Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

“And that was my homecoming. It was fine, I guess. Getting back feels like your first breath after nearly drowning. Even if it hurts, it's good.”
― Phil Klay

Ostraberg Children
Alonsius Ostraberg, Human Occultist
Astraea Ostraberg, Aasimar Rogue
Edmund Ostraberg, ship's captain in training.
Sara Ostraberg, training in the clergy.
Sebastian Ostraberg, Human Bard

People
Alexander der Ostraberg, Lord: 4th in his line to take the name and own the lands.
Castor Bramford: Master of Ostraberg House and Alexander's man.
Hazkabalix: Demon. Owes Astraea and Sebastian a question each.
Jamie Homes: Part-time bandit and childhood bully of Alonsius. Deputy of Brendal.
Krenkara of House Oblitzi: An apprentice of Alexander's who owns the first collection of shadow books in Walkern.
Lixash Bel Demru: Contact among the ettercaps who live under the house.
Mayor Oscad: Retired warrior and mayor of Brendal.
Obidiah Cleath: Historian at Brendal.
Richard Homes: Sheriff of Brendal. Jamie's father.
Ser Karys: Ghost knight who protects The Ostraberg Mausoleum.
Simon Westfield :Master of Alexander's legal affairs.
The Golden Hand: A merchant who owns the second collection of shadow books in Glitterhagan.

Geography
Brendal: The closest town to Ostraberg House. Inn is The Thistle.
Doveland Wood: The large wood surrounding Ostraberg House.
Forester's Rest: The largest town in Ostraberg. Seat of local government.
Greenkeep: A town.
Lake Avondale: Large lake.
Lake Winston: Large freshwater near Forester's rest.
Northbrace: A village. Colder and on the outskirts.
Ostraberg (County): A varied county covering approximately 300 square miles.
Ostraberg (House): The manor in which the Lords and Ladies of Ostraberg reside.
Siltshire: A village.
Starfall Lake: Lake near Ostraberg House. Astraea landed there.
Walkern: A village. Lays on a trade route.

Hooks
Get home and clear up your father's mess?
The Ostraberg family tour: Brendal, Northbrace, Walkern, Home, Stiltshire, Forester's Rest, Greenkeep.
Alexander is dead, you might be on the hook for his magical debts.
Alexander's bones and ashes are in your possession. What should be done with them?
The Elven Diplomat's Crown allows the wearer to hear voices of some kind. It may be worth gathering some information.
You've always been told Alexander was the 4th son in a line to take the Lordship of Ostraberg, yet Ser Karys claims Alexander's father was a fisherman...
There is a network of tunnels beneath the house. What is down there and why did Alexander tunnel there?
There are ettercaps living in the maze beneath the house. If you need them, tie something yellow around the front gate.
There are monsters in the basement! You can go there any time for a fight!
The rocky outcrop where Astraea was found has some sort of astral beam on it at night.
The first collection of shadow books is at The Red Fox Inn in Walkern, with an apprentice named Krenkara of House Oblitzi.
The second collection of shadow books is in Glitterhagan, property of a crafty merchant called The Golden Hand.
The third collection of shadow books is PROBABLY in the horde of a creature on the island of Felicity.
There are some hobgoblins in the hills to the north of Brendal.

Icon Dice
Sebastian: ~Elf Queen 6, ~Lich King 5
Astraea: ~Prince of Shadow 6
Alonsius: ~Archmage 5

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Alexander's letters are dispatched across the world, sent out in search of their intended recipients. The envelopes, each addressed with his neat, swirling black cursive, travel across fields and meadows, through forests and fens, down rivers and over mountains. As the letters find their way to you, you believe that you can smell the ancient house on the paper. You are immediately transported back to the days of your childhood, back to the halls and libraries. Your fingers trace his writing, your eyes scan the words he has carefully weaved across the page.

Some of Alexander's children return home. Others choose not to. In both cases, their reasons are their own.

Red Chainday comes.

The town of Brendal is not the largest in all of Ostraberg, but it is the closest to Ostraberg House. From the centre of the town you can gaze up and see the blurry silhouette of the hill, and the house atop it, rising from the forest below. Doveland Wood is large and dense and you spent a great deal of your childhood exploring, though you were regularly warned how dangerous it was. The path east carves a road between farms and ponds, weaving its way into the woods. Brendal is a simple town and though the people are as hard-working and brave and honest as anywhere else in the empire, most will never leave. There is a simplicity and peacefulness that is both charming and deceptive. The springs may be pleasant with the shepherds and farmers working the meadows on the outskirts of town, but the winters are long and bitterly cold. The men and women here are tired and weathered. All have lost loved ones. Some have injuries from time served in the military.

None of them notice you for who you are. Perhaps they never knew you when you lived in the house upon the hill. Perhaps your time away has changed you into somebody else. Perhaps the townsfolk have more important things to remember than the face of some Lord's prodigal heir.

There is a black wagon parked in the centre of town, opposite the large stone fountain. The water that spills up from inside and trickles down is green with moss. The wagon, with its fine workmanship and polished black wood, instantly strikes you as something your father would ride within. The horses are equally magnificent, strong and handsome beasts, waiting patiently still bound to the wagon. A stable hand keeps and idle eye on them, occasionally moving a bucket of oats before them in turn. A couple of children, perhaps his younger siblings, stare up at the wagon in marvel.

One by one, three children of Alexander der Ostraberg arrive...

