Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
if you had to have sex with phanto or the angry sun from mario 3, which would you choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i played as the princess at first but once you get good it's more fun to play the other chars

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Parallax Scroll posted:

i played as the princess at first but once you get good it's more fun to play the other chars

This was the first time I experienced how much I loved being a princess.

Thankyou Mario Bros 2.....thankyou *cries*.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
have you ever considered what it would feel like to get head from birdo ?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

thathonkey posted:

from the looks of things it'd feel a lot like loving your mom

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

thathonkey posted:

don't ask rhetorical questions.

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe
timely thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVIwNhJdqP0

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wish Mouser and the 3-headed Snake showed up in other games.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I had an aversion to Super Mario Bros. 2 as a child but once I played it I found I actually liked it a lot.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Downercut posted:

Even in Smash Bros. where he's the Ryu, there's a version of him that wears a doctor's coat and beats you up with pills, so why bother.

But Ryu is the Ryu of smash bros?

Risky
May 18, 2003

Mario 2 in japan was just Mario 1 DLC

raditts posted:

Super Mario 2j is like a lovely rom hack of the original and they made the right decision not releasing it here.
The most time anyone should ever waste with it is watching this guy play it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g30RtkoByw

Lol @ the fedora guys in the background

Risky fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 27, 2015

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
the best Merio is Yoshis Island

Risky
May 18, 2003

Hammerite posted:

the best Merio is Yoshis Island

no, mines of morio expansion

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

quakster posted:

also, zelda 2 is the best zelda

I strongly disagree with your opinion, sir.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I liked the Mario game where you could play as that metroid guy or that army guy from contra.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
I liked it as a kid. As an adult, I jerk off all day long.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Toad was awesome because there was one part of the game early on with a gently caress-ton of vegetables in the ground where you could throw the magic potion at them and enter sub-space, where you can pick those vegetables as coins quickly with him and get a shitload of extra lives during the slot machine game.

I think there's another vegetable area like that in world 4, right before you go up in the spaceship. You could then die purposely without ever running out of lives if you mastered all cherries all the time like I did :grin:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

You Are A Elf posted:

Toad was awesome because there was one part of the game early on with a gently caress-ton of vegetables in the ground where you could throw the magic potion at them and enter sub-space, where you can pick those vegetables as coins quickly with him and get a shitload of extra lives during the slot machine game.

I think there's another vegetable area like that in world 4, right before you go up in the spaceship. You could then die purposely without ever running out of lives if you mastered all cherries all the time like I did :grin:

same

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
:grin:

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Mr. Pumroy posted:

mario was the average :geno: and toad was very fast at running and picking things up but lovely at jumping they were basically the worst because if you could jump high like luigi or float long like toadstool you could take cool shortcuts

Sour Diesel posted:

there's that one level that warps you to world 7 or w/e that you can only jump to as luigi

then it was back to the princess after that

There were glitchy ways around the shortcuts sometimes. I remember figuring out as a kid that I could sometimes jump super high by taking a hit; basically I'd run into an enemy and pound the poo poo out of the A button. Found out years later that was called the double-jump glitch and you didn't even have to take the hit, it worked if you jumped just before hitting the enemy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCpMtnxz3eU

It could be useful, but mostly I just launched Luigi past the top of the screen for fun.

Metrical
May 7, 2013
Phanto was terrifying and now I can't pick up my car keys without breaking into a cold sweat and looking over my shoulder

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

By the way, American Super Mario 2 is awesome. It's more fun than the first Super Mario and the Japanese Super Mario 2.

This. Close thread now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

Wrong. They didn't use it because it was "too similar to the original."

Except that's literally not the option they said.'

Also everything else you said runs contrary to a lot of game that get pussified US versions.

ED: Lost Levels kind of blows though. SMB3 is the best.

thathonkey posted:

Super Mario Bros. 3 - probably the best side-scroller ever made
Super Mario World - if SMB3 wasn't the best, this one was

World wasn't bad but 3 owns it.

I think it might be the fact the NES graphics were still kind of surreal and when it jumped to SNES it became super-super cartoon cutesy.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 27, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar posted:

I liked the Mario game where you could play as that metroid guy or that army guy from contra.

Always worth linking
http://explodingrabbit.com/resources/super-mario-bros-crossover.84/

ChogsEnhour posted:

Mario was the boring rear end who was just average at everything.

They should have made Mario unable to jump more than an inch off the ground

That way when the dream comes up, you'd realize it was actually his equivalent of an nightmare, "Even Toad can jump higher than me!"

Freud would have a few things to say about the dream

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
it was my fav mario when i was 9 op.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It was originally called "Doki Doki Panic", OP. They changed it to a Mario game for American audiences.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how much are you guys dying that you need all those lives

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

man this is gonna be in all kinds of lovely posts now

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Everyone knows by now Birdo is a man.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Parallax Scroll posted:

how much are you guys dying that you need all those lives

Didn't need them, just mastered the timing of the slot machine cherries.

It's like that one trick with the Koopa Troopa and the stairs in the first Mario Bros. where you get into lives that are symbols and poo poo after you get tired of bouncing him off the stairs.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the answer is 'nothing'. there 's nothing wrong with smb2.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The logs in the waterfall go off the top of the screen when you throw the POW block

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Blazing Ownager posted:

Except that's literally not the option they said.'

Also everything else you said runs contrary to a lot of game that get pussified US versions.

Everything they've said: Howard Phillip the Clown of Nintendo once said it was a tough game. The end.

Which pussified US games? Because, just off the top of my head, these games are tougher in America than Japan: Battletoads, at least one of the Ninja Gaidens (3?), the Double Dragon games, the Castlevania games, Bayou Billy, the Contra games, both Zelda games, and American Super Mario 2 (compared to Doki Doki Panic). And this was apparently done because no rentals in Japan, whereas rentals were a thing in the US.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

Not sure, but if you beat Super Mario World, all the piranha plants are replaced by pumpkins and I thought that was stupid as hell.

If I remember right, this happens after you beat Star Road, and it also replaces shells with Mario heads.

Peebla posted:

Super Mario world is the worst one because I could never ever get past 99 percent completion when I was a kid. What the gently caress was I missing!? I played it so often that whenever I was out of school sick I would start a new file in the morning and easily have it beaten by the time my brothers got back from school. And I sucked and still suck at video games that require even the slightest bit of skill talent or knowledge. I was good as gently caress at harvest moon and animal crossing, though!

It's number of paths, not percent. World had something like 94 or 96 paths. I used to think you could get 100, too, but it just doesn't happen.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 27, 2015

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Not a fan of mario 2 but this music owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3LF95aJMl8

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I think we can all agree the op is a worthless piece of poo poo, and if we all had to choose between Super Mario Bros 2 and the op existing we would all choose SMB2, right?

Yes

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
It's got the best music.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

thathonkey posted:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

quakster posted:

also, zelda 2 is the best zelda

I didn't read the rest of this thread but I just bought an original gold Zelda 2 cart to play on one of those retro clone consoles literally yesterday and it was, in 2015, rad to play even if it was an incomprehensible mess.

Zelda 2 best Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

while i prefer zelda 1, zelda 2 is also nice

• Locked thread