd9

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
9/11 is from like 14 TV seasons ago, not sure why anyone should care, people just need to let it go and forget IMO

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

America pays like half as much as Europe for gas, thanks insane theocracy dictatorship allies

Lol if you are actually this dumb

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

i study with a bunch of saudi air force dudes and they a pretty whack and gross. whenever i go into the toilets there's a saudi doing a real nasty squirt liquid poo that stinks i think they eat too much hummus

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"I can't believe it" - nobody, in 2001 and then again in 2014.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who cares

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

saudi licious

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

george w bush loves to slob the saudi arabian knob

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

what a knobhead

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

krampster2 posted:

i study with a bunch of saudi air force dudes and they a pretty whack and gross. whenever i go into the toilets there's a saudi doing a real nasty squirt liquid poo that stinks i think they eat too much hummus

seriously, what is the deal with this?

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

it's called a bidet

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

krampster2 posted:

um what are you studying with saudi airforce men.......?! pretty sus picious iyam

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
hmm..very interesting op but how are the duggars involved??

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

geroge w. bush sounds like a wop name and saudis have plenty of oil..hmmm

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
saudi arabia is a country. countries cant fly planes, op

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
well yeah most of the hi-jackers were saudis