Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
I built a computer 7 years ago that cost me around $1000 spaced out over several months. It still can play anything that comes out for the PC today, and on high settings. All I've upgraded is the video card, the CPU is a liquid cooled 3ghz core-2-duo. I'm playing Attila Total War right now which is a fairly GPU and CPU intensive game but it still runs well.

Bad thing is there are hardly any big-title releases for the PC that aren't on a console. The Total War series is one, and I prefer first person shooters on the PC always, but that's just my opinion. Fallout and the ME series I also preferred on the computer. But there's just not much coming out now in terms of games that really utilize the power a PC can have.

5 years ago you had games that came out bi-monthly that could max out the power of several thousand dollar PC's, and the boundaries were constantly being pushed. But the consoles killed the market, and then the competitive 1-upsmanship between Intel and AMD died and AMD left the PC market altogether. Plus it's easier to make games when you're making them for millions of consoles which all run the same hardware and software.

Basically I'm saying it's not the greatest time to build a gaming PC. But it's cool to build it and have it so go ahead if you have the money, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread