Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

"I have not seen your father since he passed through here, but he was Lord of Ostraberg and my duty is not to stop him. Now, answer my question, all three of you, why are you here? What are your intentions? If I judge them true and pure, you may proceed."

With a very minor twist of his wrist, Ser Karys' body language shifts slightly. His stance is now one of a seasoned warrior. You get the impression he will fight you if he feels forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian just looks exasperated with the ghostly knight. "What are we here for? We're here to find our father, and we don't have time for an entrance exam. How long ago did he pass through here? Was there anything wrong with him?"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Ser Kerys looks up at Sebastian with eyes that glow with ghostly light.

"I judge your reasoning to pass through here worthy, proceed. What of you two, Alonsius and Astraea Ostraberg?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Damnable bound spirits.
"I seek the same as my brother, Ser Karys. I wish to find my father, who has locked himself in this place."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea was getting antsy, they needed to continue quickly. "Weren't you listening to what I said? Something has happened to our father and we must save him. I must find him and help him. So please let us pass!"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

With a flick of his wrist, Ser Karys returns his body language to passive and subservient. He takes to his knee before you and presents the flat of his sword.

"Astraea and Alonsius Ostraberg, I judge your reasoning to pass through my protected domain as worthy. I shall be here, if you need me, but until such a time as that arises may you find success in your search. I feel it is my duty as a man of honour to warn you, however. When last I saw your father, he was proceeding with unnatural haste towards the final chamber. He moved with a gait and pace unlike that of which you would expect a man of his age. I merely hope you find him in a state recognisable."

The glowing aura of blue light dim and then fades away, leaving a vague after burn in your retinas.

The final door is not locked. As it creaks open, a foul smell pours forth. The air inside the tombs has been dry and acrid, but this stench is fresher... wetter. Immediately, you hear labored breathing coming from the darkness. Even extending his torch, Alonsius is unable to pick out details in the chamber. It is as if the darkness has grown liquid and oily. The light seems to catch it and reflect, rather than banishing it.

Then one by one a series of torches burst to life around the outskirts of the room. You catch glimpses of circles of blood, of symbols painted in blood on the walls and then dusted with what appears to be chalk or perhaps powdered bone. Three sets of lifeless eyes peer at you from the darkness between torches. In the centre of the room, his wrists chained to the ground, sits your father. His back is hunched and he faces away from you, his body shuddering and twitching slightly. He rests within a complex series of circles, surrounded by melted candles. He moans a quiet, but ongoing note. Slowly, the note turns to words.

"maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhccccchildren...."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alongside puts down the lamp. It wasn't helping here anyway. He steps forward in front of his siblings and examines the symbols, circles, and torches.
His shadow has opened its eyes as well. It flits from place to place, but why it seemed so excited, Alonsius could not tell.
"Father, we're here." He says. "And I see that, despite your protestations, you have steeped yourself in this far more than I could have ever imagined."

Alonsius' face remains a careful blank.
"And it's not even the hypocrisy that is the worst. It's the willful disregard for your children. "I forgive you"? You forgive us for refusing your convoluted teachings? For tiring of your self pity and martyr complex? Well, I'm not here for forgiveness."

Alonsius examines the circles more closely. He remarks to the others.
"Be wary, and don't enter the circles unless you are prepared for something bad to happen."

What's all this then? Int + void secrets: 1d20+11 21

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The hunched over figure nods slowly, something which sends wild twitches travelling down his spine. When he speaks again his voice is clearer, but seems to be coming from the darkness rather than the circle of blood.

"Thank you for coming..." Alexander gurgles. "Alonsius, telling me what I did wrong, even now... Sebastian, stealing a magical crown and not even trying the thing on... and little Astraea, having faith in me until the end."

Alonsius casts a careful eye over the magic circle in the centre of the room. It is faintly glowing with energies passing through it. The melted candles, the manacles, the engulfing darkness, this is all typical dark magic. His highly trained eye spots smaller details, details that suggest the circle is a barrier of protection rather than anything else. You have seen the symbols in the circle in a ring that your father has worn for as long as you can remember, seen some of the symbols carved on the underside of tables in his office, hidden on sheets of paper in the library.

"I have done all I can..." Alexander moans. "But it appears I could not escape death forever...no matter how much I chaaaaaanged."

He turns to face you and your stomachs turn. A long slit runs down Alexander's face and continues down his chest. The skin either side wobbles and flaps wildly like the sails of a boat. His eyes are rolled back in his head so that only the whites are showing and you can see that many of his internal organs are not where you would expect them to be. Then, with a sound like tearing paper, your father's skin writhes open, turning him inside out. Human features give way to multiple skinless faces, additional arms rip their way free of his body and claw at the air. A hoofed leg kicks out of his chest and gropes for the stone floor with a resonating thump and click, but to gain purchase his whole body is thrown forward to hang. You see a single long maw snap open and closed along what was his spine but is now a twisted smile.

