Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I enjoyed the pilot. The bits where it seems to be shaping up into "Dutch and D'avin hook up and John is a terrible third wheel"... I hope they do well instead of soapy and cringy.

Definitely plan on watching more of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
The dude from The Following continues shaping up as the biggest liability and the lesser asset. Some of his stuff is pretty cringey in terms of being all emotional about poo poo. Is it just me or does he make the most/biggest fuckups out in the field as well?

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 4, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Nah, I'm also in the "just barely clears good enough" camp. I actually liked this episode the best so far, but then I'm a sucker for System Shock 2. Hibernetics.

I'd say I'm one terrible episode away from quitting, but I kinda wanna see how the season ends (unless it gets so bad I just cant make myself).

That said, I'm not really hatewatching. I feel like I'm almost into it on a regular basis and sometimes quite into it for short bursts. A bump up in combat choreography across the board -- and budget -- would do this show a lot of good. If they expand on the characters and the actors rise to the bar, that'd also be a huge thing.

I do agree about Dutch; I find any praise of the characters odd, as Dutch is the only one that's even two-dimensional, and her actress can't act tough to save her life. And constantly does it. Sexy tough chick. Struts around in catsuits. We get it. She's no River Tam, much less Trinity. Molly Millions is lightyears ahead of this, though not TV, and that's 1984.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 19, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I know I bitched a lot in the early thread -- really I was hoping someone saw some aspect of the early eps I didn't -- but I really liked the last couple episodes. I think they're seeming more like people and less like piles of tropes with windowdressing. So does the setting.

Despite mind control being a terribly shallow mechanic, it was handled well enough that there was actual emotional conflict. This conflict did not feel shallow, in fact it was revealed to be difficult to resolve; not tidied up. Johnny quit letting people push him around and pigeonhole him into fixing their issues. That felt like actual growth. He also actually came across more badass than Dutch when he shot those guys, cause you can tell he tried very hard to avoid it and regretted it deeply.

Hot Doctor needs to give Johnny some pussy. I enjoyed the show trying to remove the "johnny's got a crush and he's a third wheel" feel and turn it into a more legitimate platonic friendship, though I think there's wiggle room for him to have some suppressed feelings. Then again, I think Dutch has been a mother surrogate, he loves taking care of damaged women. Then again, Oedipus. Thus, we need hot doctor.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 9, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I think it was either not considered too terrible a lapse, given the circumstance... or it's in-character with the 'maintaining damaged women' bit involving scoring drugs for (assumedly) his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Also, the hostage-taker guy, I think the knife he uses is on mass drop. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

• Locked thread