Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

markus_cz posted:

I never played Nethack but it pains me to see that chest on the first floor unopened and the sink undrinked from. If you can even do that? Surely there must be commands for drinking from sinks and prying open chests? Don't leave anything unexplored!

op you should kick both of these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Yeah! Kick everything! Kick your enemies! Kick the doors! Kick your food around! Kicks for everyone!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Okay guys, giving advice of any kind (beyond "you can use these commands to interact with things", because forcing players to resort to the documentation is dull) is probably against the spirit of this LP.

Aug 24, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Okay guys, giving advice of any kind (beyond "you can use these commands to interact with things", because forcing players to resort to the documentation is dull) is probably against the spirit of this LP.

kick this poster

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I vote for the fat staircase, the symbol looks different so it's probably a special location that will gently caress you up in some entertaining way.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pierzak posted:

I vote for the fat staircase, the symbol looks different so it's probably a special location that will gently caress you up in some entertaining way.

I agree with this logic.

Aug 24, 2011

Pierzak posted:

i also vote for this, i think it's the staircase leading to i have no loving idea

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dreggon posted:

i also vote for this, i think it's the staircase leading to i have no loving idea

You're right.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Well I haven't played the game so calling my calls for "Drink from the sink!" an advice would be a stretch. I do agree that people who have played the game and know the cause and effect of things should probably censor themselves. But people who are as green as Espilae? I don't think that letting them ask questions and post ill advised "suggestions" can hurt anything, can it? It doesn't feel to be against the spirit of playing blind. Because if even clueless people can't say things then... well, there won't be much thread activity, will it?

But Espilae should probably weigh in on this.

===

I vote for the thin staircase!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

markus_cz posted:

Well I haven't played the game so calling my calls for "Drink from the sink!" an advice would be a stretch.

The Dev Team Thinks of Everything, so put the dog in the sink to get it clean, then take the fat stairs because your dog is fat and blocks corridors.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think it makes sense to let fellow blind players give suggestions, and to let vets to give advice on controls (but only controls). In that spirit, you can drink from sinks by pressing 'q' while standing on top of them. You can open an unlocked chest by standing on top of it and typing #loot, or by picking it up and using 'a'pply. I don't think you can pick your dog up, though, which means you can't #dip it into the sink.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Doesn't something happen if you do.. something... I forgot.. repeatedly? I can't remember.It's been years since I've played Nethack.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 16, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That is a spoiler!
Please remove that before he sees it. It's just one mechanic out of thousands, but still.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Any chance for a future stab at Dwarf Fortress? I've always wanted to see someone LP it without making it the usual narrative roleplay switching from person to person. Has anyone ever done a more informative attempt at it?

Also I'm voting husky stairs.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm loving this, but can you please size the images down a bit? They're huge which makes reading a bitch.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

im_sorry posted:

Get ye hence to the megathread, mortal!

Seriously, ask your questions there come on.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

All right, voting closed - skinny stairs wins! I shall be going down them shortly, and if I die it's your fault and not due to my stupidity or overwhelming ineptitude whatsoever.

I've also resized the images, hopefully they're easier to read now, though my main worry originally was making them too small to figure out what the gently caress is going on in them.

Regarding hints - advice is fine so long as it's not too complex and spoilery, and basic controls is probably not a spoiler so thank you all for helping me out in that regard. If you want to talk spoilers and laugh about how I could have nearly died from something I didn't know about, do it in the Roguelike LP megathread after I post the link there.

Okay, now to the dying...

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Level 3 - I blame Linus Torvalds

Oh god, I don't know what that means but I don't like the sound of it. Is my dog going to turn into a werewolf and bite my balls off in the very first loving turn of this update or something?

Whatever. That locked door is bothering me so let's see if I can open it or find another way to it and I think there's a bit of hallway I haven't explored.

FOX I WILL ARROW YOU IN THE BRAIN

Archery level: pro. I know it was point blank shut up

To celebrate, I think I'ma eat this bitch.

