Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Arkham Knight is an O.M.A.C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh my word yes I finally have the ability to land on a car and drag a man out of it.

I AM BATMAN YESSSSSS

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

net cafe scandal posted:

Jason Todd is the third Robin who died at the hands of the Joker and became the vigilante Red Hood later.

Second Robin. Third was Tim Drake.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hello friends. I finished the game and the Harley Quinn stuff, don't have the Red Hood stuff since I didn't preorder from Gamestop. I think it's good.

Is it just me or is the game harder? I got wrecked a few times by brutes, probably intentional. Everything seems to move faster too but this could be because I've spent almost the last year playing a poo poo ton of the last three games so I've gotten used to their timing.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Frankenstyle posted:

Hunh. How do you start the Harley Quinn stuff? I finished the game last night and your post reminded me that I have her DLC, but haven't seen anything in game that says anything about it.

At the main menu you've got an option for Arkham Episodes (or you should!), that's where the Harley Quinn stuff is.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Medium Cool posted:

The throws are an awesome addition to combat, and I don't really miss the batswarm. I also appreciate that the other characters had special combos tied to every button combo, it really helped the flow of combat in dual play for me. We really need more dual play challenge maps, and at least one dual predator challenge. That segment with robin is probably my favorite one in the game.

You know I think that'd probably be my big complaint is that the challenges don't feel the same at all. It's just one round of AR challenges that are integrated into the main game. I like the concept behind unlocking them, do this special thing to unlock a challenge map! But at least combat-wise I miss the multiple rounds of increasing danger. It was an excellent way to practice for one, but I was kinda looking forward to a map with two multi-weapon brutes and like 3-4 medics. About the only thing that really hits the same level I'm looking for is Azrael's map but that's DON'T TAKE A HIT OR YOU'RE BONED map and it takes a while to reach that level of danger.

I guess what I'm saying is where is my GCPD rooftop combat map.

Aside from that the other disappointment is the Deathstroke fight. I mean it sort of cheapens the concept of the Cloudburst tank. Having that be a one-shot fight would be better to me, you can't just taunt me with Deathstroke and then not have the same level of fight as in Arkham Origins.

Aquasnake posted:

Speaking of, is it just me or is the throw counter a little finicky to pull off consistently, like they say press towards the attacker, but it's not really clear where the line is between like, Forward, or Forward-Left, I've even had times where they are like Cardinal Direction North in front of me and it just doesn't work sometimes. I know I have the timing down, but the direction can be tough to pin down.

I've been able to start doing it pretty reliably, the direction isn't as important as the timing is. It's basically your critical counters from the last few games, if a single guy is attacking you you've almost got to wait for them to hit you. Double and triple counters seem to have no timing requirement though, did a triple throw counter with Azrael and it FELT PRETTY GOOD.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

Oh yeah, how the hell do i get that riddle in the old cinema where you have to scan a cell. Something about father figure and i assumed it's something to do with Robin in the cell, but i just keep getting subject obscured.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, something to do with a staff? You can't do it until later.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Not sure about before, but in the post game there's a broken stave with some batarangs on it in front of that cell.

It'll show up there as soon as Scarecrow kidnaps Robin, which is still during the main game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Saint Freak posted:

It is black.

:vince:

I haven't seen most of these things aside from the cops quickly walking away from it and saying "we didn't touch it, honest".

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

You unlock it after you finish the game.

Weird. Mine shows up in the showcase but I don't have the option to make it the skin that is used. I'm playing on PS4 and I can use the '66 Batmobile no problem. It just says unavailable as far as making it the main skin I guess.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

Did you 100% the game? Could that be it?

I also 100%'d the game and still don't have it. It could maybe be locked behind AR challenges or new story +.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Structurally, I believe there were no Robins in Asylum. The Jason Todd business must have happened before City, since we had Tim in that one. I recall Joker making a couple offhand references to it.

There's a DLC challenge map for Arkham City called Joker's Carnival, if you play it as Robin one of the opening lines Joker can use is something to the effect of "didn't I kill you?" I'd assume Jason Todd was Robin during Asylum and Tim Drake was Robin during City. I back this up with Red Hood saying he was tortured in the old abandoned Asylum, so presumably it takes place after Asylum and before City. Not to mention the Robin in City is clearly Tim Drake.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I also hate 243 Riddler challenges as compared to 440 in Arkham City.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Methane posted:

I just jumped back up to the grating.
Good job failing trapmaking 101, Riddler.

The funny thing is that if you keep dodging the spinning blades after the puzzle is finished Batman points out "you can leave any time".

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
A "Perfect" shot is the first vulcan shot hits the glowing weak spot. You've got to do two of those in a row to unlock an AR challenge. A "Critical" shot isn't the first shot but I'll venture its within the first second of you opening up with the vulcan.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ymgve posted:

Anyone else immediately feel that something was odd during the Oracle "suicide" scene? There was no blood or gore after it happened, and the whole mood of that scene seemed odd.

