Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'm wondering what's in the red box that Dutch got from her MurderDad. I hope it's a DVD of Gravity that he wants her to return to a Redbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

actually SyFy is spearheading incestuous homosexual relationships. get ready for the ride

Wincest! In the Future!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Exactly. Dutch seemed to be a pretty by-the-numbers example of the Tough but Caring Partner/Boss with a Secret. Killjoys is clearly not a game-changer, but it's a pretty decent game-operator. I'm interested in John, Dutch and their universe, which a hell of a lot more than I can say about Dark Matter, which lost my interest after twenty minutes.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dead Snoopy posted:

I felt that when she was conferring w/ her colleague/friend about the kill order she came across like a panicked amateur. When she was off planet, in disguise she was a lethal bad-rear end who had tremendous poise. She teetered from being weak while poisoned (understandable) to slick while saving her colleagues, despite overcoming her setback.

I didn't think her fear about the kill order was about her so much as it was about conveying the problem. Like "Holy fuckballs, if Dutch is that spooked, they're all in the very deepest of poo poo."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Smashurbanipal posted:

That was def the most formulaic episode yet. I understand that they need to set up the 9 vs Our Heroes angle, but it just felt so stale. The over the top "OMG, Dutch is royal!!!!!!" was so blatant it felt pretty drat forced.

I see it more as adding to a picture of Dutch that's already taking place. We already know that Dutch has a connection with someone both hidden and extremely powerful (she's still in the RAC despite flaunting their rules), that she's far more sophisticated that her partners, able to effortlessly blend into rarefied social settings with ease and that she has training and resources far beyond her apparent station. While it might seem like "Dutch is royal" is a foregone conclusion, it could also be that the instrument was more of an ironic gift based on the way her mentor trained her. Perhaps he meant for her to be able to move among the Nine as one of their own, all the better to murder them.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

It's a "just barely clears good enough" show for sure, but on the scale of all TV shows currently airing that places it quite high.

That's where it is for me, too. I'm mostly watching it because it's on right after Defiance and there no competition for my attention. If some evil SyFy bastard moved it in a way that changed that, I probably wouldn't watch it anymore.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

the more and more we get into the season for both of these the more I am expecting them to actually be taking place in the same universe

I've seen very little Dark Matter but I tend to agree.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jon Do posted:

I know I bitched a lot in the early thread -- really I was hoping someone saw some aspect of the early eps I didn't -- but I really liked the last couple episodes. I think they're seeming more like people and less like piles of tropes with windowdressing. So does the setting.

Despite mind control being a terribly shallow mechanic, it was handled well enough that there was actual emotional conflict. This conflict did not feel shallow, in fact it was revealed to be difficult to resolve; not tidied up. Johnny quit letting people push him around and pigeonhole him into fixing their issues. That felt like actual growth. He also actually came across more badass than Dutch when he shot those guys, cause you can tell he tried very hard to avoid it and regretted it deeply.

Hot Doctor needs to give Johnny some pussy. I enjoyed the show trying to remove the "johnny's got a crush and he's a third wheel" feel and turn it into a more legitimate platonic friendship, though I think there's wiggle room for him to have some suppressed feelings. Then again, I think Dutch has been a mother surrogate, he loves taking care of damaged women. Then again, Oedipus. Thus, we need hot doctor.

I liked that total lack of judgement with the doctor's drug problems.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Thats my hope. God knows I want to like Dark Matter but it just isn't doing it for me.

For me the point where decided against Dark Matter came in the ads it ran after the first episode. They'd end with Jodelle Ferland declaring "Because we're dangerous!" It's such a tell vs show moment.

Killjoys showed me that John and Dutch were tough, smart, competent, dangerous people during its opening scene. Dutch is kind of scary because she looks like she's only playing tough. I could easily see her slipping into a criminal's party disguised as a stripper "RAC agent," saying something like "In the name of the RAC," shakes her boobs, "You are locked and served..." wink and sexy voice. At which point she playfully cuffs him and pulls him into another room. Then he's halfway to Westerly prison before he realizes that sexy fun times are not in the cars. Until he meets his new cellmate, anyway.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Defiance gets way better in the second season and gets amazing (and dark) in its third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Tokubetsu posted:

Yeah the glowing poo poo definitely gives it an alien edge. That or maybe w/e the gently caress they did to the moon turned out to be something they could use. The whole "you have no idea what's coming" stuff makes it sound like an alien threat though.

I agree with the alien threat idea simply because of Khylan's actions. He doesn't seem to care about power for its own sake. I think he killed the other houses and hosed Westerly to have Delle Kendry as a strong leader who won't have to contend with rebellion or power struggles when the poo poo comes down. It's the same reason he's creating nigh-unkillable RAC agents (and with warrents RAC agents can show up anywhere doing anything and make the perfect covert operations force. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if next season has the group trying to overthrow Kendry and defeat/cure the Level 6ers and succeed with that just in time to have the ID4 ships from the real threat start showing up as Khylan's dyign words are something like "You fucktards, this is what I was trying to stop."

• Locked thread