Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Slandible posted:

She was probably the most difficult Butcher to assemble for me as well. Good thing she is terrible and never sees the table.

From what we've seen of Fillet so far, I'm hoping she'll give Meathook a new lease on life so I can actually use her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Seriously? Meathook is one of my favourite butchers, maybe I've just been lucky with her but yea, looking forward to seeing how much of a boost Fillet provides her.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

head58 posted:

The Protect Your Balls podcast episode 2 has full spoilers on Hammer. They also said all the new captains will be on sale at Adepticon, and that the Masons' veteran player will be Harmony.

No poo poo? Woo, I can get Scalpel!

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Two matches for my league tonight. First was a mort v mort throwdown. He had Mascot, OB, Bonesaw and Dirge. I went with Silence and Mist.

It was a pretty interesting game with Puppet Mastery flying out everywhere, but Mist being a bit closer to the action and the versatility of Silence netted me a 2 goal victory.

Next was a game against Masons which we had to call a draw as the store was closing up. Just added Ghast to the last lineup, which worked a treat. Let me hold my own in what turned out to be a pretty bloody game. Despite threatening, none of us could get a clear line to the goal. Still a bit lost as to what to do against Masons to be honest, as they're too drat tough to beatdown unless I fully commit and too solid at shooting if I give them a gap. I was kinda relying solely on OB to bail me out of pretty tight situations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
http://m.imgur.com/a/5LWHF

New captain cards. Not totally convinced by Smoke but she's worth a go.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

HidaO-Win posted:

http://m.imgur.com/a/5LWHF

New captain cards. Not totally convinced by Smoke but she's worth a go.

I see her having good movement shenanigans, but her 1" melee sucks rear end. What remains to be seen is "Do conditions and clouds get work done?"

I see her biggest problem as taking Midas' spot.

Edit:
I guess Smoke kinda has super Where'd The Go and a Tackle on 2. That seems good.

Why, oh why, is Fillet 7"/9"?

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 31, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Holy poo poo Fillet. I'm in love.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

dexefiend posted:

I see her having good movement shenanigans, but her 1" melee sucks rear end. What remains to be seen is "Do conditions and clouds get work done?"

I see her biggest problem as taking Midas' spot.

Edit:
I guess Smoke kinda has super Where'd The Go and a Tackle on 2. That seems good.

Why, oh why, is Fillet 7"/9"?

Smoke is super slippery, she'll score from anywhere but with a TAC of 4, Tackle on 2 is hard enough, baring a charge or gang ups you'll fail to get it off a 4+/1 model most of the time. She'll want Vitriol and/or Mist to fetch balls for her.

That said she can operate happily as a goal threat at 19 and a bit inches with 2-3 influence which can't be discounted.

Apparently she works well with the condition game as a late activation but we'll have to see how that works out.

Fillet is the stand out, she has an enourmous threat range and viscous damage, she'll generate huge momentum costs for your opponent and she's good with the ball. What's not to like.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Not sure what to make of Scalpel. She seems to support a more fighty Morticians build, but I struggle to see how she will replace Obulus's 5/8 influence and Puppet Strings.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Hammer seems a little... weird to me. I dunno. I don't think he does enough to make me take him over Honour.

Fillet is loving brutal though.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

SteelMentor posted:

Hammer seems a little... weird to me. I dunno. I don't think he does enough to make me take him over Honour.

Fillet is loving brutal though.

I think honour might still be better, but I have to applaud their design. He's way more spread out and way less predictable than loading up honour with all the influence and letting her go gangbusters on someone. He can be basically the opposite of that, but still have the ability to go all in if we need him too.

Also turbo Flint under his Heroic will be fun every turn. Or Chisel.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Veteran Graves just got spoiled on Steamforged's Instagram. Not familiar enough with the Mortys to pass judgement, but he has heavy synergy with their new mascot(s?), Vileswarm.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Any of you farts at Adepticon? I've been doing plenty of GB and plan on more.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I just discovered this game, and it looks real neat. I don't really come from a miniatures games background though I've been getting a bit more into them, via the simple x-wing miniatures game, and designing my own somewhat simple grid-based miniatures games.

There's no stores anywhere near me that sell this, though this is a pretty big warmahordes crowd at my LFGS and I've heard this game has some similar elements. I'm going to see if I can drum up some games (Steamforged is AWESOME for having not just a a demo, but a LOT of units out free) and then if I can get people interested I'll get a starter set.

I've printed out the Mortician, Mason and Alchemist guilds. So far Mortician is my favorite with their cool control abilities, though I haven't looked too much at the other guild's abilities yet.

