Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Peaky Blinders - Mostly just season 1
Peep Show
15 Stories high
League of Gentlemen
That Mitchel and Webb Look
Family Dinner
The Fades
Snuff Box
Blacks Books - It's almost bad,But for some reason I like it.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Nathan Barley is very funny if you like sneering at people.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
15 Stories High is a pro choice too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-9DS6Z3lY

Forums Influencer
Jul 4, 2010

Ddraig posted:

15 Stories High is a pro choice too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-9DS6Z3lY

15 Stories High is one of the pro-est choices possible. I'd put it alongside Ideal as the best things BBC3 has ever done.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
three pages and no im alan partridge or the thick of it

shameful thread

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
soccer or something i guess

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
3 loving pages and no one mentioned The Thick of it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Definitely the Thick of It.

Seconding the recommendation for Luther, that's a great show and Idris Elba is boss.

If you're bored just set your ZenMate to UK and go through every BBC comedy/cop show/drama on Netflix, you'll never run out.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Just watch BBC parliament or Question Time and drink every time someone says any of the following phrases:
- the previous government caused (insert bullshit)
- national credit card
- hard working taxpayers (take two drinks if this is followed with 'who just want to get on')
- british values
- big society

Also, when watching Question Time, drink any time anything is blamed on:
- immigrants
- the unemployed (drink twice for usage of the word 'scrounger')
- muslims (drink twice for usage of the word 'islamist')
- women

Do this for three or four hours and you'll feel like a proper British person. Sometimes you get a situation where every single one of those blame groups gets listed in a single sentence and you're probably gonna be out for the count. Good luck.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

i thought Luther was okay, iunno

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

monty python lol spam spam spam spam hahaha

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Up the Cheshire Sconce
Finley Brasshoulme, Where Are You
Pompidou
Tax Annal Reconciliation
Lit'l Met'l Bot'lecaps
Larder Inconvenience
Fahrenheit Empire

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Looks like pretty much every good show has already been mentioned but how has nobody brought up Plebs?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For you UK goons, where do you rank Foyle's War? I stay away from the WWII fan boys, but it one of the few UK shows that kept my attention, until like season 4 or 5 where it felt like it was getting formulaic.

Other than that and the first season of Sherlock (second season felt like the writing was "looser" or something) I haven't found a british show that has really drawn me in.

I watched the pilot of Orphan Black and wasn't that interested in continuing. The main actress is good and convincing, but the entire show has this "BBC feel" for lack of a better term that reminded me of watching fair to middling actors on a stage, and not in a good way. In a similar vein network shows (Fox, CBS, ABC) have this "network look" that is sort of lovely.

I tried to get into Identity because of Aidan Gillen, but it never clicked.

So what do you guys recommend? Start with Luther and Wire in the Blood? Any actual hard scifi shows (ie not Dr Who)?

What American shows are the most popular with your crowd?

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 12, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Threads is just about the most depressing thing you're ever likely to watch. That of course is assuming you have never see When the Wind Blows.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

black mirror is the only correct answer

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
If you like The Thick of It and Stephen Fry then you must try Absolute Power which combines the two of them. Best thing Fry has done IMO.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Bottom.

FBIASSMAN69
Aug 15, 2006

also yeah peep show rules

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

it's

black books

and

snuff box

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
BBC World News Tonight

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think my favorite think about british shows is that they keep going well past their prime and the actors leave to go to other poo poo over time and are replaced with other characters and before you know it none of the original cast is there but it's somehow still the same show

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
I haven't seen Red Dwarf mentioned yet, that's a classic. Peep Show, The Thick of It, and any Alan Partridge shows are the best.

Help (2005) was loving hilarious and amazing except for that Chris Langham had to be a pedophile, like all British people.

Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive and Saxondale were alright. The Trip is great.

How Not to Live Your Life was decent, so was Rev. Pulling is OK. Spaced and Hyperdrive were good. Man Stroke Woman was a good sketch show.

How could I forget The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret? If you count that as a UK show...

Megiddo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
Good call on Peep Show. The first episode had me hooked. Some goon recommended it to me years ago back when Omegle was released and goons rushed it (meaning 1 in 3 chance you got set up with a goon. What did we use to say? Shoes on the head or something?) I never did check it out thought so it was nice to be reminded. He also listed like 10 other UK comedies I should check out, but my list was on a computer that has long passed away. I'm guessing many of them are the ones listed here.

• Locked thread