Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

you'd have to disable Rootless on El Cap
Does this mean Rootless does work on a hackintosh even though Clover injects kexts at boot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed from the above conversation on dualbooting that the current recommended advice is to use the bootcamp utility. This gave me a lot of grief.

It ended up being easier to resize my main OSX partition in disk utility then, going about installing windows.

The boot camp utility when used to partition/resize the same drive as OSX is on uses a hybrid MBR, which makes the Windows installer very unhappy if you are to install Windows such that it boots from EFI (on that same drive). You end up not being able to get past the step where you choose the partition to install windows while at the same time destroying your perfectly good GPT partition table.

edit: to clarify this only happens if you intend to install windows and osx to the same drive,

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Does this mean Rootless does work on a hackintosh even though Clover injects kexts at boot?

Yep. Rootless only enforces *inside* the OS. Audio patching works fine, even with Rootless on.

Incomplete Fish posted:

I've noticed from the above conversation on dualbooting that the current recommended advice is to use the bootcamp utility. This gave me a lot of grief.

It ended up being easier to resize my main OSX partition in disk utility then, going about installing windows.

The boot camp utility when used to partition/resize the same drive as OSX is on uses a hybrid MBR, which makes the Windows installer very unhappy if you are to install Windows such that it boots from EFI (on that same drive). You end up not being able to get past the step where you choose the partition to install windows while at the same time destroying your perfectly good GPT partition table.

edit: to clarify this only happens if you intend to install windows and osx to the same drive,

Which version of Windows gets unhappy? 8.1/10 seemed fine here.

EDIT: OHH. Yeah, don't install as EFI. That's not what real Macs do. That's covered in the guide.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 16, 2015

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh so it was actually my mistake that caused me so much trouble. It was windows 8.1 for the record, I just initially read "bootcamp" and did the install the way I would always do it on my Macbook, without reading the guide. Oops. Sorry :P

It was in fact possible to complete the install this way, I just needed to google until I found someone who had done exactly what I did and how they fixed it; notably setting a protective MBR and doing all of the partitioning yourself before you even run the Windows installer. I am not savvy enough to know the difference that having Window's bootloader alongside my clover one in the ESP makes, but it did require me to reinstall clover again afterward in order for clover to work correctly and have an entry in the bootable devices list in my BIOS again.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Incomplete Fish posted:

Oh so it was actually my mistake that caused me so much trouble. It was windows 8.1 for the record, I just initially read "bootcamp" and did the install the way I would always do it on my Macbook, without reading the guide. Oops. Sorry :P

It was in fact possible to complete the install this way, I just needed to google until I found someone who had done exactly what I did and how they fixed it; notably setting a protective MBR and doing all of the partitioning yourself before you even run the Windows installer. I am not savvy enough to know the difference that having Window's bootloader alongside my clover one in the ESP makes, but it did require me to reinstall clover again afterward in order for clover to work correctly and have an entry in the bootable devices list in my BIOS again.

I'm not blaming you! Just trying to help. As for how Macs install Windows: the Mac silently boots the Windows install media as a non-EFI media, in BIOS mode. That's what Boot Camp is: a BIOS emulator. So to speak.

That sounds like tons of fun. Ouch. Ouch.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 16, 2015

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

so i'm trying to do the dual boot thing using boot camp assistant in Yosemite.

So far using boot camp assistant I have been able to make a bootable windows 8.1 installer, and then the computer restarts. I can then see 3 boot options in clover.
*Microsoft EFI mgr
*Microsoft CD boot
*Windows on [disk]
Attempting to boot into the first two runs something, then returns to the bootloader.
The third, the screen just has a blinking underscore and does nothing until i ctrl-alt-del to reboot the machine.

any ideas?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

lignicolos posted:

so i'm trying to do the dual boot thing using boot camp assistant in Yosemite.

So far using boot camp assistant I have been able to make a bootable windows 8.1 installer, and then the computer restarts. I can then see 3 boot options in clover.
*Microsoft EFI mgr
*Microsoft CD boot
*Windows on [disk]
Attempting to boot into the first two runs something, then returns to the bootloader.
The third, the screen just has a blinking underscore and does nothing until i ctrl-alt-del to reboot the machine.

any ideas?

