Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's a guy who spams dumbass kicks that never hit anything against the guy with the fastest shot in the division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Mendes gets taken out by a chair. Joseph Duffy charges in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

"Undefeated" is a fun attribute they like to repeat an infinite number of times in promos but when it comes to a lot of people liking a fighter it's like the 4th most important factor, tops

Fans are really, really good at rationalising losses. I've seen more than one person actually suggest that Shogun's record should be amended because certain losses (Machida 1, Coleman 1, even Griffin) don't count for various reasons. As in, the athletic commission and UFC should actually change their official record of Shogun's fights.

Le Saboteur posted:

A good part of Conors personality and confidence about himself is based on him running through the featherweight division. If he gets starched by Mendes that talk is going to hold a lot less weight and will at least kill a bit of his momentum.

Honestly if he lost I'd love to see him rematch Holloway if Holloway continues on his streak.

Have him run through another bunch of fighters that range from "bad" to "good, but that play into Conor's strengths." He can knock out Darren Elkins, Jimmy Hettes, then Dennis Bermudez (a 'true test') then Nam Phan and get another title shot. You're welcome, UFC.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

It appears he did. Chael's a good guy. brb texting Chad Mendes how he needs to fight Conor McGregor and offering him an account on somethingawful forums, the premier MMA forum

This would unironically be wonderful. I want to know what it's like to be physically terrifying while able to fit in an overhead luggage compartment.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

an evolution to a detectable talent pool beyond 3 fighters would certainly matter

It's never hurt heavyweight.

Keg posted:

Lots of TMA people think that MMA's rule set is biased in favor of grappling because when you're fighting in the streets the floor is lava.

TMA guys also insist that since you're not allowed to bite, gouge, scratch or whatever in MMA, they could beat an MMA fighter because they'd fight dirty. It's stupid for at least two reasons. 1. As if MMA guys wouldn't just start biting and scratching if they were allowed, not to mention all those things being slower and more difficult than things like jabbing and kneeing. and 2. Specific to biting, the muscles in the arm are way stronger than the ones that hold the jaw together. So if Cain Velasquez is RNCing me and I bite his arm (cause i'm from the streetz) he can just keep pulling back, and my jaw will give way long before his arm does.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Rolling around on the floor outside, especially how a lot of sport BJJ and on-mat Judo/wrestling operates, is indeed a bad idea but it's better than automatically losing any physical altercation that hits the floor because you are smaller or someone tackled / fell on you which is what will happen to 99% of non-grapplers.

But that 1%? Whichever TMAist you're talking to is totally in that because their school trains for real and they would just stand up :smug:
I've developed a foolproof method for working if a martial arts instructor is full of poo poo. If you ask "what would happen if they did X?" (X being a double leg, or a leg kick, or something) if their answer begins with the word "Just" you can ignore everything that comes after. Because it means they haven't tested it at all.
"Getting double legged? Just guillotine them. Getting leg kicked? Just take them down."

quote:

Lots of grapplers have also let people "fight dirty" and the outcomes were completely unchanged. Someone who's mounted and getting punched in the face will even have trouble getting a belt/neck knife into play.

Neck Knives are the dumbest poo poo. Like, of all the places to wear knife (there isn't really a sensible place) that's probably the worst. Putting it in a place that visible and easily accessible to the attacker, not to mention that they'll probably just strangle you with the cord. It's like deliberate wearing a necktie that they can take and kill you with.

TMA guys are loving dumb.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Neck knives are simple, short blades with slim profiles and skeletal handles worn in a sheath around the neck. If you know anything about the company Cold Steel, they make like 6 different neck knives. That tells you everything you need to know about neck knives.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

what a terrible tangent this thread took. of all the things we could be talking about at this point in mma.

There's only so many times you can say "Conor might be good at wrestling, or he might not"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I automatically assumed frank muur.

Also sports bet has both robbie and mendes as $2 + underdogs. Going in on both.

There's no way Mir doesn't own three katanas and a naginata, minimum. But he owns them ironically.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

it's kind of baffling to me. since getting tuned up by robbie he very, very nearly lost to a criminally gassed maia, and was able to be same old rory against woodley and saffadeine. i've seen no significant improvement. since bashing up rory, robbie has had 2 really close fights against the next best guy in the division and murdered ellenberger / dominated matt brown. i don't see how people are seriously predicting a rory win

It's a fight that, for whatever reason, people remember really poorly. People have it as one of those fights where first round went to one fighter, second round to the other, and the third was a toss up. It really isn't. The winner of each round is pretty goddamn clear.

