Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

11 seasons?! Christmas. Please don't take this time to remind me of Dontrelle Willis' age.

Has it been said already if the full voting tally will be made public at some point? I'm now pretty sure that Sam Fuld is not going to be in the top 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hate Felix Hernandez because I can't not stay up late to watch his starts and then I'm really loving tired the next morning.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#9, at 50 pts.: Ichiro Suzuki

Ichiro
Team: Miami Marlins
Position: Outfield
#1 votes: 2
#2 votes: 1
#3 votes: 0

What's to love? Everybody loves Ichiro, the quintessential slap hitter. He started playing baseball professionally in 1992, yes, 23 years ago, for the Orix Blue Wave, but didn't receive regular playing time until 1994 because of his weird swing. Once he was in, he was in, racking up 1278 hits and a .353 average through the 2000 season. Orix let him sign with an MLB team to start the 2001 season, and he made the move to Seattle, the team he is most known for - and proceeded to win the AL RoY and the MVP. He was one of the first Japanese players to play in the majors and has been the best of the lot as well. Taking on Randy Johnson's uniform number, Ichiro has since put up 2887 hits in the majors - his ten consecutive seasons of 200+ hits is unmatched in the history of the game (he led MLB in hits no fewer than 7 seasons!). He did this with an average of .316, leading the AL twice. He's also known for his goofy sense of humor, lifelong friendship with Ken Griffey Jr., and profanity-laden All-Star Game speeches. Anyways, I could go on, but y'all should.

code:
9. Ichiro Suzuki
10. Felix Hernandez
11. Hunter Pence
12. Jose Bautista
13. Buster Posey
14. R.A. Dickey
15. Munenori Kawasaki
16. Mark Buehrle
17. Anthony Rizzo
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Finally, a player I voted for. Good job SAS, it's impossible not to love Ichiro.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Please someone link the Ichiro song by Ben Gibbard.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNG2cRlHfaY

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of Ichiro's finest hours.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl8soVwBW30

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Was going to post this, failing that my reaction to Ichiro in this list even though I'm an idiot and didn't vote for him.

One Tall Fellow
Oct 22, 2006

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.

Bow wow best friend.
Oh my god. How did I forget about Ichiro? I am now ashamed of my ballot and its lack of that beautiful, trilingual trash-talker.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

One Tall Fellow posted:

Oh my god. How did I forget about Ichiro?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I forgot about Ichiro too. :negative: In fairness, can you believe he's still hitting?

I only have four players on my list still left, and one if he hasn't shown up already probably won't.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grittybeard posted:

Was going to post this, failing that my reaction to Ichiro in this list even though I'm an idiot and didn't vote for him.

This is so good I forgot about this one. She freaks out about Ichiro touching her :laffo:

I'm glad I remembered Ichiro. I still feel awful about forgetting A-Rod.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I can't find the drat thing on Youtube can someone post the Ichiro home run explosion and shockwave

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I raise you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71h2sG3lz8

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Post more of these tia

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

I was looking for this a month ago and could not for the life of me find it. Thank you.

Ichirowns

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't someone make one of those with Bonds's homer off the Angels in Game Six?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

+1 to the I can't believe I forgot Ichiro pile

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shame on anyone who did not vote for Ichiro.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So who's my Ichiro #1 Vote bro? :smug:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#7, 2-way tie at 59 pts.: Brandon McCarthy and Yasiel Puig

Brandon McCarthy
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Position: Pitcher
#1 votes: 0
#3 votes: 1

What's to love? Easily getting in on a volume of votes, Brandon McCarthy isn't getting in for his baseball skills so much as for who he is. On the field, he's shown flashes of greatness, including a couple of great seasons in Oakland, but has been injury-prone and swapped around - 6 teams in 10 seasons and missing all of 2010 to shoulder surgery. OFF the field, though, the dude has earned his reputation as an irreverent and fun player who is more than happy to interact with fans (and other players!) via his constantly hilarious twitter account. His wife has the same temperament, and their banter can't be missed. Errybody post your favorite tweets because I'm just plucking the low-hanging fruit.

Yasiel Puig
Team: Los Angeles Cash Havers
#1 votes: 1

What's to love? Temperamentally quite different from his teammate, Yasiel Puig defected in 2012 and was signed by the Dodgers to a 7-year deal. He's been incredibly productive for them, batting .301/.382/.495 over the past three seasons. Although he's toned it down recently, he is also known for his aggressive (some might say foolhardy) playing style and the fact that he looks like he's having fun playing the game. In other words, he doesn't Play the Game the Right Way - sportswriters hate him for it and we love it. Instead of recounting all his foibles, I'm merely including the index to Molly Knight's recent book about the Dodgers.

code:
7.  Brandon McCarthy
    Yasiel Puig
9.  Ichiro Suzuki
10. Felix Hernandez
11. Hunter Pence
12. Jose Bautista
13. Buster Posey
14. R.A. Dickey
15. Munenori Kawasaki
16. Mark Buehrle
17. Anthony Rizzo
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 11, 2015

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who are the jerks that didn't put Puig in their top 3?!? Shame!! Shame!! Shame!!