And in the darkness, three of his servants spring to action.

Roll initiative!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius narrows his eyes.
"Some last words." he mutters, but he can't help but think. Was this what awaited in his own future? Alonsius readies his sword, but his next words falter.

"Maybe... we should subdue him. I... perhaps I can reverse this. Or at least, I need to try. I must. I can't allow myself to succumb like this."

Initiative: 1d20k1+1 16 whoops screwed up the notation
Initiative: 1d20+1 15 Aight, 16 sticks.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea retches at the hideous display but forces herself to speak. "No, this can't be... Father, please don't let it end like this. Why didn't you call for us sooner. What you've done, is it really irreversible?" She looks down at her feet to avoid having to see more, but the image is burnt into her mind. "No!" She lifts her head resolutely and looks at him without wavering. "I cannot believe that anything you might have done would make you deserve this fate. Father, no matter what you've done I still love you and I will not give up!"

Initiative: 1d20+6 10

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Oh, gods, this is worse than anything I could have imagined." Sebastian eyes Alonsius's shadow nervously and scoots just a tiny bit away from it. "Subdue? Are you crazy? Look at that. That's not our father. Not anymore."

Initiative: 1d20+6 8
Initiative roll #2, why do I always forget quick to fight: 1d20+6 10

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The darkness grows thicker, leaving islands of light marked by the torches on the floor. A series of ridges and flaps on Alexander's back flutter like the underside of some hideous sea creature.

Initiative=1d20+4=12

The Shadow Demons hide within darkness and CAN be targeted, but cannot be engaged with, whilst in the shadow.

Initiative
16 Alonsius 32/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
12 Alexander 44/44 AC 19 PD 16 MD 18
12 Shadow Demon 38/38 AC 18 PD 17 MD 13
10 Astraea 32/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13
8 Sebastian 36/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12
+0 Escalation Die

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

"Stay strong! Focus!" Alonsius shouts. "It doesn't matter what he's done to himself, but these shadow servants need to fall first. Stick to the light if you can!"
Alonsius readies his sword, and the shadow beneath him shudders. Alonsius thinks... perhaps his own servant could be useful here...

Gain Focus, stay put.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
Stats		At-Will		Recharge		Daily
HP 36/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[ ]Shadow Form
AC 15		Moment of Karma	[x]Inevitable Fall (16+)
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[ ]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 9/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: Yes
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+4

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Alexander turns and tries to move, only to find his wrists still shackled to the ground with the rusty manacles. The long mouth across his spine breathes a wet, slimy breath, and then the withered human hands still hanging below simply turn to mush and fall away to puddle on the ground. Trailing slime, his human limbs flail free of the chains and the monstrous creature runs trots to the very edge of the light. Bending its 'knees', it leans forward and launches a psychic attack at Alonsius. Watching the undulating sacks of flesh and rippling nerves atop the creatures 'head', causes a wave of emotional distress to ripple throughout the Ostraberg siblings.

Whilst they are staring at their father in the halo of light in the centre of the room, the demons swirling through the darkness launch a barrage of attacks. You are vaguely aware of them, snapping and swooping around you, and then three bone javelins are launched into the light. One hits Sebastion, two hit Astraea. Once they have struck, the missiles begin to darken until they are made of the shadows themselves, then evaporate. It appears the creatures of shadow do not like the light at all.

Alexander Vs Alonsius MD: 1d20+10 30 Crit! for 20 damage! Sorry!
Shadow Demon Vs Sebastion AC: 1d20+5 21 Hit! 6 damage!
Shadow Demon Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+5 17 Hit! 6 damage!
Shadow Demon Vs Astraea AC: 1d20+5 17 Hit! 6 damage!

The Shadow Demons hide within darkness and CAN be targeted, but cannot be engaged with, whilst in the shadow.
Emotional Vulnerability causes a -3 to all attacks, defences and saves. Can be saved against at the end of each turn, but the -3 effects this.

Initiative
16 Alonsius 12/36 AC (12) PD (9) MD (13) Emotional Vulnerability
12 Alexander 44/44 AC 19 PD 16 MD 18
10 Astraea 20/32 AC (13) PD (13) MD (10) Emotional Vulnerability
8 Sebastian 30/36, AC (13) PD (11) MD (9) Emotional Vulnerability

+0 Escalation Die

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Oh, this is all so very wrong." Sebastian nervously begins humming an elvish song of valor as he swings wildly at the darkness. Hopefully the song will inspire the others more than it's inspiring himself.