I wonder what wine goes with fox? Something tells me it comes out of a box.

Here's that other side of the door, which made this trip very pointless. Okay, on down the skinny staircase.

Okay, kill this white gecko, THEN staircase.

Right, let me get my arrow then we can gently caress off.

Ooh, a ring. Apparently I pick it up automatically.

Let's put it on, wonder if it's any good or not.

Is that it? Does it do anything?

Oh, sweet. More constitution is always handy, especially if it modifies hit points cos I have the feeling I'm gonna be losing a gently caress load of them very shortly.

Down the stairs we go.

Level three, and oh, a box. Let's open this son of a bitch-

WHAT WHY AM I OVER HERE

A teleport trap or something? Well, at least it didn't teleport me anywhere dangerous like, say, halfway in a wall or surrounded by death creatures of death.

Instead, I have found a room full of cash.

It occurs to me that Sirius has not followed me down the goddamn stairs yet again so I shall have to find him.

Luckily it's just a short walk over and there's no crap in the way, yet.

Wait, is that him over there? The gently caress is he doing all the way over there?

There you are boy, I've finally found yo-

THIS IS NOT MY DOG WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH MY DOG

Jesus gently caress I should learn to pay better attention, that and kill the artist of this tileset for not drawing GIANT loving RATS and dogs more different

You don't fool me this time, you rodent piece of poo poo.

I hope that's a good thing, aren't naiads meant to be poorly-clothed hot blue river mermaid type things? Although in this game they probably give you fantasy VD - Venus is my goddess after all.

But gently caress that noise, I need my dog. While I'm here, what the gently caress is this thing?

Can I turn it off? Let me consult the ever-so-helpful ingame documentation for an answer to this question.

Hmm, there is an untrap command. Let's use it.

Uh, nothing happened.

Bugger it, let's just kill this rat.

There we go, nice shot lined up and everything. FIRE!

Yay, now for dog time.

C'mere, Sirius, stop licking your gonads and help me kill poo poo.

Okay, let's go.

Whatever you do, don't touch that box, Sirius, it's bad. Now let's go off into this passage here, and-

YOU loving TOUCHED THE BOX NOW DIDN'T YOU

Oh good, you found your way back. I am tired of looking for you, dog.

A door into loving nothing.

And another. Well this was educational.

Back we go. Hey, let's try and find that naiad, get her phone number, go hang out, wash her car, carry a printer over to her house, get friendzoned and cry about it in E/N. That's how it's supposed to work, isn't it?

Or she might be swimming in a sink, which is gross and in which case gently caress her and her cool boyfriend.

Well, whatever, let's find something more interesting.

More interesting than a couple of loving rats, I mean.

Let's see if I can snipe them both from a distance.

This might take some maneuvering.

Diagonal arrow go! I think I have the hang of these keys.

Die, you fucker!

Goddamnit.

Eurgh, a spider, let's massacre it.

You just stay there behind me Sirius, I got this.

Diagonal arrow go!

WHAT NO NOT IN THAT loving DIRECTION YOU MOTHERFUCKING VI KEY PIECE OF poo poo NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Goddamn it.. I know I was mean to you, dog, and thought about breaking your tiny body into tiny pieces every time I had to step over you, but.. *sniff* loving ancient key system, I never loving liked those keys. THIS IS ALL LINUS TORVALDS' FAULT

A hollow victory.

gently caress off you rat, I don't have time for this. You need to die.

DIE SO MY DOG CAN LIVE AGAIN YOU RAT oval office

About time too. Eurgh, what is that eye thing? Let's just ignore that for now and see what's in here.

The fourth level staircase, by the looks of things. *sniff* Poor Sirius, I won't be able to herd him into any more staircases... actually this is a good thing

Now let's cream this eye thing and think of better days.

Disgusting AND generically named. It must die.

