Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Fun new SyFy show about a trio of bounty hunters (Killjoys) in space. Below should clear up any questions you have (ripped from SyFy's website):

Main Cast posted:

Dutch

quote:

A gorgeous, complicated and deadly flirt, Dutch is bold and fun loving on the surface. She has a unique gift for earning people's trust and respect regardless of their class. But under her banter and protective flirtations, there is pain, maturity, and a deep solemnity. As close friends as she is with John when we first meet them, she has always withheld a part of herself, a history of which she is deeply ashamed…

John Jaqobis

quote:

John is dyslexic with learning and reading disabilities and was labeled as “stupid” all of his life. He is not. Decisively. Give this man any mech, any tech, and he can fix-it-build-it-fly it. Just don’t ask him to read the instructions. Or to believe that he’s actually intelligent. OK yeah, John has some self-esteem issues but one thing he's completely sure of is his devotion to his fellow teammates.

D'avin

quote:

D'avin is many things – handsome, uber masculine, sarcastic, incredibly loyal – but he is one thing above all: a born soldier. He dreamed of enlisting since boyhood, and his hard-won expertise in tactics, maneuvers and hand-to-hand combat make him an instant asset to the Killjoy team.

Pawter Simms

quote:

Pawter comes from one of the Nine, the elite families that hold all the power in the Quad. Despite being raised in privilege, Pawter is anything but a princess. An ex-drug addict with a medical degree, Pawter dedicates her life to helping those who have been oppressed by the tyrannical rule of The Company. Her upbringing bought her the best education and taught her how to deal with the cruelty of the ruling elite. Brains & political savvy are a dangerous combination.

Recurring Cast posted:

Khylen

quote:

Khlyen is a Level 6 RAC Agent who works out of the RAC Office of Interstellar Expansion.

Khlyen began to tutor Dutch when she was 8 years old, while she was being raised in a royal harem. He told her that he was sent there by her father, of the House of Yardeen. He trained her as an assassin and covert operative, teaching her unarmed combat and weapon skills as well as intelligence and interrogation techniques. During these training years, ge became somewhat of a surrogate father for her.

Turin

quote:

Turin is a senior officer of the RAC. He is a liaison with the Company, and briefs Reclamation Agents on high level warrants or deals with them in disciplinary matters.

Alvis Akari

quote:

Also known as Alvis the Penitent, he grew up as a tunnel rat in the mine access tunnels beneath Old Town on Westerley, later becoming a miner before joining the Scarback Monks. He is a member of the Scarbacks and a resistance fighter in the rebellion against The Company. He resides in Old Town where he sometimes acts as a confidential informant for Dutch.

Delle Seyah Kendry

quote:

Delle Seyah Kendry is one of the leading members of Land Kendry, one of the Nine families on Qresh. She is deeply embroiled in the politics of the Nine and their control of the Company and the Quad. Her family is allied with Land Simms and Land Derrish, and rivals with the Land Hyponia family

Fancy Lee

quote:

One of the RAC’s best Reclamation Agents in the Quad, he is a Level 5 6 Killjoy. Fancy Lee designs and builds various tools and weapons to help him track and collect his warrants, including bloodhound trackers and homing darts and poisoned blade launchers.

quote:

What’s great about science fiction is the rich mythology that takes you into a completely different, new, and exciting world. Killjoys, which premieres June 19 at 9/8c if you haven’t already set your DVR, has more world-building than Minecraft and Roller Coaster Tycoon combined. Don’t worry, the rollercoasters are along for the ride, except they’re of the emotional and action-based variety.

To help you gear up for the premiere, we’ve already put together some handy character bios to introduce you to the adventurous young heroes of Killjoys. If you haven’t already seen them, take the time to Meet Dutch, Johnny, and D’Avin. Bad-rear end! Now let’s take a stroll down Main Street.

Some time in the future in a galaxy far, far away. . .

The Quad

The Quad consists of 1 dwarf planet and its 3 moons. 1+3=4=Quad. Makes sense. It’s part of a solar system that's part of a massive star cluster known as "The J," which itself has tons of inhabited planets and moons. The quad is composed of an intricate caste system that correlates to the limited desirable real estate . . .

