Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rhyno posted:

My earlier comment still stands. Dutch feels like a kid wearing mom's clothes.
Aeryn Sun is a hard act to follow. There's a few things the actress should be doing to act more badass. I think she looks really goofy when holding her space gun, especially when intimidating someone. She needs to hold that poo poo one-handed more often, especially when she's just facing off a bunch of people with no way to fight back.

I think her fighting D'Avin was fine, I didn't mind her not really being too badass because it is a bit of a surprise to her in the moment. Other times, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah I think that actual shot was in this episode. She looks like she's just strolling along.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Jon Do posted:

I know I bitched a lot in the early thread -- really I was hoping someone saw some aspect of the early eps I didn't -- but I really liked the last couple episodes. I think they're seeming more like people and less like piles of tropes with windowdressing. So does the setting.

Despite mind control being a terribly shallow mechanic, it was handled well enough that there was actual emotional conflict. This conflict did not feel shallow, in fact it was revealed to be difficult to resolve; not tidied up. Johnny quit letting people push him around and pigeonhole him into fixing their issues. That felt like actual growth. He also actually came across more badass than Dutch when he shot those guys, cause you can tell he tried very hard to avoid it and regretted it deeply.

Hot Doctor needs to give Johnny some pussy. I enjoyed the show trying to remove the "johnny's got a crush and he's a third wheel" feel and turn it into a more legitimate platonic friendship, though I think there's wiggle room for him to have some suppressed feelings. Then again, I think Dutch has been a mother surrogate, he loves taking care of damaged women. Then again, Oedipus. Thus, we need hot doctor.
I think D'Avin having his memory unwiped and going full terminator was supposed to be that turning point in the show. I think most shows do have that around this point in their run, and it's about the proper distance for a show like this to start trying to do it. I'm honestly fine the first 5 or 6 episodes were just fun warrants-of-the-week kind of stuff to get everyone acclimated (writers, cast, audience, etc). I don't think everything that happened in the past 2 episodes really could've worked out as well in every respect if they didn't put in the time, honestly.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I didn't even know people wanted to make original IP genre stuff anymore. I thought it was just adaptations all the way down.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The bombing at the Hall was to kill off the Quereshi nobles that were probably in favour of handing the land over the 7th gen Westerlans. Not sure what the award ceremony part was for, but I don't think it was anything but nobles at attendance anyway, they were just convening for a vote. It's likely the bomb took them all out because they were all tied in some way by blood through intermarriage and alliances. They orchestrated the false flag attack to give them an excuse to bomb Old Town so that the coup would pretty much go unanswered.

Also poor Fancy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah I guess I was unclear there, but the genetic bomb probably helped things along in destroying what I assume would've been effectively a voting bloc consisting of allied families that intermingled for generations.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Guess we're getting a season 2!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Happy Canada Day, space is rightfully Canadian :canada:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

They're really rushing through story arcs. Like the stuff with Old Town and Pawter seems like it should have taken longer than one episode each.
It's actually a bit refreshing to see it move forward. Because normally I would've assumed Turrin's missions would've gone on for longer before Dutch decided she'd had enough of his poo poo, and same with Pawter basically saving herself (and then getting rekidnapped anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Too bad Dav wasn't wizard enough to just mind murder the whole room of Six'ed up monks in the Royale.

• Locked thread