Let's move on, I hate this corridor now.

gently caress you too, gecko.

What's that?

Oh, a fountain. I don't see any naiads though, but this is a good thing probably.

Apparently I can drink from it, but I have to look up how. Ah, here's drink.

Well that was a waste of time. Pity there's no '#piss' command or I'd show this thing what for.

More exploration is required.

Let's murder this green thing.

Shot lined up, and...

Bam. Oh poo poo, a gnome? I hope it was a bad gnome.

I wonder what gnome tastes like?

loving heavy anyway.

Get in my belly, that way I don't have to carry you. I'm sure that makes perfect scientific sense somehow.

Apparently gnome is an acquired taste.

gently caress this plant.

Anything else in this room?

Another plant, kill it

You should always eat your greens.

And kill your goblins.

Stop moving, dammit.

Now I have to pick up all these goddamn arrows.

Don't do this to me today door, I am not in the mood for your poo poo

OPEN THIS DOOR

Wooden piece of poo poo. What's that over there?

More food is good, if I ever run out of dungeon weed and hapless gnomes.

I think that's everything in this shithole..

Let's just double-check.

This looks like a friendly thing.

It's a hobbit! What can be more friendly than a hobbit? Let's say hello.

What's the talk button again? Is there a talk button?

AH poo poo NO NOT THAT loving BUTTON I wanted to talk to the hobbit, not bash her over the head with my loving bow!

Ow, she loving hurt me too. Whatever, she's dead now and I get her stuff.

I should bloody well hope so, that dagger shot was a bitch.

Well, at least I get the knife. I'm not eating her, it was an accident. Maybe later.

My favourite thing, a room full of cash and no monsters.

That's this level done I think.

Oh look, my old friend the newt.

Goodbye and gently caress off. Let's just check if this corridor over here is still useless.

Yep.

Oh god is this one of those gas spore loving things

No, just a red mold whatever that is.

It does not sound appetizing, I think I shall skip it.

Okay. Down to the next level we go. Poor Sirius, though...

There are no words to describe my sadness right now, so I won't say any. Come over here Allan, yeah just park the keyboard over there. Hush now. Let my friend here do all the talking - with synth.. and love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOymHEdiPts

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Well, that takes care of that problem...

The printer carrying mechanic is really complex. I'm glad they thought of that.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

You don't need to pick up a corpse to eat it, just press e while standing on it then , (comma) to choose it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

If you want to talk to a monster, use the #chat command rather than moving into it. Looking forward to seeing what happens next! :)

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Are you going to go back up a level and try the other staircase? You only lose if you exit the dungeon entirely, you can go back up safely.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Another dogmatic vi-key conversion!

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Go! Go! Go! You're doing great!

:stare:

Aug 24, 2011

i use numpad to move

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

pumpinglemma posted:

If you want to talk to a monster, use the #chat command rather than moving into it. Looking forward to seeing what happens next! :)

dont ruin the thread

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

dont ruin the thread
The guy literally just said that help with controls was fine.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Dreggon posted:

i use numpad to move

He doesn't have one, though. You need high end hardware to play these games well.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
Holy hell, I'm only now getting around to reading this, on update two, and my god this is ART :allears:

I'm loving your narrative style, please never stop.

edit: caught up and it only gets better!
Literally my ONLY complaint is: you need to kick more :black101:

TwistedSynapse fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 16, 2015

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Air is lava! posted:

He doesn't have one, though. You need high end hardware to play these games well.

I personally could not imagine trying to play any roguelike without one.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I used to play Nethack with the numpad control setting, but without a number pad.

That's right, I learned to navigate using the number row. I was drat quick about it, too.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Uh the original Rogue (populizer of the 'roguelike keyset' in these kind of games) was created and published around 1980. Linus Torvalds would have been about 11 years at the time.VI was originally published in 76, when Linus was 7. Bill Joy is probably the guy you want to direct your ire to.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
By the by, there's an option to toggle automatically picking up items ("autopickup") in the options menu. It's usually "Shift+O" for me; not sure if that's changed in NetHack 4.

