Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like this show too. I'm willing to forgive a lot more when it comes to sci-fi and this show doesn't really have that much to forgive. It's fun, I like at least two thirds of the main characters and the world is sufficiently interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The underlying story was kind of weak, but I like that they showed that the Quad is just a small part of the human settlement of the star cluster (Jay? J?) and the rest are even more loving nuts (nanomachine torture prison? assassins guilds? whatever insane war D'avin was fighting). Also they still managed to make it pretty scary.

Still, I wish we had a space show where they didn't have dumb names for things and people. Khlyen and D'avin with John? Also unless humans stop having assholes I don't think the insult will ever lose its relevance.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 19, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm amazed everyone is going "What could this gene bomb possibly be used for? " just two episodes after an entire show dedicated to what happens when one of the company bloodlines is in danger of getting wiped out.

Well they said that the Nine are pretty inbred...I figure there are marriages for alliances and even if they're incubated elsewhere they're genetically related to their parents...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Man, I like get all that is cheesy about this show but I can't help but like every moment. The acting is definitely getting better as the show goes on though.

"I mean, they're both...terrible at relationships. I mean epically incompetent." :haw:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Still liking this show, but honestly the class war between Qresh and its moons, the corporatocratic/generational/landowner hierarchy, and the masochistic religion intertwined with a liberation movement seems like it could make even a more awesome show by itself.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tighclops posted:

It's cute how both this show and Dark Matter have the dystopian nightmare future where everything is owned and run by rich people and most everybody else eats poo poo but neither one appears to have the balls to tackle these issues directly

For that, there is always Continuum.

Pretty sure they've been tackling it a good deal in this show though, it's just that the main characters aren't connected to it in any way and are powerless to do anything about it - they're all from somewhere else and implicitly belong into an organization which is dedicated to being 100% neutral. I don't think they've shied away from showing how lovely the system is, just look at what we got in this episode.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tighclops posted:

You know what, you're right. Killjoys seems more interested in addressing these issues as more than just set dressing, I guess it's too tempting to try to equivocate it with Dark Matter in my mind.

Why are people doing that anyway? Are they by the same makers or something?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jon Do posted:

I enjoyed the show trying to remove the "johnny's got a crush and he's a third wheel" feel and turn it into a more legitimate platonic friendship, though I think there's wiggle room for him to have some suppressed feelings.

God I hope not. Their relationship is my favorite one in the show.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This show had few rough moments early on but the last few episodes have been really good. I'm sad if this doesn't get picked up for another season.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, this level 6 nearly unkillable straw puppet thing, their mystery punch bowl computer and BDSM nanotech kind of sounds like there's an external factor to the series' population. Like aliens or something.

Or the Quad is just the backwater of the cluster they're in. Who knows how advanced the other polities are?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

I really love how Johnny geeks out over tech.

Also:

"Taint, decaying moldy tainty taint."

The writing on this show won't win any awards, but it's surprisingly well done as nailing the right kind of conversational mannerisms these characters would have. Also, they do a great job of establishing the right tone. Serious when need be, but with the right splash of humor.

"The dickiest dick that ever dicked"

The writing is enormously helped by the chemistry between the leads and the characters in general.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That was some great hate-flirting

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have they ever said what the "J" actually is? Never figured out if it's the star system, sector of space or galactic spiral arm.

A star cluster.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Also from subtitles land - it's D'avin, Khlyen, Qresh and probably missed something no doubt because "sci-fi" means weird names that make no sense :v:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To be fair...so is pretty much everyone else in this show

Also, the Nine seem to have pretty mundane names and are apparently inbred...I'm pretty sure the Company was just nine guys and their employees and a thousand years later things got kind of muddled and now you have power-mad pseudo-royalty and masochist rebel monks

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 3, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
GodDAMN Dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Dutch is cold as all hell in this season. I love it.

• Locked thread