Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

texaholic posted:

Asking for a friend, How much PC can you get for $350-$400? Which is roughly equivalent to a brand new PS4 or Xbone?

Yes it is cheaper but here's the thing: It's not cheaper initially, OP. If you want a decent system you have to pay like $800 minimum, probably a bit more. However, once you do have that, you get poo poo like Steam and Humble Bundles, and suddenly $60 will buy you a whole LOAD of games; and everything gets discounted quicker.

Maybe when Steambox finally gets some good mass produced models, that could be the cheapest way to go. But you will make up the price difference in very short order, if you buy games.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

but a loving ps3 plays gta5 . clearlyt it is better, even though it itself is a computer that is somehow magic that a computer cant do (presssing the settings button and "low" is way too hard lol)

GTA V runs ridiculously well on moderate to low end hardware actually. It's optimized to hell and back.

The PS3 version blows anyway; the nextgen GTA V is the proper release, lastgen was a lovely beta.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Well if you buy a console yeah you basically have a cheapass old pc that plays everything at low res and the selection of games is dictated to you by the corporation that made the system, which sometimes entitles you to their lovely exclusives that everyone will forget within a few months of release.

We are living in the golden era of ports though, thanks to the Xbone running on literal loving Windows, mostly. Sure the interfaces still suck from time to time, but overall the gameplay and such from developers like Capcom and Rockstar is rock solid on PC, and in many cases, PC is the definitive version now, with extra features and better graphics.

Sure some people still gently caress up hard (The recent Dead or Alive disaster), but overall, go play a port from Capcom in like 2006 and you'll see what I mean pretty quick.

... and fortunately PC is amusingly in this odd spot to get exclusives more and more, too. A lot of the upcoming exclusives read "Specific Console + PC." Esp. Xbone titles. The only game we've not seen a good port of is Demon Soul's yet, and that's just a matter of time.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ramsus posted:

fuckin pissed about bloodborne though

Give it time; people already found a Steam entry for it that got pulled once mentioned, but given the previous ports, I'd expect an announcement in about six months.

The sad part is it's literally the only worthwhile exclusive outside of maybe a couple racing games that exists right now. And if you look at the upcoming exclusive releases, the list is hilariously poo poo and the few exceptions are slated for getting Windows ports.

So unless you really, really love "run the gently caress into the ground by a lovely new developer and it was already pretty poo poo" Halo, you're probably good in the long run.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acid Haze posted:

I built a computer 7 years ago that cost me around $1000 spaced out over several months. It still can play anything that comes out for the PC today, and on high settings. All I've upgraded is the video card, the CPU is a liquid cooled 3ghz core-2-duo. I'm playing Attila Total War right now which is a fairly GPU and CPU intensive game but it still runs well.

One benefit consoles have had on PC gaming is because everyone wants to make sure they can release on console, they've effectively cut the tech arms race way the hell back. Nobody's pushing the highest end hardware to it's limit so more and more, you don't need it. As long as you PC is better than the weakest of the two mainstream systems, you'll get ports handicapped by said system.

Last gen the Xbox360 was the handicap, this gen it's the Xbone. The gen before that it was PS/2. Wii is an example of what happens when you go TOO far underspec; you get lovely, lovely "ports" that are actually horrendous farmed out knock-off games that share the same art assets with far lower polygons.

hemophilia posted:

If you're not a hand-wringing bitch who feels sorry for shitheaded publishers like activision and electronic arts, you will basically pay for the cost of computer hardware instantly with your piracy options, if you smartly choose to use them rather than give electronic arts a cent of your money.

Or if you want to fund the developers and not be an rear end in a top hat, give some of your money to Valve instead and just buy poo poo on Steam sale. Unless it's MP centric or a runaway smash like Skyrim, the discounts come fast and they come easy.

I wouldn't blame someone for pirating a ridiculous $70 game, to be honest. It's loving nuts. But when the price is slashed to like $10 or even far less, gently caress, just buy it already.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 19, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Matey posted:

but wait

The thing he's not getting is your Microwave probably isn't running on a proper full build of Windows. Not talking Windows CE here.

Xbone is a full version of Windows gimped to only run Xbox software. Literally. I think the PS4 is just running straight up Linux now too, isn't it?

ED: Literally to cross develop a game on Xbone - PC, all you have to do is add support for more video settings, adjust the UI, and add hardware support. It's already pretty much done beyond that.

Matey posted:

is my smartphone a computer?

By the technical definition, absolutely.

It's just not a personal computer. But it is the definition of a computer.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah the fact most modern engines can spit out compiled games for multiple platforms has also been a boon to PCs.

Literally in some cases if you press "PS4" instead of "Xbox One" or "PC" it'll spit out a fully operational PS4 build, just lacking in the proper nomenclature or hardware optimization. But that is literally 90% of the work in the past, in one click.

hemophilia posted:

eat poo poo retard

Supports a system that pays the developers and doesn't rip off the customer? Retarded!

"Please release more PC ports so we can pirate them" is how the PC nearly went to extinction in the first place.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A guy at my work spent 3 grand building a gaming pc and when he listed the specs he said that it should last 10 years running stuff on ultra but I'm pretty sure pound for pound its like 20% better than the 800$ PC i built and then its only really the graphics card.

shameful

My PC is old as poo poo (An i5 750) and upgrading the graphics card has allowed me to run everything I want maxed out without issue.

Maybe I'll have to turn the settings down in Star Citizen but the alpha runs pretty smooth so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NakedWithCandy posted:

Notice how every time they say games are cheaper they mention a 5+ year old game.

Unless it's an insane megahit the prices drop sharply inside of six months.

• Locked thread