Just noting the existence of that option, as you already know how to pick up things, and you never know when you need to move quickly. Encumbrance and quick escapes don't mix! ;)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

NETHACK 4: Run 2, Level 4 - Leprecunt

Fourth floor down, and someone has left a nugget of crap on the floor, it looks like.

Oh, sweet, score.

Let's just pick these babies up, we'll find out what they do later. I assume they're unidentified or something.

Hello, who's this?

Wow, he even has a name. Some kind of NPC questgiver?:

And what the gently caress is that next to him?

A mimic? Like a fake chest or something? Oh hey look, a shop! Dunno why this weirdo is set up in the basement of a dungeon but who cares.

Now let's consult the help file so we don't accidentally kill the son of a bitch. Looks like we just pick up what we want, then pay for it.

Weird unidentified scroll and a spellbook. I'm not a mage though so I won't be buying any, I dunno if it'll be of any use to me.

Ooh, identify, I will be getting one of those. And a scroll of YUM YUM? What, to make the disgusting chunks of monster I have to cram down my gullet to stave off hunger in this shithole taste better or something?

Well that was careless, you could have at least written something, like 'WE DONT KNOW WHAT THIS DOES EITHER GOOD LUCK rear end in a top hat"

More garbage, though I'll keep that light scroll in mind in case darkness becomes an issue, which is apparently something that will happen, gently caress.

Cool, another identify scroll.

More light scrolls, I could probably come back for them if I need them.

Just seeing if I can find any more identify scrolls.

Yes, I think that is well within my budget for this quarter. Wrap it up for me, will you?

*clink*

Wait, second-hand!?

And I'll take this one too.

Good, now I can figure out what kind of poo poo I have.

Well, I suppose I could have seen that coming, this is a rough neighbourhood to be a shopkeeper in.

Maybe I can sell some of my junk here?

Apparently not.

Enough shopping, let's spelunk.

Stairs already? That's some good luck, though I don't like the look of that green thing.

That hits the spot.

Now let's take a peek through here...

Huh, this level is pretty linear, which is actually a good thing for once.

This is less of a good thing, a gecko and something else.

A leprechaun? Maybe if he's rich enough we could save up for one of those scrolls for shits and giggles.

*knock knock* Hello, delivery for a Mr. Chaun?

FIRE!

You're not meant to dodge out of the way, this isn't how this works.

Oh dear. He's packing uranium.

Uranium that can apparently summon monsters. loving hell.

Goddamn it, more of them!?

Hopefully I can fire an arrow that will punch through this loving ant and perforate your lucky charm monster-summoning arsehole.

Screw you, ant.

I SAID SCREW YOU

KEEP FIRING

Well, at least that's something. I still have a room full of loving monsters to kill though.

And again!

Now it's your turn, you leprecunt.

I WIN

Mostly all the goddamn arrows I shot though.

Eurgh.

Sweet, I even got his wand.

I wonder if I can summon monsters with this thing now?

Well gently caress that idea then.

*sniff* He was a pain in the arse, but poor Sirius didn't even get a grave.

Screw you, lizard, I'm in the middle of honouring the dead here.

The return of door lockage.

I'll just walk around then.

Another goddamn ant, another goddamn gecko, and something else that needs death.

PUT DOWN MY ARROW GNOME LORD, PLUS TWO DOESN'T COME CHEAP YOU KNOW

Come back here!

Be sporting and give me a clear goddamn shot

Ow, gently caress.

There we go, and you better have some good poo poo.

Just die, gecko.

Darts and candles? Interesting but not exactly anything to write home about.

But I'll take what I can get in this loving place.

Er, hello there.

Yep, you're a big'un.

Getting a little sick of being chewed on by these arseholes.

And now for you, whatever you are.

