Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This looks pretty good. The main drawback of the Layton games for me was that the story wasn't compelling enough for me to put up with all the frustrating puzzles. This seems both more intuitive and more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, pineapple and smoked salmon sound like they'd go pretty well together. That being said, it's an utterly ridiculous clue - something an obsessive crime fiction reader would set up to throw the police off trail. Bellboy it is.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Pickles to the rescue! This is one charming whodunit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That window looks smashed from the outside to me. Pre-emptively suspecting the guard guy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"Double-barreled bimbo" is a pretty great insult, to be honest. It's looking really bad for the wife, here's hoping for a turnaround that pins it on the guard. I love being retroactively right.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a very charming game but so far I'm rather disappointed by them going for the really obvious solutions. Well, the clock aside.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Or it is the weapon and she cleared it using boiled water.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The arrows continue being the best character. What's up with Hydefendi, though?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can we tell which one of the shots killed her? Because if it was the first one, why fire another? And what happened to the bullet? (Can we tell if one of the shots was the replica?)
The switch seems to be the key to the case - why didn't she have it?

On a first glance, my money's on Destiny - all three can have motives that the note would explain, but she was in the position to slip the note on her body and take and throw out the switch - for whatever reason.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I like that Lucy's response to all this is "If he doesn't cut that creepy poo poo out, I'm gonna beat him up!"
Just look into those psychotic, bloodshot eyes. Lucy is easily the scariest character.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else but Mariana hear the phone? Because that's suspicious as hell.
Anyway, most of my ideas were already mentioned - corpse being moved by wires, the screw coming from the door - but another thing that makes me suspect Mariana is the axe coming from outside; the others should've known one of the boxes is full of perfectly serviceable weapons so they wouldn't need to bring one.

edit: Although that could indict Micah too... Hmm... I still think the timing of the call is crucial so Mariana is at least an accomplice.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 30, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're probably in it together - I'd say he killed him and she came up with the cover-up.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 10, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Realistic cases tend to be simple and don't unfold in very interesting ways. Unless you're Raymond Chandler or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention the name.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What, you don't know the interrogation technique of "good cop, cartoonishly evil cop"?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think any person in the room could have slipped the poison into the tea with two people watching so I'm pretty suspicious of the guys behind the glass. I wouldn't put too much faith into the sound output either, that's the one thing you can fake with the right equipment and records.
The handkerchief looks suspicious as hell... As does the wig. Why does a radio host have a visual gimmick?
Of course, someone could have switched the cups but if that was the point of the "surprise", why would he write it down? It seems obvious that was intended to be found after the death.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, if he had one wig, he could've easily used another and pull off the tea lady act.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

This might be a little off-topic, but do people really dunk cookies into tea?
Cookies, yeah, but dunking a macaroon is a crime. Then again, it's England and they add milk to tea, so clearly there's no culinary horror they aren't capable of.
You know, were this a book whodunit I'd be almost certain at this point that he was trying to fake his death in order to draw out someone responsible for a past crime and that someone panicked and turned the fake death into a real one, but this game doesn't really do motivations.

We can be fairly sure the body was tampered with after the death and before we came in - the wig should prove that. Here's the thing: if he was trying to stage the death, that means he had an accomplice since someone from the studio sent the fax. The most likely case seems to be the tea lady on account of being, well, dead. Provided she didn't off herself from remorse or somesuch.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 26, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SystemLogoff posted:

PS: Tea with milk and no sugar is great. :colbert:
You. Me. Pistols at dawn.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So the way I see it is there had to be a moment when no one was looking into the studio because Dread had to get up and drink the tea, an attitude generally not present in corpses. This makes me wonder about just what the hell were they were all busy doing; especially since there was a huge window to the next room where presumably at least the sound crew would have been.
I still think he did it to draw out a killer; the question is how does the tea lady fit in.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh, is it just me or are the additional statements not there?

Anyway, the poison container is suspicious; at this point, I'd almost suspect it was something completely innocuous she added into the coffee - do they get milk or sugar in glass containers in Britain? Sugar seems to be more likely since we know both victims had a sweet tooth.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 5, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still maintain the info darts are the best character. Y-o-u-k-n-o-w is the new favorite.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

I hope it closes with a Poirot finisher.

"And finally, we know it was you because your fingerprints were found on the poison bottle."
"That's impossible! I wore--"
"You wore gloves, monsieur."
Well, he already hosed up with the perfume bottle.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Self-destruct! Bam! Dig your own grave!

I love the info darts.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking Keelan is where the game's title comes into play.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still think the game's name has to come into play somewhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to think of it as the long shadow of the fiendish doctor Fu Manchu reaching across time and space.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Secret passage? Helicopter? Suction cups?
Or just someone who she didn't consider a threat?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
:f5:
Seriously.
Still, I think we're kinda ignoring the bomb Al dropped with the whole "Justin and Makepeace were working together" statement.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

...it's the ivy, isn't it.
Seems the really obvious way, doesn't it? You could even get from one tower to the other over it. You'd be conspicuous as hell but if the two guys were in a Mexican standoff, they probably weren't paying attention to their surroundings.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I bope he gets a sufficiently enigmatic epitaph.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of some shenanigans with putting the mystery photo behind one of the slit windows to mask a room from the outside, but since we don't even get what's supposed to be on that picture that doesn't seem likely.

Glazius posted:

The ivy does seem significant, but it seems like the only way "out" to it is through those arrow slits, which if not impractical for everyone are certainly impractical for Justin.
If the models on the layout we're given are accurate in size, it looks like it'd be possible to get to the ivy from the merlons on either tower.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that's one way to cure dissociative identity disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a sequel hook more than anything, really. Or they ran out of time/money.
Good game throghout, wet fart of an ending.

• Locked thread