Mostly I was pissed when it first happened. I dd that right before I went to bed and it lingered in my mind as WHAT BULLSHIT IS THIS GAME, COME ON. THIS IS SO GRITTY I GUESS.

I kinda expected it to be an unresolved plot point when I first ran into it. Particularly since Batman didn't mention it to Robin, they made a BIG DEAL ABOUT THAT, but I also didn't talk to Robin after he got locked in the cell. Something about it did seem odd but maybe it speaks to my willingness to believe in how bad comics are that I just took it at face value. Doing LPs of the first three games has given me a particular perspective on how these games treat women I guess.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Something about the ending kinda bugged me. I thought Scarecrow was completely incapable of fear, wouldn't his own toxin have no effect on him?

Scarecrow isn't incapable of fear, only Batman seems to do it for him these days. It still seems unlikely that he wouldn't have tested the toxin on himself.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Seymour Buttz posted:

Wow I got to 96% completion (Only a mere 173 Riddler things left[gently caress that]) without ever getting one of the gadgets. I looked it up and apparently there's a freeze thing in the movie studios that you never even need to use. I was wondering when that spot in the gadget/upgrade menus was going to get filled and then just forgot about it after a while.

I guess that's cool that there's a gadget you only use if you want to.

That's a thing. I didn't get the freeze grenade until post-game and that's because I needed it for a few riddler trophies. Otherwise it's completely unnecessary. And that's weird for Batman gadgets.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Terrible Horse posted:

Is there a trick to the batmobile shooting gallery riddler trophy on the back of the orphanage besides "shoot faster?" I never get a prompt for a multiple missile strike or anything.

Yeah, there's a winch point on the opposite wall that fills your special meter up constantly. I already had the x10 missiles at that point so EVERY TARGET EVER.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

Man of Steel was good. Batman '66 was also good.

It's almost like you guys are inventing weird fictional people to argue with.

Straw man arguments? On the internet? No. impossible.

I would also like to see a Batman '66 game but I also really enjoy Arkham Knight. I've got a few hangups but I didn't mind the Batmobile and I liked the take on the Arkham Knight.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Use the midair line launcher.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

acksplode posted:

The Batman metroidvania turned out ok

There's plenty of bad ways to do it! See: Arkham Origins Blackgate.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Are you going to LP it?

Hell no I ain't touchin' that. I picked it up on one of Steam's holiday sales and tried it out for a while, game is terrible.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

Nvm about the sentry guns. Just had to play more of the story.

Just stumbled upon one of my favorite gadgets in the studio. If you don't find it yourself, does the game eventually send you to get it for the main story or riddles?

The game never tells you about it. I didn't find it until I looked it up online for solving some riddles post-game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mr. Freeze has a giant ice tank. Shoot it with the Batmobile. :shepicide:

Didn't Freeze have a huge icetank in Batman and Robin? YES THIS IS AWESOME ICE TO MEET YOU

poo poo yes give me a dual predator room with Robin STAY COOL BIRD BOY

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, that's the one and only challenge I've maxed out rivalry points with, haha.

I really miss the challenge system of City and Origins now, gotta admit. The AR system is decent but it feels like a big step down in terms of "load up and punch dudes for twenty minutes".

This is my one big gripe with the game, I miss the challenge mode. Especially considering the new combat system!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's all about how the Joker got used. I didn't mind him in City but he just completely warped the plot in Origins, when what was originally presented was "early days mob fighting Batman". I was interested in seeing how that panned out rather than how the Joker got started. Despite the whole JOKER BLOOD CHANGES YOU thing being a threat of plot black hole, instead it was a pretty decent showing of how the fear toxin was affecting Batman. Considering how the last three games completely revolved around the Joker, it's pretty fitting that the fear toxin caused us all to see what we feared: THE JOKER CAME BACK.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

are there any villains that would work for a 1vs1 predator segment? because that could be cool. make it so detective mode doesn't work for some reason, and have an AI behaving basically like a batman hunting the PC. Throw in some unexpected moves and it would be a fun fight, I'm surprised they've never done it.

Mr. Freeze did that in City. The final fight in Origins and the DLC both acted pretty differently though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody is listening to me when I say this, but -

take out thugs. For some reason new Riddler informants don't spawn unless you're taking out regular thugs.

I listened to this but I had already done 100% by that point. This seems to be true, I just hopped in the Batmobile rather than flying around looking for dudes and got a lot more spawns. Some of them ran in the way of the totally not deadly tires though.

I think they reduced the number of riddles that are revealed with each informant as well. I did a pretty leisurely run of Arkham City and just grabbed informants as I found them and had no issue with everything being revealed after the end. Here I had to hunt them down in post game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Crowetron posted:

I'm a console guy so I've been spared the brunt of WB's incompetence these last few months.

Didn't Arkham Origins have some sort of create-a-challenge system? Or am I misremembering?

