Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
money represents resources and we're getting about as much food out of the ground as we can, so not sending probes to where ever the gently caress won't feed a single extra person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Yes, there's not enough food to go around. Congratulations you figured out the reason for world hunger.

how is diverting money from nasa going to help distribute food exactically?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Anyone gonna talk to about the Cereal pyramid? Those bright spots gonna be domed alien cities. Calling it now.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe the domes Cereal cities are full of technology about growing cereal grains. Ever thought of that.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

nah, its definitely got some odd color splotches on it
should be more interesting looking than ceres

not when they find out those bright spots are abandoned glass domes

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

two outta four aint bad

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Our probe desecrating their sacred sky will piss of the Plutonians, but do not fear they will not attack us because they will decide the money is better spent feeding Pluto's children.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

With this money we could have killed dozens of ISIS members and hundreds of civilians!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I imagine producing 7 billion doses would get the price down an order of magnitude or more.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

opus111 posted:

wHAT HAS SCIENCE RESEARCH EVER DONE FOR ME?

*lives in mind-numbing comfort in a world super power in 2015*

speak for self, comrade

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Page Downfall posted:

"Why not give up" isn't much of an argument against the pointlessness of everything. It's not an argument about what to do, it's just a description of how things are. Ultimately, you will die and everyone who ever mattered to you will also cease to exist and shortly after, no one will remember you who you were, what you love and what drives you, or even care to know.

If you're struggling with this I recommend the Everest thread. Or more time looking at the rest of the universe (like these awesome photos of Pluto we're all about to enjoy).

Also my boner is dwarfing this planet right now.

has your boner cleared the neighborhood around its orbit?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe we should figure out how to shrink space. How're we suppose to get anywhere when space is so loving big.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

it may be easier, it's probably loosened up a bit

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Orkin Mang posted:

yeah, how bout, call me when they send a probe to the Booze nebula.

When sober children in africa don't have any booze? Disgraceful.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I hope they fix it or this'll be the biggest blue balls ever.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

euphronius posted:

Crazy that thing only has 8 gigs of memory.

But is it DDR3 or GDDR5 and is there any on chip ESDRAM?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Decebal posted:

The medium around Jupiter has the most intense radiation anywhere in the Solar system. A small nuclear reactor from earth wouldn't make much difference. Also, wouldn't all that rad. sterilize the lander ?

Tardigrades might survive and we'd be setting ourselves up for an invasion in a few million years.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

NASA's budget could buy every American man, woman and child Five Guys six times a year.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Matt Damon is growing potatoes on Mars so he can open a Five Guys.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

ah yes. that's nice.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

That movie pissed me off with bad orbital mechanics, but made up for it with absolutely rockin' tits.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

Dance of death is totally real.

scifi.stackexchange disagrees

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

they should have put a big spring on the front of the probe, then they could bounce it off of Pluto and absorb some of that speed to put it into orbit

Simulations run in KSP would suggests this works just fine.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

red spot is dying. nothing lasts forever

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The current definition is pretty good though. Picking a convenient size cut off seems arbitrary.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Don Dixon is a wizard.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Charon is clearly a dwarf planet whose orbit is being perturbed by Pluto.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

and CCD pixels.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

the melting the runway thing is pretty badass tho

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

They're waiting for the Google Dream to finish rendering so they can troll everyone.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Pluto-chan got goose bumps because senpai finally noticed her.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

Run one alongside a 'solve world poverty' one, and I bet NASA will get more money.

well yeah, but we actually know how to launch probes

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Most likely FTL is just impossible no matter how advanced you are. You need a very compelling reason to build generation ships, which would keep one empire from spreading across the galaxy.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

nope, FTL isn't necessary to colonize the galaxy. for one thing we have no idea what the life span of aliens is. for two, if you can make ships that go close to the speed of light then time slows down for the occupants and makes the journey quick and leisurely

The effort to make a generation ship would involve a huge population but only the passengers would benefit. After spreading your species to a couple different star systems you'd probably just say gently caress it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Rutibex posted:

thats what im saying, you don't need a generation ship. it might take 10,000 years to go to the next star over in real time, but the ships occupants would experience it as 1 year if they are traveling close enough to the speed of light:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgpcqiiTM8A

oh, okay I get your point. You'd still have the same problem as a generation ship in that the population that built it wouldn't benefit.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I don't think colonizing other stars is impossible or that no species would. I just think once you have a few star systems and each star system is self sustaining why spread further? You can't bring goods back, and your species is already protected from extinction. I think it's more likely to be a bunch of species that have colonized small pockets of the galaxy than there's no space-faring species because no species has colonized all of it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Andromeda Galaxy in 28 years? Time dilation is a hell of a drug.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe at some point you evolve past the need for planets. Then again if Dyson Spheres or whatever exist we'd probably notice a bunch of infrared "stars".

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

After the Rift is invented every society works on creating a pocket universe where they can enjoy their anime realities without the risk of external factors interfering, and so they disappear from our universe completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

John Carmack abandoning Armadillo and joining Oculus is proof of the inevitability of anime dicks.

• Locked thread