Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, puzzles run in the family, I suppose? That's touching, it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I just want to see how all these odd bits of evidence fit together. It's not quite hamster gymnastics but it's fun all the same.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's gotta be the bellboy. Phelps isn't actually his name and she didn't see her killer.

Also his prints aren't on the window, which is kind of a giveaway. He would have had to open the door to get out to her.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure if Alfendi's personality is that much different. If Layton regularly got involved in Phoenix Wright crossovers he'd probably find himself a bit more distant and sarcastic, just from all that clashing against people who killed someone and are desperately trying to hide it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
They're certainly making Alfendi a character.

I don't know what Professor Layton's food situation would actually be, come to think of it. He didn't really live in an era of takeaways.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Everybody involved here is a little dodgy. The towel seems to have been used to shield whoever killed Potsby from the blood splatter, which could be the wife in the towel or the security guard in his clean white uniform.

However, only one of those people could have known there was a burglar on the premises to pin it on. My initial guess is the security guard and a crime of passion.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tax Refund posted:

I think they're hinting at the murder weapon being a bundle of uncooked spaghetti, which was then boiled to remove any trace of blood from it. Which makes no sense -- uncooked spaghetti would be brittle and would shatter before you could stab someone with it, even if it was rolled up in a bundle -- but that would explain the pasta boiling in a pot, in an apartment where they ate nothing but take-out.

Maybe it was frozen into a knife or something?

Wait, ice is also kind of poo poo as a stab delivery vehicle too, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, this Jekyll-and-Hyde moment has me interested all of a sudden. It makes me wonder, like, if Alfendi wanted to become a better policeman by really understanding criminals. I mean, REALLY understanding them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've got no clue what's actually going on here but this is a pretty neat collection of evidence to build from. Can't wait for all the conversations with the showbiz people.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kegluneq posted:

Probably quite likely - guns firing blanks are very similar to real ones. It might feel different to fire, though. Maybe he realised he'd been duped at that point?

I could see how that would explain things easily enough. Dude's panicked and pinning it on the first patsy he can think of.

...man, what if this is really just a tragic accident? Covered up like it's a murder, of course, but wouldn't that be a twist?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, Layton does say Strapping's likely to have something up his sleeve. I imagine this is where he reveals his Queen's Gambit Declined or whatever.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, three missions in and they're already playing with the UI conventions. Well done, game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, Alfiendi doesn't have a different portrait in the cut-ins? I suppose this deduction is bringing him back to normal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh, gently caress you, game.

That's what you get for using a hint on that clue, right? I'd say it's a pretty good hint, myself!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'd put the blame on Micah here, to start. He'd know more about that cabin than anyone, certainly enough to rig up all of this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It would be neat if Chico held his masks right where the masked heart is.

Or maybe spooky.

Either way, he seems way too blase about that axe to have used it to kill someone.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think we should start by introducing that crossbeam with the ligature marks on it. That definitely suggests a show was being put on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a little weird that every case so far has been some sort of frame job.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, he outright admitted to killing him... and they just let him go?

:psyduck:

I mean, I don't believe it was him (or at least him alone), but come on.

"Yes, I did it! I got really drunk, then I heard a demon telling me to kill him, so I walked through the walls and stuck an axe in his skull!"

Even if Chico had the intent to commit the crime, and even if he confesses to acting on that intent, it still has to be proved he had the means to do so.

It's like believing you can kill someone if you scribble over their face in a photo with green marker, and then turning yourself in for murder on that basis.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What was Alfiendi going for here? Trying to notch a kill in self-defense?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Safe journeys.

As for the case, I suppose it only makes sense that the mastermind would skip town. After all, we didn't get enough evidence to turn Chico into a double agent.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I... hmm.

Man, I almost want to believe this is a DJ prank gone wrong. That handkerchief must mean something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god, was this all a stunt to him? He hid the antidote in his wig and didn't practice right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Another dead body at the station? Where were they hiding that one?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are we... going to get a second crime scene simulation for how the tea lady died? Or are we somehow going to sleuth that one out through examining this scene?

I can never quite tell where this game is going.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

I still think he did it to draw out a killer; the question is how does the tea lady fit in.

The tea lady sent the Angel O. Death fax, right?

I mean, my first instinct is that she was in on the prank but someone else poisoned the tea and killed her.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it's got to have been someone who worked for the station and knew there was a prank and the other station employees wouldn't react.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this guy's a real piece of work. I guess we just needed Hollerday's testimony to punch holes in this one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

HydroSphere posted:

Feelings?

What, like, 'Oh balderdash, I'm dying!' you mean?

Man, wouldn't those be horrid last words?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting that Sassina's dying reactions just happened to turn this into a locked-room mystery.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, now I see why Lucy's been so keen to continue with all this.

Someone who loves sandwiches so much can't bear to live in a world where a sandwich was accessory to a crime.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tax Refund posted:

Well, that last note gives the final clue needed for the animal goblets:

The order is dog/bull/pig/rhino, then the fire will go out in the fireplace and that will be the entrance to the secret room.

If you don't want us to post the solutions we come up with to the puzzles, let me know and I'll edit that out, of course.

Okay, I can buy clever clockwork for everything else, but how is this going to work?

Chemical residues?

Eh, the Layton series has always had a very open relationship with conventional physics.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, if that tiny hat was any jauntier she'd need hair extensions just to hang it out there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do appreciate that the Prof is willing to leave this to the proper arresting authorities, such as they are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"We've got to stick together!"

"Right! I'll go on ahead!'

Classic rookie mistake from the classic rookie.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...all of this seems more like some elaborate hazing ritual. Or maybe Diane really wanted Layton to work through her puzzle castle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

inflatablefish posted:

Hmmm.
We know that Pig never left the room, so unless Dog and Donkey are in it together (and assuming Pig wasn't into playing hide-and-seek) then he must have been dead before Donkey arrived. So Donkey didn't do it.
He was killed by being hit on the back of the head with the ashtray, then I think the body was hidden under the desk while Donkey was in there. But we saw Pig throw Cat out, so she didn't do it either.

I think that Dog killed him, hid the body while Donkey was there (presumably Pig's paperwork also showed Donkey's appointment), then on the pretext of getting his bag moved the body to the sofa.
Hen found the body, but decided to steal the cash in his wallet rather than alert people to the murder. (Why this takes 17 minutes is beyond me.)

This seems about right.

Well, that or Cat's got the strength borne of madness and left Pig dead and hanging up inside his coat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, it's not this simple. Lucy's got a long way to go before she's a proper detective.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If we're going with "who killed Pig" as a prompt I'd probably say Cat. Donkey and Dog both agree that they never even saw Pig, and Dog's only alone with Pig after Donkey has a smoke in the murder weapon.

But who does Lucy THINK killed Pig at this point? That, I can't tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, well done in the end Lucy. I figured Pig had got stuffed in his own coat at some point.

• Locked thread