Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pick posted:

I hear some southerners don't like Dragon Age 2, which is pretty messed up.

shh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

etalian posted:

South makes sense once your realize the original states were founded either by rich assholes who lost the English Civil War and other cases dirt poor rednecks from Ireland/Scotland.

well really it's both; the rich assholes got the good farmland and the dirt poor rednecks had to settle for the cheap seats in the hinterlands

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Pick posted:

I hear some southerners don't like Dragon Age 2, which is pretty messed up.

Nobody likes Dragon Age 2. I'd go so far as to say that Liking Dragon Age 2 is a good indicator for Downs Syndrome.

I really loving hate that game.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

comes along bort posted:

well really it's both; the rich assholes got the good farmland and the dirt poor rednecks had to settle for the cheap seats in the hinterlands

This mire generally true on the coast. Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas were populated more by the middle and lower classes looking for cheap land. That's not to say that rich assholes didn't win in the end through land speculation and the inevitable trickle up of capitalism making large plantations swallow up small ones, but in general the settlers of those deep south states were lower class than say Virginia or south carolina.

Re accents: I like some of them. Shelby Foote comes to mind. I could listen to him all day. The patrician Virginia accent is nice too. Some drive me up the loving wall. Tennessee for instance makes me want to drive 10 inch screws through my brain. Oh and the new Orleans accent... gently caress me I'm a horrible person, but thr black New Orleans accent is horrible. When I heard all those man on the street interviews from Katrina I wanted thr whole city to wash away*.

*not really. More midly annoyed by the accent.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my state was originally a debtor's colony. quite literally a state for convicts.

then later sherman burnt the only good city completely to the ground.

all things considered i feel like we're doing ok :shrug:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

when im older i want to go on a big tour of the south and see all the cities and towns I've read about and heard sung in songs. as it is, america is just too bloody big for a tour holiday so I have to wait until I'm retired so I can have the time to do it. tres annoying.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

Booblord Zagats posted:

My grandpa grew up in a well

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

Re accents: I like some of them. Shelby Foote comes to mind. I could listen to him all day. The patrician Virginia accent is nice too. Some drive me up the loving wall. Tennessee for instance makes me want to drive 10 inch screws through my brain. Oh and the new Orleans accent... gently caress me I'm a horrible person, but thr black New Orleans accent is horrible. When I heard all those man on the street interviews from Katrina I wanted thr whole city to wash away*.

*not really. More midly annoyed by the accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBFMFTxyIx0

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

opus111 posted:

when im older i want to go on a big tour of the south and see all the cities and towns I've read about and heard sung in songs. as it is, america is just too bloody big for a tour holiday so I have to wait until I'm retired so I can have the time to do it. tres annoying.

you should come visit me..for your final stop on the tour :twisted:

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
that guy who had the E/N thread about beating his son every time he disrespected/lied to him and had 10 gayass rules the kids had to follow was such a faaaaaaag bitch. lol and he took his son with him to lift weights after he was done beating the poo poo out of him lmao

and he was from the south ahahahhaa

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LSD CURES JUNKIES posted:

This is what the place I grew up in looked like in 1920's,Hardburly coal mining camp in Hazard,Ky.

If I can find old pictures of where my mom grew up I'll post them.

Southern Accents-It all depends on where in the south the person is from if it sounds nice or godawful. In southeast,Ky it's a hosed up fast mumble thing.

aww look at all the little baby houses following the mother

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

indeed

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
CONFEDERATE STATES!

*drives a pos korean car*

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I've always wondered about this dude's accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cqOEr_yfak

Is that NOLA? That accent just kills me.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hvaeHllwtw

hes got my vote

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

haha that accent is crazy... i'm not exactly sure but it does sound like southern lousiana to me

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

what, aint nobody gonna quote this?

cuz loving lol

This guy eventually did get his weed eater back if anybody was wondering. Or rather one of the good Samaritans that went to his same church gave him their old one when they got a bigger one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

south.jpg

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
lets keep that stuff probably to a minimum i'd say since it isnt really funny and i also made another thread for it that i assume is also on the front page

i realize ofc i also posted that kids picture but going forward etc

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
My grandfather was named Sloan, he had two brothers Pug and Square. Cool names IMO. I am from Texas.

Also, Texas is the South where the landscape is green and Southwest where it starts turning brown.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TeeMerk posted:

Also, Texas is the South where the landscape is green and Southwest where it starts turning brown.

nice people often ask me if texas is part of the south i'm gonna use this

bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)
the weirdest louisiana dialect is yat, which sounds pretty indistinguishable from how working class people speak in new york https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yat_dialect

if you go to NOLA you'll sometimes hear people chattering away and assume they're northern tourists but they grew up in that city and they've never left the state lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bonvivant posted:

the weirdest louisiana dialect is yat, which sounds pretty indistinguishable from how working class people speak in new york https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yat_dialect

if you go to NOLA you'll sometimes hear people chattering away and assume they're northern tourists but they grew up in that city and they've never left the state lol

wow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eYqOKL58Mw

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
less words more pics/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obwFsPZIK0w

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpt9fP8cqSY

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Nope not NOLA. Probably Gulfport or Biloxi, MS. Too much twang for south LA.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

Would. Would, would would would would.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Living in Boston right now and people here sound more like New Orleans than anywhere else in the south that I've lived.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

killaer posted:

I'm not a doctor, but those tits have like 20 different forms of melanoma

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Knew a skinhead in my unit in iraq. Got really uncomfortable for.him to forget where he was and who he was with and go off on huge racist tirades. That's my nazi story.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Knew a skinhead in my unit in iraq. Got really uncomfortable for.him to forget where he was and who he was with and go off on huge racist tirades. That's my nazi story.

did you leave out the good / interesting parts or was that the full story?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

did you leave out the good / interesting parts or was that the full story?

I dunno. The more I think about it, the less funny it is to have a guy joke about killing and raping brown people and knowing in hind sight thay if he had the opportunity hr would do it. Even if they were fellow Americans. So that's the story.

solo humping pro
Jun 4, 2015
You should have put a bullet in his toothpaste

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jastiger posted:

You should have killed yourself in protest

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

killaer posted:

Yet again, more proof for my "over 40, get implants" hypothesis.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

That Works posted:

You should have killed yourself in protest

cool attitude towards vets

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Jastiger posted:

Which strategic donut cache they send u to guard tubby

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

etalian posted:

south.jpg

'hate crime'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

whoflungpoop posted: