Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I kind of missed yesterday, what were the highlights? Shenmue Kickstarter (they literally announced a Kickstarter on stage?), Final Fantasy 7 remake, The Last Guardian (it's totes coming out guys!) are the ones I heard of.

That was pretty much it. Sony capped off the night by making every 30ish nerds dreams come true. Microsoft seemed kind of lame. Gears 4 and a kind of interesting multiplayer for Halo 5. Oh wait, they did announce Dark Souls 3, at least. EA named the new Mass Effect. Ubi really just had new Ghost Recon. Kind of just an OK day until right at the end there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Shenmue thing was weird because they started it off by stating that Sony doesn't have anything to do with it, they just thought it was cool.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reminder

I WANT TO BELIEVE

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The Shenmue thing was weird because they started it off by stating that Sony doesn't have anything to do with it, they just thought it was cool.
I feel like everyone is like not reading between the lines here. Shenmue is not a $2m game, it's pretty obvious that Shenmue is a pitch to Sony that they will fund once they see the interest in the game. It's also coming to PC, though, which might be weird for that arrangement.

But Sony didn't just do it for good PR, they clearly have a vested interest in the game succeeding.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 16, 2015

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

They didn't have anything to do with the Kickstarter itself. I'm sure they have some interest in it beyond that, if not just an exclusivity deal.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also I feel like it keeps being forgotten but i want to remind people that microsoft is bringing steam early access to consoles in case you want to say they did anything good yesterday

Deliberately misconstruing the words 'backwards compatibility' in a way that literally no one interprets them was pretty good too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Deliberately misconstruing the words 'backwards compatibility' in a way that literally no one interprets them was pretty good too.
Put any disc in and it'll work!! If it's one of these 12 games

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The real answer is that they didn't have enough to fill the timeslot. :smug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

And you have to download it, the disc is just DRM now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Sorta. Put in the disc and it downloads a new copy of that game that was made compatible.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I feel like everyone is like not reading between the lines here. Shenmue is not a $2m game, it's pretty obvious that Shenmue is a pitch to Sony that they will fund once they see the interest in the game. It's also coming to PC, though, which might be weird for that arrangement.

But Sony didn't just do it for good PR, they clearly have a vested interest in the game succeeding.

It's kinda ironic that Sony - who effectively killed the Dreamcast and Sega - are now helping to finish off their title series.

FFVII remake looked interesting but it's kind of just a CG trailer at the moment and we've been here before - I reckon we won't see anything more about it for at least a year or two.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

Sorta. Put in the disc and it downloads a new copy of that game that was made compatible.

Time for a 12 game disc swapping thread.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mustache Ride posted:

How about a 12 disc game swapping thread. $299.99 Final Fantasy VII Remake Special Edition on 12 PlayStation Black Discs.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

You might have read my post incorrectly because I am saying it is a bad thing

Anything good they might have done, I will just say "Early Access" and negate it
And if they say "But Prison Architect" (or whatever is the one decent Early Access game, there must be one somehow) you can reply with

I can't get enough of that $150 controller.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

You have to keep the disc in there to play, kind of like how disc based games work this generation.

"Backwards compatibility" coming this late just seems weird. That's something you announce at first and then just kind of taper off once actual games start coming out. Doing it now just seems desperate.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I wish we had seen Sony answer to how awful their PSNow service is. The whole backwards compatibility thing is cool for Xbone but 9 of the 20 games they show that are backwards compatible are on the Rare disc already and the rest are Mass Effect and Hexic.

Sony killed it yesterday but I was hoping they'd speak more about features they were improving or adding to the PS4 via updates. Maybe it'll come up later hopefully.

Also Early Access is loving stupid, finish the game then have people buy it, games have been Early Access for years and it's getting stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

You have to keep the disc in there to play, kind of like how disc based games work this generation.

"Backwards compatibility" coming this late just seems weird. That's something you announce at first and then just kind of taper off once actual games start coming out. Doing it now just seems desperate.

and it was like 10 games, some of which maybe two whole people care about

Guys the Shenmue KS was funded overnight, holy poo poo

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

grrarg posted:

And if they say "But Prison Architect" (or whatever is the one decent Early Access game, there must be one somehow) you can reply with

I could get a copy Shenmue 3 a digital soundtrack and a small plastic toy for that price!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm looking forward to Captain Toad 2, Samus in Mario Kart 8 and Professor Layton in Smash all being announced today

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

grrarg posted:

The Steel Battallion controller was 3 goddamn feet long and was only $200 with a game.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

grrarg posted:

I've had two of my ps4 controllers break out of warranty, I'd gladly spend extra money for a premium controller with premium components that doesn't break in 14 months

Or maybe sony just sucks because these are the first controllers I've ever had break, and they've each had maaaaybe 300 hours of gaming on them, I probably put ten times that on my launch gamecube controller as a young lad and the fucker still works like a charm

deadwing fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 16, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Where do they get the crowds for the conferences. They cheer and clap anything I keep wondering if the sound is getting piped in.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
what the hell are you doing to your controllers to make them break that much

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

He's putting them up his butt

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's Nintendo day! :dance: :woop:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

hemale in pain posted:

He's putting them up his butt

nice

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I don't know these are literally my first broken controllers ever, they've each had some little plastic bar snap in the left trigger making it get stuck in when depressed

Maybe I should stop doing butt stuff with them

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Years of video games have honed your butts into the perfect killing machine. Modern controllers never stood a chance.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You asked for it and today Nintendo delivers. The long-awaited next installment in the Metroid Franchise

Other M 2

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Macaluso posted:

It's Nintendo day and PC Gaming day. :mario::pcgaming:

Too bad the PC gaming conference will probably be one big MOBA circle-jerk.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Nintendo conference all that matters cause there's gonna be games in it that are currently unannounced and will actually come out this year

Other conferences can suck a dick

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nintendo is about to announce Pokemon Snap 2.

Square Enix is having their own conference purely because they are finally happy to reveal The World Ends With You Too

The PC conference is a gigantic smokescreen to surprise us all with a grand reveal of Half Life 3

This is what to expect today

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Square Enix is having their own conference purely because they are finally happy to reveal The World Ends With You Too

I think you mean The World Ends Wii U

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

The PC conference is a gigantic smokescreen to surprise us all with a grand reveal of Half Life 3

Which means HL3 will be revealed to be a MOBA.

Topkill
Dec 1, 2006

You see, the heart of murder is through the heart.
Super Mario RPG 2. My inner 12 year old will always want this to happen.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

CharlestonJew posted:

He has crabhands

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

spasticColon posted:

Play as beloved heroes from the Half-Life franchise:
Gordon Freeman
Alyx Vance
Eli Vance
G-man
Adrian Shephard
Barney Calhoun
Uh...Lamar?
Houndeye or something?
The black assassin ladies from that one specific room in HL1 that never appeared again
Whoever Odessa Cubbage is from the wiki

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

spasticColon posted:

Finally

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Play as beloved heroes from the Half-Life franchise:
Gordon Freeman
Alyx Vance
Eli Vance
G-man
Adrian Shephard
Barney Calhoun
Uh...Lamar?
Houndeye or something?
The black assassin ladies from that one specific room in HL1 that never appeared again
Whoever Odessa Cubbage is from the wiki

You forgot Father Gigori from Ravenholm. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
E3 Thoughts so far:

Macaluso posted:

*I watched this live. It was awesome. I feel like I will buy a Wii U one day just to play this game.

*That hololens looked amazing. Vinnie's "this is hard to believe" from Giantbomb was the best review of it. I saw the previous room and anatomy show, but the Minecraft stuff was what I was waiting for. When I read the Wired article describing the Hololens before they showed it off I thought, "oh poo poo, so THAT'S why the bought Minecraft" and I was glad I was right. I can imagine generation 2 of the Hololens having full room games going on.

*I want that controller for my PC.

*I do not want to pay $150 for a controller. I think my madcatz 360 (which works perfect to this day) was only $30.

*Dreams- What is this? It looks to be a Movie Maker type game. I'd love to know the limits on the system. Can I have a 2hr audio track I can upload into it? Can I use it to make a full movie is what I want to know. I currently animate in Flash and have a few projects in mind that could really use a stylized 3d environment.

That's about it. I didn't really care about most games they announced so far. A lot of it is either the same old stuff or sequels to things I don't play.

One last thing, anyone else think Sony skipped on showing off Morpheus because it looks like a baby's toy compared to the hololens?

• Locked thread