Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp
This is one of the craziest videos I've ever seen. A woman sitting in a hotel dining area of a Malaysian hotel appears to be attacked by a ghost. It first moves a few chairs, but then proceeds to throw a table at her then it looks like she gets hit and knocked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss5u3mFmXv4

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp
In folklore, mythology, and modern media such as literary fiction, a ghost (sometimes known as a spectre (British English) or specter (American English), phantom, apparition or spook) is the soul or spirit of a dead person or animal that can appear, in visible form or other manifestation, to the living. Descriptions of the apparition of ghosts vary widely from an invisible presence to translucent or barely visible wispy shapes, to realistic, lifelike visions. The deliberate attempt to contact the spirit of a deceased person is known as necromancy, or in spiritism as a sance.

The belief in manifestations of the spirits of the dead is widespread, dating back to animism or ancestor worship in pre-literate cultures. Certain religious practicesfuneral rites, exorcisms, and some practices of spiritualism and ritual magicare specifically designed to rest the spirits of the dead. Ghosts are generally described as solitary essences that haunt particular locations, objects, or people they were associated with in life, though stories of phantom armies, ghost trains, phantom ships, and even ghost animals have also been recounted.

The English word ghost continues Old English gst, from a hypothetical Common Germanic *gaistaz. It is common to West Germanic, but lacking in North Germanic and East Germanic (the equivalent word in Gothic is ahma, Old Norse has andi m., nd f.). The pre-Germanic form was *ghoisdo-s, apparently from a root denoting "fury, anger" reflected in Old Norse geisa "to rage". The Germanic word is recorded as masculine only, but likely continues a neuter s-stem. The original meaning of the Germanic word would thus have been an animating principle of the mind, in particular capable of excitation and fury (compare r). In Germanic paganism, "Germanic Mercury", and the later Odin, was at the same time the conductor of the dead and the "lord of fury" leading the Wild Hunt.

Besides denoting the human spirit or soul, both of the living and the deceased, the Old English word is used as a synonym of Latin spiritus also in the meaning of "breath" or "blast" from the earliest attestations (9th century). It could also denote any good or evil spirit, i.e. angels and demons; the Anglo-Saxon gospel refers to the demonic possession of Matthew 12:43 as se unclna gast. Also from the Old English period, the word could denote the spirit of God, viz. the "Holy Ghost". The now prevailing sense of "the soul of a deceased person, spoken of as appearing in a visible form" only emerges in Middle English (14th century). The modern noun does, however, retain a wider field of application, extending on one hand to "soul", "spirit", "vital principle", "mind" or "psyche", the seat of feeling, thought and moral judgement; on the other hand used figuratively of any shadowy outline, fuzzy or unsubstantial image, in optics, photography and cinematography especially a flare, secondary image or spurious signal.[4]

The synonym spook is a Dutch loanword, akin to Low German spk (of uncertain etymology); it entered the English language via the United States in the 19th century.[5][6][7][8] Alternative words in modern usage include spectre (from Latin spectrum), the Scottish wraith (of obscure origin), phantom (via French ultimately from Greek phantasma, compare fantasy) and apparition. The term shade in classical mythology translates Greek σκιά,[9] or Latin umbra,[10] in reference to the notion of spirits in the Greek underworld. "Haint" is a synonym for ghost used in regional English of the southern United States,[11] and the "haint tale" is a common feature of southern oral and literary tradition.[12] The term poltergeist is a German word, literally a "noisy ghost", for a spirit said to manifest itself by invisibly moving and influencing objects.[13]

Wraith is a Scots word for "ghost", "spectre" or "apparition". It came to be used in Scottish Romanticist literature, and acquired the more general or figurative sense of "portent" or "omen". In 18th- to 19th-century Scottish literature, it was also applied to aquatic spirits. The word has no commonly accepted etymology; the OED notes "of obscure origin" only.[14] An association with the verb writhe was the etymology favored by J. R. R. Tolkien.[15] Tolkien's use of the word in the naming of the creatures known as the Ringwraiths has influenced later usage in fantasy literature. Bogey[16] or bogy/bogie is a term for a ghost, and appears in Scottish poet John Mayne's Hallowe'en in 1780.[17][18]

A revenant is a deceased person returning from the dead to haunt the living, either as a disembodied ghost or alternatively as an animated ("undead") corpse. Also related is the concept of a fetch, the visible ghost or spirit of a person yet alive.

