Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Problem description: About a week ago my mother board died. My computer would power on, fans would start spinning, but nothing would happen. Both monitors would give "no signal" messages and go to sleep. I tried plugging either monitor into the mother board with the video card removed, and nothing happened (same failure to start up, no signal). I couldn't get into bios, couldn't do anything. Today I replaced the mother board. The computer failed to start up on the first attempt because I'm an idiot and the power switch was off on the back. On the second try, the computer powered on (lights and fans going) but both monitors still displayed a "no signal" message.I realised i was an idiot and had plugged a psie3 card into a pcie2 slot, so I put it in the right slot. The system started, the gpu fan kicked on max speed and stayed at that speed, I heard the little windows noise that lets me know I was at the login screen, but I still got no video signal to the monitors. I removed the video card and tried with one of the monitors plugged into the motherboard directly and that worked. The first couple times I turned the computer on, I got a "windows was not shut down properly" error on startup. That went away after the 2nd startup. After the card was tried in the pcie3 slot I got another shut down improperly message (I held the front power button to shut it off). Aside from the video card, everything seems to be working well, but this is meant as a gaming computer.

Attempted fixes: Replaced motherboard, tried to boot with new video card and without, ensured chard was in the proper slot, verified contacts were intact and card properly seated, tried googling it but didn't find anything useful

Recent changes: New mother board (changed from an asus p8z77vlx to a asrock z75 pro3 [part # 90-mxgm10-aouayz]), video card (evga gtx650ti) removed due to not working after mobo swap

Operating system: 64bit windows 7 home premium

System specs:
cpu: intel i5-3570
mobo: asrock z75 pro3 [part # 90-mxgm10-aouayz]
graphics card: evga 650ti (not currently installed)
ram: g.skill 2x4gb ddr3
psu: 500w
256gb ssd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What is your exact PSU?

It's possible the video card died along with the motherboard.

Did you reinstall the OS after the motherboard change? If not, switching between motherboards like that can cause a lot of driver errors and stability issues as well.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Zogo posted:

What is your exact PSU?

It's possible the video card died along with the motherboard.

Did you reinstall the OS after the motherboard change? If not, switching between motherboards like that can cause a lot of driver errors and stability issues as well.

PSAZ-500s12 is the psu model #

I haven't reinstalled the os yet because I've got no idea where the disc is. I'm pretty sure I've still got it somewhere, but when I bought it from ibuypower like 2 years ago the os was already installed so the disc got dumped in a drawer somewhere. I ran the driver install disc that came with the mobo, though. Not sure if that would make things worse of better but it didnt let the card work. I've got a customer support ticket in with asrock right now and am waiting back to hear what they have to say. If I dont hear anything definitive from them I'm just gonna back up the things I care about and then reinstall the os.

I'll update if there's any changes/developments.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd strongly recommend replacing the power supply immediately, that's an extremely low quality model and Google shows a number of people having issues getting videocards to work with it. It may have been related to the death of your motherboard in the first place, and could have even killed your videocard too.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

After a reformat, it turns out that the card itself was dead, probably due to the same event that killed the mobo. Bios settings didn't even recognize that there was a card installed.:ms:

Alereon posted:

I'd strongly recommend replacing the power supply immediately, that's an extremely low quality model and Google shows a number of people having issues getting videocards to work with it. It may have been related to the death of your motherboard in the first place, and could have even killed your videocard too.

That'll have a wait a little bit, unfortunately, but that's good to know. Any suggestions on a psu (or psu brand) that isn't garbage?

grumplestiltzkin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

grumplestiltzkin posted:

That'll have a wait a little bit, unfortunately, but that's good to know. Any suggestions on a psu (or psu brand) that isn't garbage?

This thread has a lot of suggestions:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266

I like the Corsair brand.

• Locked thread