Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
Problem description: System will not POST if a RAM stick is installed in either or both of the two DIMM slots farthest from the CPU.

(Possibly) relevant components: An ASUS Z77 Sabertooth motherboard, some Mushkin DDR3 1600 RAM running at 1333 that passes memtest86 just fine (provided it is installed in either or both of the two slots closest to the CPU), an Intel i5-3570K running at stock speeds, a Corsair ax650 PSU.

Attempted troubleshooting steps: Tried every combination of every stick of RAM in every slot, flashed the EFI to the latest version and tried again. I'm thinking at this point I'm gonna have to RMA the motherboard, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any additional diagnostic steps an amateur like myself could do.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

jack_squat fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This means that your memory channel B is not working. I'd recommend reseating the CPU and verifying all pins are making good contact with the bottom of the CPU.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

Alereon posted:

This means that your memory channel B is not working. I'd recommend reseating the CPU and verifying all pins are making good contact with the bottom of the CPU.

Thank you! I will try that tonight after work and report back with results.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
I'm completely floored. All I did was take the CPU out, blow out the socket and blow off the CPU with canned air, and put everything back together and now everything's working. Far as I could tell, none of the pins or contact points were bent/damaged/obstructed. I've been using this computer relatively issue free since 2012 and there was apparently some kind of issue with a pin or possibly even multiple pins making contact the whole time! Now I just have to go buy some thermal compound to replace the stuff I cleaned off and I'll be in business (don't worry, I'm not using the computer until I reapply it :downs:).

Thanks Alereon! I'd be happy to PayPal you 10 bux or buy you an equivalently priced thing for the trouble, just PM me if you're interested.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Glad this is working for you! I appreciate the thought but there's no need for a reward or anything.

• Locked thread