Skip My Posts posted:

Welterweight. It owns

It does, in fact own. A division full of handsome, rad fighters

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'll bet Hioki really wishes he could time travel back to 2011 when he was the uncrowned champ of featherweight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pwny_Xpress posted:

You realize the two have fought and Mick Diaz broke code and wrestled the poo poo out of him with a torn ACL right? I am as much a Holloway fan as the next guy, I think he doesn't get nearly enough credit. That being said, even with the improvements he has made, Connor would still smoke him.

Did he really smoke him the first time? I remember that fight being a big ball of 'meh.' But then it was right before McDonald/Pickett, which was loving amazing.

On a more general thing, wrestling is, as I understand it, really hard on the knees. Why would a knee injury make you think "well, I better start wrestling"?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wise Learned Man posted:

Jimmo's grapes are sore sour:

I am also happy that Jimmo was released and that I won't have to watch him anymore.

I remember him putting James Te Huna in danger twice, losing the fight, then developing an allergy to ever putting anyone in danger again.

EDIT: I forgot that he finished someone called Sean O'Connell, who may very well exist.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skjorte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uKx7YMYgY

He is also the author of The Angel War, book 1. I haven't read it, but he promised it was good in his last post-fight interview, so you should probably buy it: http://www.amazon.com/Light-Guard-The-Angel-Book-ebook/dp/B00ADVLK8W

I actually do remember him now. I think I even remember the fight. He tricked Ryan Jimmo into having a good fight, which is quite a feat.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

It wasn't till someone linked the below Alexis Dufrense fight that I realised just how important Bruce is. I mean everything about it is poverty-line level production but it still highlights how bad a weak announcer is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5SNexJSVs

The best/worst example was Invicta 9. They couldn't get Buffer, or Martinez. They ended up with...I don't know, some dude's cousin or something. He knew that he was supposed to emphasise things, but he didn't know what or why. Didn't help that it was in front of an Iowa crowd that had no idea what they were looking at. Aside from Inoue/Kowalkiewicz, that was such a dogshit card.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Soon we'll be looking back fondly on the days when the worst thing Browne did was the Rob Broughton fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Travis Browne has replaced Stefan Struve as the living embodiment of the Heavyweight division. He's loving terrible and completely unaware that he's 6'8, but because he's at heavyweight, no one notices, in fact, he's had several decent win streaks in amongst the hilarious losses. At heavyweight, no matter how bad you are, they can always find someone worse.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Duck of Death posted:

Unless you're Ruan Potts.

Okay, there's exceptions. The point is: Phillip De Fries has two wins in the UFC. That never ceases to amaze me. The guy who may have Ko'd himself against Matt Mitrione's knees has wins.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The worst part about Travis Browne was that he talked soooooo non chalantly about himself like he was objectively the next gen heavyweight who was inevitably going to be champion. And Bigfoot and Werdum didn't stop it at all.

The worst part was when he was worried that Bigfoot Silva might have made a name off of beating him. Really, the worst part of Travis Browne is everything. Great and small. He's a fractal pattern of terrible heavywight MMA.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Or is it that he has tiny arms that would function exceptionally poorly as wings?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

K8.0 posted:

The big takeaway from that fight is that Conor has an untouchable chin. Chad laid 15+ incredibly hard shots on his chin and Conor was not even the slightest bit fazed. Nobody should even try boxing him at this point since it's a losing proposition, his sitting down on punches and not caring if he gets hit is legit. The Aldo fight will be decided by who takes more damage from kicks, unless Aldo decides to wrestlefuck him and succeeds.

See ya'll in a month.

Guys who rely on their toughness and wear punches always have really depressing tail ends of their careers. So I'll have the last laugh when I can still remember the names of my family members in my 30s.

Anyway, it was an impressive result, but it almost seemed custom made to leave shitloads of questions about Connor. Can he handle wrestlers? Maybe. He was getting cracked by a T-Rex despite having arms as big as Chad's body. So his striking defence and much vaunted footwork is still a maybe. It didn't leave the second so his gas tank is still an unknown. Basically, it just confirmed what the Poirier fight established. That he's really, really good at hitting people who are standing still.

The most remarkable thing was Stephens KOing someone by jumping straight up. You can always rely on Bermudez to walk into something stupid, and you can always rely on Stephens to be throwing really stupid poo poo even late in the fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Bear with me but is it possible that Conor aims to fight in such a way that his opponent is maneuvered into unfavourable positions which he then capitalises on?

This is true when he's convincing Brimage to run face first into his fists or Poirier to turn to concrete. Eating hard punches and spending half the fight on his back with his opponent in his non-existent guard isn't really doing much to win the fight. He had the most success when he was fighting to his strengths.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 12, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's amusing that Welterweight has the three violentest, raddest fighters in Condit, Lawler and Thatch (dammit, Thatch, stop losing, you're breaking my heart)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Conor will have also spent a full camp training for a wrestler. He came in and straight up stuffed 3 takedowns and even if he was on bottom for a while in the second he got up each time.