Welcome to the game, lets get things rolling.

Normal posting conventions. Put your token at the start of each post.

Remember, this game is semi-sandbox. There are lots of ways to handle each problem. The game will also take place over a considerable period of time. Just because something would take a while, doesn't mean it is not a feasible plan.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Astraea Ostraberg

"Alonsius! Sebastian! I'm so happy to see you!" Astraea runs up to the wagon and gives her brothers a big hug. "How was your studies, are you a fancy wizard now? And Al, you left so fast that I hardly got to say good bye, how have you been doing? Has anyone else arrived?"

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 25, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Astraea! It's good to see you maintain your cheery attitude." He returns the hug halfheartedly. "I have been well enough. Better recently, I suppose. And how have you fared?"

Alonsius manages to free himself from the embrace. The noonday sun high above reduces his shadow to a small pool, and it seems restful now, though it still shudders weirdly. Alonsius turns to the great black coach.
"This thing looks like a hearse. I hope that isn't portentous."

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
Stats		At-Will			Recharge
HP 36/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here	Timely Mistake (6+)
AC 15		Moment of Karma		Inevitable Fall (16+)
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke		Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 9/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+4

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Ah..." Her expression turns doleful as Al asks how she has been. "I've been... fine. Mostly. But we're back home now, it will all be back just like it was!" She smiles again, then furrows her brow. "But father wrote such odd things in the letter, he must not be feeling well. Let's nurse him back to health and prepare the house for our siblings when they arrive, then throw a big party! With lots of delicious cakes!"

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

Stats		Per Battle		Powers (Momentum)
HP 32/32	[ ] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16		[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 8/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Initiative +6				Sure Cut (M)
Momentum: No				Tumbling Strike

Daggers +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius stares at Astraea for a moment.
"Astra... Starry," Alonsius uses the old pet name to try to comfort her somewhat. "I doubt we will see our father again... but we can organize a party, yes. That sounds a grand idea."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea rolls her eyes. "Oh you're every bit as doomy and gloomy as father could ever be, Al. I bet he was in one of those moods when he wrote that letter, but I could always cheer him up!" A mischievous glint appears in her eyes. "Now, if you don't significantly improve your disposition within the next few seconds do not forget that I know exactly where you are the most ticklish and am fully prepared to render you a hysterical laughing mess right here in the center of town! Surely the little lord doesn't want to be taken for a fool?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius seems utterly unperturbed.
"I suppose I am lord... strange, to think about it... I'm sorry, I was in another world. Tickling will not be necessary, Astraea. Come, let us see to this cart."

Alonsius approaches the stable hand and waves him down.
"Hail, friend. Is this the cart Lord Alexander Ostraberg hired to take us to the manor house?"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian trudges up to the wagon, apparently nursing a hangover. "Alonsius! Astraea! It's been so long. Please, Astraea, stop shouting." He grimaces and rubs his head.

Sockerbagarn posted:

"How was your studies, are you a fancy wizard now?"
Am I a--Did Father never tell any of you? Gods, I was expelled from the Horizon University of Arcane Research a month after I arrived. And after that, the Horizon Thaumaturgical Institute. And after that, I found myself an initiate in one of the Diabolist's cabals...accidentally released a bunch of minor devils that ended up wreaking havoc across the cabal. They weren't too happy with me after that." Sebastian begins counting on his fingers. "Oh, and did you hear about that undead uprising a few years back? Over by Oldtown? Yeah, I stumbled across one of the Lich King's agents conducting an instructional seance for some necromancer neophytes. Seemed like an interesteing gig, but it turns out the dead don't like it when you hold parties in their mausoleums." He grins sheepishly at his siblings.

"So, to answer your question...I never did become the fancy wizard I was supposed to. But I'm here now, so that's something, right?"

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 26, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The man watching the horses glances up to Alonsius, as if noticing him for the first time. His bored eyes trail the man from head to toe as he thrusts the bucket of oats forward. One of the horses dips its head and eats, gently flicking its tail.

"I don't know nothin' about that," he mutters. "Fella paid me to watch the horses is o'er there."

All three of you turn to see a semi-familiar face.

"Children..." the man says, reaching out as if to touch you before bringing his hands back to his side. His smile is broad and genuine, his eyes wet and his skin dark.

Castor Bramford was your father's man. He oversaw the house when you were growing up, managed everything so that when your father fell into periods of deep depression, or buried himself in his work, he did not starve to death. Castor was always kind and loving to all of the adopted children, and to some in particular he was considerably more present than Alexander. You remember him as a bright eyed and perpetually busy man, but the figure before you now has aged. Deep set worry lines criss cross his forehead, and though his pleasure at seeing you is clearly genuine, his eyes are dull. Whatever energy had once been in them is gone.

"Alonsius... good grief, Alonsius," he says, taking the occultist in. "You stand just like your father...your manner is...And Sebastian! Look at you!" He walks over and embraces Sebastian for a moment, then pushes him to arm's length and studies him. "And little Astra! You've all grown so much in the last few years. Look at you all!"

He glances around the square.

"It appears that it is only the three of you who have returned... I must say, I am surprised to see you Sebastian. That said, welcome. Did you have pleasant journeys?"

A figure behind Castor clears his throat and the housekeeper jumps.

"Ah of course, my apologies, children this is Simon Westfield. He represents the legal interests of the Ostraberg estate. We have some business to conduct up at the house."