I played a game against myself to get a feel for the rules. I playeds morticians (Obulus, Ghast and Graves) vs. the Masons (Honour, Flint and Mallet). I think I mostly understand how it works, like I said, it's more complex than a game I typically play. I turned my white-board table into a small soccer pitch (though it's closer to 3'x2').

I'm looking forward to playing my first game against a real person.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slandible posted:

Any of you farts at Adepticon? I've been doing plenty of GB and plan on more.

Got a demo in. Bought Fishmen and Masons. Woo!

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Here's my whiteboard pitch I've been using to teach myself the game. It was petty easy to do. I used a face down terrain token to make the circles.

I wasn't aware there was more than one captain per team. Can a team have more than one unit marked captain? The captain doesn't do anything special , just sets what guild you're using right?
I read something about Union being for hire. Does this mean you can mix in union team members in your team? How does this work specifically?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more learning games against myself

E: More questions

Does a "/" in a chacter play cost signify and (pay both) or or (pay either)?

Under Character plays from attacks (Page 50):

"When the active model triggers a Character Play from an Attack, they may use play-icons to
pay for a single Play from their Playbook instead of spending Influence. "

Does this mean you can choose to pay 1 influence instead of a (GB) icon?

You generate the (GB) icons from selecting on your playbook, right?

I'm not sure I get wrapping. It opens how far in your book you can choose the effect, and you can
choose any icon in a column that is up to the point of columns you unlocked, right?
(So 3 successes for Obulus would be T or 2 damage (Momentous).

If you wrap, do you:
A. Choose from any icon (since you unlocked all of them) a number of times you wraped
B.Basicly start over, you subract the number of columns in your play book and the number of
unlocked columns is the remaining number? (This looks like the right answer).
C.you subtract the colomn you chose from your playbook and start over, with the remaining number
the columns you have unlocked.

Thanks!

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 9, 2016

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Foolster41 posted:

I wasn't aware there was more than one captain per team. Can a team have more than one unit marked captain? The captain doesn't do anything special , just sets what guild you're using right?
I read something about Union being for hire. Does this mean you can mix in union team members in your team? How does this work specifically?

Nope, you can only have one player marked as captain in your team and basically yea, they effectively mark the guild you're using as well as bringing a legendary play with them too. Most teams are only just getting their season 2 captains in the next few weeks.

Union players can be can be mixed in (if the union player in question will play for your guild, not all of them will and it's listed which guilds they'll play for on their card) but you still need to field a mascot from your guild, so a team will always be 1 captain, 1 mascot and 4 players (which can be any combination of union or guild players)

Foolster41 posted:

Does a "/" in a chacter play cost signify and (pay both) or or (pay either)?

Under Character plays from attacks (Page 50):

"When the active model triggers a Character Play from an Attack, they may use play-icons to
pay for a single Play from their Playbook instead of spending Influence. "

Does this mean you can choose to pay 1 influence instead of a (GB) icon?

You generate the (GB) icons from selecting on your playbook, right?

a '/' splitting a number and GB icons means you can pay influence to use it during your activation using the cost listed OR you can trigger it from the playbook, you do not need to spend influence if you're triggering it from the playbook. Some character plays only have play icons listed, which means they can only be triggered via the playbook.

Foolster41 posted:

I'm not sure I get wrapping. It opens how far in your book you can choose the effect, and you can
choose any icon in a column that is up to the point of columns you unlocked, right?
(So 3 successes for Obulus would be T or 2 damage (Momentous).

If you wrap, do you:
A. Choose from any icon (since you unlocked all of them) a number of times you wraped
B.Basicly start over, you subract the number of columns in your play book and the number of
unlocked columns is the remaining number? (This looks like the right answer).
C.you subtract the colomn you chose from your playbook and start over, with the remaining number
the columns you have unlocked.

I literally woke up 10 minutes ago, I think you're on the right track with B.

If you manage to wrap once, you pick your first choice from the full range of columns, your second you take from the remainder of the wrap. i.e. 8 successes on a 5 column playbook means you pick from the full range of columns for the first, the second is taken from the remainder (3 columns) regardless of which column you chose on the first wrap.

If you had 12 successes of the same 5 column playbook, your first two choices could be from any column, but the third would be limited to 2 columns.

Hope that helps :)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I had my first game yesterday. It... err... started okay until my usual luck kicked in. Then it was entertaining to see the demonstrator throwing bad move after bad move in an attempt not to horribly murder me in vain. Game is still fun, and I think of running Union Starter plus Coin, Snakeskin and Mist. Might get Rage and Harry the Hat, I like their mini and what seems to be their toolsets.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

enri posted:

Hope that helps :)

It does! Thanks!