Bring up the boot menu in your bios. Find the PX version of your drive (in the boot menu, you'll see the drive and it will begin with a P_ 'tag') and boot that.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

enMTW posted:

Bring up the boot menu in your bios. Find the PX version of your drive (in the boot menu, you'll see the drive and it will begin with a P_ 'tag') and boot that.

I don't have one with a P_ in front of it, but the usb drive is listed twice. There is a listing with UEFI and one without. When i choose the one without UEFI it just does the blinking cursor thing.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

lignicolos posted:

I don't have one with a P_ in front of it, but the usb drive is listed twice. There is a listing with UEFI and one without. When i choose the one without UEFI it just does the blinking cursor thing.

That means the drive was imaged incorrectly/the image is invalid in some way. Use Rufus to put the OS installer on the drive.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

enMTW posted:

That means the drive was imaged incorrectly/the image is invalid in some way. Use Rufus to put the OS installer on the drive.

I used Rufus and now i've got my Windows 8.1 partition up and running. thanks!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Get a load of this:

Tried everything: different USB ports and sticks, tried selecting every entry in the boot menu to ensure it was EFI boot, with/without nv_disable, bios reset, detached all SATA disks, detached 2nd monitor, removed my 2nd videocard, etc. Using 670 GTX and GA-Z77X-D3H.

config.plist:

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Arguments</key>
		<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultLoader</key>
		<string>boot.efi</string>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>LastBootedVolume</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ResetHDA</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>HighCurrent</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1280x1024</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>black_green</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelHaswellE</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>C02032109R5DC771H</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>UseMacAddr0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>02/29/08</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>11</integer>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>Pro-Enclosure</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>06</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>Mac Pro</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacPro3,1</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>CK9442L2XYL</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>Yes</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 19, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (asus p8z77v) don't seem to want to work. The ones I added with a front panel plug work, but the ones on the motherboard itself (which I think is an ASmedia controller, and the two front panel ones are Intel) do not. Any ideas? Or should I just install a USB 3.0 card.

enMTW posted:

I use Continuity/Handoff!

How do you make it work? I bought a Bluetooth dongle people reccomend (Broadcom GMYLE), but the Activation Tool seems to be built around authentic Macs that didn't have 4.0 in their Bluetooth hardware.

I ran the diagnostic in the activation tool and got this:

code:
Verifying Wi-Fi hardware...NOT OK. No active AirPort card was detected. Continuity will not work.
Verifying AWDL status...NOT OK. Your Wi-Fi card doesn't support AWDL
Verifying Bluetooth hardware...WARNING: Could not detect Bluetooth hardware.
Verifying Bluetooth version...OK. Bluetooth 4.0 detected
Do I need to have wi-fi in order to make this work? I don't have wifi hardware of any kind built into this desktop because I'm one of those assholes that still uses Ethernet cables to get maximum speed.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 19, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oops, double post.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Get a load of this:

Tried everything: different USB ports and sticks, tried selecting every entry in the boot menu to ensure it was EFI boot, with/without nv_disable, bios reset, detached all SATA disks, detached 2nd monitor, removed my 2nd videocard, etc. Using 670 GTX and GA-Z77X-D3H.
Results with Unibeast/Multibeast:

Hmmmm...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 19, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

lignicolos posted:

I used Rufus and now i've got my Windows 8.1 partition up and running. thanks!

Yaaaay!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

The USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (asus p8z77v) don't seem to want to work. The ones I added with a front panel plug work, but the ones on the motherboard itself (which I think is an ASmedia controller, and the two front panel ones are Intel) do not. Any ideas? Or should I just install a USB 3.0 card.

How do you make it work? I bought a Bluetooth dongle people reccomend (Broadcom GMYLE), but the Activation Tool seems to be built around authentic Macs that didn't have 4.0 in their Bluetooth hardware.