Qresh

Qresh is at the top of the caste, where the elite artists, politicians, scientists, inventors, business class and philosophers make their homes. Like Earth, Qresh was once the only world supporting life in her solar system. Over time, her population grew and thrived, until the environmental weight of her citizens began to outstrip the dwarf planet’s resources and damage her ecosystem. (Sound familiar?)

Soon scientists and politicians of Qresh began looking beyond their borders for places to dump their trash and mine their resources. But, instead of looking to the oceans as we are currently doing on Earth, “The Company” -- the monolithic, powerful corporation inextricably linked with the politicians and ruling families on Qresh -- looked to the skies. Specifically, to their largest satellite moon. Cue nod to our next Quad moon…

Westerley

For a while, The Company made Westerley their geo-resource bitch, taking what they wanted and leaving what they didn’t, building an expanding population of workers along the way. But one problem still remained:

Qresh still needed a place for its population sprawl to expand to, but Westerley was becoming a cesspool of vice and environmental damage. Thanks to the Company’s hard usage, Westerley quickly became a dark, sooty, industrial hellhole, replete with sex workers, killers, gamblers and religious fanatics. Life on Westerley is never easy, but never boring. Westerley should be noted as the home base for our main characters.

Leith

Leith was colonized next, to provide homes and resources for those not highborn or connected enough to remain on Qresh, but who demanded a “better” life that what Westerley could provide. Many of the people who settled here are distant relations of "The Nine" (the families that control the Company). So, while they may not be rich themselves (think distant relatives of the royal family), they take a certain pride in their heritage.

As the closest moon to Qresh, many here also have respectable jobs (mostly farming, the merchant class and import/export businesses). If those on Westerley dream of life on Leith, those on Leith dream of life on Qresh - but are usually too humble to admit such things. You see, the cultural values on Leith differ than the rest of the Quad - peace and respectability are the status quo here, with more illicit activities like sex work and drugs being totally illegal.

Arkyn

The smallest of Qresh’s moons by far, Arkyn was the first moon the Company attempted to colonize - but things went horribly wrong. Much is whispered about Arkyn, but little is actually known.

Class & Politics

Citizenship of Qresh and its lunar colonies is on a sliding scale of accessibility. Westerley is the entry point for many from across "The J" (remember, "The J" is the massive star cluster that Westerley - the entire Quad, really - is part of); all that is required is a willingness to work . . .

It helps that the Company always dangles the hope for new immigrants that, over time, there is the potential to buy oneself into Leith society, becoming part of their merchant class. Or, by some extreme act, into Qresh itself. This is the Quad’s version of the American Dream.

But everyone knows the latter scenario is all but myth: Qresh is the most difficult to attain residency on, and much of it by now is hereditary. Land rights are serious, deadly business on Qresh, as is reputation. For those old, once powerful families who are teetering on hard times or social scandal, losing status is a tangible and terrifying thing.

The Company

“The Company” is a massive corporation that operates within the Quad and remains shrouded in mystery. It does own Westerley outright. While it is often hard to know where the Company ends and local Government begins, technically lethal warrants are to be underwritten by Government officials only. Warrants you say? Who is accepting these contracts?

The RAC

The Recovery and Apprehension Coalition (R.A.C) -- aka “The Rack” -- is the fully independent organization that licenses, governs, and disciplines Killjoys. It has its fingers in the political pies of various worlds throughout the galaxy, and yet stands apart from all of them, its own little island of power and dangerous secrets.

This begs the very important, nay essential, bit of information. What is a Killjoy?

Killjoys

Killjoys are multidisciplinary professionals who are licensed to pursue specific types of Warrants throughout the galaxy. The have broad authority within the narrow window of Warrant Enforcement, but no power (or interest, really) in local laws.

While often a rough and tumble, highly competitive lot, these are no wild-west gunslingers: killjoying is a regulated occupation, with specific rules and harsh consequences for breaking them. (FYI, Killjoy comes from the combination of "joy," a slang word for money and kill, because, well, sometimes they kill. So "kill for joy").

Killjoys themselves have only one rule: “The Warrant is All”.

Let’s learn more about these so called “Warrants”

I. Reclamation – Retrieving lost/stolen goods

II. Transfer – When a person needs to be moved between hostile areas, Killjoys are often hired as disinterested third parties. These are typically either bodyguarding or prisoner transport mission.

