Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Stromboli posted:

e: Regarding the actual game being played, the whole cheesiness in combat seems less to me like you're abusing the game and more that it's relatively easy to avoid death with the duo going. I'm not sure if that's cheesing the system or the system not being balanced and having to let the player keep reviving the characters over and over. It could be a quick solution to a bigger problem they had. Not having played it myself though, I can't really say for sure. Just looks that way.

I consider it cheese sort of like how in Starcraft certain moves/opener strategies are considered "cheese" in that it's sorta gimmicky and not in the "spirit" of what is meant to be done. Which is why I said I won't be using that technique in the LP.

Also, while I appreciate the talk about the motiff & how this game compares to other titles that may have done it better we should try to keep the discussion focused on this particular game as much as we can. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I keep hearing Styx and Arkail as Sticks and Our Guy.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 12, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Premiere is acting up, so the video may not be uploaded until later tonight. I'll post it here as soon as its ready.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We meet with Oboth, kill a few humans, and get lost in a linear map.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They sure like hearing themselves talk about how great and important they are.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And we're back! This time we take care of a pest problem...sorta...oh and discover new bugs!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just a heads up, since I am terrible at keeping a schedule I changed the OP to reflect a new release schedule of every Tuesday. Two vids a week was a bit too ambitious for me given my other projects etc.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Been a little while since the last episode and I apologize for missing last week's release. We have a new episode this week and we also have a choice to make.

Do we go and confront Dorek, allowing us to finish the Challenge of the Black Hand, or do we move on with the main story?

Voting ends Saturday at 23:59 Eastern US.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm guessing there's no harm in doing the side missions.

I don't mind it too much when games keep story and side missions segregated, but I think it'd be cool for the game to make things harder on you (say, more guards added because you gave them time to prepare) if you procrastinated to do every side mission.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I find interesting is the presence of the inquisition in the universe. Obviously, when you put the story from the perspective of the orcs, you need some kind of a really sinister faction differentiated from the normal enemies, inquisition is really good for that: it's just so wonderfully uncontroversially evil you don't even question what they're doing there - solving in-church power struggles, trying to uproot heretics that what, talk to the orcs? Who cares about the context, it's the inquisition!
It's the equivalent of using the Nazis in a modern game, is what I'm saying.

edit: I guess I'm disappointed by this in a game that works on the premise of warping fantasy tropes isn't more aware of them.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 7, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, there was certainly a lot of potential here but I think the writers just 1) didn't know which way they wanted to go or 2) wanted to play it safe.

It's a shame, the game could have been good if things had been just more refined.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orcs love sidequests. Who has time for anything important when there is loot and xp to be had?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Arkail wants to murder him, why shouldn't we go nuts?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh also, do you guys really want to see the character upgrades being made at each level or do you not mind that stuff being cut out and just explained in the VO?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

I'm fine with not staring at menus. Putting on new gear should stay in because otherwise it's not very noticable during gameplay.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why are you playing this terrible game when you could be playing the sequel

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Why are you playing this terrible game when you could be playing the sequel

Because its the game I wanted to LP. It's not that complicated really.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Yeah, I'm liking this game and this LP so far. Seems like some cool ideas even if the encounter design kinda falls flat.

I don't need to stat point allocations but I do appreciate watching the models equip new armor and whatnot. I'm super curious about what this Vial of Human Blood does.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

After a bit of a layoff I'm back with another episode. Stick through until the end as we have another choice to make and knowing why there's a choice is a bit important to that plot point.

Sarkyss or Arken?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice wrestling move from Arkail against the trainer there. Made me think of this scene from Batman: You are beaten! Now I will break you!

How did they survive that fall? There wasn't even any water below.

Go and save the Arken, I'm sure it'll work this time.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 23, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know to be honest. I think maybe they just bounced off stuff and didn't get hurt that bad? Even then if they took damage from a human swinging a sword, surely they'd be in a lot of pain after that big of a fall.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's a general rule of fantasy the Orcs are tougher than humans, so that sort of explains Arkail. I guess Styx is just light enough that he bounced.

For that matter, I'm starting to like Arkail as a protagonist more. Now that we've got his whole berserker shtick hammered out, it's nice to see that he's got some depth to him too, given his familiarity with the spiritual side of his people. It would've been pretty easy to just make him a stereotypical meatgrinder and have him play off Styx that way. It's also interesting that Ark's the one who keeps wanting to do sidequests that involve rescuing people or "punishing the wicked."

Go save Arken. I love the idea of an Orc Paladin.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 24, 2015

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Sarkyss can wait. Arken is a friend and battle companion, or at least as much as Bloodjaws have friends, so it only seems right that you do what you can to save him.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Save Arken. Our fella has done enough messing about with side quests en-route, so there's no reason not to do this one too.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[]

We're off to go save Arken as you requested.

I'll just say this episode features a lot of me bitching about the maps because I just really dislike the linearity of them throughout the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Hey! I'm a professional! It's not my fault I've got reflexes!"

Anyway, it was a nice change to hit the leader first and the underlings afterward.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
So Styx is the only sapient goblin? I had figured that the feral ones had just lost their minds in the catacombs, but the dialogue seems to now imply otherwise.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hammurabi posted:

So Styx is the only sapient goblin? I had figured that the feral ones had just lost their minds in the catacombs, but the dialogue seems to now imply otherwise.

Yeah so far he's the only Goblin that has ever been known to talk.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't forgotten about this LP. I've just been sort of lazy about getting the next update out, new episode will be out on Sunday. Promise.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cool dude. I would never have looked at this game twice but it's somehow endearing with all the swearing and how it tries so hard to be edgy, and you've done a great job of showing it off.

Also, this game and the other game just about Styx presumably stabbing people in the back are both on sale on Steam for $7.50 each for a few more days.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hammurabi posted:

Yeah, he is unique. Which is partly why the events of Styx happen, which is a good loving game and worth checking out, for sure. It's a pure stealth game, though, which owes a lot more to Thief than to any crpg.

Cyanide games are pretty janky but they're charming. This game and Game of Thrones RPG are probably their best straight RPGs, though; their earlier stuff is pretty much irredeemable.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 5, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

We have a decision to make.

Do we help the rioting orcs or do we not? Just need a Yes or No.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Of course

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell yes. Tear down the system.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Yes!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Did that one orc speak with a Scottish accent? Heresy!

Yes, help.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just dropping by to say I finally caved in and bought Styx's Big Magical Adventure. Enjoying it greatly so far, so thanks for that; I probably wouldn't even have noticed that game if not for this LP.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anilEhilated posted:

Just dropping by to say I finally caved in and bought Styx's Big Magical Adventure. Enjoying it greatly so far, so thanks for that; I probably wouldn't even have noticed that game if not for this LP.

Its a good game. I haven't completed it yet, but it's a stark difference between Orcs & Men thanks to a more focused approach to the design.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This game's story is pretty cool.

Voting Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
I'm going to vote yes, and I'm curious. How much longer is the game? I've quite enjoyed it so far although the character dialog seems really quiet and I had to turn up my speakers to hear.

• Locked thread