Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Watching this, I immediately noticed something--what is Melendez's height vs his reach? He's not tall for a LW but his arms look bizarrely stretchy, like he could scratch his kneecaps without stooping.

edit:
also finishing the video, Rogan's commentary is embarrassing. There's a bunch of exchanges where Diego whiffs several wild hooks, Gilbert slips them and rattles off a sharp combination that bounces Diego's head around, and Joe responds by praising Diego's toughness.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
AKA guys seem pretty scary on the rare occasions they manage to come in healthy

E: wild action, dick punches, submission attempts, starting it off right

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 14, 2015

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
This fight is cool as poo poo, woe to anybody who thought they should skip it

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Those leg kicks that keep making Collard stumble are so nice

Benitez has some neat strikes. that crazy elbow when Collard had his back, the heavy southpaw kicks, the left straight to the body is money. Collard probably sucks so it doesn't say a ton about Benitez as a fighter but he is super fun

E: collard looks like he's dying from all that body damage plus the altitude

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
heavyweight level gas out by collard now

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I think they're both really tired.

Yeah benitez is exhausted from kicking the poo poo out of collard and collard is exhausting from getting his rear end kicked pillar to post

e: awfulapp messing up my posts, which are poo poo to start with anyway

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 14, 2015

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Don't forget that Pendred's last fight before this one was a total mess where he decisively lost every round but at the same time did exactly the most minimal, dogshit performance to convince a judge that he actually won each round, leading to a decision victory that baffled everyone who actually watched it

e: like I remember posting in the GDT that his performance was like a scientific experiment in how to do as badly as possible while still "winning" the round on the scorecards

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Before I purge that horrible Pendred fight from my memory, I just want to give the Mexico City crowd credit for knowing when to turn on the hometown fighter and boo him for being a piece of poo poo

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Joe taking a brief pass at explaining the concept of parallax to the viewers

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Case is going to win this fight on a scratched cornea

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
LOL Joe fumbled and said Mark Hunt as "Mike Hunt"

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
hey guy thanks for cheating so we could watch you suck for three rounds and lose a sloppy decision instead of maybe by a cool finish in a reasonable amount of time

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

willie_dee posted:

I just tuned in, did I miss much on the prelims? There's a lot of booing at the moment and 2 gassed out small people

First fight of the undercard was outstanding, second and third (this one) have been completely awful

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
dropped a 30-27 decision to a one-eyed man, I'm sure this kid has a bright future in the UFC

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Also out of interest how sore are foot stamps in the clinch? They always make me wince a bit, but the sound could be misleading.

They don't feel good and in theory you could gently caress up a guy's foot and slow his movement, but in practice they're mainly a way to look active and hopefully stop the ref from breaking up the clinch.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Should I be impressed by Camus or disappointed by Cejudo?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Incoming glove rant.

I think it happened from Cejudo throwing the punch with his thumb sticking out and slipping into the eye, which can't be fixed by MMA gloves so Joe just moved on

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
whoa did Cejudo almost go for a soccer kick off that takedown?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

All I really remember about the Aztecs is our history teacher saying they were the scumbags of the pre-colombian era

Yeah, they thought the continued existence of the world depended on continual human sacrifice so they were constantly killing people by flaying them alive, cutting the living hearts from chests, or other metal poo poo such as might figure in a Josh Barnett walkout song. They preferred to use non-Aztecs for this and they had to capture enough people to torture-murder 50 people on daily average (by the lowest estimates), so everybody in Central America totally hated them. This has been your UFC 188 Mexican History lesson.

fatherdog posted:

One thing people don't realize is that if you stomp someone's foot the main defense is for them to take their weight off it. If you've got a guy against the cage, making them take their weight off one foot lets you attack the other with single leg pickups or the same one with footsweeps. That's the reason Serra is always yelling for foot stomps.

Thanks, that makes a ton of sense. And in fact you could see Camus did exactly that, it was just that Cejudo couldn't convert it into anything.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They had annual wars where they forced other tribes to send troops to be killed and captured by the Aztec army to fuel their sacrifices and slave trade.

Yep, I was keeping it brief to avoid history sperging all over the active GDT.

Big John was pretty content to let them work it out on the ground there, even without much effective activity. If Tecia can get more of those takedowns she could just ride out a decision.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

This is, unsurprisingly, bad

It's like I'm watching Angela Hill practice her defensive guard with a sparring partner

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
It's going to be weird when they stand up for the decision and they're both fresh and not remotely damaged, because nothing at all happened during the fight

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
commentary team is so done with this fight that they're just talking about all the other fights they'd rather be watching

to be fair to WMMA, this is still better than Pendred-Rufio earlier in the card

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Was this fight so bad they didn't even bother sending Rogan in there for a post fight interview?

Officially I think the excuse would be time constraints, since if they have too many decisions they have to hustle to fit in the walkouts for the next fight

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Does that matter on PPVs though? There's still plenty of dead time and useless promos.

You're right, but apparently they needed to make time to run a mellow Jedzryczyk vs Penne commercial which I would rather watch than Tecia talking about how she laid motionless on top of Hill

edit: Wait who are these guys? I'm watching the main card right now, wtf?

This guy is 4-1 and the other guy lost to Dennis Siver in the prelims of a fight pass card? gently caress off

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

Is this only on the main card because one of these dudes is Mexican?

I guess the Mexican guy won TUF Latin America, if anybody cares

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
omg the crowd reaction to Rodriguez walking out to ranchera

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

acejackson42 posted:

Watch this no-name thing make Arlovski Brown look like that last fight.

Rodriguez is definitely going for it!

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
that leglock attempt was really ill-advised, he should have rode it out

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
was that an uppercut into a bolo punch? nice!

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
Rosa is fading, that shot was pathetic

e: why does Rodriguez keep refusing the top position? He's had so many opportunities to get on top and just stood it back up, but he doesn't seem totally dominant on the feet, either

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
that reversal loving owned

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He is totally dominant on the feet, at least so far.

I feel like it got way worse while I was posting that, but you are correct Rosa is getting hosed up standing

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

That fight exceeded my expectations by a whole lot

everybody was talking about how it would probably suck and then it completely owned

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

I thought that would be UD 29-28 across the board. Don't know why a judge would give it to Rosa.

Rosa had a lot of time in dominant positions. I think it depends on how you score the triangle attempt in the first round. You could give Yair the round for threatening the finish like that (I do), or you could give it to Rosa for escaping and maintaining a dominant position for most of the round.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Marquardt is gonna get knocked out

I am torn between my desire to see my man Kelvin Gastelum succeed and the knowledge of how hard I would laugh if tekken combos happens

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
early, it looks like Marquardt is having trouble keeping up with Kelvin's pace and pressure

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
gastelum looking really smooth on the feet now

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
This looks bad enough that if Gastelum just let him up, maybe Marquardt wouldn't even be able to stand

e: I was loving right, he needed like ten seconds to figure out which way was up

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Hahahaha

Does this count as round 2 KO for Kelvin in goonweight?

Technically speaking I believe that is TKO (retirement) at 5:00 of round 2, yes

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
LOL they recut that confrontation to remove the part where Aldo laughed in his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

My brain says Aldo should win but then my heart calls my brain a human being and secretly believes Conor can do it.

Conor can win that in the sense that it is theoretically possible. He's good at hitting, and he hits hard. It's pretty unlikely, though...

• Locked thread