III. Live Warrents – Apprehensions; target must be brought back alive.

IV. Living or Dead (“L.O.D”) – Target is expendable, dangerous and likely to resist. Killjoys are licensed to use lethal force at their discretion.

V. Death Warrents – Sanctioned assassinations. Also called Kill Warrants.

Warrants range in difficulty and danger from your typical stolen necklace retrieval job to sanctioned assasinations or Kill Warrants. Not every Killjoy can pursue every Warrant. They have to prove themselves and rise in rank, much like our military. A Killjoy must have achieved a rank equal to or above that of the Warrant they intend to chase. Therefore, a brand new Level I Killjoy can only take on Reclamation jobs; Level IV Killjoys can take on any Warrant up to and including L.O.D work.

***Missed an Episode***? They're all available on SyFy's website here: http://www.syfy.com/killjoys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8rLnjMqi78
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35AxXgU4Y8g

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Fun pilot. Reminiscent of Firefly a bit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Didn't feel too strongly one way or the other. I'll give it a few more eps.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I liked it. The amount of exposition was insane, but that's to be expected. Definitely going to keep watching.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
This is really goddamn fun. Not original in any way, but there's nothing new under the sun, and I'll take a well executed but unambitious science fiction show over a more ambitious one that can't even nail down the basic aspects for decent TV any day of the week.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked it even though from a production point view you can really tell it's a SyFy production.

The setting feels like a weird mix of firefly combined with a corporate run future found in cyberpunk settings.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I'm liking this show much more than Dark Matter - it plays to it's strengths and isn't out of it's league. It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Getting a real Firefly vibe like others.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I enjoyed the pilot. The bits where it seems to be shaping up into "Dutch and D'avin hook up and John is a terrible third wheel"... I hope they do well instead of soapy and cringy.

Definitely plan on watching more of this.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm wondering what's in the red box that Dutch got from her MurderDad. I hope it's a DVD of Gravity that he wants her to return to a Redbox.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Still watching the episode, but almost the first thing that hit me when it started was that the bounty hunter guy was cast because he resembles Chris Pratt, huh.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

WarLocke posted:

Still watching the episode, but almost the first thing that hit me when it started was that the bounty hunter guy was cast because he resembles Chris Pratt, huh.

No I'm pretty sure it was because Syfy already had Aaron Ashmore's number on file

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Okay, yeah, that was a much stronger start than Dark Matter. I'm in, I want to see what's up with Not-Chris-Pratt, Big Soldier Brother, and Mysterious Assassin Lady.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Definitely made me think of Firefly crossed with Lost Girl. Which is the sort of cheesy Syfy (well, SciFi) show I loved 10-15 years back. Nice summer evening watching.

Jon Do posted:

I enjoyed the pilot. The bits where it seems to be shaping up into "Dutch and D'avin hook up and John is a terrible third wheel"... I hope they do well instead of soapy and cringy.

It seems like they're making John be a purely platonic friend which I hope they stick to. Although I think it's funny that the actor who plays D'avin is actually gay and he's the male lead getting all the sexual tension with Dutch.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Definitely made me think of Firefly crossed with Lost Girl. Which is the sort of cheesy Syfy (well, SciFi) show I loved 10-15 years back. Nice summer evening watching.

It seems like they're making John be a purely platonic friend which I hope they stick to. Although I think it's funny that the actor who plays D'avin is actually gay and he's the male lead getting all the sexual tension with Dutch.

actually SyFy is spearheading incestuous homosexual relationships. get ready for the ride

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

actually SyFy is spearheading incestuous homosexual relationships. get ready for the ride

Wincest! In the Future!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was pretty lovely, the lead actress is just terrible in every scene. I'm gonna give it three eps to hook me though.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How Cowboy Bebop is this?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Rhyno posted:

This was pretty lovely, the lead actress is just terrible in every scene. I'm gonna give it three eps to hook me though.

