Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
2015 League Page
Donation Page
Financial Tracker

Cheating for Charity is a Fantasy Football League. Each team represents a charity that the member is playing for. At the end of the season the charity of the winning team gets all of the winnings from the season. No league fees or other expenses are taken from the pot. A key part of the game is to encourage additional donations by "cheating." The cheating rule is simple; the team gets a point added to their total for every $1 that is donated towards their charity before the Thursday Night Football game. Teams are limited to no more than ten bonus points relative to their opponent. So if team A received $20 and donation and team B received $5 in donations, team A would receive 15 bonus points and team B would receive 5.

Past Years
2014: $1640 for the Harper College Speech & Theater, $820 for Illuminate Academy
2013: $518 for Minnesota Children's Hospital, $518 for Loma Linda University Medical Center

quote:

Draft: Monday, August 31, 8PM EST

Offense: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1FLX/1PK
Passing: 0.04 per yard, 4 per TD, -2 per Int, 2 per 2PC
Rushing: 0.1 per yard, 6 per TD, 2 per 2PC
Receiving: 0.5 PPR, 0.1 per yard, 6 per TD, 2 per 2PC

Defense: 1 DB, 1 LB, 1 DL, 3FLX
Fumble Recoveries: 2
Forced Fumble: 4
Interception Caught: 6
Pass Defensed: 2
Block Field Goal/Punt/Extra Point: 6
Tackle: 1.5
Tackle Assist: 1
Sacked QB: 4
Stuff: 2
Safety: 10
Int/Fumble Recovered TD: 6
Blocked Field Goal / Punt TD: 6

Miscellaneous
Fumble: -2

Kicking
PAT: 1
PAT Missed: -1
0-39 Yard FG: 3
40-49 Yard FG: 4
50+ Yard FG: 5
0-39 Yard FG Missed: -1

Bench: 8

Cheating
Every dollar donated gives $10 FAAB. Minimum $25 buy-in means everyone starts at $250 FAAB.

Open bids out of FAAB to determine draft order. Top bidding player gets first choice, second bidder gets second, etc.

Before the start of each Thursday night game, players may bid up for a bonus for that week at a cost of $1 per tenth of a point. Regardless of how much is bid, the maximum bonus you can get is 10 points more than your opponent.

After the games are over players may spend funds from their FAAB to swap out starters with high performing players from their bench. The cost of swapping a player out is the difference in points, with every tenth of a point costing $1. These changes must be declared before kickoff of the first game on Thursday. No, you cannot swap a low performing bench player for a high performing starter to add money to your FAAB. You can, however, swap players from your starting lineup to your bench multiple times in order to rearrange the players to maximize your score. In this case you would pay every time the starter was replaced by a bench player who scored more points. Because I can't edit rosters after each week the weekly score will instead be modified by the number of dollars spent.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hell yes. Playing/losing for the Southern Poverty Law Center, also for wheez.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

Hell yes. Playing/losing for the Southern Poverty Law Center, also for wheez.

Post a blurb!

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I would really like a spot but I need to carefully consider which cause to go to work for. I volunteer at a couple places around town but I need to find out all that stuff about how the money is handled etc. Please put me in while I complete diligence research.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacejung posted:

I would really like a spot but I need to carefully consider which cause to go to work for. I volunteer at a couple places around town but I need to find out all that stuff about how the money is handled etc. Please put me in while I complete diligence research.

Awesome. Obviously there's no rush, and I also have no problem with people changing charities if they discover something more appropriate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'm back in. I'll figure out a charity Soon(tm)

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm most definitely back in! I'll decide on a charity at a later date.

For this year I would recommend we change it so that for each $1 you spend you receive $10 in FAAB. The idea behind this would be so that we don't have to round for fractional points. 0.1 points costs $1 FAAB or $0.10 in real money. In the end it doesn't increase/decrease prices - but it gets rid of the weird rounding stuff we had last year.

Ideas to raise more money? Glancing through the thread from the end of the year I see:

- Bring back $10 for 10 points
- Add IDP slots (or other slots, 2nd Flex, etc.)
- Pay to sit an opponents player for the week (RB has an easy schedule? Pay $10 to have him go on "vacation")
- Pay to swap scores with an opponents player at a premium (1.5x or 2x point difference)
- Bidding to handicap an opponent (FLEX spot becomes TE spot for the week)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Works for me. gently caress rounding.