"Charmed to meet you all," Simon sneers, stepping up into the wagon. "We should depart immediately. I wish to be back in Forester's Rest before dark."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Sebastian, heavens... I was certain you at least could have... I'm sorry. I feel responsible for not being there. But what's past is past. We've come here together, and perhaps we can make something of that old manor house."

He turns to Castor Bramford and returns the smile.
"It does my heart good to see you again, Castor. You, at least, have stood strong when so much seems shaken. But I see our legal representative is eager to return to the family home. I'm sure we can talk during the journey."
Alonsius shoulders his bag, just a small backpack that nevertheless carried everything he owned these days, and makes for the carriage.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 25, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Oh Seb... If I had known I wouldn't have asked something so heartless. But the Diabolist and the Lich King? Aren't they kinda, you know." Astraea shrugs. "Well, at least you didn't turn into some snooty wizard with a dusty old robe and no sense of humor. You know, I think that everything- Uncle Cas!" Her face beams as she sees the old housekeeper and flies into his arms. "We're back home!" She peers over his shoulder at the unfamiliar man. He did not seem like a very happy sort.

"Yes, let's go to the house. We've been gone for so long, I almost feel nervous at seeing it again." She picks up her belongings, and steps into the wagon. "How is father?"

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 26, 2015

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Captain_Indigo posted:

I must say, I am surprised to see you Sebastian. That said, welcome."
"Yeah, well, I'm not too proud to come home and see Father again."

Sockerbagarn posted:

But the Diabolist and the Lich King? Aren't they kinda, you know."
Sebastian shrugs. "Sure, but they're not all bad. And even the ones that are all bad are at least interesting."

Sebastian makes an exaggerated, sarcastic bow towards Westfield, losing his balance and nearly falling over in the process. "Of course, of course, your time is surely much more valuable than ours."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Westfield's eyebrow climbs at Sebastian's comment and he grumbles inarticulately to himself. Smoothing out his jacket and adjusting his cuffs, he reaches into his case with black-gloved hands and withdraws several papers which he begins to peruse with methodical disinterest.

"Your father is... perhaps we should wait until we reach the house," Castor says with a sad smile.

He looks you over, still clearly touched to see you all. He opens the wagon door and motions for everyone to climb up inside. He takes the long red reigns from the stable hand and presses another coin into his palm, then climbs up the side of the magnificent wagon.

With a 'hya!', the horses come to life and begin pounding the path with their grand hooves. The atmosphere in the wagon is slightly cold - Simon Westfield is uninterested in making conversation, leaving the three of you to fill the silence. Every so often he signs a paper with a stubby pencil, or cross-references different sheets. The ruffled lawyer is as cold, as Castor is warm towards you.

"It's not a long ride up to the house!" Castor calls from up front. "I'm sure you recall. I remember bringing you down and up from Brendal fairly regularly over the years. We'll get to the bottom of the hill within twenty minutes, and we'll be in the grounds within the half hour. Once we get you home, unless you have any objections, we'll set up in the dining room and..."

"Master Bramford, might I remind you that there are very clear instructions regarding how you are to proceed?" Simon mutters, never taking his eyes off of the documents.

Castor falls silent.

A few moments later the meadows and grassy fields around you are replaced with tall green trees. Sunlight pierces the woods in lances, piercing the gaps in the canopy. The road becomes a little rougher, but the mighty horses do not slow.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius briefly wonders if this was going to turn into a will settlement.
"Hm, so I suppose Alexander is here. But do not mind the honorable Mr. Westfield, I'm sure he has his job and hopes to execute them to the best of his ability."

He spends some time gazing out at the passing countryside. Castor was right, it was all coming back to him. It seemed unfair. Weren't lands supposed to deteriorate into ruin when their master died? Alonsius takes the time to chat with his siblings.
"So what happened after I left? Do you know what any of the others have been doing?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea sits in silence and watches the trees roll past outside the wagon. The way the sun found its way past the thick foliage was beautiful but her mood was dampened by the oppressive atmosphere inside the wagon, and she worried so about what might have happened to her father.

She snaps out of her thoughts halfway through Al's question. "The others? Oh, uhm. Sara went to some monastery near Santa Cora, Ed I think is travelling the midland sea working on becoming a ship Captain, and uh." She looks thoughtful. "I'm sorry, I feel a bit distracted right now, let's talk about it later."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The wagon bumps and rattles its way along the path. The horses are strong and mighty beasts and it has been a long time since any of you have travelled in such luxury. As the wagon crests a small hill in the path, the horses whinny and the ride buckles slightly. You hear Castor curse under his breath as the ride slows to a crawl. Even Simon looks up from his papers.

"Can I help you boys?" Castor asks.

Glancing out the window, you see the path is barred by a hastily erected barricade. Long logs, stacked in what looks like metal hoists built specifically for such a task, leave only the thinnest of walkways at the undergrowth of each side. Perched along the barrier is a small gang of young men, and on closer inspection a few women. They are clad in clothes similar to Sebastian's: mismatched armour of various designs and types. They all wear black scarves over the lower half's of their faces.

The horses seem unsure of what to do. They continue to clop forward awkwardly and slowly, but the closer you get, the slower they clop until they have come to a stop. One of the men, a halfling, drops casually from the barricade and lands with a burst of dust on the path. He inspects the moss and dirt on his gloves and brushes them against his pants.