Using song of heroes, everyone gets +1 to hit for as long as I can sustain it.
Moving to the edge of the darkness if necessary. Not anywhere close to Alexander
MBA on first shadow demon vs AC: 1d20+6-3 6 Nope. 2 miss damage. Forgot the song of heroes bonus for this but it doesn't matter.
Save vs emotional vulnerability: 1d20-3 7

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
Stats		Battle Cries (Trigger)		Spells (Recharge, Daily)
HP 30/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[/]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
AC 16		Move it!(Even)			[X]Soundburst (D)	
PD 14		Stay Strong!(16+)		[ ]Charm Person (D)
MD 12						[ ]Utility Spell (D)
Recoveries 6/8 (2d8+2)			
Initiative +6				Cantrips
					Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
MBA: Scimitar +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Song of Heroes: You and your nearby allies gain a +1 attack bonus. Quick action to sustain, 11+
Emotional Vulnerability: -3 to attacks, defenses, and saves.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius can't help but stare at what used to be his father. But suddenly, something rears up. Alonsius' own shadow seems to overtake him, and for a second, you think you see a dark creature standing, and a human's shadow on the ground. The room is filled with a keening roar, and Alonsius takes back his form.

"This is nothing! The ravings of an uncontrolled beast! Stay strong, you two, I'll try to protect you."

Alonsius begins to use a spell to direct the psychic blast back at Alexander.
"drat you, Alexander. But I will surpass you. I will not become you!"
Still somewhat desperate, Alonsius charges forward, hoping to keep the beast's attentions on him, and not his weakened siblings.

Triggering Otherworldly Shadow from Alexander's attack! All damage and effects are negated, though its your ruling whether only I get to avoid emotional duress, or everyone does.

edit: only one interrupt per round! welp.

Now for my actual turn:
Karmic Rebuke on Alexander, Karmic Rebuke vs MD: 1d20+6 25 hits 1d6+3 7 damage
Unwinding Alexander's Soul, he is vulnerable to all my attacks.
Gain Focus
Move to engage Alexander

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 34/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[ ]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 9/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: No
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+4

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 3, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

"Father..." Astraea closes her eyes and a tear traces its way down her cheek. "...You will be saved. We will end these demons that haunt you and set you free!" She opens her eyes which are now radiating starlight and the shimmering aura appears around her yet again.

She draws a throwing knife from her leg strap and flicks it off into the shadows then sprints to the torch closest to her and takes it it towards the center of the room. "A wise lady once said, 'If you keep your face to the sunshine you can see never see the shadow.' Listen to those words and don't lose yourselves in darkness."

Activate Halo, +2 to defenses until I get hit.
Shadow Walk: 1d20+5+1 9 vs Alexander's MD, miss! But I regain my move action since I have the feat.
Flying Blade vs first Shadow Demon: 1d20+6+1 20 vs AC, hit! 2d8+4 12 Damage.
Gain momentum.

Move to bottom right torch and then move that torch towards the center of the room, but not close enough to engage Alexander.

If I get hit by an attack targeting AC, Roll With It (spend momentum to only take half damage).

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

Stats		Per Battle		Powers (Momentum)
HP 20/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16(+2)	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16(+2)					Evasive Strike
MD 13(+2)					Flying Blade
Recoveries 6/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Initiative +6				Sure Cut (M)
Momentum: Yes				Tumbling Strike

Daggers +6 vs AC — 2d8+4 Damage

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The mental onslaught is devastating, but Alonsius has powerful dark magics of his own. Weaving his own shadowy powers, his envelops his father's spell in his own, then sends it spiralling out into the aether. He retaliates with a burst of karmic violence that rips through his father's mental defences and strikes at the very centre of the mass.

"Alooooooonsius..." a voice gurlges. "Alooooooooonsius..."

Sebastian swings his sword into the darkness and feels the very tip prickle against...something, but he can feel from the weight that he has failed to land a true hit. The darkness ripples and oozes around his sword as he plucks it free.

Astraea grabs a torch and brings it closer to her father, bridging the gap in the darkness and creating a walkway. As she moves, the darkness closes behind her. For a second, the torchlight catches one of the shadow demons and though she only catches the briefest glimpse of leathery wing, it is quickly turned to ash and a horrific scream rings out against the stone. It is forced back towards the northwest corner of the room, leaving the south east corner safe. The dagger she launches into the shadows hits something, and the scream grows even more vicious.

Alexander dips forward like a show horse bowing to The Emperor. His mouth opens and a gigantic spike of bone, tipped with a groping claw, drives forward in a shower of blood and swings for Alonsius' face but fails to land.

