Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

gently caress anybody who spends more than like 800 for a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Irradiation posted:

lol

Unless you get a road bike on super clearance or used $800 will only get you a scrub tier bike.

you're insecure as gently caress on the real if you spend more money on a bike than you do a used car or something. i commute like 15 miles daily on my piece of poo poo fixed gear that i spent like 280 on and nothing beyond regular maintenance and TLC will keep it running while my bones are dust.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

me irl
lol at the people who think i ride fixed gear because it's trendy

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

considering the reason people pay that much for a bike specifically NOT to pedal furiously i'm gonna go ahead and say you don't know what you're loving talking about.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

competitive cycling culture runoff is basically to blame for fuckwads paying $15K for a bike. instead of undergoing conditioning and training like an actual professional athlete does you have middle-aged bourgie assholes with paunches and grey adam's apple hair shelling out insane prices simply in order to keep up appearances and fill the gap training is supposed to close.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Thunder Moose posted:

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but most all high-end owners "pedal furiously." Guy I worked with when I worked in a bike shop had "limited release" full carbon that went for 6 or 7k; he would do 40 mph on a few select roads.
its cool you worked in a bike shop but that doesn't confer some extra knowledge about how to actually ride a bike esp. at competitive levels the whole idea is that you ramp up to a specific speed and maintain a plateau instead of a rising parabola because that just wears you out and lets people overtake you and results in you coming in DFL.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

i passed by a guy on a unicycle today and he made me pause and think wow what a loving moron.
you have to be a really egregious loving idiot to make a guy who doesn't own a car think you're stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

it's $15k because they know freds will buy it to appear cool and strong.

• Locked thread