"Morning," he nods cheerfully. "Or is it afternoon now? Nevermind. I'm afraid this road is currently the property of me and my friends here. Now, we understand its the only way back up to the mansion, so we'll do you a favour. How about you hand over that big fat purse of yours, old man?"

"It's not like Alexander will notice anyway!" someone on the barricade cries out.

"Yeah, drop in the ocean, right?"

They laugh, but the leader simply draws a crossbow. He leaps up and grabs hold of the side of the wagon, pulling himself to the window and glancing in.

"Don't worry boys and girls, you'll be on your way soon I'm sure, the driver aint going to risk you...." his voice trails off as he stares into the wagon. "Ho-ly-poo poo! Merv, you aint never going to believe who's here!"

"Who?" one of the others calls over.

"It's only his majesty!"

Alonsius, you suddenly recognise the voice and with it, the cocky swagger and attitude. Jamie Holmes. One of the more vicious bullies in Brendal. He was the same age as you when you were a kid, and you crossed paths several times. Bitter, spiteful and nasty, him and his friends had nicknamed you 'His Majesty' on the first day and did not drop it. He painted you as some pampered and perfumed dandy, someone who would never have to work a day in his life. You would often be made suddenly aware of his presence with an exagerated mockery of well-spokenness catcalled from across the street.

"Well, well, well, for what purpose does one grace us with his presence? Come, let us fall and offer our coats to such a divine and handsome, special boy!" and so on.

"These aint just any old passengers, its Alexander's bleeding kids! What you lot doing back here?"

Jamie's tone is jovial, perhaps even friendly, but he does not lower the crossbow in his hand and there's a nasty fire in his eyes.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius raises an eyebrow. Truly, everything was coming back these days.
"Stay in the cart for now. I should be able to handle this."
He was more concerned they didn't see what he was about to do, rather than any worry for their safety.

He opens the door of the carriage and hops down, cane in hand. He holds it in his hand, making sure it doesn't rattle and reveal the blade inside. Jamie Holmes. Once there was a time when the halfling was a true terror. But Alonsius now knew true horror, and a mere mortal with a crossbow was hardly worth considering.
"Jamie, good to see you again. As you can see, some of us have returned after some time. And I see you, perhaps, have come on hard times? I can understand, sometimes hard circumstances bring us to real desperation."
He nods to some of the other bandits.
"And I see Wayne and Fenix are here as well. A lovely reunion, isn't it? But I'm afraid we have no intention of giving you our gold."
The evening sun casts long shadows across the pathway, and they seem to grow larger.
"You barely even matter any more, Jamie. I have seen black aeons that would drive you mad for even knowing they exist. Their predations have threatened me with far more than your fragile tools and weapons. Greater threats than you have made attempts on my life, and I have come through, not unscathed, but all the stronger for it."
The trees seem to reach in, their branches grasping claws.
"Leave, Jamie. The lord has come back to his manor, and if I hear of you harassing the citizens of my land, I will make you know the meaning of fear."
Alonsius' shadow creeps up the barricade, and opens its cold glowing eyes.

Cha+Void Secrets: 1d20+8 17 for spookiness

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Banditry, this close to home? What had happened to this place? If they were that hard pressed for money she would be happy to help them, but not if they resort to armed robbery. Innocents could get hurt or even die if things went wrong.

A chill swept through her body a moment after Alonsius left the wagon. She shakes her head at Sebastian. "Stay in the cart? Like I've ever stayed put." She leaps out and prepares to give the bandits a piece of her mind, especially that ghastly Jamie who wouldn't stop bothering her brother. But then she spots Alonsius' shadow.

She almost reflexively takes a step back but instead freezes in place. "Al... What is going on?" She asks, shocked.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian nods to Astraea, muttering "Like hell we're gonna stay in the wagon!" as he steps out to see Alonsius doing...something. Something weird. Looks like some kinda shadowy magic, and it's certainly far beyond anything Sebastian has seen before.

While he may not understand the magic behind it, he definitely understands the intent, and decides to help his brother out now and ask questions later. Mage Hand was one of the first cantrips he learned in Horizon, and it's one of the few tricks he knows well. Sebastian focuses on creating a creeping, crawling sensation running up Jamie's spine. Combined with whatever the hell Alonsius is doing, this pint-sized bandit should be running for the hills.

It doesn't look like there's any sort of background check for most cantrips, although I can make one if you want.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Alonsius' shadow slinks across the path like a flat black serpent and opens its eyes with a terrifying suddenness. The air seems to change in the wood, the birdsong falls silent, the rustle of the trees seems to mute, even the breeze grows dead. The bandits recoil from the darkness as it climbs towards them, but when it opens its eyes they react violently. Daggers and swords are drawn and thrust at the shadow. One bandit swings an ax and shatters one of the logs in two with a single blow. The shadow...Alonsius' shadow...shifts as the surface of the ground is broken beneath it, but is not harmed in any way.

"Good Lord..." Cator's voice is not frail with fright, but merely surprised. You make a mental note that your father's man is no stranger to dark magics.

Jamie lowers his mask to reveal gritted teeth as his men attack. He smiles, seemingly unaware that their onslaught has caused no harm.