From the west and the north of the room, three more bone javelins are tossed from the shadows. By the time they land they are already turning to ash.

Alexander Vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+8 11 Miss!
Shadow Demon Vs Ast AC: 1d20+6 25 hit! 3 damage!
Shadow Demon Vs Seb AC: 1d20+6 23 hit! 6 damage!
Shadow Demon Vs Alonsius AC: 1d20+6 26 crit! Again! 12 damage!

Emotional Vulnerability causes a -3 to all attacks, defences and saves. Can be saved against at the end of each turn, but the -3 effects this.
The grey area is free of Shadow Demons.

Initiative
16 Alonsius 20/36 AC 15 PD 12 MD 16
12 Alexander 37/44 AC 19 PD 16 MD 18
12 Shadow Demon 1 24/38 AC 18 PD 17 MD 13
12 Shadow Demon 2 38/38 AC 18 PD 17 MD 13
12 Shadow Demon 3 38/38 AC 18 PD 17 MD 13
10 Astraea 17/32 AC 16 PD 16 MD 13
8 Sebastian 24/36, AC 16 PD 14 MD 12

+1 Escalation Die

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

The air stops shimmering around her as she is struck by the javelin but she manages to shift slightly so that it only grazes her. That wing turned into ash? So it's not just their weapons that are vulnerable to the light. Oh, of course! "Seb, the light hurts them! Let's herd them up into a corner, you take the your side of the room, I got the other! Al, stay safe!"

While running to grab the next torch she throws another knife, but this time against the hideous beast that held her father's spirit captive and threatened her brother.

Flying Blade vs Alexander: 1d20+6+1+1 19 vs AC, hit! Natural odd roll, no sneak attack.
Flying Blade damage: 2d8+4 14 Damage.
Gain momentum.

Move to the torch near the wall on the east side of the room and take it up and left to clear out the north east corner if possible.

If I get hit by an attack targeting AC, Roll With It (spend momentum to only take half damage).

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 17/32	[X] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16   	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 6/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Momentum: Yes				Tumbling Strike

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"We need to focus on the...thing in the circle!" Sebastian continues humming the tune, slightly more confidently now that he's seen that they can deal with the shadow creatures. He moves around, sticking to the light, to stand next to Alonsius. He nods to his brother, and careful not to scuff up the circle, steps into it to strike at Alexander. Unfortunately, the sight in front of him is so terrible that Sebastian can't help but close his eyes, which does not due very much for the accuracy of his attack.

Song of Heroes Sustain (11+): 1d20 11 Sustained!
Moving just north of Alonsius.
MBA on Alexander vs AC: 1d20+8 11 2d8+4 17 2 miss damage.

pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 24/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[/]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 6/8 (2d8+2)			

Song of Heroes: You and your nearby allies gain a +1 attack bonus. Quick action to sustain, 11+

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 4, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

The fight has Alonsius' blood pumping. Adrenaline surges through his veins as he dodges the freakish bone spike, then counters with a sword thrust. His shadow races up his sword to leave another gash in the beast, and Alonsius finds himself greatly invigorated.

"Ha ha! And I thought the swordfighting classes were trite."
Alonsius releases another shadowy blast, leaving Alexander on the brink of death. Alonsius lowers his guard for a moment.

"Whatever controls you, whatever dark beings you've sold your soul to, I can see, they are not all powerful. Sleep, Alexander. Sleep and dream of your misspent fatherhood. I will show you how to make something of this dark power."

Alexander's miss triggers Bitter Lessons!
Bitter Lessons vs MD: 1d20+8 21 hits 2d6+3 12 damage to Alexander! I also get 12 THP!
Hewer, Alexander also gets 2 ongoing damage (save ends)
I retain focus!

My actual turn...
Karmic Rebuke vs MD: 1d20+6+3 18 hits 1d6+3 7 damage to Alexander
Hewer puts an additional 2 ongoing on Alexander
Then I miscalculated and thought I'd need to throw in a MBA... so that's why that roll is there. But instead.
Disengage: 1d20 6 fails
Gain Focus, which draws an OA, but I'll risk it.

By my calculations, Alexander is at 2 hp and will necessarily be taken to 0 by the ongoing damage. I'd like to knock him unconscious with it.

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 20/36 (12)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[X]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 9/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: Yes
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+3

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 4, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

A dagger slices through the air and is embedded within the warped flank of Alexander's strangely equine body. A frothy foam of spittle gathers along his spine and drips down either side of his body.

"Chiiiiiiildren.... chiiiiiildren..."

Meanwhile, Astraea plucks the torch from the wall and drives the shadow demons back to the west of the room. As she brings the torch forward, they retreat with screeching squeals like those of pigs or rodents.