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp
A notion of the transcendent, supernatural or numinous, usually involving entities like ghosts, demons or deities, is a cultural universal.[19] In pre-literate folk religions, these beliefs are often summarized under animism and ancestor worship.[20]

In many cultures malignant, restless ghosts are distinguished from the more benign spirits involved in ancestor worship.[21]

Ancestor worship typically involves rites intended to prevent revenants, vengeful spirits of the dead, imagined as starving and envious of the living. Strategies for preventing revenants may either include sacrifice, i.e., giving the dead food and drink to pacify them, or magical banishment of the deceased to force them not to return. Ritual feeding of the dead is performed in traditions like the Chinese Ghost Festival or the Western All Souls' Day. Magical banishment of the dead is present in many of the world's burial customs. The bodies found in many tumuli (kurgan) had been ritually bound before burial,[22] and the custom of binding the dead persists, for example, in rural Anatolia.[23]

Nineteenth-century anthropologist James Frazer stated in his classic work, The Golden Bough, that souls were seen as the creature within that animated the body

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
hosed up if true

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012
Is this an ad for a new Paranormal Activity movie?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6d3h-NpS8

Pox
Feb 16, 2015

solo humping pro
Jun 4, 2015
WOW WOAH

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
i'm fricked out op

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

pixelbaron posted:

i'm fricked out op

You and me both dude.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Lol if you believe in spooky dead interior decorators.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lol she got knocked the gently caress out

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
What a rude ghost. I envision being a laid back ghost, wouldn't even know I'm there. Not sure id be a voueuristic peeping Tom ghost but I imagine eventually I'd dabble in it

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

Kuato posted:

What a rude ghost. I envision being a laid back ghost, wouldn't even know I'm there. Not sure id be a voueuristic peeping Tom ghost but I imagine eventually I'd dabble in it

Not me. If I were a ghost I'd be touching her butthole while she laid there. I mean...what is anyone gonna do about it? Kill me?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I want to believe.

gently caress you, "facts" and "science" and "logic". Just gently caress off.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
prob some viral marketing for some horror movie that gonna suck but it still cool

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Paging Chinatown, the GBS expert on dead Malaysians, to this thread.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like id trust anything from the mexico of asia

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
it was magnets. myth busted op, get outta here with that amateur poo poo.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
here i sanother ghost attack video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJJBNF2YZ-k

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

soy posted:

Like id trust anything from the mexico of asia

But your name is soy.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

:eyepop:

im the fat guy tryin to get to the buffet

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
im the buffet tryin to get to the fat guy

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
ahaha she reacted so comically

Diet Sodium
Apr 29, 2009
Stay safe poverty ghost

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

Zeike posted:

ahaha she reacted so comically

BLAM!!! SPLAT!!! POW!!!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

f-tron posted:

Stay safe poverty ghost

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
stay safe ghost

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

whom! this really scared me! irrefutable proof imnsho. dint watch at night!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
In a way its scary but in a bigger way its awesome to confirm supernatural stuff is real and theres more layers to existence

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
pretty good fake video nice

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
lmao at how fake it looks

MisterMachine
Oct 15, 2014

by Ralp

lonesomedwarf posted:

whom! this really scared me! irrefutable proof imnsho. dint watch at night!

Personally I've never seen anything like this in my life. I doubt strings could do all that poo poo.

naem
May 29, 2011

Satay goat, soaps

naem
May 29, 2011

Nope groats a post, pope

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i ain't afraid of no ghosts

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

MisterMachine posted:

Personally I've never seen anything like this in my life. I doubt strings could do all that poo poo.

a greed, op,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

some times i think about ghosts and get v scared and upset. but what if ghosts could be friends? what if a girl ghost comes from the television and says in seben days you will be ver. happy, this is what i choose to beliefe. ghosts are for love and caring, a ghost of love

• Locked thread