I ran the diagnostic in the activation tool and got this:

code:
Verifying Wi-Fi hardware...NOT OK. No active AirPort card was detected. Continuity will not work.
Verifying AWDL status...NOT OK. Your Wi-Fi card doesn't support AWDL
Verifying Bluetooth hardware...WARNING: Could not detect Bluetooth hardware.
Verifying Bluetooth version...OK. Bluetooth 4.0 detected
Do I need to have wi-fi in order to make this work? I don't have wifi hardware of any kind built into this desktop because I'm one of those assholes that still uses Ethernet cables to get maximum speed.

Dunno, I don't use ASUS boards. You want Intel USB, that's what Apple uses.

Continuity: I cover it in the OP! I bought an actual Apple Bluetooth/Wifi card and installed it. Yes, WiFi is required (AFAIK) for handoff. You can still use Ethernet for Internet, you just need a WiFi card connected to the same network as your iPhone in addition to Ethernet.

Results with Unibeast/Multibeast:

Hmmmm...

Are you sure the installation media (USB stick) is correct? That error usually occurs with invalid media.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 19, 2015

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

The USB 3.0 ports on my motherboard (asus p8z77v) don't seem to want to work....

I use a P8Z77-V LX and all my USB ports are working (as far as i can tell).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

lignicolos posted:

I use a P8Z77-V LX and all my USB ports are working (as far as i can tell).

I have the pro. The two USB 2.0 ports on the back of the motherboard work fine, but the two blue 3.0 ones do not. No idea.

enMTW posted:

I bought an actual Apple Bluetooth/Wifi card and installed.

Ugh, I'm trying to avoid doing that because $50 is way too much money to spend for that feature.

EDIT: This page shows a $25-30 card that will fit in a desktop slot and be activated with a single kext patch in Clover Configurator. I'm going to look into getting one handled by Amazon so I can have their return policy just in case, and see if it works.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 19, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

Ugh, I'm trying to avoid doing that because $50 is way too much money to spend for that feature.

Well, if you get the Apple card, location services will work. Those need WiFi. Maps, etc will be able to locate you. Lots of little issues get resolved if you have a Wifi card.

Officially, Handoff requires WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0. If it works on just 4.0 that's great, but note that iOS X.XX could change that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

enMTW posted:

Are you sure the installation media (USB stick) is correct? That error usually occurs with invalid media.
Yes, as I wrote in the post I tried multiple sticks.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Yes, as I wrote in the post I tried multiple sticks.

Huh. I'll get back to you with something to try. Very odd issue, going to have to think about it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 19, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any ideas on a good SMBios for a 3770K/Z77 motherboard? I went from MacPro3,1 or whatever it's called, with sleep working fine, to iMac13,2 in order to get iMessage. Now, sleep is not working. Turns out, this is not a surprise, power management doesn't work on this profile.

iMac13,3 does support power management, but of course Clover Configurator doesn't support this profile out of the box. :ssj:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

Any ideas on a good SMBios for a 3770K/Z77 motherboard? I went from MacPro3,1 or whatever it's called, with sleep working fine, to iMac13,2 in order to get iMessage. Now, sleep is not working. Turns out, this is not a surprise, power management doesn't work on this profile.

iMac13,3 does support power management, but of course Clover Configurator doesn't support this profile out of the box. :ssj:

MacPro3,1. SMBios has nothing to do with iMessage, just copy the serial you are using with iMac13,2 to a MacPro3,1 SMBios.

All iMessage cares about is the system serial/board serial number/ROM value. The later two should, ideally, be legitimate (from an actual Mac).

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Also, There might be some sort server side thing with iMessage to prevent spam.

I know that I couldn't get iMessage to work consistently (texts would work, iMessages wouldn't), and then suddenly, ~24hrs later it just started working, very strange.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, I got sleep working again under a iMac13,2 SMBios by using SSDTprgen to look at my CPU and create an SSDT, and then move that into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched and reboot. I knew that iMessage wouldn't care what model I used, but when I initially set it up I wanted to select a profile that uses the same CPU (Ivy Bridge i7) if possible for any power management, CPU timing related stuff.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 20, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Also, There might be some sort server side thing with iMessage to prevent spam.