Sebastian and Alonsius flank their father from both sides and attack. Alexander is able to defend himself against the younger son's assault, mostly by being so repulsive that he cannot look upon him. Alonsius, on the other hand, does not fear the unnatural and delivers a brutal attack. On the very bring of conciousness, Alexander's monstrous form glances up at Sebastian with milky eyes.

"Soooooon...." it mutters. Then its eyes narrow with rage and Seb feels a violent pain inside his head. Just as his nose starts bleeding, the creature stumbles, collapses to one knee, then keels over. It is alive, but it is not well.

1d20+10=21 hit Sebastian for 10hp and inflicts Emotional Vulnerability... but combat ends and it goes away!

As Alexander passes out, the torches begin to illuminate the room properly. The thick darkness retreats and dim light fills the room. On the very outskirts you hear screams and yelps of agony as impossibly thin, impossible tall humanoid figures claw at the western wall as the light burns through them.

You glance down at the circle. Breaking it, rubbing or washing away the blood will break the spell it is maintaining, but it does not appear to be the route of your father's transformation.

Combat over! What now?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius sheathes his sword.
"Don't touch the circle. It's a circle of protection, likely made by father to keep him from running rampant throughout the mausoleum."

Alonsius quickly takes a piece of chalk from his pocket and paces around the room.
"Its done well enough, there can be no doubting his skill in these matters." Alonsius adds what additional protections he can. You note Alonsius' shadow seems to simply end unnaturally at the circle's edge.

"And if you haven't already guessed, the reason I was exiled from the manor was because I dabbled in the same magic, using secret tomes our father had tried to keep hidden from us. This thing," Alonsius gestures at the thing staring at you from his feet. "I imagine it has the same pedigree as the servants that just attacked us."

Alonsius closes his eyes and tries to extend his senses, to understand more about Alexander's disgusting transformation.
"Which means, yes, this might be my future as well. But if I can reverse this, if I can save Alexander, then I can prevent this from happening to me as well."

Recovery: 2d6+2 8, than another one at average to get to full.
Recharge rolls: 2#1d20 1 4 nope for both

Knowledge check all day (Void Secrets + Int): 1d20+11 28 What sort of protections are in place? Is anything left of Alexander? What is making him so violent? Are those shadow servants dead, or dead dead?

pre:
Alonsius Ostraberg
HP 36/36 (00)	Better Yet, Here[ ]Timely Mistake (6+)	[x]Shadow Form
PD 12		Karmic Rebuke	[X]Bitter Lessons (16+)
MD 16		
Recoveries 7/9 (2d6+2)		Focus: Yes
Melee: 1d20+6+ED; 2d8+3

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

There are some strange choices in the protection wards and many appear to be doubled-up or reversed in various ways. Whilst you only have a very very limited idea of your father's magical abilities and interests, the rumours alone paint him as far more capable than this work suggests. A man of Alexander's knowledge would not have thought two identical circles would be twice as... and then your realise why they are there. The smaller, weaker spells are indeed set up to keep Alexander at bay, but there are far thicker and more complex wards in place to keep something else out.

Alexander is literally attempting to keep death out of the circle.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"Alonsius, just because Alexander is beyond saving doesn't mean that you are. There's still time. You've only been dabbling for years, and he spent his lifetime doing this. If he couldn't figure out how to save himself, how could we possibly do it?" Sebastian gestures at the horrible, misshapen form. "Those things came out of his body. He gave himself entirely to them. There's nothing left of our father in this. I think, deep down, we all know what we need to do here."

Sebastian grabs the nearby torch and stands beyond the circle, preparing to toss it in.

Taking two average recoveries which should put me back up to full. Song of Heroes Recharge (11+): 1d20 4 :rip:
pre:
Sebastian Ostraberg
HP 36/36	[ ]Pull it Together!(11+)	[X]Song of Heroes (R:11+)
Recoveries 4/8 (2d8+2)			

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

So that was why he was sent away. If this was the fate of those who dedicate themselves to that magic she was glad that father exiled him, who knows what would have happened if he had access to the rest of the books without knowing what could happen. "Yes... I figured that your shadow wasn't just some magic trick, Al. But whatever happened to father is recent. Listen to Seb, I'm sure you won't end up like this just because you borrowed one of his books."

She looks at the torch in Sebastian's hand then back to Alonsius. "Do you really think you can turn this thing back to our father? He must be in so much pain trapped in there..."