They had an achievement for doing all the challenge maps with custom modifiers but no create-a-challenge system, no.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Funky Valentine posted:

The batmobile is okay.

Counterpoint: you're okay.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The way I look at the dual predator love is a bit like the way the old challenge maps were set up. I exhaustively played Arkham City's challenge maps with every character. Why wouldn't they do the same sort of thing but with some medal mix-ups for Arkham Knight? Either have a challenge with medals between the two characters or make some special ones just for dual predator takedowns. The way they poo poo up the challenge mode is probably my biggest gripe, why would you take out the core replayability of your game? poo poo, just make it like Arkham City's challenges but with more options for pair-ups. Catwoman against Knight militia! Robin against Penguin thugs! Batman and Catwoman dual predator, scratch that minigunner's eyes out!

I feel like the movie studios was one of the better setpieces in the game and it's because it really capitalized on the concept of their new dual mechanics.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did I share this already? This is a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2TiVdIjEtk

It's an okay video. It eschews most of the discussion of gameplay flaws or design choices in favor of LOOK AT THIS PLOT HOLE! LOOK AT THIS MINOR COSMETIC PROBLEM!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

10 Beers posted:

Is this the one where Gordon is in the hospital and Alfred and Batman are both thereand Alfred gets to land a sick burn?

I don't know if that's the comic it came from but I think these are the panels you're referring to.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Catwoman in AC was not free to add as a freeroam option for Rocksteady. It's unlikely she would have been in the game if she weren't part of their used game sale prevention strategy.

The things they need to do off the top of my head:

Design work to deal with where each character can go/do and programmatic support of the same - for starters, not allowing Harley to be used during the FEAR GAS EVERYWHERE segment. Should Harley be able to do Watchtower missions? If not, how does their existence affect her ability to travel around. At every point in the story, what happens/does it make sense if we switch to Harley RIGHT NOW. How does Harley deal with freeroaming tanks? Etc, etc, there's a lot of work here.

Any animation that is necessary for travel around the city that you didn't realize wasn't actually used in her mission

New dialogue for the various groups of mooks AND dialogue for Harley when she interacts with them. If Harley collects a Riddler trophy, does he have unique dialogue?

How do the various weather effects interact with her outfit? What tricks were used on the batsuit that are not applicable to an outfit like hers?

How does jumping down from a great height work with Harley, since she has no ability to glide? How does grappling work without gliding? Do we rig the entire city so that every model supports alternate climbing like they did for Catwoman in AC? Without gliding, is it frustrating to move from one island to the other since you have to move straight down the bridges?

There's a lot of work from every department. It's much easier to create a short, highly scripted scenario than it is to design, code, animate, voice, and test adapting a character you haven't designed from the ground up to work in the open world and making them freeroam.

The quick answer I can think of for how Harley navigates is that in every incarnation she's lauded as a very capable gymnast. I imagine she wouldn't have a problem navigating like Catwoman, given her acrobatics in Arkham Asylum.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the free roam portion isn't something I've really thought as being necessary. But when Catwoman was a thing in Arkham City she was fully implemented in the challenge rooms and they didn't exactly pull any punches just because she had a smaller combat repertoire. The only things you get to do with Harley Quinn is her quick set of maps and it doesn't give you a feel for everything you encounter in the game.

But then I've said before that if I had one complaint above all others it's the challenge maps. They did the same thing and it worked well for three games, why ruin it now.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ayn rand hand job posted:

arkhamknightbatmobile.txt

I didn't mind the Batmobile. The only gripe I had with the Batmobile is I felt like Deathstroke got totally chumped in his bossfight, otherwise I felt like the escalating drone battles were a constant challenge. I liked the stealth feeling of the Cobra tanks. I didn't even mind the Arkham Knightmobile fight and I died because I clipped a wall.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

How annoying is I Am the Night mode in Arkham Origins? That's the one big Batman achievement I never got (and I guess multiplayer, but I'm not doing multiplayer).

Depends on how willing you are to swing with some bugs. Having your run end because Deadshot suddenly had eyes in the back of his head and executed his hostage is...one of those moments.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
"niche mode in a mass market game" sounds a lot more like Call of Duty Zombies. "arcade-scored single-mistake-ruins-your-run" also sounds a lot more like how the challenge maps are currently set up. The wave-by-wave approach gave you the leniency to make a mistake here and there. poo poo, maybe Batmobile challenges would even be more palatable if they did a wave-by-wave approach. Or if they did a real survival mode instead of making every one "one hit and you're gone lol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CuwiKhons posted:

That makes sense, especially for a game like Batman where a huge chunk of the appeal is how good the combat is. Why wouldn't you want to be able to just drop into a room and beat the poo poo out of waves of enemies without having to fly around the city looking for people to beat up?

Even better, I can beat people up and then have arbitrary numbers attached to judge and validate me.

• Locked thread