Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Why yes, this house that's getting older and breaking down over time is definitely worth more than it used to be when it was brand spanking new, unlike literally every other piece of property that isn't some kind of decoration or collectible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Hello, welcome to the world

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Older houses tend to be built on more desirable land, and built out of better materials (barring all that 80s aspestos), usually have more garden space, and are generally a better bet than more modern properties. My current property was built in 1866, and it's utterly bulletproof, and certainly doesn't cost more to upkeep than the new property I was in a few years ago.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

I think we should all have free housing which consist of giant concrete soviet style apartment blocks.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I appreciate living in a house

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

skeletonotherkin posted:

I think we should all have free housing which consist of giant concrete soviet style apartment blocks.
this but only slightly ironically

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
inflation, trickle down economy, minimum wage out of control

vote me for GOP prez candidate 2016

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Screama posted:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
An interesting idea OP... go on

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i live in a garbage can

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
During the recession I bought a house and then sold it last summer and made a profit of $60,000. Suck op

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramsus posted:

During the recession I bought a house and then sold it last summer and made a profit of $60,000. Suck op

i need some money to buy curtains for my garbage can

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
What about the freakin grover house haha

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
OP I read this great book that might ignite your flame of interest in architecture it's called The Fountainhead

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I hope you like my gay-rear end lawn that i spend thousands of dollars to keep immacualte holy gently caress kill me now

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
lmao OP is a poor

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Harald posted:

Hi I hope you like my gay-rear end lawn that i spend thousands of dollars to keep immacualte holy gently caress kill me now

Hey, nice lawn!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheMostFrench posted:

Hey, nice lawn!

thanks bro. maybe you can come over some time and drink some miller lite and if that leads to a jo session we'll just chalk it up to bros being bros

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Screama posted:

why?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
The land it typically more valuable than the actual house and that is what is going up in value. That's why you can buy a literal castle in Europe for less than a house in NYC.

s0j
May 17, 2003

get fucked, round-eye
good bones OP

Rhizoids
Jul 4, 2009

by Ralp
Actually, real estate is all about the location. The reason that houses appreciate in value is because the land does. I would add to cynic's excellent point about the desirability of the land that often houses built on land undesirable at the time become very valuable real estate as a city center expands and roadways are developed.

What's more, the simple fact of the matter is that land is a finite resource. As the population of the world keeps increasing, there will continue to be less and less land available per person. Maybe that suburban townhouse your grandparents bought might have seemed tiny at the time, but compared to a cramped apartment in a high rise, it's huge. And it's probably closer to downtown too. :)

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

groundbreaking ideas itt

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Mr. Pumroy posted:

groundbreaking ideas itt

ha i get it cause when you start building a building (a house for instance) it's called breaking ground or groundbreaking

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Modern construction is often poo poo.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

skeletonotherkin posted:

lordoftheT
Feb 2, 2015

Check out this cool dog!

Matey posted:

ha i get it cause when you start building a building (a house for instance) it's called breaking ground or groundbreaking

Construction workers in this country seem really overpaid.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Matey posted:

I wonder if some dude was forced to spray paint those shovels or if they bought them from some genius at a huge markup.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

skeletonotherkin posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The house I'm renting in is "valuable" but they still intend to demolish it because oh yeah actually the land is valuable, the house is made of a century worth of compressed spiders and war ghosts

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Rhizoids posted:

Actually, real estate is all about the location. The reason that houses appreciate in value is because the land does. I would add to cynic's excellent point about the desirability of the land that often houses built on land undesirable at the time become very valuable real estate as a city center expands and roadways are developed.

What's more, the simple fact of the matter is that land is a finite resource. As the population of the world keeps increasing, there will continue to be less and less land available per person. Maybe that suburban townhouse your grandparents bought might have seemed tiny at the time, but compared to a cramped apartment in a high rise, it's huge. And it's probably closer to downtown too. :)

land on Earth is a finite resource

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Hobohemian posted:

I wonder if some dude was forced to spray paint those shovels or if they bought them from some genius at a huge markup.

You buy them like that. I had a property management company ship out over 100 ceremonial shovels and hard hats last year.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress I am trying to find pictures of those old northeastern homes with door frames at weird 80deg angles and I cant find the right search string.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Rhizoids posted:

whats the saying go... buy land, they ain't making any more of the stuff?

(actually they are in dubai, with slave labor)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
cant wait for the next housing bubble

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

John Denver Hoxha posted:

whats the saying go... buy land, they ain't making any more of the stuff?

(actually they are in dubai, with slave labor)

Also the south china sea. The next wave of tsunamis are going to be hilarious.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Matey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_4ocoJDVD8]

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I thoroughly enjoy poors that think they save money on property taxes and maintenance by renting

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

jackyl posted:

I thoroughly enjoy poors that think they save money on property taxes and maintenance by renting

That's why condominiums are the best combination of owning and renting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

That's why condominiums are the best combination of owning and renting.

You never answered my question about hair, you jerk bag

• Locked thread