Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I know that foodies get their share of hate, and a lot of it is justified, especially when they invent constant new trends and allergies and other stuff to make life more complicated for us.

On the other hand, does anyone remember the 1980s?

I remember being a kid in the 1980s and eating baloney sandwiches on white bread. With maybe a slice of American cheese. Or maybe just eating American cheese slices straight. We had two competing brands of peanut butter, Skippy and Jif, and both were loaded with sugar. When I was in elementary school, the fancy kids had Capri-Suns, which (along with Sunny-D) was probably considered a health food because it contained 2% fruit juice. In kindergarten, the teacher told parents to save velveeta boxes for school supplies, because of course every housewife would cook with velveeta. Even at the lower end of the scale, there were two fast food restaurants: McDonalds and Burger King. Pizza hadn't even really become a thing yet. TACO BELL was exotic. And in most towns, or even cities, the most exotic cuisine you could probably find was the local Chinese restaurant. Basically, unless you lived in maybe San Francisco or New York, you were stuck eating the same bland, processed foods forever and thinking that a trip to an All-You-Can-Eat seafood restaurant was fancy.

So as much as we might look down on foodies, go eat a mayonnaise sandwich and tell me the occasional bursts of pretention aren't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lunchables are my poo poo

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0C2om_e19c

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
the gently caress is a "foodie"?

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
thanks for telling us about how you grew up poor op

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

gently caress the Republic. posted:

Someone who likes good food

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

gently caress the Republic. posted:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gnzMfzQOxA

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
if you love food dont eat it just look at it you wouldnt eat a painting

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

that make entirely too much sense.

So i guess the OP isn't a postie, since they obviously hate good posts. :v:

:suicide:
(gently caress YOU)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

When I was growing up I would deconstruct my grilled cheese to be "open face" with salsa on top.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite is porkchops, cooked in an oven until grey and the hunks of fat on the edge are rubbery and tasteless, with zero seasoning.

And anything involving cream of mushroom soup.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.

remember how it used to be impossible to open capri suns and then they changed the material the hole was made out of. we had a lady in our cafeteria whose job it was just to help open capri suns.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sloppy posted:

so a foodie is literally anyone who has an opinion about food? Everyone likes good food

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

logical phalluses posted:

remember how it used to be impossible to open capri suns and then they changed the material the hole was made out of. we had a lady in our cafeteria whose job it was just to help open capri suns.

As someone pointed out, I was too poor to afford Capri-Suns when I was a kid. I just had to look on with jealousy as the other kids had this totally radical idea of juice-lite that came in a bag.

I do remember that the hard core kids would puncture their Capri-Suns in the middle, rather than in the designated puncturing spot, and that was pretty gnarly, back in 1988.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

I know that foodies get their share of hate, and a lot of it is justified, especially when they invent constant new trends and allergies and other stuff to make life more complicated for us.

On the other hand, does anyone remember the 1980s?

I remember being a kid in the 1980s and eating baloney sandwiches on white bread. With maybe a slice of American cheese. Or maybe just eating American cheese slices straight. We had two competing brands of peanut butter, Skippy and Jif, and both were loaded with sugar. When I was in elementary school, the fancy kids had Capri-Suns, which (along with Sunny-D) was probably considered a health food because it contained 2% fruit juice. In kindergarten, the teacher told parents to save velveeta boxes for school supplies, because of course every housewife would cook with velveeta. Even at the lower end of the scale, there were two fast food restaurants: McDonalds and Burger King. Pizza hadn't even really become a thing yet. TACO BELL was exotic. And in most towns, or even cities, the most exotic cuisine you could probably find was the local Chinese restaurant. Basically, unless you lived in maybe San Francisco or New York, you were stuck eating the same bland, processed foods forever and thinking that a trip to an All-You-Can-Eat seafood restaurant was fancy.

So as much as we might look down on foodies, go eat a mayonnaise sandwich and tell me the occasional bursts of pretention aren't worth it.

I was raised in a household with parents that still knew how to cook so I never ate that garbage. I know what you are talking about though because I had a neighbor friend who ate mustard sandwiches (mustard, lettuce and white bread). They were super poor also (we all were) and the mother worked as a lunch lady in a school cafeteria so they also always had the foil pack lunches that were leftover.

This post brought to you by Demonachizer.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 21, 2015

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Pizza was loving huge and my family went to Round Table every week so I don't know what your talking about with that poo poo. But you're basically right American food used to be absolute and utter crap. I remember McDonald's bringing out "Asian" sauces for McNuggets and making a big deal about it. They even gave you chopsticks.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Reagan cheese made the best loving homemade mac & cheese so the OP is clearly full of poo poo.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Reagan cheese made the best loving homemade mac & cheese so the OP is clearly full of poo poo.

If you are talking about the 5 pound bricks of salty yellow government cheese you are 100% correct.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Pizza was loving huge and my family went to Round Table every week so I don't know what your talking about with that poo poo.

What year were you born?