"From what you're saying I guess you've lost your father. Shame. I mean that. It's rough. But don't think it changes nothing. Remember, I know you, little Lord. Don't forget, I know what a little freak you were all them years ago. I know my facts and my facts is this - maybe some of your old man's mysteries rubbed off on you? That it? What you're doing is just magic and I've seen magic. Plenty of little fancy boys like you have tried to magic me, but none of them have been better at magic than I am with this." He lifts the crossbow and aims it for the wagon. "Now, despite myself, I don't want to hurt you, your majesty. I just want to get paid so me and my boys can get a nice hot meal and maybe someone to share it with. As Lord of the manor, its your money he's handing over. Tell him. Tell him to hand over his purse and me and the boys will be off."

Without warning a full body shiver ripples through Jamie's flesh. He squirms and writhes in clear discomfort as Sebastian's cantrip plays piano down his spine.

The little bastard seems too cocky to be scared off by your magic, but for the moment his crossbow is down and he's not aiming. You might have time to act before he recovers. Whether you use that time to disarm him, charge the half-broken barricade, or rip him to shreds is up to the three of you.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Looks like they were prepared to fight after all. Chopping at a shadow isn't the same thing as attacking a living being but she didn't really wish to see just how far they were willing to go. Maybe they'd be more reasonable if Jamie stopped waving that crossbow around.

Astraea sees her chance as he lowers his weapon. She launches herself into a full sprint and is upon him in an instant, as she reaches him she directs a kick at the crossbow to send it flying then draws a dagger and holds it towards him. She calls out to his underlings. "Drop your weapons, all of you! I don't want to have to hurt you."

She looks the bandit in the eyes. "This is no way to make a living, Jamie. One slip of the finger and you could end up a murderer! If you really need food then we'd be happy to arrange it, but not if you're going to make the roads unsafe to travel. Now, apologize to my brother and uncle Cas and swear that you will never do this again."

Rush Jamie (Astral Cat Burglar + Dex): 1d20+5+4+2 27
Stop being a jerk Jamie! (Charitable Celestial + Cha): 1d20+4+3+2 24

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 27, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius grimaces as Jamie, in his hubris, refuses to back down. But the other bandits were making a terrible mistake, attacking things they don't understand.
"What's wrong, Fenix? You're jumping at shadows!"
The shadow is unaffected by the attacks that dent the ground and break the barricade, but it responds nonetheless. The bandits find their weapons suddenly grabbed by some unknown force and whisked away into the darkness of the forest.

Then Alonsius sees Astraea and Sebastian. He jumps in shock, and the dark shadow disappears nearly as suddenly as it appeared.
"You two, I thought I said to stay... nevermind! The rest of you, surrender, or we shall not be responsible for what comes next!"
Alonsius draws his sword cane, and it makes a ringing sound as it exits its sheath. He steps towards the other bandits, brandishing his sword.

Twisting their attacks on the shadow to make them drop their weapons.
Int + Void Secrets: 1d20+11 28

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

In a rain of steel, the various weapons and implements the bandits wield against the shadow are tossed violently into the air. The bandits yelp and bark in fear, sheltering beneath their arms, only for the weapons to mysteriously vanish, swallowed by the engulfing darkness. Fearing perhaps that they might too suffer the same fate, a large division of their number immediately depart into the woods. Only 3 stay - the man Alonsius recognises as Fenix, a dwarf woman with braided hair, and the large man who had held the axe. They step back, clear of the shadow, but do not retreat entirely.

"What the hell are you doing?" Fenix snaps at Alonsius. "What are you? Jamie, come on!"

He notices that the 'little Lord' is now armed with a cane sabre, and he is unarmed. He bends down and lifts a branch as a makeshift club, but it is a distinctly defensive gesture. Any eagerness the man once had to fight is long gone.

Meanwhile Jamie's crossbow scatters useless into the long grass. He never quite regains his balance from the full-body tremor, instead freezing perfectly still as Astraea gestures the blade towards his chest. Slowly, he lowers his hands and relaxes.

"You need your little baby sister to protect you, boys? Fine. I'll be gone. I meant what I said about your dad Alonsius. He did alot around here and people only remember the bad stuff. He was an alright bloke in my book."

Nervously, Jamie fiddles with his mantle.

"Sorry, fellows. Can't blame a man for trying to get a piece of gold now can you? I'm sure we'll be seeing you again, maybe next time you'll be the ones robbing us. Ta-ra."

Without warning he drops something from his mantle and a cloud of smoke fills the path. Astraea, you hear footsteps and have opportunity to stop him if you desire, but Jamie is retreating. The threat, for the meantime, is over.

---

"Your father told me you had studied a little of his magics," Castor mutters. "I didn't really know to believe him or not..."

"Master Bramford, let us move on. That little detour cost us several moments and my time, as well as your own I'm sure, is precious," Simon calls from inside the wagon.

Castor rolls his eyes and gestures for you to step back inside.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius lowers his sword as the bandits run off. Well, at least that was settled. And for all the violence, Alonsius didn't feel that Jamie would be out for vengeance. He sheathes his sword back in his cane.
"Then we have plenty to talk about, don't we Castor? With as few people as possible, I think."

Alonsius moves to the barricade, one of its main supporting logs already split. As he moves, his shadow still moves, shuddering and riled up. He addresses his two siblings.
"I could have handled it myself. Astraea, this isn't any simple rough housing, those men had weapons and could have hurt you. You should stay with Sebastian, he had the right idea with those cantrips."