I felt this was a lot stronger than Dark Matter. :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WarLocke posted:

I felt this was a lot stronger than Dark Matter. :shrug:

Which was also kind of crappy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's not Cowboy Bebop/10

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dr_Amazing posted:

I would give it 5/10 CB's. It has a few similar themes but I didn't even notice until you asked that question

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Rhyno posted:

I felt Hannah John-Kamen was pretty good. I actually got mixed impressions from Luke McFarlane, but that could just be issues with his character.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

DarklyDreaming posted:

I would give it 5/10 CB's. It has a few similar themes but I didn't even notice until you asked that question

I hear "space bounty hunters with a wacky job title" and I think Cowboy Bebop.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm not sure about any of the main cast apart from Aaron Ashmore (Warehouse 13 love), but I'm intrigued by the setting.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I liked the female lead but her characterization was completely all over the place and it took me out of a show which had a poo poo budget and some tired looking visuals working against it to begin with. I'm going to give it a try for awhile but if this wasn't the summer I can't see how it would last a month.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Dead Snoopy posted:

I liked the female lead but her characterization was completely all over the place and it took me out of a show which had a poo poo budget and some tired looking visuals working against it to begin with. I'm going to give it a try for awhile but if this wasn't the summer I can't see how it would last a month.
How so?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Exactly. Dutch seemed to be a pretty by-the-numbers example of the Tough but Caring Partner/Boss with a Secret. Killjoys is clearly not a game-changer, but it's a pretty decent game-operator. I'm interested in John, Dutch and their universe, which a hell of a lot more than I can say about Dark Matter, which lost my interest after twenty minutes.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

I felt that when she was conferring w/ her colleague/friend about the kill order she came across like a panicked amateur. When she was off planet, in disguise she was a lethal bad-rear end who had tremendous poise. She teetered from being weak while poisoned (understandable) to slick while saving her colleagues, despite overcoming her setback.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dead Snoopy posted:

I felt that when she was conferring w/ her colleague/friend about the kill order she came across like a panicked amateur. When she was off planet, in disguise she was a lethal bad-rear end who had tremendous poise. She teetered from being weak while poisoned (understandable) to slick while saving her colleagues, despite overcoming her setback.

I didn't think her fear about the kill order was about her so much as it was about conveying the problem. Like "Holy fuckballs, if Dutch is that spooked, they're all in the very deepest of poo poo."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Some classic overthinking heading this way....

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

johntfs posted:

I didn't think her fear about the kill order was about her so much as it was about conveying the problem. Like "Holy fuckballs, if Dutch is that spooked, they're all in the very deepest of poo poo."
Well it was a bit of an outside context problem even for her (trying to keep a Level 5 target alive instead of killing him).

I'm not sure what chat with the broker Snoopy is talking about, but the first one was more her being worried for John (who did a very dumb thing) rather than personal weakness on her part.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Beheading executives, now that's an idea I can get behind.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This is no Starhunter but I'll watch a few more episodes and see if the writers and actors can settle in and create more compelling narratives.

It seemed really dark to me, like they're embarrassed about set design and kept the lighting low in every scene.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
It's pretty dark, period (as in, we'll give this poor guy an emotional beat before cutting him apart to get to a package lodged in his guy.

I'm really liking the core trio (plus Lucy). Good chemistry and just the right amount of humor and tension.

That's a helluva conversation starter, Dutch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Much better ep than the pilot. I do hope they resolve the PTSD flashbacks soon or it could be real annoying.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If they had Sigourney Weaver be the voice of the ship, I could pretend it's Noir Futurama.

Also, this show is fun, but they must be operating with a really small budget. When they first got to the terrifying missile which "burns with the heat of the sun" I though it was a grapnel launcher or something. It did not look dangerous at all.

Oh no, they have the missile codes! Missile is size of child's toy.

I'm willing to accept destructive tech in the future is much more advanced, but they could have at least made it bigger than the shoulder mounted missile launcher which made them crash in the first place.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 28, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For some reason the biggest thing that bothers me about this show is that the ship looks way too small for 3 people to live on.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Thought I recognized that Killjoy recruiter. She was the android in Jason X:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Decent episode. Looks like that doctor is joining the cast as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Xandu posted:

Decent episode. Looks like that doctor is joining the cast as well.

I liked her a lot, but she looks just enough like Joanne Kelly to confuse my brain whenever she first appeared in a scene.

• Locked thread