Recovery: 2d8+2 15 HP Recovered. Praised be orokos, exactly what I needed!

pre:
Astraea Ostraberg

HP 32/32	[ ] Halo		Shadow Walk
AC 16   	[ ] Swashbuckle		Thief's Strike	
PD 16					Evasive Strike
MD 13					Flying Blade
Recoveries 5/8 (2d8+2)			Roll With It (M)
Momentum: No				Tumbling Strike

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius continues to stare at what remained of their father.
"I... I don't know if Alexander can be saved. For that matter, I don't know if I can be saved. When I returned, I had hoped to look through everything father left, in the hopes that it could describe a way to reverse this process. But is it even possible? I don't know. Perhaps it is, but Alexander refused it in his madness to extend his life in such a way."

Alonsius turns to Astraea and Sebastian.
"You're right. It would be crueler to try to keep him alive like this. But I must know, would you do the same for me, if it came to it?"

Alonsius turns to the ritual circles, and finds the outward facing one, the one attempting to keep out death.
"At least I can take comfort in this, I never feared the long dark as much as father did."
That said, he draws his sword, and makes a slash through the circles meant to keep death from Alexander.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The second that the circle is broken, you feel the atmosphere inside the tomb change. The still air whispers around for a moment as a chill breeze makes it way across the back of your necks. A few sections of the wall are briefly touched with frost.

You never see death. Not exactly. But you do feel something moving through. You can't interact with it, can only just sense it at all if you concentrate. The slumped monstrous form in the centre of the circle twitches a little, or maybe it's just your imagination. Then, as quickly as it arrived, the presence is gone. Alexander Ostraberg, forth in his familial line to take the land and title of Lord, is dead. There is still the matter of what you wish to do with the body. Much of what was your father is still salvageable from the beastly form. You can probably gather some bones to bury if such a thing is important to you and you have the fortitude to do so. You could arrange to have the whole thing buried - its dead now, and not coming back. Otherwise, burning the monster's corpse seems like a fairly solid option.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

"It won't come to that, Alonsius. But if it does..." Sebastian nods solemnly. He then tosses his torch onto the monster's corpse.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The torch lands atop the monster's body and bursts to life with an unexpected and inexplicable vigour. The flames rage bright and hot, bathing your faces in their glow and sending shadows dancing across the walls of the tomb. The flesh of the monster turns dark, then begins melting before they can turn black. The meat is fatty and wet and spreads in a thick puddle that sizzles and spits. As the final remnants of meat fall from the bones, you are left with a distorted and malformed skeleton that crumples apart. As the last of the flame dies out, the burst of cold wind pours from the room. You hear it rolling through the outer tombs and vanishing through the gaps in the roof through which the bats poured. Even death itself waited to make sure that Alexander Ostraberg was dead.

"Well done, Ostraberg children," a voice echoes from the doorway. Ser Karys stands just out of the doorway, his body glowing with a faint light. His sword is sheathed and he looks around the chamber, settling on the bones. "You did something that needed doing, as it is true. You should be proud of yourselves, as it is true. Many people could not have done what you did."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius largely ignores Ser Karyl.
"It doesn't make it any easier on our parts, spirit. And I hope to never need to return for a long, long time."

Alonsius walks out of the mausoleum, nearly stepping through Karyl, and heads for the exit.
"I'm going to see of Castor has finished our food, then I'm getting a strong wine."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea watches in quiet contemplation as the embers begin to die out. She hopes that his last thoughts were hopeful and loving, that his long struggle was finally over and that he could be set free. She thinks that what they had met down here was not their father, he had passed away in earnest before they got to the mansion. Some scraps of his mind had remained, maybe even a fragment of his sanity but the shadows he dealt with had twisted everything else and would not let him die.

She kneels down inside the circle and sweeps up the ashes into a pouch. "Father should not have to be buried here in the dark, he has spent far too long being tormented by shadows. I think that he should rest somewhere above ground. Is it selfish of me to want his ashes spread over Starfall lake? I'm hoping that the stars will keep him company when the night falls and that maybe my other parents up there somewhere will watch over him."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Ser Karys steps aside at Astraea's words and gestures towards the entrance with one hand. He seemingly has no problem with the ashes or bones being removed.

"Good luck, sons and daughter of Alexander Ostraberg. Being as I am, in this form, I see things that exist beyond the basic veil. My sight is not limited to the merely mortal. I see great things for you three, as I say it, it is true. I bid that you remember where you come from, and stay honest to where you wish to go. I am content that there is no threat to these ancestral tombs. I am away."

The glowing form shrinks into a ball and then blinks out of existence, waiting until he is needed once again.

---

The three of you return to the house with cuts and bruises, but also your lives. You see Castor through the great window at the front of the house, pacing nervously back and forth. The table is set and mountains of simple, yet hearty, food are spread across it. There are four places set at the table, and he anxiously wrings his hands as he sees you approach. He nods sadly, but with a sense of reluctant acceptance, then begins packing one of the places away.

