Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The south is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Commie NedFlanders posted:

i <3 austin and this place has the best deep fried stuffed avacados :swoon:

Hah I used to live across the street from there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

We already have an Iowa thread

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:fap:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

If those also have cheese stuffed in them I'm gonna :gizz:

Usually manchego

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MLvBqCTSHc

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFEDhm3dWkY

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Plexiwatt posted:

Do people in the south make home made tots out of whole potatoes? In every place I've ever lived they came frozen in a bag. I bet a fresh one is good.

Usually just the bag. Otherwise you'd just make hashbrowns instead more than likely.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg60SOQjT-A

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Linux Pirate posted:

The south is terrible and so are 97% of the people from there.

Everyone I've ever known from the south was fat and would talk poo poo about everywhere else in the country and the world but if you even slightly suggested that the south wasn't that good of a place they would bitch and cry about "how it's not like that" and "that's not fair" like a goddamned child and would get all pissy afterwards. They could never take criticism. They were always loud, obnoxious, fat, stupid, and just plain unpleasant human beings. It's a trash land filled the worst garbage people.

Well bless your heart

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

theres a lot more condescension in it than "gently caress off" could ever convey

Honestly not really, or at least certainly not always. Many times its just a throw away phrase akin to "oh really" or "well isn't that something"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Frackie Robinson posted:

The south is so bad the north wasted 400 thousand lives to keep us from leaving.

:sherman:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's "a thing" at the Texas state fair that a few vendors do is to try to fry all sorts of insane poo poo, a novelty that everyone tries once.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'll take Diabetes or Syphilis for $100 Alex.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

thathonkey posted:

it's appalling to me that a great-wall-of-china-esque wall was never erected along the mason-dixon line at any point in our nation's history. would solve a lot of problems imho between the north and south. let trade/commerce trucks through but that's it.

segregation as a concept was a winner but just not along racial lines. it's time to try again. come america, let's build something !!

I'd be fine with keeping people from California and the midwest out tbh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

♫ Go together like a horse and carriage... ♫

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

After growing up in the south and currently living in New England I don't really see much of a difference outside a few specific cities. On the whole if you were driving through places like New Haven, CT or just about all of Maine or Vermont outside of winter you'd be hard pressed to guess where you were. If anything it's worse because there's a lot more white redneck equivalent people and almost no minorities so you just kinda go through lots of pretty forest areas filled with white trash.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ArmZ posted:

rural areas are bad everywhere. in the south the cities are bad too.

Not all of them, and after going to every major city in CT I don't see how you could make the claim that they are better than well, anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ArmZ posted:

yes all of them. yes i've been to connecitcut. i've also been to trenton, cleveland, baltimore, and pittsburgh. they are better than the comparable ex-manufacturing cities in the south. you can't compare something like buckhead to something like the bluff.

Yea I guess you are right, places like Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans etc are far far worse places than Cleveland, Trenton or Baltimore.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This is probably my all time favorite college football img.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I've always wondered about this dude's accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqOEr_yfak

Is that NOLA? That accent just kills me.

Nope not NOLA. Probably Gulfport or Biloxi, MS. Too much twang for south LA.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Living in Boston right now and people here sound more like New Orleans than anywhere else in the south that I've lived.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Knew a skinhead in my unit in iraq. Got really uncomfortable for.him to forget where he was and who he was with and go off on huge racist tirades. That's my nazi story.

You should have killed yourself in protest

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The whole southerners driving in snow discussion is like saying that all those Rhode Islanders that burned to death in the Station fire died because they just didn't know how to rock out to Great White like their southern brethren.

That Works fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 19, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

No it isn't and shut the gently caress up

No its exactly the same flawed argument.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nefarious posted:

bless your heart

nice

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

Literally the greatest pork barbecue on the planet

Where is this at?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nigel Farage posted:

This is how I picture the American South.

Swamps

Houseboats

Meth Labs

Crawfish everywhere

Catching Frogs for a living

ohh and racist white people.

Please tell me I am right!

Please!

Please!

P much accurate for home.

It's a love / hate kind of place for me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Dregs posted:

Zydeco is what is pulling Louisiana down the same level as the rest of the South.

the gently caress

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fancy sauces posted:

Goddamn I can't wait for the south to rise again and charge God-King Obama's tank columns with glorious homemade tactical vehicles

Also, I know this thread is cherry-picking the worst of everything, but I'm fascinated by the similarities between this and the Russia pic thread, the stagnating culture combined with the glorification of a pseudo-mythical past. Just like how some modern Russians still idolize Stalin, seeing southern whites in crippling poverty idolize a hundred and fifty year old wealthy elite... I know I'm oversimplifying, but I wish I could watch Robert E Lee and Jefferson Davis go on a road trip through the modern south and see how their legacy is remembered

I like to think they would cry at the lack of education and social progress. Lee at the least was an incredibly interesting character in history no matter how you felt about the civil war. Davis is more indefensible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

This is why I was so disappointing with Charlotte (I travel there for business sometimes). The food in that city is mostly... mediocre.

Since then though, numerous Southerners have tried to tell me that Charlotte doesn't count for some reason. Well, they have the "Reverend Billy Graham" highway, so that's plenty rear end-backwards redneck in my book.

Charlotte has been long overrun with transplants from everywhere so it has sorta changed the town into more bland/ broad appeal americana as opposed to its original character. See also: Austin, TX.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah. 3 cases.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Boner Zone posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/23/walmart-removes-confederate-flag-merchandise-from-stores

If you live in the south and know what the confederacy was really all about then this is the best time to be alive.

Hey that's really cool and good.

The best part of the whole "heritage not hate" / "it was about states rights" thing is to calmly remind the person that the CSA constitution mandated slavery for each state, not giving them an individual choice and then watching them try to explain that away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

The dog looks like that cupcake dog but you know this one's never seen a cupcake

Oh it's seen plenty, just for only 1 second at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

thathonkey posted:

The midwest is basically an inferior version of the south. It has all of the lovely parts plus lovely food, cold weather

Agreed

• Locked thread