In terms of raising money, my biggest concern is that the more we do the more workload it is on me. I would be down for experimenting with IDP though. I've never done it and it might be fun. Or terrifying. Or both.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm in. I'll pick a charity within a week or two and write a blurb about it, but definitely save a spot for me!

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
I'm in again, at work so will update with a blurb. Playing for Doctors Without Borders in honor of Wheeze (Assuming more than one of us can have the same charity as our winning beneficiary).

EDIT - Changed charities below!

Smarms fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 14, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Smarms posted:

I'm in again, at work so will update with a blurb. Playing for Doctors Without Borders in honor of Wheeze (Assuming more than one of us can have the same charity as our winning beneficiary).

Of course! There are absolutely no rules about which cause should be supported.

The only thing I'm going to say is that people with the same charity should avoid collusion. It's a good cause, but I don't want us to be in a situation where two teams with the same charity shove all their studs to one side.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

You know I'm in. Gotta defend the belt.

Aredna posted:

I'm most definitely back in! I'll decide on a charity at a later date.

For this year I would recommend we change it so that for each $1 you spend you receive $10 in FAAB. The idea behind this would be so that we don't have to round for fractional points. 0.1 points costs $1 FAAB or $0.10 in real money. In the end it doesn't increase/decrease prices - but it gets rid of the weird rounding stuff we had last year.

Ideas to raise more money? Glancing through the thread from the end of the year I see:

- Bring back $10 for 10 points
- Add IDP slots (or other slots, 2nd Flex, etc.)
- Pay to sit an opponents player for the week (RB has an easy schedule? Pay $10 to have him go on "vacation")
- Pay to swap scores with an opponents player at a premium (1.5x or 2x point difference)
- Bidding to handicap an opponent (FLEX spot becomes TE spot for the week)

I agree on IDP slots for sure. I don't mind the $10 for 10 points. My only issue with the other ideas is that it detracts a bit from a skill-based approach. if someone is on your bench, at least it was someone you drafted or picked up.

I think I could get behind paying the difference in point total to "disqualify" a player after he played. So if someone put up 40 points, if you want to shell out $40, you could discover he was on PED's and strike his points for the record. But only once per week. (Or whatever limit we would want to put on it)

Swapping scores and changing league settings, I am firmly against. It is just too arbitrary for my taste. It becomes less about skill and more about who has the most money to spend.

EDIT:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only thing I'm going to say is that people with the same charity should avoid collusion. It's a good cause, but I don't want us to be in a situation where two teams with the same charity shove all their studs to one side.

Champions don't need to collude. I'm also going with that southern law wheez charity this year.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Judging by my performance last year, you wouldn't want to collude with me anyways. :smith:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If we do pay to DQ a player - I'd like there to be an option for the owner of the player to counteract it as well. I'm just thinking about how it feels from the team owner's perspective. Basically, as humans, we tend to like things given to us more than things taken away. In this case, perhaps the suggestion I read somewhere of being able to use one of your opponents players the cheat with could work. It would be close to the same effect, except now the owner of the player doesn't have points taken away from them.

Re: same charity stuff - I'd prefer if we didn't have two teams playing for the same charity. It's not really a collusion worry, but more of it doesn't necessarily feel right.

Another money idea - Auction draft instead of snake. There would need to be some sort of cap or diminishing returns (i.e. first $10 gives you $100, next $10 gives you $50, then $25, $15, then $10 per $10 after that) . Just brainstorming so feel free to tell me my ideas are dumb.

If we do IDP slots - a flex spot always becomes an LB slot due to how scoring works and the nature of the position. If we want to try out more than one IDP slot then adding in the DL and DE slots can add some variety. It's worth adding a bench spot to go with the LB spot though. Weekly variation at the position will mean that having a player on your bench can add a lot of cheating opportunities.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aredna posted:

Re: same charity stuff - I'd prefer if we didn't have two teams playing for the same charity. It's not really a collusion worry, but more of it doesn't necessarily feel right.

Don't matter to me but calling dibs on the International Rescue Committee

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'd like to play for an anti-suicide charity to be researched. It'd be more fun as a team thing, drafting and choosing how to start, so please by all means join me. Just think of the team names.

edit: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention sounds good. And I'll commit $50 to entry & FA

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 4, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Its Miller Time posted:

I'd like to play for an anti-suicide charity to be researched. It'd be more fun as a team thing, drafting and choosing how to start, so please by all means join me. Just think of the team names.

edit: American Foundation for Suicide Prevention sounds good

Great!

