Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Super Mario Bros. - classic, iconic side-scroller, one of the first of its kinds
Super Mario Bros. 3 - probably the best side-scroller ever made
Super Mario World - if SMB3 wasn't the best, this one was

...then there's Super Mario Bros. 2. The one you never wanted to play as a kid.

It had:

* weird floaty jumping
* picking up weird poo poo and carrying it over your head instead of eating tight mushrooms and shooting fire
* playing as a bitch
* was gay

Lol what were they thinking with that one? I'm aware it's possible/likely some contrarian classic gaming nerd is going to come into this thread and tell me about how SMB2 is actually the best and purest game for <reasons>. I want to go ahead and proactively tell anyone with the mind to do that to get hosed. SMB2 sucked. If I were Nintendo I'd just get rid of it entirely and act like it never happened. When people ask why the games go from 1 to 3 just blame Japanese -> American translators loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
* was originally a different game

who cares? it was still good, at least it broke up the monotony

imagine if lost levels was our mario 2 like the japs lolololol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Japan had a sequel to SMB but it was considered too hard for the American market so they swapped some sprites on a pre-existing game and released that instead. SMB2 is known as Super Mario USA to this day.

The Japanese SMB sequel is known as 'The Lost Levels' and was released on the SNES on that Super Mario Allstars cart.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It was all a dream.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i've actually played it for longer than all other marios put together, op. your opinion is bad and unnecessary

Abdul Alhazred
Mar 15, 2007
I thought it was alright. Playing as the hovering princess owned

Plus it gave us that egg dinosaur thing, the first tranny in a video game. Truly progressive

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also, zelda 2 is the best zelda

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Birdo is a redeeming factor i will concede this much

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

It was all a dream.

definietly biggies fav mario

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

88h88 posted:

Japan had a sequel to SMB but it was considered too hard for the American market

Wrong. They didn't use it because it was "too similar to the original." If anything, Japanese games generally tended to be easier than their US counterparts, in large part because rentals were illegal in Japan at the time (still are as far as I know), while in America, they tried to make the games too hard to beat in one rental to encourage people buying the things because the rental market was huge. Battletoads is a great example of this: much, much easier in Japan.

By the way, American Super Mario 2 is awesome. It's more fun than the first Super Mario and the Japanese Super Mario 2.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
it was the loving jews fault

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

quakster posted:

also, zelda 2 is the best zelda

Yes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Not wrong.

http://tinyurl.com/ory6ck4

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2007/10/04/super-mario-bros-the-lost-levels-review

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-mario-bros-the-lost-levels-review/1900-6180490/

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu-eshop/super_mario_bros_the_lost_levels_nes

http://www.destructoid.com/miyamoto-depressed-when-creating-lost-levels-suggests-nintendo-executive-47616.phtml

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/super-mario-bros-lost-levels-review

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/gaming/2007/11/super_mario_bros_the_lost_levels.html

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

so many citations good sir :monocle: looks like we've found a subject gbs really cares about

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Lol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mario is srs business.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
do any of those link to an interview because lmao if this clown's source for information is an eight year old ign review

http://i58.tinypic.com/1zdkxi.jpg

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

super mario bros 2 is good. it had a mouse with rad shades and bombs. it had a scary mask that would chase you if you took a key. i liked those things. if you give a poo poo about how it doesn't feel like a mario game consider a life of monastic austerity because you might care about the wrong things too much. it's just a good game.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
plus it birthed poo poo that stuck around, like shy guys, bob bombs, birdo, wart (jk)

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think we can all agree the op is a worthless piece of poo poo, and if we all had to choose between Super Mario Bros 2 and the op existing we would all choose SMB2, right?

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

quakster posted:

do any of those link to an interview because lmao if this clown's source for information is an eight year old ign review

http://i58.tinypic.com/1zdkxi.jpg

The only guy who ever gets quoted in those, if they quote anyone, is Howard Phillips, who was only quoted with saying "the game is too hard" and not really "we didn't release this in America because the game was too hard." The vast majority quote nobody and have nothing to support the claim. But Howard Phillips, that's a trustworthy guy. Who is he?

A spokesman (or, in other words, an empty suit) for Nintendo who is best known for being the co-star of a Nintendo Power comic.

Real insider titan of the industry right there. You may as well quote your uncle who totally worked at Nintendo because that's who Howard Phillips is.

Hell man, come to think of it, Doki Doki Panic is way easier than Super Mario 2 USA so I don't know what this "American games are easier" stuff is about.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 26, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
When people ask me if there was a Mario Brothers 2, I tell them there wasn't one because I'm ashamed of it.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
Jap Mario 2 was loving awful, I'm glad I played the not-great-but-okay Mario 2 USA instead.

Birdo is a legend, and his presence is subsequent Mario games is a testament to Nintendo thinking the same.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
toki toki panic

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Applewhite posted:

When people ask me if there was a Mario Brothers 2, I tell them there wasn't one because I'm ashamed of it.

nintendo should do the same

PandaCookies
Mar 19, 2009

Delicious endangered confection!
I don't know what you cranky pants are all about. SMB2 was hella fun and my jam. Also, it helped influence a lot of the same Mario things we still see today. Also that sweet sound Wart makes when you throw vegetables into his fat gently caress mouth.

*WARF*

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
more like dookie dookie panic

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if mario & mickey had sex,

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
smb 2 is the best one, i'm glad they hosed it up

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
mario 1 was the worst mario. mario jumps slowly and it sucks

mario i ran before i jumped, why are you going so slowly mario. argh fall down the stupid whole. i dont care

mackninja
Jun 26, 2015

by Ralp
it was originally another game and they replaced the characters with mario characters. characters.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nevrr played it when i was a kid bc i was busy blasting a wad on sick tits constantly

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'm sure youre mom appreciate your 6 y old d

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
You know, the game we know as Super Mario Bros 2 here was actually called "Puck Man" in Japan

They had to change the name when it came here though

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Blah blah blah Doki Doki Panic blah blah blah transgender dinosaur.

mackninja
Jun 26, 2015

by Ralp

HJE-Cobra posted:

You know, the game we know as Super Mario Bros 2 here was actually called "Puck Man" in Japan

They had to change the name when it came here though

yea dat what it was called.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
kill she with own egg; mario disgraceful

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks to the dozen people who said it was originally a different game.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When you beat Mario 1, doesn't the game restart and the title screen says "Super Mario Bros. II" and all the enemies are replaced with beetles and it's hard as gently caress?

Did I imagine that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

Thanks to the dozen people who said it was originally a different game.

In Japan, it was called "Doki Doki Panic."

• Locked thread