Alonsius consider the barricade for a moment, then bends over to where the split log has made it precariously unstable.
"Castorr, Sebastian, come help me with this. And I promise, we'll go over what happened just now, but after we get to the manor."
Alonsius begins to push against the barricade, and with the help of the other two it likely wouldn't take long to move it aside.

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 27, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea lets Jamie run. She doubted that he'd change his ways but at least no one got hurt for now.

She turns around and glares indignantly at her brother. "Alonsius! Did your skin turn so thick that it can deflect crossbow bolts or do you not care at all about what could've happened? We've only been reunited for an hour, I'm not letting you go and get yourself killed!"

She lowers her gaze and looks at the unnaturally moving shadow. "Besides, it wasn't just you I was worried about. What would that thing you're dragging around at your feet have done to them if they hadn't given up? They are people! Just because they've fallen on bad times does not mean that you can just stomp on them like bugs." She crosses her arms and frowns, then starts moving back to the wagon. "You clear that road and think about what you've done, you foolish fool."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius finishes getting the barricade out of the way, dusts his shirt off and rolls his sleeves back down, and walks back to the carriage as well.
"It's under control," he says through gritted teeth, "And I wasn't going to kill them, as much as they might have deserved it."

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Astraea, if he says he knows what he's doing, then he knows what he's doing. I picked up a couple shadow tricks myself, you know. Watch closely..." Sebastian points at his shadow and concentrates hard. Nothing seems to happen. "There! You see that? I made it blink." He looks at his siblings, expectantly. "What, you missed it? Aw, man. Alright, we better get going."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

With the barricade disassembled, the journey up to the manor house is quick and painless.

The horses keep up their pace and the road remains in relatively good condition. The scents of the forest are thick and wet and exotic, the mosses and wild flowers transporting you back to the old days with their perfumes. You break through the end of the woods and emerge halfway up the hill atop which sits the manor. It is a large house in larger grounds and the site appears behemoth from below. Each corner is marked with a stone pillar and a short wall topped with black iron railings run between them. The entrance is a colossal black gate that Castor has to unlock with a set of keys. He sets the horses in a small stable, then leads the three of you and Simon up to the front door of the house.

There is a strangely oppressive atmosphere in the grounds. It's subtle, but you can feel the weight of the air on your chest, the crisp summer heat is replaced with a swampy clinging warmth that is difficult to shift. As you walk into the entrance hall, the huge portrait of Alexander stares down at you. His face is marked with lines and his skin is olive and yellow. His hair sticks out in thick bushes on each side and he is dressed in simple black robes. The eyes of the painting are dull and lifeless and somehow fail to capture the energy you remember in your father. Cator leads you to the dining room and motions for you all to sit. Simon takes out a stack of documents and begins fanning them across the table. Castor stammers for a few moments as he takes a seat, clearly attempting to find the right words.

"Alosius, Sebastian, Astraea. You will forgive me for my silence on the matter so far. Your father left extremely strict instructions and employed Mister Westfield particularly to insure that these instructions were followed to the letter. He wanted you to come up to the house and see things before I told you anything at all, and for that I apologise." Castor takes a seat and lets out a long, sad sigh. "Forgive me if you know all of this, but your father never really explained how much information you were party to. Your father... I've worked for your father for a very long time, since before you were children. I started working for him at 14, by which point my own father had been working for him for many many years. Your father lived an extremely long life and... apologies, I'm being heartless, you must only have one question. Is your father dead? I'm afraid, I do not know. About eight months ago he told me he was soon going to die, seemingly apropos of nothing. He wrote those letters to you and your siblings, settled up some business with Mister Westfield and I, and continued with his work and research. Then ten days ago he came to me whilst I was working in the garden. He told me the time had come. I asked him if I should send for a doctor and he told me it would not be necessary. Then he bade me to give him the key to the family mausoleum. He walked down, unlocked it, then locked it behind him."

He leaves a long pause whilst he stares down at his hands in his lap. Simon Westfield glances up from his documents for a moment, then clears his throat.

"Since then, Master Bramford has heard your father moving around inside the mausoleum. It is an edifice of stone, but he assures me that at night he hears scurrying, scratching noises, shuffling and sometimes howling or gibbering as if some animal is imprisoned within those walls. Your father was a strange man, as I'm sure you can all attest. I confess, I never shared any warmth in my heart for him with Master Bramford, but I acted as his legal counsel for many years and I respected the gentleman if nothing else. When he asked me to write up his final wishes, there were many strange clauses and subclauses and it was out of respect that I did as he asked. His final wishes are winding and complex, but one clause is of particular note." He adjusts his half-moon glasses, scanning a page of the document before him. You glance over, but it is written in a legal script or shorthand of some kind. "If none of my children do return to the house in an effort to resolve the problems outlined previously, then the house is to be destroyed and after a decade, the land sold. The funds raised in doing this are to be distributed between the estates of Simon Westfield and Castor Bramford, though this amount should barely cover the cost of arranging its sale. If one or more of my children return, they are to be instructed as outlined in document 335. Once the complexities of my life have been resolved, my fortune and the manor are to be equally divided by those who return. If at any point in their efforts, they come to the belief that I have not passed away, presuming they are operating under the belief that I have done so, they are to pursue this idea fully and must endeavour with all their vigour to ensure that I am, indeed, dead. For this they are not to be blamed, reported or prosecuted in any way."

He shuffles the papers and removes his spectacles.

