Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/12/us/disenchanted-by-civilian-life-veterans-volunteer-to-fight-isis.html?referrer&_r=1

Does anyone have any info or details about this? Ive read a few stories of marines going back but some of the contacts seem to have dried up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 27, 2016

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Peshmerga FRAME is a start point for Iraq. Phone posting but just Google it.

Lions of Rojava on Facebook is another start point. This for the YPG in Syria.

Both have lots of propaganda but could give an "in" from what I've seen.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Burning Beard posted:

Or they could be a fake page run by ISIS and we watch a goon get beheaded. Win/win, really.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Or they could be a fake page run by ISIS and we watch a goon get beheaded. Win/win, really.

Waiting for Caro2.0 to step up and die an even more horrible death.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Goon project: fight ISIS

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
who's with me?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Lets form the GOON PLATOON and go fight ISIS.

edit: we should troll GBS and start a kickstarter to send all the GIP veterans to iraq.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Reverand maynard posted:

Lets form the GOON PLATOON and go fight ISIS.

edit: we should troll GBS and start a kickstarter to send all the GIP veterans to iraq.

To hike to Iraq.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the kurds are cool and all but no thanks fighting alongside em

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I bet if you're in a middle eastern army and don't fire all your ammunition at nothing in the first two minutes of a fight they call you a oussy and laugh at you.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the kurds are cool and all but no thanks fighting alongside em

What if there was a way to cruise in there, party a bit, rail some Kurd broads, post some Facebook updates in some off-brand digi camo and a borrowed AK and then cruise out

Sounds like a pretty good vacation imo

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Welcome to Iraq, ancient land of many cultures. You would like to have casual sex you say? Of course, with men? Or boys? What's that, women you say? Uh, yeah, gross. This dudes gross. He wants to put his penis in women. I know, totally gay right? Yeah this is the same guy who "preserves ammo" and doesn't stand in the open yelling at the top of his lungs when people are shooting. This guy sucks.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
hello? yes speaking. hold on ill call you back, im in the middle of a war

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DrakeriderCa posted:

What if there was a way to cruise in there, party a bit, rail some Kurd broads, post some Facebook updates in some off-brand digi camo and a borrowed AK and then cruise out

Sounds like a pretty good vacation imo

Makes more sense than 2003.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OubHHtNM94s&t=52s

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Best Friends posted:

Welcome to Iraq, ancient land of many cultures. You would like to have casual sex you say? Of course, with men? Or boys? What's that, women you say? Uh, yeah, gross. This dudes gross. He wants to put his penis in women. I know, totally gay right? Yeah this is the same guy who "preserves ammo" and doesn't stand in the open yelling at the top of his lungs when people are shooting. This guy sucks.

Guys. I figured it out. The middle east simply has a head start on The Forever War.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/02/actor-michael-enright-isis_n_7493992.html

Brave actor goes to wipe ISIS off the face of the Earth.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/british-pirates-of-the-caribbean-actor-fighting-isis-is--mentally-unstable-134115360.html

Oh. OK. Even Caro was more competent in that he managed to hide his mental illness. (Scroll down to Matson's Facebook post)

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
A true hero

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Is it illegal or "bad" in the USG's view to join anti IS forces like those Kurdish groups?

Do these guys have a day in front of a federal judge awaiting them if they come home alive?

Or is it kosher to get your kill on against IS?

Because that'd be awesome on a series of levels if so.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just organize a volunteer army and talk about defending sovereignty against the monarchists. Worked for the 1800's after all.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burning Beard posted:

What from ive heard FRAME has been disbanded.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Best Friends posted:

I bet if you're in a middle eastern army and don't fire all your ammunition at nothing in the first two minutes of a fight they call you a oussy and laugh at you.

Yeah this is certainly true

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
rip in piss acc

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Technically the Neutrality Act forbids it, and I could see the State Dept. making an example out of someone to try to discourage that sort of thing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Technically the Neutrality Act forbids it, and I could see the State Dept. making an example out of someone to try to discourage that sort of thing.

Unless you committed war crimes I don't see you getting in trouble for fighting against ISIS. If you start fighting the Syrian government that might be a different issue, but I dont' see anyone wanting to prosecute a drat PATRIOT for fighting terrorists.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well why the gently caress would you want to go fight isis if you can't commit war crimes against them?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

Well why the gently caress would you want to go fight isis if you can't commit war crimes against them?

To get sweet medals and up your Kill/death ratio

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

MurderBot posted:

To get sweet medals and up your Kill/death ratio
Can't divide by zero, brah.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Can't divide by zero, brah.

Maybe in your reality you can't. ;)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Reverand maynard posted:

Unless you committed war crimes I don't see you getting in trouble for fighting against ISIS. If you start fighting the Syrian government that might be a different issue, but I dont' see anyone wanting to prosecute a drat PATRIOT for fighting terrorists.

Yeah but the US government has a vested interest in not letting Americans go fight and (potentially) get abducted, which is why I could see the State Dept. coming down hard on people to dissuade it. People have done it before though, did they get in any trouble when they came home?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
As a side note to that...

my stepdad once applied to be a mercenary and the telegram (yes telegram this was a long time ago and in the UK) was intercepted by the government and never made it to them. the group he applied to went to some country in africa, got captured, and all murdered.

sometimes it's a good thing to leave the natives to fighting the natives.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah but the US government has a vested interest in not letting Americans go fight and (potentially) get abducted, which is why I could see the State Dept. coming down hard on people to dissuade it. People have done it before though, did they get in any trouble when they came home?

I don't think so. As stated earlier in the thread there's been backchannel pressure on the Kurds from DOS/Mil advisors for them not to let any Americans anywhere near the frontlines (for the reasons you state), but I don't think anyone has gotten in any formal trouble once they've come back. I'm sure they get some additional screening given the stamps on their passport just to make sure they were fighting for the good guys but I don't think it's been anything more than that.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ded posted:

As a side note to that...

my stepdad once applied to be a mercenary and the telegram (yes telegram this was a long time ago and in the UK) was intercepted by the government and never made it to them. the group he applied to went to some country in africa, got captured, and all murdered.

sometimes it's a good thing to leave the natives to fighting the natives.

My friend had a similar story, his dad was going to be a merc in south america and either got hurt and couldn't go or decided to back out. Either way they all died in some lovely rain forest and he stayed at home and became a cop instead.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
wait, did caro actually end up dying or what

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

He's actually the leader of ISIS.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Zed's dead, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Died horribly in a Syrian prison

• Locked thread