I know that I couldn't get iMessage to work consistently (texts would work, iMessages wouldn't), and then suddenly, ~24hrs later it just started working, very strange.

There is. The best way around that system is to use real values from a real Mac.

Craptacular! posted:

So, I got sleep working again under a iMac13,2 SMBios by using SSDTprgen to look at my CPU and create an SSDT, and then move that into EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched and reboot. I knew that iMessage wouldn't care what model I used, but when I initially set it up I wanted to select a profile that uses the same CPU (Ivy Bridge i7) if possible for any power management, CPU timing related stuff.

That's one way to do it, yeah.

The thing about MacPro3,1 is that it doesn't set any power management/CPU related stuff. The other profiles do, MP3,1 doesn't. The values that Clover generates on the fly get used instead.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Here's the Nvidia WebDriver for El Cap, if anyone needs it. http://us.download.nvidia.com/OH74WaRQJqEYOCnaqXNdHsnFt4J8zQnN/WebDriver-346.03.01b06.pkg

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was going to play around with this on a box I had lying around but got a kernel panic for my initial Clover boot: in com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. This box has an ASUS P8P67 Pro with LGA1155 socket. Looking around there are some "install NullCPUPowerManagement" kext guides, but not sure what I should choose. Any ideas on how to proceed?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

That is an issue caused by 'locked MSRs' on non-Gigabyte boards. You can likely find a patched bios online, that is the best option. Only download NullCPUPowerManagement as a last resort.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well now I've got an excuse to move this box to NAS duty and make sure my next build is compatible.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Hed posted:

Well now I've got an excuse to move this box to NAS duty and make sure my next build is compatible.

I own an ASUS board, and had no problem downloading a modded BIOS and flashing it. Unless you buy Gigabyte specifically, you always have to do this. But in the several years I've owned my machine, I've only had to do it twice. The first time, I downloaded a modded BIOS from a wordpress blog that doesn't exist anymore. The second, I had to run a command line app called PMPatch and point it to a firmware downloaded from the manufacturer and make my own modded BIOS. That worked, too.

Today, PMPatch was replaced with an even simpler tool called UEFIpatch. Grab UEFIPatch, extract it somewhere, download the latest BIOS file from ASUS, and drag the file over the app. It should create [biosfilen.ame].patched, which you can move onto a USB stick, remove the .patched appendix, and install.

I have a Z77 board, and in my case the bios had to be updated using the emergency flash function where you plug a USB stick into a specific USB slot and then hold down a button on the motherboard itself until an LED starts blinking. But the routine ran fine and it all worked.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 22, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm gonna be attempting Hackintosh on my friends X99 build.

I tried to avoid all compatibility issues, EXCEPT for the X99 part; what method should I use to create this?

Should I do the Chimera method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx_RD7CduDM

Clover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjMXkB2wMWE

Something else? I'm completely lost on which to pick. I'm a complete noob to Hackintoshing, though I used to work with Macs at a "power user" level (not uncomfortable with console commands, but I prefer to avoid them if possible).

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: figured it out

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 30, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go Clover and use the OP method. While Chameleon is "Easy" with their turn key methods, doing it properly means far less hassle down the line. You never have to worry about resetting audio or network or any custom kexts on system update ever again. I have found it far less glitches and power/sleep is flawless. All the relevant files are in a hidden but organized partition instead of where the gently caress Chameleon does. HDMI audio is super easy using a real Mac kext, while Chameleon is mystic voodoo.

Short version. Clover is much more real Mac.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess it's worth mentioning that you can have both installed at the same time.

I used to have Clover installed, but it wouldn't work properly on my hardware, so I booted to Chameleon/Chimera/whatever. About a year ago, Clover seemed to have some significant patching that made it work immediately on install with my system, and require very minor tweaks in general, so I just changed the settings in my BIOS to boot to the UEFI partition and moved along. I did eventually reinstall Windows 8 and patched the installer to use UEFI itself, so that launching Windows out of Clover worked properly. But if you aren't installing Windows at all that shouldn't be a problem.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I'll be stopping back in to answer more questions later today, reply to everyone etc.