A monkey? Jesus you're quick.

WHAT you didn't even steal anything good!

That's for a lack of ambition, you simian turd.

Uh, eating him may not have been a good idea.

Was I confused to begin with?

Iguana?

Kobold shaman? Both dead now, but that was a little surprising.

Let's continue.

What, the rotten monkey corpse wasn't good enough? Lucky I have this food still.

There we go. Now to give this mold the arse.

They don't appear to move too well..

Doesn't matter anyway.

More loving monkeys?

Oh, these are rothes. The gently caress are rothes?

Well they're dead now anyway.

Oh look, a vegetable.

HOW DID I MISS A STATIC TARGET

Thank god for that.

Jesus not another one of these pieces of poo poo, I can't take much more of this

At least he hasn't summoned a horde of monsters at me and is staying in a straight line.

Keep coming and you get more arrows.

How many goddamn hit points do you have?

Not enough.

Ooh, a key.

FINALLY something to get around those locked doors.

This has been a good level so far.

Not for long!

Oh yeah. Now to reap my reward.

A corridor.

A pointless loving corridor.

Why did they even bother to lock it?

This one's just as useless.

I wonder who that could be.

Now I can kill this monkey who thought he was safe behind a locked door.

First I need to get this crap I forgot over here though.

I'll take that and that.

AH you startled me, blue thing.

Arrow to the face!

Now to get this monkey.

Wait, when did I pick up this swirly potion? Maybe I better find out what it does before I drink it, and I can thanks to good ole Kilgarvan.

Eurgh. I wonder if I can pawn this off on some poor schmuck.

But first, the matter at hand.

Hello monkey, prepare to-

THAT IS MY FAVOURITE RING YOU ARSEHOLE

Yeah, good luck running away into a dead end, prick.

Trailblazer time!

That's better.

Now maybe I can sell some of this crap to Kilgarvan.

Another newt - maybe I should have smashed that statue - and a floaty eyeball thing.

And a vegetable that suddenly decides to grow here without my permission.

Teach you for blocking my passage, plant.

When will these things learn?

These things are really ugly and they need to die.

Good riddance.

Another potion!

Door into nothing, how delightful.

Pleasure to be back, Kilgarvan. Have some useless crap.

Uh, I don't mean to alarm you, friend, but one of your books is leaking.

Whatever, see if you like some of this crap.

This loving thing to start with.

Well, I don't blame you, it doesn't exactly sound appetizing.

But this is solid uranium! You can't beat quality like that.

Well gently caress you too, I hope someone takes all your poo poo.

Now let's continue on and hopefully find some other poor idiot to sell poo poo to.

NEXT TIME: Oops.

Oh yeah, and gently caress Bill Joy too then. Linus still has a lot of poo poo to answer for so he ain't getting off the hook, but Bill can cop it too I guess. Bastards.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Controls tip: 's' stands for search, which like kick needs to be used multiple times but can come in handy if you run into more of those weird corridors that go nowhere.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Controls tip: Hitting '?' shows you all of the controls, but you already know that, so you already know all you need to know.

:allears: It's wonderful watching your run, by the way.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

bathroomrage posted:

Controls tip: Hitting '?' shows you all of the controls, but you already know that, so you already know all you need to know.

Only posted about searching because things like the first run and mystery corridors are funny once then get stale and take time away from the more insane poo poo we could be seeing reactions to instead. That said I definitely also really like this run so far!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

the message "You feel more confident in your weapon skills" means you can use #enhance command on your skills.

Looking forward to you finding more troubles, thanks for posting these :)

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Familiar with some roguelikes, not particularly with nethack though. Continually surprised you're alive, judging from reputation of the game, though I suspect ranged characters are probably powerful early on especially (I don't actually know!)

This is a magical journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
GO TEAM A-

Oh.

Anyway, congrats on your continued survival (and good call on identifying the potion before chugging it down)!

• Locked thread