Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Troutful posted:

I don't know what kind of research you do, but some fields are extremely insular and competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised if those women were keeping a lid on any negative comments for the sake of their careers (their scientific careers, not twitter fame or whatever). It's totally possible that he was a great mentor to his female students but I'd take any quotes coming out of a high-stakes environment with a grain of salt.

I've had enough of these journalists that strong-arm these poor scientists into giving commentary against their will, when will it end!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kill all women

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
One time I grabbed a girls butt and told her she was worthless and now I'm getting fired will these hate group SJWs stop at nothing?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Troutful posted:

I manage a genetics lab and I think this dude's a piece of poo poo lol

it is cool that you can form a character judgement out of a soundbite that's been wrung through the lowest dregs of social media

tell me, what other opinions have you wiki'd for yourself lately

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

quoting myself because that ain't what happened

Did you read the article? He lost more than just an honorary position. He was also sacked from his active position with the ERC. While he was certainly involved with the less rigorous work of a dude at the tail end of his career, he was definitely more active than just being a nobel figurehead. That all this severing happened so quickly, being asked to leave the university without being able to give an account of himself is insane and reeks of a knee jerk appeasement to mob outrage.

Check this quote from Athene Donald. “During the time I worked with him he was always immensely supportive of the ERC’s work around gender equality. His off-the-cuff remarks in Korea are clearly inappropriate and indefensible, but … he has worked tirelessly in support of young scientists of both genders.”

Sounds like he was a true rear end in a top hat, eh? Whether you can take comments like these at face value or not doesn't matter - there was no attempt at looking into the heart of the matter because this was pure snap judgement.

That this dude was old and probably on his way to checking out of academia anyway is the only thing taking the edge off.

hard counter fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 17, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
guess he just didnt go to jail enough lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
my name is Tim hunt, I discovered the most important regulator of the cell cycle that is conserved throughout living things everywhere, but most people know me as the Twitter chauvinist celebrity

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troutful posted:

I don't know what kind of research you do, but some fields are extremely insular and competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised if those women were keeping a lid on any negative comments for the sake of their careers (their scientific careers, not twitter fame or whatever). It's totally possible that he was a great mentor to his female students but I'd take any quotes coming out of a high-stakes environment with a grain of salt.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

hard counter posted:

it is cool that you can form a character judgement out of a soundbite that's been wrung through the lowest dregs of social media

I can judge people by their actions, sure.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
if these women are lying maybe they're part of the problem.. anyone think of this yet?

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
why would a woman lie victims never lie

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Troutful posted:

I don't know what kind of reasearch you do, but when I see a lack of evidence or, as in this case, evidence of the opposite thing that I want to think, I completely disregard it and then gargle a liter of cum while stroking my butthole with a silicone wolf dick.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This just goes to show that the internet matters and is really important and if you spend enough time on it you too can make a difference in the world.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

you are the worst of gbs

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

katlington posted:

you are the worst of gbs

I love it how logic and rationality triggers losers :allears:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

I love it how logic and rationality triggers losers :allears:

is that what you thinks happening here ? lmao precious honey child

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
1-0 him

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I think women should be allowed in science but only if they keep their hair covered at all times

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Women should be allowed to exist as long as they don't congregate into groups larger than 3.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

hard counter posted:

tell me, what other opinions have you wiki'd for yourself lately

Did you read the article? He lost more than just an honorary position. He was also sacked from his active position with the ERC. While he was certainly involved with the less rigorous work of a dude at the tail end of his career, he was definitely more active than just being a nobel figurehead. That all this severing happened so quickly, being asked to leave the university without being able to give an account of himself is insane and reeks of a knee jerk appeasement to mob outrage.

Check this quote from Athene Donald. “During the time I worked with him he was always immensely supportive of the ERC’s work around gender equality. His off-the-cuff remarks in Korea are clearly inappropriate and indefensible, but … he has worked tirelessly in support of young scientists of both genders.”

Sounds like he was a true rear end in a top hat, eh? Whether you can take comments like these at face value or not doesn't matter - there was no attempt at looking into the heart of the matter because this was pure snap judgement.

That this dude was old and probably on his way to checking out of academia anyway is the only thing taking the edge off.

