Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
If you are completely submerged in water and piss will the water level rise
Yes it will
It will not
View Results

• Locked thread
Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you are completely submerged in water and piss will the water level rise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
my dick will
:flaccid:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

if you are lying on your back this will always happen. When not filled with blood dicks are vacuums which will float well.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it will but then again, im a treadmill

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
did your bladder displace any of the water priorhand? in no, then the water level will rise

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

quakster posted:

did your bladder displace any of the water priorhand?

Thats really the heart of the question

e: The bladder is inside your body i think it displaces water on account of being in your body which is displacing water

Isaac fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 25, 2015

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Important question : are you breathing?
Also, what ratio of water and piss?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Isaac posted:

Thats really the heart of the question

e: The bladder is inside your body i think it displaces water on account of being in your body which is displacing water

Full or empty, your bladder isn't displacing water outside of your body, so pissing in the water should raise the water level. Its like putting a solid container of fluid into water - if you drain the fluid into the water, the water level rises, because the container stays the same size, the water is replaced by empty space inside it. The outside dimensions of the container/your body remains the same.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

The B_36 posted:

Full or empty, your bladder isn't displacing water outside of your body, so pissing in the water should raise the water level. Its like putting a solid container of fluid into water - if you drain the fluid into the water, the water level rises, because the container stays the same size, the water is replaced by empty space inside it. The outside dimensions of the container/your body remains the same.
The landing wheels spin twice as fast. You are an idiot. The truck weighs the same when the pigeons are flying.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

staberind posted:

Important question : are you breathing?
Also, what ratio of water and piss?

You arent breathing because you cant do that underwater. The water is already a mix of water and piss, its not important how much.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

The B_36 posted:

If i eat a peach while submerged will the water level lower?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Sanctum posted:

The landing wheels spin twice as fast. You are an idiot. The truck weighs the same when the pigeons are flying.

I....dont know what any of this means. Except the 'idiot' part, which may be true.

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

No, it will not rise. Your bladder cannot sustain a pure vacuum, it contracts and all the organs around your bladder will fill in the area. It might rise a tiny bit, but I wouldn't think it would be more than 5% of the volume added to the water.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Isaac posted:

if you are lying on your back this will always happen. When not filled with blood dicks are vacuums which will float well.

If only humans were made of dicks. We could just float across the ocean.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
of course it will you idiot unless you think your body's external dimensions will reduce in direct proportion to you peeing

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
it also depends on the solubility of your piss in the water

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

of course it will you idiot unless you think your body's external dimensions will reduce in direct proportion to you peeing

it does

Un chien andalou posted:

it also depends on the solubility of your piss in the water

no,

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

you lose some mass but the volume your body is occupying hardly changes. you might try to be all "gotcha but you'll float al ittle higher!!!" but thats seriously besides the point and nobody likes a trick question

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

you lose some mass but the volume your body is occupying hardly changes. you might try to be all "gotcha but you'll float al ittle higher!!!" but thats seriously besides the point and nobody likes a trick question

will test later, drinking entire 2liter of coke right now

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
skip the water part and just lean back and piss directly into your mouth in the bathtub

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
depends if the bottom of the container the water is in is a treadmill and the walls are turntables and you are a colossal human being

all these variables matter

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

i really have to pee, so what I'm gonna do is fill my bath with water and lay in it and pee in the water once its just about to flow over the edge and see if it flows over, this probably wont work because of the surface tension but if it happens then case closed

will post results in like 20 minutes

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What if you're fully submerged in piss and you drink some, will the level go down?

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

i peed into the bath tub and nothing happened

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

HENGRY BUNG posted:

i peed into the bath tub and nothing happened

u still in there?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it makes the bathwater warm again

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

social vegan posted:

u still in there?

no,

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The B_36 posted:

no retard because the additional weight inside the container makes it displace more water than it otherwise would have

like when a cargo ship is lower in the water when it is full.

otherwise melting ice would make all your poo poo overflow all the time

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

o

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

ya

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Moridin920 posted:

no retard because the additional weight inside the container makes it displace more water than it otherwise would have

That's why he specified completely submerged.

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

if i have two rocks of identical size but one is heavier they both displace the exact same amount of water and therefore push the same amount of water over the edge regardless of weight, as long as the entire volume is submerged. If it is buoyant the heavier thing will have more of it's volume submerged and basically what the nerd above me said

HENGRY BUNG fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 25, 2015

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
the water would rise

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
omg

lets make this easy for you smarties

chain a human being to the bottom of a large container full of water so that only the persons head is above water

have that person piss himself (or herself :wink:)

the water will rise.

mass makes a floating object displace more water because its simply heavier. in this case, it has zero relevance when a person is touching the bottom of the container, or bathtub, or as the title suggests : completely submerged since all the volume the person takes up in the water is maxed out so to speak

the only way the water wouldnt rise is if a cavity forms on the outside of your body when you take a piss, to account for the volume being expelled by your genitals. since that doesnt happen on any healthy human being, the water will rise.

the only possible way the water wouldnt rise is if the person was floating and perfectly still, pissed, and then rose ever so slightly due to the loss in mass. and of course that doesnt account for the million significant ways other bodily functions affect buoyancy

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

mass makes a floating object displace more water

edit: ok

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

mass makes a floating object displace more water because its simply heavier.
wrong

the only thing that is debatable is whether or not your body deals with the vacuum created by contracting or it can just withstand that amount of pressure in it's system when dissipated but keeping the volume of the body constant

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
omg lol. i give up

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Depends on how gay you are, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HENGRY BUNG
Jan 15, 2015

If you're completely submerged, and you piss, one of three four things could happen:

1) When you pee, the piss leaves your body and then adds to the volume of the tank. The lack of piss in your bladder then causes your bladder to contract (because a pure vacuum would implode your bladder) which reduces the pressure inside of your stomach which then makes your entire abdomen contract somewhat to balance out the low pressure in your abdomen. This means that the added volume of the piss equals the negative loss of volume from your abdomen shrinking to compensate for the vacuum in your bladder. The water level remains constant.

2) When you pee, the piss leaves your body and then adds to the volume of the tank. The lack of piss in your bladder causes your bladder to contract like before, but your body can deal with the low pressure inside of the abdomen, causing no loss of body volume. The water level will rise.

3) #2 but in partial, the water level only rises somewhat. Your body contracts some but deals with some of the pressure.

• Locked thread