The bat flips!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Holy poo poo someone actually saved that MadBum-Puig photoshop

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoeank posted:

Holy poo poo someone actually saved that MadBum-Puig photoshop

I had an entire folder of Puig pictures that I posted on one of my fantasy baseball team forums last year, and I'm just now finding out that ESPN wipes the message board every season. There were a good 30 Puig pictures on there, because I've had Puig since he got called up and people would bitch about him single-handedly winning me weeks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Drunk Tomato posted:

So who's my Ichiro #1 Vote bro? :smug:

Yo.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
As a person who follows baseball after basketball, hockey, and football; this thread delivers. Knowledge, humor, and elevated awareness of players to look out for. A+ thread, will continue to follow countdown!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Xenophon posted:

What's to love? Easily getting in on a volume of votes, Brandon McCarthy isn't getting in for his baseball skills so much as for who he is. On the field, he's shown flashes of greatness, including a couple of great seasons in Oakland, but has been injury-prone and swapped around - 6 teams in 10 seasons and missing all of 2010 to shoulder surgery. OFF the field, though, the dude has earned his reputation as an irreverent and fun player who is more than happy to interact with fans (and other players!) via his constantly hilarious twitter account. His wife has the same temperament, and their banter can't be missed. Errybody post your favorite tweets because I'm just plucking the low-hanging fruit.

I like the MSPaint job he did for his Twitter avatar after SI or ESPN did a piece on Oakland's young guns of Gio Gonzalez/Trevor Cahill/Brett Anderson/Dallas Braden (sidenote: woooof)

Also I guess nobody ranked McCarthy or Muni as high as I did, so it looks my ballot is Objectively the Rightest

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Nos. 2 and 3 on my list still haven't shown up but I fully expect them to soon, here's hoping :ohdear:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#6, at 62 pts.: Chris Sale

Chris Sale
Team: Chicago White Sox
Position: Pitcher
#1 votes: 3

What's to love? Chris Sale has a lot of support from White Sox fans on this board who have few other players to vote for and from general respect from posters - even a Cubs poster or two cast votes for this gangly pitch man from the South Side. Sale is best known for his awkward "inverted W" delivery and impressive results. In 2010 he became one of only 5 players in MLB history to play at the game's highest level the same year he was drafted. Becoming a regular starter in 2012, these are the ERAs by season Sale has put up since then: 2012, 3.05; 2013, 3.07; 2014, 2.17; 2015, 2.72. Even this season, he tied Pedro Martinez's record for 8 consecutive starts with 10+ strikeouts.

that slider though

code:
6.  Chris Sale
7.  Brandon McCarthy
    Yasiel Puig
9.  Ichiro Suzuki
10. Felix Hernandez
11. Hunter Pence
12. Jose Bautista
13. Buster Posey
14. R.A. Dickey
15. Munenori Kawasaki
16. Mark Buehrle
17. Anthony Rizzo
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
#5, at 71 pts.: Mike Trout

The Millville Meteor
Team: Los Angeles Angels
#1 votes: 3
#3 votes: 0

What's to love? This guy is truly a generational talent, and has probably been the best baseball player for the last few years despite the fact that he's only 23. In his first full season, 2012, he won Rookie of the Year and came in second for the AL MVP; in his second full season he once again was second in MVP voting; last year, he finally won the AL MVP. He led the AL in OPS+ his rookie year and leads it this year. He's also transformed himself, adding weight and power in recent years while attempting fewer steals. Hasn't hurt him in the outfield, though, where he is one of the game's best. Plus he has a nickname started by one of our very own forums posters! As a personal note, I really love his swing. Anyway, y'all are privileged to watch this guy play (even if it's for the wrong team).

code:
5.  Mike Trout
6.  Chris Sale
7.  Brandon McCarthy
    Yasiel Puig
9.  Ichiro Suzuki
10. Felix Hernandez
11. Hunter Pence
12. Jose Bautista
13. Buster Posey
14. R.A. Dickey
15. Munenori Kawasaki
16. Mark Buehrle
17. Anthony Rizzo
    Miguel Cabrera
    Nori Aoki
20. Madison Bumgarner
21. Jose Abreu
22. Adam Wainwright
23. Joey Votto
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Bartolo Colon
    Chase Utley
    Brandon Crawford

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Aw yeah, Sale and Trout are amazing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol the best thing about that puig gif is that he didn't even hit it out

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Please post Trout's swing on that Sale change up down and out of the zone for a grand slam.

And *then* Sale smashing bat.gif

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow I thought Mike Trout would be #1. McCutchen, Harper, uhh Kris Bryant or Zack Greinke I guess? Who the gently caress is more popular than Mike Trout? I didn't even vote for him I thought he'd get so many 1 votes.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Should have been one spot lower than Miguel Cabrera IMO

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Rand alPaul posted:

Wow I thought Mike Trout would be #1. McCutchen, Harper, uhh Kris Bryant or Zack Greinke I guess? Who the gently caress is more popular than Mike Trout? I didn't even vote for him I thought he'd get so many 1 votes.

Big Bart maybe? I thought he'd be #1 as well.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Rand alPaul posted:

i'm thinking kershaw, harper, mccutchen, and a-rod

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You guys are either all dumb because you're not putting Giancarlo on your predictions or all dumb because you didn't vote for Giancarlo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm thinking Kershaw, Donaldson, Stanton, and Cutch.

(e: #4-1in that order)

• Locked thread