"Welcome back, children," he says. His voice is low and calm. "Please, come through and sit. We should probably talk."

As you sit, Castor brings a wheeled cart topped with multiple bottles. You see a bottle you remember your father drinking when you were younger, a ruby port as thick as syrup and sweet as honey. There are many other bottles though: Elven wine in dark glass, heavy pots of mead and beer, a dusty bottle of rum with a gold stopper. He offers you whatever you desire, then motions to the plates of food and suggests you help yourself to anything you wish. There is dark heavy bread with pots of jam and thick slabs of butter; bunches of purple grapes draped across honeyed cake loaves; stacks of game meat and turkey breast with mustards and spices.

Castor takes a seat, though he neither eats nor drinks. Once the three of you are settled, he clears his throat. He never even asks for confirmation that your task has been completed.

"I served your father for a very long time," he says. "To this day, I'm not even entirely sure if we were friends or not, but we were extremely close. I have only the very slightest clue of how deep the rot he brought upon himself went, but I know that it was exceptionally deep. This house, the grounds, the whole of Ostraberg and even you and your siblings have been irreversibly contaminated by his actions. I can't force you to do anything, but I ask you to consider the following seriously. I know Simon wants this whole thing to go away as quickly as possible, and I'm sure that a few hours ago that was a very appealing concept, but from the look of you three, you have seen a little of what is in store here. I don't know what else you have got going on in your lives or how much time and energy you have to donate to this, but I firmly believe, as did your father, that this will not simply go away. He cast a long shadow, your father, and however far you run or roam, I am concerned that you will struggle to escape it."

Castor awkwardly fingers the tablecloth.

"My advice is this. Stay a while. Regain control of the manor, the county, and yourselves. It may take a few months, perhaps a year, perhaps several. You already have the name, and there is precedent for inheritance of the title. You three could rule this county and repair the damage done."

He glances up, attempting to read the mood of the room.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sebastian stays unusually quiet and sullen as they make their way back to the house and their feast, and drinks far more booze than he probably should. When Castor speaks, however, Sebastian looks worried. "What do you mean, 'irreversibly contaminated'? I never had anything to do with any of this until today. How could I be contaminated, by anything?"

quote:

"My advice is this. Stay a while. Regain control of the manor, the county, and yourselves. It may take a few months, perhaps a year, perhaps several. You already have the name, and there is precedent for inheritance of the title. You three could rule this county and repair the damage done."

Sebastian laughs. "And you want us to run a county? I can't even get a degree. From anywhere. There's no way I'm qualified for this."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius spends the meal eating little and nursing a glass of wine while staring at the table. He doesn't move while Castor says his part, and only responds to Sebastian's words.

"More qualified than father was." he mutters under his breath. He hasn't had nearly as much wine as Sebastian, but he's already beet red.

"Gods above, what else is there? Is Sebastian about to manifest his own shadowy servant? Is there a secret dungeon filled with captured maidens? Frankly, I'm tired of this. Simon didn't want to tell us what was going on. Did you have any insights into whatever problems plague this place?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"I... I'm sorry, maybe I have said too much. I suppose this isn't really any of my business," Castor mutters. "Your father messed with things that he didn't understand. If he didn't understand them and dedicated his entire life to them, how do you think I could ever hope to understand them? I was never educated properly. I can read, and write my letters neatly enough, but I'm no scholar. I know you're aware your father was an elderly man, but do you know how old? Neither do I. Nobody seems to. He was an old man when he adopted you. He was an old man when I started working for him forty five years ago. He has always been an old man. He was using magic to extend his life as long as possible, and not just whatever shadow magics you may have seen. He dabbled in everything. I'm sure you'll think me some uneducated bumpkin, but my father always told me that when you mess with the unnatural, you have to pay a price somehow. Your father messed with the unnatural in every possible field and he held off in that payment for as long as he could. He alone knows what he did to conjure the sort of raw powers you'd need to hold off death for so long... but I think the payment was this place, the people of Ostraberg...and you."

He stands up and walks over the drinks cart, pouring himself a stiff sherry. He drinks it quickly, then pours another and goes to stand at the window. The summer day has become sickeningly still and although the big house keeps you cool, it chills the sweat from outside and leaves you feeling sticky and shivery.