It might have been geographical: like in the New York region, pizza-by-the-slice had been a thing since the 1930s or whenever Italians started crossing into the mainstream. And then pizza came back with soldiers from Italy in the 1940s. But I was born in 1979, and pizza didn't become a thing until I was somewhere in elementary school. Like, that was when Pizza Hut and Dominoes became big chains, and delivery pizza became a standard middle class way to celebrate things.

There was also the "fun" pizza parlors (Chuck E Cheese was one, but there was lots of local types) that you got to go to play video games and that type of thing, but that was a treat.

I also don't remember frozen pizza being real big until 1990 or so. Maybe my memories are off from being poor?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Twitch posted:

And anything involving cream of mushroom soup.

It's actually pretty good if you make it fresh.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so a foodie is literally anyone who has an opinion about food? Everyone likes good food

Exactly (this is why it is a stupid word)

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

What year were you born?

It might have been geographical: like in the New York region, pizza-by-the-slice had been a thing since the 1930s or whenever Italians started crossing into the mainstream. And then pizza came back with soldiers from Italy in the 1940s. But I was born in 1979, and pizza didn't become a thing until I was somewhere in elementary school. Like, that was when Pizza Hut and Dominoes became big chains, and delivery pizza became a standard middle class way to celebrate things.

There was also the "fun" pizza parlors (Chuck E Cheese was one, but there was lots of local types) that you got to go to play video games and that type of thing, but that was a treat.

I also don't remember frozen pizza being real big until 1990 or so. Maybe my memories are off from being poor?

Frozen pizza started being a thing in the 50s I think.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Sloppy posted:

It has an additional connotation, "foodies" are usually going to be some sort of hipster or young professional with a lot of disposable income, and do for food what hipsters have done for music, they like stuff that is obscure.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sloppy posted:

Its just a word for gourmet that hipsters can use?

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

going to dispute that last bit, there are many people well into adulthood who only eat stuff like chicken fingers and fries with little deviation

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Sloppy posted:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Haverchuck posted:

going to dispute that last bit, there are many people well into adulthood who only eat stuff like chicken fingers and fries with little deviation

That doesn't mean they don't like more expensive food too.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

That doesn't mean they don't like more expensive food too.

no thats exactly what that means, they only eat kid food and heave and gag at anything unfamiliar

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

glowing-fish posted:

What year were you born?

I was born in '76. Come to think of it I'm not sure I remember having pizza until I was in the first grade. So '82 or so. And we got it pretty regularly. So maybe California was early cause my family certainly wasn't rich in 1982 .

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only thing you need to do to realize how much better lovely casual dining is today than it was in the past is compare the menus for the two Hulk Hogan themed restaurants.

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Hulk-Hogan-Pastamania-Menu-3.jpg
vs
http://www.hogansbeachtampa.com/_uploaded_files/hogansf_hr-1.pdf

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I was born in '76. Come to think of it I'm not sure I remember having pizza until I was in the first grade. So '82 or so. And we got it pretty regularly. So maybe California was early cause my family certainly wasn't rich in 1982 .

Stuff moves from the coasts in. I remember driving through flyover states to get to Yellowstone and there being maybe one pizza place every few towns or so. Hell, the place where I am from didn't get a delivery capable pizza place until like 2002 or so.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 21, 2015

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I find the history of modern eating legit interesting. What kind of things were on the menu at more upscale restaurants back then?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Haverchuck posted:

no thats exactly what that means, they only eat kid food and heave and gag at anything unfamiliar

Well that's sad. Steak, and spaghetti and meatball are good

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
People who don't live on the coasts should just kill themselves. That sounds loving horrible OP.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Yeah, there was a pizza parlor in our town (that I just remembered now), and I remember going there when I was younger than 5, so before 1984. Not to say there wasn't pizza, but going to that pizza parlor (that was probably just using processed cheese and cheap pepperoni), was like, a big trip. Maybe this is through the eyes of a kid, but there wasn't big pizza chains yet, each pizza parlor was usually independently owned and had its own theme. It was quite a treat to even get cheap pizza! Then around 1985 or so Domino's and Pizza Hut started breaking out to the point where Pizza was the most popular fast food.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I ate nothing but caviar sprinkled with purestrain gold dust sandwiches, on bread freshly made by the household cook, every single day. Didn't do me a bit of harm.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

logical phalluses posted:

You could flip them upside for easier puncturing :eng101:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Goddamn that's a depressing childhood OP. I guess the lesson here is don't live in America if you value your health lol

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Denny's menu from 1983. It doesn't look that different, other than the marked lack of graphic design skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah man, stupid fusion garbage and dumb foodies didn't exist in the 80's.

"Squid ravioli in a lemon grass broth with goat cheese profiteroles.

Arugula Caesar salad.

Swordfish meat loaf with onion marmalade.

Rare roasted partridge breast in raspberry coulis with a sorrel timbale.

Grilled free-range rabbit with herb french fries.

Peanut butter soup with smoked duck and mashed squash (“New York Matinee called it a ‘playful but mysterious little dish.’")

Great sea urchin ceviche.

Pork loin with lime jell-o.

Mud soup and charcoal arugula."

- a book making fun of 80's douches

• Locked thread