I am getting some good vibes about IDP. How many should we do?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Great!

I am getting some good vibes about IDP. How many should we do?

The pitfall with IDP is a lot of people go one deep at DL, DB, LB, which makes it so everybody has a really good at that position (especially LB which is super deep) and they cancel each other out. To fight this, and to fight the fact that DL IDPs are dumb and lame, my IDP league I normally play in is 2 DB, 2 LB, 2 D flex spots.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I did 1Lb, 1De/Dl, and 1 Db. Liked it but really I'll do whatever.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Just saw this. I'm back in for another go.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Are there still spots?

If not no biggy.

If there is a spot left, I'd like to support the V Foundation. It is a cancer charity founded by Jim Valvano, a basketball coach who died of cancer. I was only vaguely familiar with his story, and was initially interested in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. But Charity Navigator only gave them three stars and their admin expenses are higher than I'd like. The V Foundation was suggested on the Charity Navigator site, and they have a 95% rating and appear to give almost all the money they get to researchers. It appears they focus on grant funding to support younger cancer researchers getting their labs going, which sounds pretty dandy to me. All I really knew about the guy was him running around on the court after winning the national championship, the rest of his story is pretty good. Seems like a good organization.

I'm also real bad at fantasy football so a chance to cheat sounds pretty fantastic. No real preference on rules.

Also if spots are tight I'm happy to defer to returning players.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There are always spots.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Cool im in

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Looks like you have 12 people, got room for another?

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
Team Name to Come - Smarms - Playing for Books for Africa - https://www.booksforafrica.org/

Books For Africa. A simple name for an organization with a simple mission. We collect, sort, ship, and distribute books to students of all ages in Africa. Our goal: to end the book famine in Africa.

Books For Africa remains the largest shipper of donated text and library books to the African continent, shipping over 33 million books to 49 different countries since 1988. Over the past 12 months we have shipped 2.6 million books, valued at $35 million to 27 African countries, with an additional 223 computers and 11 brand new law and human rights libraries.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RisqueBarber posted:

Looks like you have 12 people, got room for another?

Yes.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Sign me up for NAMI (National Association of the Mentally Ill)

http://www.namidallas.org/

Since 1982, NAMI Dallas has been providing mental health resources and assistance to individuals and families affected by mental illness. By offering free mental health education, support and advocacy we are able to make a difference in many lives with the aid of our community.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'll catch up on everything this weekend. Glad to see new faces!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Still gotta pick my charity - given that we have about a month until draft time... should we start working on available dates? My schedule is starting to fill up for August and given that I'm in Tokyo I have to try for either a late night or early morning time here as well. A Friday night (US time) that isn't the 14th is by far the easiest for me to make - but I of course understand everyone else has schedules and plans to work around as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yes let's work on available day. I should be able to draft at any point. Another option is the fabled slow draft.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes let's work on available day. I should be able to draft at any point. Another option is the fabled slow draft.

No slow draft. That poo poo is a mess in our other league. I'm available whenever for a draft. I have a phone so I can make it work wherever I'm at.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Do we need a 14th player? It would suck to not play someone one week (no incentive to cheat)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Someone will show up. Honestly, if enough people came in, if Beer was for it, we could do two leagues.

I don't think a slow draft would work anyway, because this year is gonna be auction, right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You're the first one scheduling so it's wide open. I'd prefer to avoid Friday nights and Saturday afternoons, but either could probably be worked around. I'll talk to people tonight and see what my August Saturday schedule looks like.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
I'm available pretty much any time besides M-F 8:00 - 6:00 and Sundays from 4:00 - 9:00 PM EST.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

Someone will show up. Honestly, if enough people came in, if Beer was for it, we could do two leagues.

I don't think a slow draft would work anyway, because this year is gonna be auction, right?

We'll stick with snake.

And if we need a 14th player I'll drag MY WIFE into it or something.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I'll make it work whenever. I've drafted two goon leagues in a moving vehicle.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So, one of my dynasties is scheduled here:

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Live Draft Scheduled: Sunday, Aug 23, 2015 at 12:00pm EDT

So I'd prefer to avoid within a couple hours of that.

Saturday wise I'd prefer to avoid anytime before 7pm central on Aug 8 and Aug 22, but accommodations could be made.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How do I join the league on the ESPN site? Looks like it is full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'll expand it. I've been caught up in personal stuff.

• Locked thread