Question though: would anyone object to me re-making this thread? I let the old OP post it, so as to not just steal the stuff he wrote before. The problem is that now I can't edit the first post (which is out of date). I can't make a 'chapter list' linking to individual instructions. I can't do X Y Z. Also, the thread is tagged wrong, making it hard for people to find it! Would anyone object to me remaking this thread?

Almost every single line in the OP was written by me anyway. I'd rewrite the remainder and post a new thread.

Just getting tired of everything being disorganized.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm gonna be attempting Hackintosh on my friends X99 build.

I tried to avoid all compatibility issues, EXCEPT for the X99 part; what method should I use to create this?

X99 is really complicated. Apple has never used it, so support is weak. You should use Clover and follow a guide online for that specific motherboard.

You'll need the Nvidia WebDriver, but that isn't a big deal. Also, not that it's a bad thing or anything, but there is no reason to list the cooler/memory/storage/case/psu/optical drive. Any of those components that work with the motherboard will work with OS X.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 23, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

enMTW posted:

I'll be stopping back in to answer more questions later today, reply to everyone etc.

Question though: would anyone object to me re-making this thread? I let the old OP post it, so as to not just steal the stuff he wrote before. The problem is that now I can't edit the first post (which is out of date). I can't make a 'chapter list' linking to individual instructions. I can't do X Y Z. Also, the thread is tagged wrong. Would anyone object to me remaking this thread?

Almost every single line in the OP was written by me anyway. I'd rewrite the remainder and post a new thread.

Just getting tired of everything being disorganized.

I would not object if the OP method was more clearly written. Some of the steps are jumbled together or put in really awkward sentences.

quote:

Go to boot. Make sure kext-dev-mode=1 is on. If you need the Web Driver, you will turn it on for here, but for now (and only if you need the Web Driver) we are going to completely disable the Nvidia driver - cards that need the web driver hang at black screens until you install the Nvidia driver. This fixes it - check the box that says 'nv_disable=1'. Again: don't check that unless your card requires the Web Driver.

Maybe simpler steps with IF, THEN, UNLESS, AND, MAY, SHALL etc.

quote:

In many standards track documents several words are used to signify
the requirements in the specification. These words are often
capitalized. This document defines these words as they should be
interpreted in IETF documents. Authors who follow these guidelines
should incorporate this phrase near the beginning of their document:

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL
NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
"OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in
RFC 2119.

Note that the force of these words is modified by the requirement
level of the document in which they are used.

1. MUST This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the
definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.

2. MUST NOT This phrase, or the phrase "SHALL NOT", mean that the
definition is an absolute prohibition of the specification.

3. SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

4. SHOULD NOT This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that
there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the
particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full
implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed
before implementing any behavior described with this label.

5. MAY This word, or the adjective "OPTIONAL", mean that an item is
truly optional. One vendor may choose to include the item because a
particular marketplace requires it or because the vendor feels that
it enhances the product while another vendor may omit the same item.
An implementation which does not include a particular option MUST be
prepared to interoperate with another implementation which does
include the option, though perhaps with reduced functionality. In the
same vein an implementation which does include a particular option
MUST be prepared to interoperate with another implementation which
does not include the option (except, of course, for the feature the
option provides.)

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I would not object if the OP method was more clearly written. Some of the steps are jumbled together or put in really awkward sentences.

Maybe simpler steps with IF, THEN, UNLESS, AND, MAY, SHALL etc.

Yeah I want to re-write everything to simply, simplify, simplify. Something like a flow chart that directs you to different sets of instructions based on hardware and the like.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 23, 2015

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thread tag being BSD is confusing as well, after a couple years of the Apple thread tag.

This could be one of those "Welcome to Something Awful, be thankful I didn't tag it 'WEIRD'" things, but anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Get a load of this:

I tried doing a fresh install as opposed to just booting my tonymac build from clover and ran into the same thing when trying to launch the installer.

• Locked thread