Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
do you think its good to be good?
its cool to be good
i am a bad person
View Results

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it is better to be good, instead of bad. you should try to be good in everything you do. everyone makes mistakes but generally you should strive to do the right thing

if you the have the option of doing something for personal benefit, doing something that you know will affect other people badly, then do the good thing. even if its bad for you. its better to be good because good is its own reward

if you do bad things, you might be fine forever and never have serious repercussions for it. look at all the rich people who do bad things who will die wealthy and happy. in spite of this fact, you should still do the right thing and do good

this is my opinion and it does not reflect the views of something awful LLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm the guy that does the thing that is like the third best option

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm the guy who can't even spell good

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TEAYCHES posted:

it is better to be good, instead of bad. you should try to be good in everything you do. everyone makes mistakes but generally you should strive to do the right thing

if you the have the option of doing something for personal benefit, doing something that you know will affect other people badly, then do the good thing. even if its bad for you. its better to be good because good is its own reward

if you do bad things, you might be fine forever and never have serious repercussions for it. look at all the rich people who do bad things who will die wealthy and happy. in spite of this fact, you should still do the right thing and do good

what's your point

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gnarlyhotep posted:

what's your point

its important to have a general social conscience and a base of morality instead of just going through life like some consumer idiot gently caress here to do nothing and just exist for no reason

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Hey OP! Define what is good and what is evil, yo!

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

can't transcend the material plane and achieve supreme enlightenment by acting like a tool, thats for sure

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Hey OP! Define what is good and what is evil, yo!

do unto others as you would have done unto you

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the world os complicated and made up of billions of particles of retarded space molecules bouncing around randomly and as thus framing things in such binary terms as good and bad is at best futile and at worst harmful, sometimes to an unimaginable degree, imo

gottabefrank
Sep 19, 2014

If I work 38 hours a week can I be a consumer gently caress?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TEAYCHES posted:

lol I grew up with people telling me this one, they were mostly assholes

how do I know you're not just another rear end in a top hat

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

never do violence unless its in defense of your own person or in defense of others who cannot defend themselves

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gnarlyhotep posted:

lol I grew up with people telling me this one, they were mostly assholes

how do I know you're not just another rear end in a top hat

im not telling you to do anything, also the golden rule isnt a rule which requires a specific ideology if some assholes imposed it on you im sorry

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

its important to have a general social conscience and a base of morality instead of just going through life like some consumer idiot gently caress here to do nothing and just exist for no reason

ugh morality is like the worst it's 2015 imma gently caress whoever i want

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

I am not disagreeing, I am asking for clarity.

So good is going along with your/another persons ideals and bad is doing something other than your/another's ideals?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

I am not disagreeing, I am asking for clarity.

So good is going along with your/another persons ideals and bad is doing something other that your/another's ideals?

all people need shelter, safety, health and food. these are universal needs. anything beyond that is relative, i guess. but on a base level we all need those things and should work for it

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TEAYCHES posted:

never do violence unless its in defense of your own person or in defense of others who cannot defend themselves

TEAYCHES posted:

im not telling you to do anything, also the golden rule isnt a rule which requires a specific ideology if some assholes imposed it on you im sorry

good luck with this

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gnarlyhotep posted:

good luck with this

thank you, i also hope that humans can come to an agreement on basic assumptions of decency and survival

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TEAYCHES posted:

thank you, i also hope that humans can come to an agreement on basic assumptions of decency and survival

I think you are gonna get nailed to a pair of perpendicular pieces of wood dude.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

This is a "good" thread

I'm not being sarcastic I'm just highlighting the fact that I said good and this thread is about good and bad

I hope I made that clear

Argh
Feb 15, 2005

Matey posted:

This is a "good" thread

I'm not being sarcastic I'm just highlighting the fact that I said good and this thread is about good and bad

I hope I made that clear

could it actually be a "bad" thread, though?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

people should value their relationships with others and always choose the honor of human trust and decency over any other pressures

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TEAYCHES posted:

people should value their relationships with others and always choose the honor of human trust and decency over any other pressures

:roflolmao:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
This is a difficult choice.

"Try to be a good person and live a balanced life" --thousands of years of philosophy and theology

"To care about anything is weakness, check out this video where I set holocaust footage to dubstep" --contemporary Internet addicts

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Argh posted:

could it actually be a "bad" thread, though?

hmmm

interesting

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Agag posted:

This is a difficult choice.

"Try to be a good person and live a balanced life" --thousands of years of philosophy and theology

"To care about anything is weakness, check out this video where I set holocaust footage to dubstep" --contemporary Internet addicts

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hail Satan

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

in some interpretations of satanist philosophy you should do all you can to help out the people around you, and also do the best for yourself; and do good

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
um no thanks instead im going to do what is cool the cool thing to do

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

in some interpretations of satanist philosophy you should do all you can to help out the people around you, and also do the best for yourself; and do good

this is the version with pitchforks and fire and opening holes in reality to let monsters through.

sorry.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ilikedirt posted:

um no thanks instead im going to do what is cool the cool thing to do

which is to be good, am i right

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month

TEAYCHES posted:

lol slave morality. good is defined by the actions of "good people", aka the powerful. Boni Viri, if you will.

also, without lying or cheating society will collapse in like, a day.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

TEAYCHES posted:

yeah but the question remains

why should I give a gently caress about any philosophy at all

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

H.H posted:

lol slave morality. good is defined by the actions of "good people", aka the powerful. Boni Viri, if you will.

also, without lying or cheating society will collapse in like, a day.

its extremely sad that you think societal cohesion equals lies. im not solely talking about actions of good people, im talking about doing decent things to help most people

where are you from?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
praise sagan!!

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

That sounds suspiciously like a philosophy.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

praise sagan!!

I think you mean satan

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

gnarlyhotep posted:

because its a lighthouse in an ocean. where you can stay consistent on important ethical and moral principles

no matter how rough the waves are, you have some measure to be decent and good to others. which should be self evident, i guess, but often is not

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Agag posted:

That sounds suspiciously like a philosophy.

I'll cuck you for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i try to be good

alright goodbye

• Locked thread