Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Also, the hostage-taker guy, I think the knife he uses is on mass drop. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

spookygonk posted:

The thing I have most trouble with is the lyrics to the "theme song", I can't understand what the woman vocalist is saying. Me and my other half just mumble along to it.

edit everything else is fine.

According to my tv's closed captioning, these are the lyrics:

quote:

come come come uninvited
run run run til I find ya
I don't care which side that your fighting
Gonna get you gone

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm level 6 :aaaaa:

Also goddamn the plot is moving fast. But I guess that is expected since the finale is next week.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm level 6 :aaaaa:

Also goddamn the plot is moving fast. But I guess that is expected since the finale is next week.

Dutch's dad hired Klyhen to train her to succeed him and take revenge on the other families is my guess. Either that or the whole upper echelon of the RAC is against Qreshi families.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

Dutch's dad hired Klyhen to train her to succeed him and take revenge on the other families is my guess. Either that or the whole upper echelon of the RAC is against Qreshi families.

It seemed pretty personal. Isn't the RAC also much, much bigger than the Company?

The Company/Qreshi Nine only operate in this solar system but the RAC are everywhere in the galaxy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The RAC seems like it's the Weyland-Yutani of this particular universe.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

We don't really know all that much about life outside the Quad, other than it exists and doesn't seem all that different since John and D'Avin grew up outside of there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So what's level 6? Did I miss something?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
It was just "I'm level 6" <mic drop> roll credits.

Presumably we'll find out later. And it's probably some god-like level of authority since level 5 is a license to kill.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There was some talk earlier in the season about Killjoy Level 6 (Dutch is Level 5), which most believe to be a myth. Khlyen claims to be Level 6.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

As above - we don't know anything other than there are myths about it and Kline says he's one. My guess is it's just what they're already doing, but on a governmental/quad scale. loving around with killing and stealing and other stuff at the system level rather than at the planetary level.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Party Plane Jones posted:

At least the reveal wasn't. "I am your father."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spookygonk posted:

At least the reveal wasn't. "I am your father."

I was so sure it was going there and I'm so glad it didn't. But the door is still open for it.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I am expecting Dutch's training and enrolled as a Level 5 Killjoy without going through 1-4 first to be a prelude to her being the next level 6.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is this is all Johnny's fault.

Khlyen said he resurfaced because Dutch took a Level 5 warrant which was his signal that she was ready. However, Johnny took the Level 5 warrant on Dutch's behalf to save D'Avin.

The real question is, are these related? Was the kill warrant put on D'Avin to force Johnny to act (involving Dutch in a kill warrant) which would flush out Khlyen?

Edit:

There were also some real nice character moments in this. I liked Dutch's hesitation for stating a reason why they were at the RAC, she couldn't bring herself to say they were splitting the team up even if it was just to get them in there.

D'Avin was taking a lot of personal risks to win trust back with the team as well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 17, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought the kill warrant was unrelated, it was just supposed to stop D'Avin because he was getting too close to the doc who experimented on him.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

muscles like this? posted:

I thought the kill warrant was unrelated, it was just supposed to stop D'Avin because he was getting too close to the doc who experimented on him.

That's all we know for now, but I can't imagine that D'Avin's story isn't related somehow. The nugget that Khlyne dropped about Dutch taking up a kill warrant as a signal that she was ready is too blatant to ignore. Dr. Jeager was a pawn in this as much as anyone and it may be that the Company agreed to put the kill warrant on D'Avin because it served their own purposes to flush out Khlyne and Red 17.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Really thought that the level 6/Red 17 poo poo was all just minor world building. Probably shoulda seen this coming.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Really thought that the level 6/Red 17 poo poo was all just minor world building. Probably shoulda seen this coming.

Yeah I missed Red 17 being a big deal, but "please, Level 6 is a myth" == "we will find out what Level 6 is in the season finale".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any reason this show is only getting 10 episodes instead of 13?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any reason this show is only getting 10 episodes instead of 13?

IIRC both this show and Dark Matter only had 10 episode orders. Syfy is throwing cheap poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. Defiance gets a full 13 since it's an established show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dark Matter has 13 episodes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bull3964 posted:

Dark Matter has 13 episodes.

Really? That sucks. I like this show better.

edit: Maybe because Killjoys is a brand new IP, and Dark Matter is based on an existing comic book.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kesper North posted:

Really? That sucks. I like this show better.

edit: Maybe because Killjoys is a brand new IP, and Dark Matter is based on an existing comic book.

No, Killjoys is just better written and more interesting. I like Dark Matter too, but its a guilty pleasure.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blackchamber posted:

No, Killjoys is just better written and more interesting. I like Dark Matter too, but its a guilty pleasure.

You misunderstand. I was proposing the fact that it was an existing IP as the reason why Dark Matter got a 13-episode order and Killjoys, an original IP, got only 10.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I didn't even know people wanted to make original IP genre stuff anymore. I thought it was just adaptations all the way down.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sober posted:

I didn't even know people wanted to make original IP genre stuff anymore. I thought it was just adaptations all the way down.

I know, right? :smith:

There are a few gems. Continuum, which we sadly lose this fall. Defiance has actually got good. I was about to suggest Penny Dreadful, but that's just a really good adaptation of several 150-year-old IPs...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kesper North posted:

You misunderstand. I was proposing the fact that it was an existing IP as the reason why Dark Matter got a 13-episode order and Killjoys, an original IP, got only 10.

and thats why you like Killjoys more? I thought you were saying it sucks that killjoys season wasnt longer because you liked it better, which is where I was chiming in... that it is better.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Canadian network Space and American network SyFy co-produce both shows, but Space runs point on Killjoys and SyFy on Dark Matter.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So Killjoys will probably be renewed while DM is anyone's guess.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Thats my hope. God knows I want to like Dark Matter but it just isn't doing it for me.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Thats my hope. God knows I want to like Dark Matter but it just isn't doing it for me.

For me the point where decided against Dark Matter came in the ads it ran after the first episode. They'd end with Jodelle Ferland declaring "Because we're dangerous!" It's such a tell vs show moment.

Killjoys showed me that John and Dutch were tough, smart, competent, dangerous people during its opening scene. Dutch is kind of scary because she looks like she's only playing tough. I could easily see her slipping into a criminal's party disguised as a stripper "RAC agent," saying something like "In the name of the RAC," shakes her boobs, "You are locked and served..." wink and sexy voice. At which point she playfully cuffs him and pulls him into another room. Then he's halfway to Westerly prison before he realizes that sexy fun times are not in the cars. Until he meets his new cellmate, anyway.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blackchamber posted:

and thats why you like Killjoys more? I thought you were saying it sucks that killjoys season wasnt longer because you liked it better, which is where I was chiming in... that it is better.

I'm literally retarded and was replying to the wrong person. Sorry!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show had few rough moments early on but the last few episodes have been really good. I'm sad if this doesn't get picked up for another season.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drat, he's a ninja :ninja:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Despite the obvious budget constraints and the atrocious sets that often totally kill my immersion ...This show has me more hooked than any space sci-fi since Galactica/Firefly. It isn't great but I feel it's the best we've had in ages.

Continuum of course is a better show but the setting is a bit different. I can't stand Dark Matter.

Defiance and its first season at least is too grounded - literally - and kind of wacky for me to to enjoy it

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Defiance gets way better in the second season and gets amazing (and dark) in its third.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:rip: Davin

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Well, that was a hell of an ending, alright. I thought the inclusion of more of that original language was interesting, and it was nice that it was pretty clear what they were saying just through context. I wonder if it gets renewed, they're planning to take a page from Dominion's book and take advantage of David J Peterson's SyFy contracts to flesh that out for the second season.

(That was an original language, right? It could absolutely have been an actual one without me realizing, but considering they ditched the alphabet for geometric shapes, dots, and dashes after the first episode, I'm making assumptions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I am bad at watching TV but the finale confused the hell out of me and I don't think I have time to watch it again.

As I understand it, the lower classes who live on Westerly had a deal with the upper classes on Qresh that they could move to the middle class if they served them for seven generations. Seven generations later, Westerly wants to take it's place but the guys on Leith (the middle class) and some of the Qreshian families aren't happy about it. They put the thing to a vote instead of honouring the agreement which is why the riots start. I think that episode in the woods with the DNA bomb was a bunch of Leith guys worried about their lands getting stolen or something?

Anyway Dutch and Johnny get sent to Qresh to protect the deal going down but it's really Khlyen trying to protect them from the bombing of Westerly.

To summarize, at the end,
  • We discover that the RAC aren't neutral at all and helped staged the coup,
  • Red 117 is in the Quad and it's where the RAC upgrades guys to Level 6. Presumably the military and other parties are trying to look for it which is where that torture AI came in.
  • Level 6 involves genetic upgrades to the point where you're near invincible. Khlyen didn't die or even bleed from being stabbed multiple times and the other level 6 survived a needle to the eye.
  • The Doctor is literally a princess and probably one of the only surviving members of royalty assuming the DNA bomb wiped almost everyone out
  • There's something 'big' that's physically coming into the Quad that Khlyen wants Dutch to prepare for and deal with which is why he wants her to get 'upgraded' to level 6
  • Fancy Lee and Davin are presumably upgraded to level 6.

Was that the gist of it?

I know show, not tell is great for story telling but there seems to be so many things going on that it's easy to miss out on all the details.

• Locked thread