Why was his opinion even indefensible? He wouldn't hold these opinions because he just makes them up right? Haven't studies already shown that having segregated basic education is already more productive than mixed? Wouldn't there be even the slightest chance that while people need to grow up to cope with mixed environments like adults, that there can be tension in the work place(labs) like in the army for instance? I don't think labs should be segregated like basic ED but I don't think a nobel scientist would just blab about poo poo he hadn't observed first. It might constitute as anecdotal evidence on his part, but for gods sake can't somebody just persuade him he's wrong instead of getting him loving fired through lynch mob justice?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Samuel posted:

Why was his opinion even indefensible? He wouldn't hold these opinions because he just makes them up right? Haven't studies already shown that having segregated basic education is already more productive than mixed? Wouldn't there be even the slightest chance that while people need to grow up to cope with mixed environments like adults, that there can be tension in the work place(labs) like in the army for instance? I don't think labs should be segregated like basic ED but I don't think a nobel scientist would just blab about poo poo he hadn't observed first. It might constitute as anecdotal evidence on his part, but for gods sake can't somebody just persuade him he's wrong instead of getting him loving fired through lynch mob justice?

Yeah, but then who would want a lady lab? Their cycles would sync up and then their science would get all erratic for like a week each month, what a hassle!
Dr. Olds probably hasn't fully considered the ramifications of implementing this joke he said and we should hold off on going world wide with the mandatory gender segregation plan until we figure it out.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
it's not that girls can't do science, idiots, it's girl don't want to do science, they would rather be shopping. Why is that even an issue.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

has twitter/tumblr ever experienced old people before? they all say things like that

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Ork of Fiction posted:

Yeah, but then who would want a lady lab?

All lady lab's are progressive you patriarchal shitlord, it's all men labs that need to be burned down and diversified.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This is a true victory for women. Better to have lovely, poorly done science than someone saying something that makes you feel bad because you perceive everything as a personal slight

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

But for real though firing Tim Hunt over a really loving stupid comment that everyone would forget about in 2 weeks is dumb as poo poo.

quote:

If they can do this to someone as eminent as Hunt, for no real cause other than temporary embarrassment of an institution that manifestly gives women a fair deal, what else will they do if someone raises real issues – such as the gross disparity in remuneration between academic and senior admin staff, or the appalling conditions of employment of temporary staff and junior academics? Men and women alike!

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 17, 2015

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I'd ask a woman's opinion on the matter but I don't know any

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Think about it, women are basically Israel in this situation.

They used to be oppressed, but now they're not, any criticism and it's all "that's sexist" and then they use their non-privilege to get you fired.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Old man tied up to a chair: "What do you want, you monster! Why am I here?!"

Twitter-powered robot: "Your joke. It was wrong. It isn't true. You must say it."

Old man tied up to a chair: "My joke? You mean... but.. it is true! It's funny because it's true!"

Twitter-powered robot: "No it isn't. It isn't funny. It isn't true. You must say this."

Old man tied up to a chair: "What? No no.. I don't think I'm explaining it right.."

Twitter-powered robot: "There is no explaining it. It is wrong. We do not forgive. We do not forget."

Old man tied up to a chair: "Well you see, men and women have different well.."

Twitter-powered robot: "No. Wrong. Not all women. Some women have penises and.."

Old man tied up to a chair: "Oh.. Dear lord. It's gone insane. HELP!! HELP ME!!! I've dedicated my life to the betterment of all humanity! SOMEONE HELP ME!!"

Meanwhile, off screen, the governments of Europe prepare themselves for the great Mohammedan purge...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But for real though firing Tim Hunt over a really loving stupid comment that everyone would forget about in 2 weeks is dumb as poo poo.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
another old white scientist has zero people skills and is clueless to the point of damaging say it ain't so

quote:

My Facebook feed is awash with people standing up for Tim Hunt: “The witch hunt against Tim Hunt is unbearable and disgraceful”, “This is how stupidity turns into big damage. Bad bad bad”, “Regarding the Tim Hunt hysteria”, and so on. Each of these posts has prompted a debate between people who think a social media mob has unfairly brought a good man down, and people like me who think that the response has been both measured and appropriate.

I happened to met Tim Hunt earlier this year at a meeting of young Indian investigators held in Kashmir. We both were invited as external “advisors” brought in to provide wisdom to scientists beginning their independent careers. While his “How to win a Nobel Prize” keynote had a bit more than the usual amount of narcissism, he was in every other way the warm, generous and affable person that his defenders of the last week have said he is. I will confess I kind of liked the guy.

But it is not my personal brush with Hunt that has had me thinking about this meeting the past few days. Rather it is a session towards the end of the meeting held to allow women to discuss the challenges they have faced building their scientific careers in India. During this session (in which I was seated next to Hunt) several brave young women stood up in front of a room of senior Indian and international scientists and recounted the specific ways in which their careers have been held back because of their gender.