"Obviously, legal issues aside, I do not know what ghastly business your father was involved in. I dare say Master Bramford has a better idea than I, but the documents are clear. Your father wishes for you to ensure his demise. I understand this is probably not easy to hear but you'll forgive me if I sound brusk, there are a number of horrifying subclauses in the document your father prepared. This is one of the least disturbing."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius narrows his eyes.
"Of course. Alexander Ostraberg, well, I suppose we can consider him dead for now, though I think I would rather confer with Mr. Bramford regarding that particular sequence of events. But these documents mention a number of problems 'outlined previously'. Pray, what is the scope of these problems?"

He begins to pace around the room.
"Which is nothing to say about these other subclauses. Allow me to entertain some guesses. A clause in the event the mausoleum is forced open by unknown means? A clause should the returning children disappear mysteriously while executing the estate's affairs? In any case, I imagine we shall require your employment for some time longer, if these instructions are as complicated as you say. Are we allowed to examine them as well?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Simon smiles thinly at Alonsius, taking off his glasses and folding them up to sit within his shirt pocket.

"You're clearly a bright lad, so I won't treat you like a dullard. The issues your father outlined to me were myriad and ran the gauntlet from typical legal and inheritance issues to things less boilerplate. Honestly, however, the majority read like the ramblings of a sick old man who is beginning to lose his grip on reality. I would happily go through these issues with you point by point, your father certainly paid me enough in advance, had I not signed an agreement of non-disclose. Your father made it painfully clear that he wished for you to discover any wrongdoing on his part by your own accord, rather than be provided a blow-by-blow account of his misdeeds. If the things he wrote are true, you will have quite a mess on your hands to clear up. It is, however, my professional opinion that this job will probably be much simpler than he seemed to believe. My advice, and feel free to discard it - lots of people do, is that you investigate the mausoleum, deal with any issue there, and then return to the house and wait for a few days. He believed he had visited curses upon his legacy, but like I say, I think it's mostly fantasy. I think most of the problems will sort themselves out."

He slides three sheets forward. They are contracts, each with your names written in cursive in your father's handwriting at the top.

"Feel free to read these but I can provide a summary. By signing these documents you agree to reside here in this house and manage your father's estate and legacy according to his will, for as long a time it seems necessary. Once I, as enforcer of his estate, deem the job done, I will sign the deeds and the remnants of his fortune over to you to be divided equally, in this case, among the three of you. I cannot force any of you to sign these, but I do suggest you do. You can, of course, opt to deal with all this without signing anything, but you will not receive any compensation if you do."

He stands and clears his throat.

"This is a very awkward situation for all of us, and I understand it probably feels as though I'm being obtrusive and unhelpful. Nobody wishes to resolve this issue quicker than I, but my hands are tied by the will of your father. I am merely here to invigilate. Are there any further questions?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

A stunned Astraea slowly lifts her head from the document and starts speaking in a trembling voice. "What? How can you two discuss this with a straight face. Suppose we can consider him dead? How can you say such a thing? Have you all gone mad?" She shoots up to her feet and her chair falls onto the floor with a loud crash. "This paper is evil! How could you ever think we'd sign something like this? This can't be what father had wanted- wants, it's lies! Lies!" She points at Simon. "You did this didn't you! The way you talk about him gives you away. You wanted him out of the picture and now you're trying to get his own children to finish the job? Coward! Snake! Rat! I won't let you get away with it." She sweeps the contract off the table.

"Cas, how could you let him lock himself into the... the mausoleum? He's all alone in that horrible place? Are you not his friend? I hate you!" Her eyes begin to well up. "I'm getting him out of there! I will get him out and then you will apologise to him and... Eight months you've known and you didn't..." Tears start rolling down her face. She turns around and runs away towards the mausoleum.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian stares incredulously at the documents in front of him. "Is this some kind of joke?! Father locked himself in the mausoleum ten days ago, you've been hearing scratches and howls, and we're supposed to go in and make sure he's dead? What the hell is all of this?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Castor is clearly struck by Astraea's outburst. His eyes grow misty and he stammers to find words. When she bursts from the room and heads back out into the grounds, he follows her.

"Miss Ostraberg! Things aren't as simple as all that! I cared deeply for your father!" He cries after her as she storms towards the grey stone building at the rear of the property. A long gravel path cuts through the lawns and leads the way to various parts of the estate, one of which is the cold mausoleum. "Miss Ostraberg, please! Just wait a moment! I won't stop you entering, but you have to be prepared for what you might find. Your father was not an ordinary man! He may well have survived ten days without food, but he may well not be quite how you remember him when you find him! You MUST be careful! Just... just think about why he might have arranged all this!"

---

Simon nods almost appreciatively at Sebastian's comment.

"I understand. It's no joke, thought it is certainly the strangest document I've ever been asked to produce and officiate. Listen, I can't bend from any contract I may or may not have signed, and I have to be extremely careful in what I say here, but... the document asks that you find him and kill him if he isn't how you are expecting him to be. If you get inside the mausoleum and he is still very much alive then you can bring him back here. If that's the case then I suggest we contact a doctor in Forester's Rest and have his health assessed. If he is not as you are expecting him to be, or if you find something down in that crypt that you are not expecting, then you can deal with it. I can't make you sign the contracts, but if you sign them and send them to my office with a note saying that everything is sorted... well I'll have no choice but to believe you."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius is gritting his teeth again.
"It's fairly clear to me, Sebastian. Why simply explain yourself when you could engineer a convoluted chain of events to somehow teach the same lesson? That was always father's way. I suppose that I have simply become adept at reading his needlessly secretive attempts at communication."