"Have you ever known a gambler? Someone who likes the make bets on the cards and dice, but also on the horse races? On bar fights? On stick-it in Axis? On dwarven investments? My father was such a man. Sure, sometimes he'd win, quite often in fact, but he was always running from someone, always hiding. He'd play a good game of neighbour's chance in town and come home with pockets full of gold coins. He'd smile and flick one or two to me and my sister, then kiss my mother and pour a handful into her pockets, but most of the time he had to use that gold to pay off a fellow he'd lost dominoes to the week before. When you gamble like that, across multiple fronts, you're always using whatever you get to stay just ahead of the people who you owe. I think that's how things were with your father. Sometimes, at night, these dark giant shapes roam the gardens. People from the village disappear. Strange people come to the house one strange days where the weather feels odd or the animals on the farms are all misbehaving. But your father kept everything in balance. He was balancing all these things, and all the lesser wizards and strange things in the county knew that he was in charge. There's going to be a power vacuum with his passing, things will probably get worse instead of better. And now he's dead, everything he owes a debt to will want to claim it. With him gone, it is you and the people of Ostraberg who will have to pay."

He sighs heavily as he sips his drink and looks out over the garden.

"I don't know what's going to happen to you. Or me. Or anyone else. You're right, you don't deserve any of this. You've done nothing to deserve any of this. You can probably just leave and live your lives, it may well be years before the repercussions come for you."

Through the window, down by the front gate, you see a strange group of figures dragging a wagon. It is too far a distance to make them out in detail, but they appear to be dressed in patchwork robes. They push and pull the wagon as a group to the front of the gate, then pull a lever that tilts the body. Something dead and very heavy, perhaps the corpse of a cow, slides from the wagon and lands in a heap of gore at the base of the gate. Then the figures start back away, heading towards the woods.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Alonsius Ostraberg

Alonsius looks out the window, sighs, and downs his glass.
"And I suppose its too much to hope that this is simply the beef delivery?"

Alonsius gets up, stumbles somewhat, checks he has his cane-sword, and heads for the front door.
"Well, if all his debtors come calling, then far be it for me to rebuff them. Come then, lets see to what end our father put us up for collateral."

He heads outside to where the body of, hopefully, a cow lay on the front lawn.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Astraea Ostraberg

Astraea stands up to follow, having eaten with such vigor that she had hardly found the time to speak. It had been so long since she had eaten delicious cooking like this and it helped her take the mind off things, especially the sweets. But now she could feel the words bubbling up within her, despite — or maybe because of — the dreary mood around the table.

"Castor, I'm sorry I was so harsh on you before, I know you're not to blame for father's actions, not more than the rest of us anyway. I've always looked the other way when I saw him being up to odd things and I've made myself forget so many peculiar things, but if what you're saying is true then we might've all been too late to stop it. But we are not too late to set his legacy right! I will stay here until Ostraberg is what it is supposed to be. Not a place ruled by shadow and despair but a bright and happy place to live."

She plucks some grapes from a cluster and shoves them in her mouth. "Come on Seb, what's a degree anyway? Just a piece of paper with some stuffy old self important man's doodles on it. You figured out what was on that crown in the mausoleum, you can't say you haven't learned anything while you were away. I've seen many places ruled by so called qualified people and most of them do not seem to care one bit about the people under their protection, they are only out for power for themselves. This is our land and together we can do this better than anyone else!"

"Hey Al, I was speaking, wait for me!" She snatches another couple of grapes then steps outside to see what happened at their gate.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Sebastian Ostraberg

Sockerbagarn posted:

"Come on Seb, what's a degree anyway? Just a piece of paper with some stuffy old self important man's doodles on it."
"Yes, but unfortunately, those stuff old self important men seem to be in charge of an awful lot, and they place great importance on their doodles. Besides, some of my best times were spent in the pursuit of a degree! I appreciate your sentiment, though." As the commotion occurs outside, Sebastian sighs. "Oh, what is this fresh new problem?" He reluctantly gets up and heads outside to investigate, but not before grabbing a bottle of wine to keep him company during the long, long walk outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

By the time the three of you arrive at the gate, the wagon and most of the figures accompanying it have moved on and back into the shadowy recesses of the woodlands. There is one figure who stays behind, watching you as you make your way up the lawn towards them.

"They've done it a few times," Castor calls out after you. He breaks into a slow jog to catch up, his face red from sherry and exertion. "Best bet is to just leave them to it."

As you get closer, you realise that the waiting figure is not the human you originally took them for. Long robes of thick patchwork weave around a body that is tall, muscular, and sinewy. Dark mandibles extend from beneath the hood, clicking together and weaving in cycles. Their arms are dark and leathery, their hands a cross between human digits and clawed animal pincers.

"We thought it only natural to pay our respectssss..." a voice hisses from below the hood. Eight eyes regard you from within the hood. Her voice is like a cat scratching at a wooden door.

• Locked thread