The stories they told were horrible, and it was clear from the reaction of women in the room that these were not isolated incidents. If any of the scientists in positions of power in the room (including Hunt) were not already aware of the harassment many women in science face, and the myriad obstacles that can prevent them from achieving a high level of success, there is no way that could have emerged not understanding.

When I am thinking about what happened here, I am not thinking about how Twitter hordes brought down a good man because he had a bad day. I am instead thinking about what it says to the women in that room in Kashmir that this leading man of science – who it was clear everybody at the meeting revered – had listened to their stories and absorbed nothing. It is unconscionable that, barely a month after listening to a women moved to tears as she recounted a sexual assault from a senior colleague and how hard it was for her to regain her career, Hunt would choose to mock women in science as teary love interests.

Hunt’s words, and even more so his response to being called out for them, suggest that he does not understand the damage his words caused. I will take him at his word that he did not mean to cause harm. But the fact that he did not realize that those words would cause harm is worse even than the words themselves. That a person as smart as Hunt could go his entire career without realizing that a Nobel Prizewinner deriding women – even in a joking way – is bad just serves to show how far we have to go.

So, you’ll have to forgive me for recoiling when people ask me to measure my words based on the effect they will have on Hunt. I understand all too well the effects that criticism can have on people. But silence also has its consequences. And we see around us the consequences of decades of silence and inaction on sexism in science. If the price of standing up to that history is that Tim Hunt has to weather a few bad weeks, well so be it.

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

Troutful posted:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

more like tim oval office

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

BigBoss posted:

Remember when they lost their poo poo about that guy's shirt when that Mars thing happened?

that man's shirt is why women are underrepresented in computer science

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol at getting mad about an old man saying something dumb

double lol at the university not ignoring the story for the whole 24 hours it will take for the twitter outrage machine to move on to the next great microagression

Troutful
May 31, 2011

The fun part about this whole thing is that cell biology is a huge field with better-than-average minority representation, as far as STEM goes. There's no shortage of brilliant cell biologists with enough sense not to make cutesy hee-haw jokes at major conferences at the expense of their coworkers

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

bonvivant posted:

another old white scientist has zero people skills and is clueless to the point of damaging say it ain't so

You make it sound like he's actively supporting sexual assault in the work place, while in the west there isn't a person not itching to persecute someone who does that (and for good reason). It's probably that Hunt understands you can't prevent these assaults, you can't prevent most crimes, you can't have a job interview for a lab and expect someone to answer "yes" to the: would you sexually assault a co-worker question and thank him for his honesty. You can only punish those who've committed, and to me it's all we can do. Because if billboards spread around saying: "don't commit crimes" worked there wouldn't be any then would there? What does loving Hunt up do? He wasn't even commenting on the India issue in his speech, frankly if you're so convinced woman are constantly being assaulted maybe it's better to put them in their own lab (in India) there's special train cars, pink taxi's might as well go for the labs as well while we're at it. (even though the gross majority of people don't sexually assault people)

What I can learn from this story is the fact that he might even understand that while woman are being sexually assaulted in other countries, all his lab woman have to put up with is getting chewed out. And even that's too much for the ones he works with in his opinion.

So truly I wonder if this guy is like the Gordon Ramsey of science who just got his career ended over speaking his mind. (which other posters already said: would be forgotten in a week)

Troutful posted:

The fun part about this whole thing is that cell biology is a huge field with better-than-average minority representation, as far as STEM goes. There's no shortage of brilliant cell biologists with enough sense not to make cutesy hee-haw jokes at major conferences at the expense of their coworkers
There's an undertone to this post I can't quite place, it's like you're saying good riddance we can get better minority representation now :downs:

Samuel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 17, 2015

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Poll

Who is more likely to cry when facing criticism?

[ ] Men
[ ] Women

Place your votes

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol at getting mad about an old man saying something dumb

double lol at the university not ignoring the story for the whole 24 hours it will take for the twitter outrage machine to move on to the next great microagression

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
We should work to make Logan's Run a reality.

The old should live in constant fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Fun fact about my job (biology lab manager) -- if I had put a dude's name on my CV without changing anything else, I could expect to be making an additional $4,000/year. Scientists would also have perceived me as more competent, a better hire, and more deserving of mentoring (this last part is a big goddamn deal).

I'm sure this has nothing to do with people buying into the harmless stereotype of female scientists as emotionally unstable and distracting in lab due to falling in love with me all the time hyuck hyuck

http://www.yale.edu/handelsmanlab/publications/pdf/Sciencefacultyssubtlegenderbiases2012.pdf

Samuel posted:

There's an undertone to this post I can't quite place, it's like you're saying good riddance we can get better minority representation now :downs:

Well done!

• Locked thread