The shadows of the room deepen and shudder. Alonsius glares daggers in the painting of Alexander hanging on the wall.
"Thus it falls to us to fix our father's failings on this earth. An ancient madman with the gall to thrust his responsibilities on us and call it a lesson in character. And without even the wherewithal to explain himself in those last moments, even if it could mean the difference between our own life and death."

Alonsius turns, searches the floor for the document with his name on it, and signs it with a flourish.
"I agree to my late father's terms, and accept the responsibility for laying him- I mean his personal affairs- to rest. Come on, Sebastian. Astraea might be in danger."

Alonsius wastes no time and rushes out the door to the mausoleum after his sister.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"If you cared so much then why didn't you stop him? Why didn't you send a letter immediately to us so we could come back and help him with whatever was troubling him? He's my father! He better be out of his mind if he thinks I'm going to let him die alone in some dark tomb!" She tries to wipe the tears out of her eyes to no avail as she continues striding towards the mausoleum.

She pulls hard on the door but it only rattles as the lock keeps it shut. "Why is he doing this?" From the pouch on her belt she draws a set of lock picks and kneels down in front of the door, places the lock picks inside and closes her eyes. "Father..." Tears drop onto the stone as she feels around inside the tumbler and starts picking the pins.

Lockpick Mausoleum (Astral Cat Burglar + Dex): 1d20+5+4+2 23

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Simon smiles with genuine humour.

"I can't imagine that he was easy to live with, your father I mean. Thank you, young man. I will leave the other contracts here, as I said, if Sebastian and Astraea wish to be part of this then they are free to sign them and send them to my office. If you say that this entire business is settled and there are no further issues, complications, or problems remaining, I will believe you and begin drawing up the transferral of estate papers. Good evening."

Leaving two contracts unsigned, Simon stands grandly and makes for the stable. There had been an extra horse when the wagon was taken there, no doubt Simon's own ride back to Forester's Rest.

---

"Miss!" Castor moans in protest. "Your father was a very very old man! I cared for him as a friend, but he was my employer first and when he told me these things it was as if he spoke with clarity for the first time in a long while. He spent most of everyday making strange requests and doing strange things, wishing to die within the mausoleum that houses his ancestors was far from the strangest thing.

He tries to convince you to wait, but hold short of actually grabbing you. As Alonsius comes over the hill, Castor gestures quickly inside.

"Master, your sister has broken in and entered alone. Please make sure she's okay!"

---

The inside of the mausoleum is cool and dry. The sweat on the back of your neck turns chilly and tickles your spine. It is here that the bodies of all those who have served as the landowners of the Ostraberg region are buried. You forget what name Alexander's family... your family... had before four generations ago when they took the land and the name both. The walls are polished stone and although the room is still and silent, there is no dust on any surface. Stone pillars hold up the ceiling and the walls are engraved with symbols that seem to represent different families. Deeper inside you can see stone coffins that hold the bones of the long-dead rulers of centuries gone. Some are topped with ancient swords or shields, with crowns or fragments of what were once probably robes or dresses. These are the remnants of lives from other ages, some perhaps thousands of years old. Peering deeper into the mausoleum you see a doorway leading to stairs that vanish down into the earth. Though the mausoleum building itself is relatively large, it appears that this floor is only one part of it. As you step into the aisle that leads towards the door, you notice a rough gash in one of the pillars. More shocking is the fact that the displaced stone is still drizzling loosely from where it was clawed.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius nods to Castor. At some point he had picked up a lamp and approaches the mausoleum briskly.
"I'll do more than that. You have the key, yes?" He doesn't wait for an answer. "Lock the door behind us, and leave a torch by the exit. After that, get a cold meal ready. I can only hope we'll be back before dawn."

Alonsius strides into the mausoleum, letting the door swing closed behind him. The light of the lamp casts a small, flickering circle on the ground around him, and its not long before he catches up with Astraea. As well as the large gash in the pillar.
"Astraea, we're here. But what do you want to do? Are you sure you want to try to find whatever is in here?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea notices the light creep up on her as she blankly stares at the mark in the pillar. She turns around and faces Al. "Whatever is in here is our father, does that word mean nothing to you? Something bad has happened to him and we need to make it right." Her voice had lost some of its sting as her sorrow and anger was quickly being replaced by apprehension. An icy chill runs through her body and settles in her stomach when she turns back towards the doorway and the pillar. "We can't be too late, we just can't..." Steeling herself she continues towards the door and beyond.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Ah, gods, drat it all!" Sebastian hastily scrawls a signature on his document and runs after Astraea and Alonsius, stopping momentarily before the mausoleum door before rushing inside. He grabs Astraea's arm to stop her from getting any further inside. He looks her in the eyes and, in a rare moment of seriousness and sobriety, tells her, "Astraea, stop, think about this! Father wouldn't have done all of this if something weren't seriously wrong here. I know you want to rush in there and help him, and we do too, but everything about this situation is pointing to him being beyond our help. You can't be so naive to have never heard about lycanthropy, or vampirism, or any number of terrible afflictions along those lines. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to help him, but we have to be cautious here."

He puts his hands on his knees and breathes heavily for a moment. "Alonsius, you have a light? Good. You should lead the way, then."

• Locked thread