Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I mean really Do people actually believe everything that is genetically modified is a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
ur mom does - now

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
I;ve got somethign genetically modified for you its dis dick and deeze nuts OP

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

extremely hot take op

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

yes, very fresh, organic fresh

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

You are making some v good and controversial threads today Mr. LeoMarr. Thanks for contributing!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
GMOs in general are good.

People in general are morons.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

grandpas drunk posted:

I;ve got somethign genetically modified for you its dis dick and deeze nuts OP

what happened to your dick? why is it genetically modified??

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

infusion of hgh to remedy babydick syndrome

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

It was too big it kept making the danged buttons on my fly break off!!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

pretty sure this is only an issue in california with an overlapping vinn diagram of vaccine autism cranks

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
GMO crops mean more pesticide use. Since the crops are designed to be resistant to proprietary pesticides farmers overuse them and eventually create weeds and pests resistant to them. Which means even stronger toxins are needed which creates even more resistant etc etc. Me, I'll stick with something that isn't filled with Roundup-derived endocrine disruptors.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Beef Turret posted:

GMO crops mean more pesticide use. Since the crops are designed to be resistant to proprietary pesticides farmers overuse them and eventually create weeds and pests resistant to them. Which means even stronger toxins are needed which creates even more resistant etc etc. Me, I'll stick with something that isn't filled with Roundup-derived endocrine disruptors.

please dont troll

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Turret posted:

cool meanwhile the rest of the world relies on GMO foods to survive

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
They are good and bad, OP. That's my nuanced, informed opinion.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
of course they arent. people are loving retarded

every plant you eat is genetically modified, whether they put the gene in or not.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
OP is a Monsanto agent

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

cool meanwhile the rest of the world relies on GMO foods to survive

Definitely worth the ecological devastation

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

GMOs in general are good.

People in general are morons.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Wish they could genetically modify my dick, it is not getting the job done

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Turret posted:

Definitely worth the ecological devastation

what are you talking about?

You know that the rice that most of Asia lives off of is genetically modified for increased yields and without it hundreds of millions would have died of famine right?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
People call it Frankenfood. But Frankenfood would actually just be different parts of different foods all assembled together into one dish. Which is what most food is.

Edit: Actually I suppose it would be the chef that puts it together wouldn't it?

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

of course they arent. people are loving retarded

every plant you eat is genetically modified, whether they put the gene in or not.

Disingenuous argument. Genetic modification is the process whereby a gene from one species is transplanted into another species. This has never been done by humans before the late 20th century.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Inevitable posted:

Disingenuous argument. Genetic modification is the process whereby a gene from one species is transplanted into another species. This has never been done by humans before the late 20th century.

The plant isnt going to give you super aids or start talking to you dude.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

what are you talking about?

You know that the rice that most of Asia lives off of is genetically modified for increased yields and without it hundreds of millions would have died of famine right?

That's what I'm referencing. The fact billions of people are gonna industrialize soon and the ecological devastation is gonna accelerate even further

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Just about every food you eat is not in a "genetically natural" state; it's been changed at the very least by selective breeding to make genes change or switch on and off.

Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kale, Brussel Sprout, are all freak forms of brassica wild cabbage.

Sweet corn is modified so that the sugar doesn't turn into starch.

Apples are modified to be large with a lot of sugar, original non modified forms of all eating apples would be crab apples.

Tomatoes in natural wild form are blueberry to cherry sized.

List goes on, where do you draw the line on what is "OK" or "God intended" or not. If it's good for you? So if you can manipulate genes more directly and make the food healthier or more nutritious then how is that different or wrong? Like, aren't apples bad because they are "modified" to have much higher sugar?

The answer is easy, GMO is a buzz term and you get social justice points for picking up the bullet points whatever they are and just repeating and doing them without thinking about it for yourself.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Yeah let's compare selective breeding with direct intervention into the genome as if one necessarily leads to the other. What's a science cheerleading thread without teleologues

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yes, selective breeding is far, far, far, far, far more uncertain. True. Look how bad we hosed up dogs lol

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Beef Turret posted:

Yeah let's compare selective breeding with direct intervention into the genome as if one necessarily leads to the other. What's a science cheerleading thread without teleologues

~*~*genes*~*~

~*~*chemicals*~*~

its all toxins to me

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i heard they can create a black hole at cern..........

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

i heard they can create a black hole at cern..........

i can make a black man cum out of a hole

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The fact that the existence of GMOs hinges on the increased use of roundup, a "probably" carcinogenic, definitely estrogen-mimicking substance that can't be washed off and accumulates in the biosphere is okay, because a shitload of people who shouldn't be alive are burdening the planet with their presence now.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

this man is credited with saving a billion lives. anti-GMO people are credited with being selfish clefts that believe the things they read on blogs

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The backlash against genetically modified food is some primo retard poo poo, right up there with anti-vaccination.

Beef Turret posted:

Literally the only noteworthy difference is that one is faster and more precise. Also lmao "science cheerleading" as if science is something to be feared and restrained. Go away you loving luddite.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Beef Turret posted:

The fact that the existence of GMOs hinges on the increased use of roundup, a "probably" carcinogenic, definitely estrogen-mimicking substance that can't be washed off and accumulates in the biosphere is okay, because a shitload of people who shouldn't be alive are burdening the planet with their presence now.

this is what liberals actually believe

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Beef Turret posted:

case in point

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Walrus Pete posted:

The backlash against genetically modified food is some primo retard poo poo, right up there with anti-vaccination.

lol if you think nature has inherent value anywhere near that of human life

Literally the only noteworthy difference is that one is faster and more precise. Also lmao "science cheerleading" as if science is something to be feared and restrained. Go away you loving luddite.

Well, the biosphere doesn't really need humans, but we need it. So I'd rather the jews didn't take a huge poo poo all over it

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

a black hole at cern..........

I read that as "they can create black hole corn..." and the thread got interesting for half a second.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Remember when the "luddites" who said DDT was bad turned out to be exactly right about everything? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Beef Turret posted:

Well, the biosphere doesn't really need humans, but we need it. So I'd rather the jews didn't take a huge poo poo all over it

Well between chemtrails and the alien hybrid breeding programss GMO is an insignificant hill to take a stand on, Mr. Noory.

• Locked thread