Anderson stuffed 5 of 9 takedowns against Chael the first time, no one is saying he didn't get the gently caress wrestled out of him. Statistics like that are kind of useless

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a huge difference in what Chael did to Anderson and what happened last night. Chael was not only GnPing like crazy, but he was winning the stand up exchanges as well. Chael dominated every second of the fight until he got triangled.

Chad did next to nothing with his takedowns and even then only would have won the second via lay and pray. He was getting hit hard from the bottom and lit up on the feet.

Yeah, but citing 4 of 7 as some evidence that he handled the wrestling is deceptive. He didn't. Chad completed a shot from halfway across the octagon and took him for a ride. He got back up when Chad passed his guard and went for submissions. He absolutely got wrestled badly and ate a shitload of elbows.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Honestly I can see where Wanderlei gets this impression. Conor McGregor showed exceptional capability at getting back to his feet under dominant wrestlers and the ability to eat huge strikes, both of which are concepts that would seem foreign and impossible to Wandy.

I don't think the fight was fixed, but if there was ever a fight where the narrative absolutely lends itself to conspiracy theories, it's that one. If Conor loses, they lose a massive fight and a future/present star, so there's that, then there's the way Chad seems to just give up after the failed guillotine (I know, body shots and short notice) and just stands against the fence, wearing a huge telegraphed left. Then there's the stoppage (I know, it wasn't early) but if you're of that mindset, it looks kind of early. Again, I don't think it was fixed, but if there was ever a fight the UFC had a vested interest in fixing, and whose outcome lent itself to that narrative, it's this one.

Also, the knees to the head thing is loving stupid and should stay illegal. I've never understood the idea that it will make things harder for wrestlers.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 13, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

coconono posted:

Stephens vs Pickett looked more worked than that match, honestly.

I really wonder what UFC's contingency plan was?

Which fight are you talking about here?

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Knees to the head of an opponent who is dangling his hand to have his fingers barely touch the mat (as was the case tonight) should be legal. The spirit of the rule is protecting a downed opponent, not letting somebody play oops my hand is down now.

The problem with having that allowance is that it would be a whole lot more subjective. Rules need to be absolute in fighting or they don't work. In a proper sport, you just reset or they don't get scorepoints or something. In MMA it's harder to undo a concussion someone received because the ref didn't have a clear view of their fingers.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 13, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Has anyone got that gif from the first Hendricks fight where he's smiling as he takes a couple of punches, then his face turns to murderous rage? It's one of the best MMA gifs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It was like if 129's main event hadn't been terrible.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SquirrelGrip posted:

yah i think Joe takes it

Joe looked a lot more beatable in the Ortiz fight than I was expecting. He was fading badly in the 3rd. Either he's lost a little or the division is catching up to him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, that's a guy with bricks in his hands whose also a lot faster than a man that size should be.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
UFC 125: Resolution, which ended in a draw, is the best one.

Also, yeah, it's weird to think how long Keith Jardine was a high profile fighter for.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Fighters who know when to get out give me the warm and fuzzies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The long and short of it is that it's really loving hard to protect people from themselves.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Yes, but the problem with that attitude is that the UFC is based in a country in which you can be easily sued for failing to protect people from themselves.

Hence why they have weigh ins 24 hours before hand and lots of doctors.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's not like we deserve any better.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lloyd Boner posted:

Ok now I'm back to wanting Aldo to beat Conor

Good, because this is probably what will happen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

"I will never fight for them again, because I am legally prohibited from fighting for anyone, but also I told the truth and brlijgl....

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

Bermudez vs Stephens

This was a great fight, but it was really just two guys seeing whose mistake would end the fight. They both walked into so many stupid punches. I know that's kind of Bermudez's gimmick, but still. It was a fight made great by the fighters fighting badly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

It really was great matchmaking. Hey let's have a guy who hits really hard fight a guy who gets into brawls and never stops coming but has a shaky chin. Oh and right before that lets have brad pickett fight a guy from chute boxe.

Right before the fight started, my friend asked me who these people were. My answer was "a guy throws stupid poo poo really hard vs. a guy who constantly walks into stupid poo poo." Then Bermudez proceeded to walk into the stupidest poo poo there is. A completely vertical jumping knee. Not a hint of forward motion. It was pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kurohashi posted:

The counter flying-knee is super underrated anyway (eg. Kazuo Misaki) so it's definitely a commendable technique for those that utilize it.
Oh yeah, they're sexy as gently caress. That one Hansen took out Imanari with was loving ridiculous.

quote:

I consider Bermudez's gimmick more about his retard strength and durability than recklessness though. Also his actual retardation.
I don't know. The fact that Stephens could jump straight into the air and land it is a pretty good testament to his recklessness.

• Locked thread