I just finished a game against my self (like I said, to learn the game).

Obulus is great. Early on I put 6 tokens on him. He shadow-liked, puppet mastered flint to back out of the way, and did a full move to
make a nice clean shot and making the first goal.

Mallet got pissed at this and attacked Obulus with the vengeance plot card.

I realized how the order of plays makes a huge difference and is an another layer to the desgn, sort of like the different manuvers on the dials in X-wing. Ghast is pretty cool, but not very good at taking the ball away from people with his high up 4 (T) play. Instead he knocked down Flint, causing the ball to go flying away.
Flint managed to get the ball and with super shot rolled 3,3,3, and 4. just barerly making the goal.

Obulus, still near the opposing goal gets the ball and has a clear shot, but miseses.

Honor gets the ball, but can't get close enough to make a shot, so passes to Flint. Graves is both covering Flint and in the ball path, but the pass is good. They use a snap shot and GOAAAAL! Masons win 2-1 (playing to only 8 VP).

I feel like I've got most of the rules down now. It feels like take outs don't happen unless you really gang up. I think I was kind of focusing more on scoring goals for both sides though. Honour had the least remaining health with 7 HP.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Foolster41 posted:

It does! Thanks!

I just finished a game against my self (like I said, to learn the game).

Obulus is great. Early on I put 6 tokens on him. He shadow-liked, puppet mastered flint to back out of the way, and did a full move to
make a nice clean shot and making the first goal.

Mallet got pissed at this and attacked Obulus with the vengeance plot card.

I realized how the order of plays makes a huge difference and is an another layer to the desgn, sort of like the different manuvers on the dials in X-wing. Ghast is pretty cool, but not very good at taking the ball away from people with his high up 4 (T) play. Instead he knocked down Flint, causing the ball to go flying away.
Flint managed to get the ball and with super shot rolled 3,3,3, and 4. just barerly making the goal.

Obulus, still near the opposing goal gets the ball and has a clear shot, but miseses.

Honor gets the ball, but can't get close enough to make a shot, so passes to Flint. Graves is both covering Flint and in the ball path, but the pass is good. They use a snap shot and GOAAAAL! Masons win 2-1 (playing to only 8 VP).

I feel like I've got most of the rules down now. It feels like take outs don't happen unless you really gang up. I think I was kind of focusing more on scoring goals for both sides though. Honour had the least remaining health with 7 HP.

Take outs are one of those things that some teams will struggle with, the fishermen for instance - I don't think I've ever gotten a take out on an opposing player that wasn't a mascot... butchers on the other hand? practically all my wins with butchers are with at least 4-5 take downs. They're much more in line with my 'ball? what ball?' approach to the game :)

Obulus' puppet master is interesting, one of my regular opponents plays morts and I've been on the receiving end of puppet master on more occasions than I care to remember. One cheap little trick with it is to get him to puppet master the ball carrier to pass the ball to one of your own, then if you have the momentum, take a snap shot on goal. Quite fun to see those being set up, knowing it's coming and trying to avoid getting caught out with it (though as I said before, I play butchers.. I don't mind so much if my opponent steals the first goal, it just means someone got close enough to my edge of the board to score and I can subsequently start beating on them :) )

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've got about four or five games in with Fillet now, and I don't see myself ever going back to Ox. She can match his damage quite easily, and provides so much aoe threat and team support than Ox ever could.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Slandible posted:

I've got about four or five games in with Fillet now, and I don't see myself ever going back to Ox. She can match his damage quite easily, and provides so much aoe threat and team support than Ox ever could.

What are you running lineup wise? My first test didn't impress.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I picked up a Mason's starter + Flint/Brick/Marbles at Adepticon. Pretty hyped to get started in GB.

Are there any online engines that run an approximation of Guild Ball? I'd like to practice a little before trying to run demo games at my LGS.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Gorefiend posted:

What are you running lineup wise? My first test didn't impress.

Fillet
Princess
Boiler
Shank
Brisket
Rage/Tenderiser

Those first 5 I am super happy with. The 6th spot I've been rotating those two depending on the matchup. I prefer Rage for getting Tool Up in your list (because Meathook still sucks) and another bleed character makes Fillet so dangerous. Ill drop Tenderiser into Alchemists/Engineers/Fish almost every time, though

Rage giving Tool Up to Fillet makes her a murder train, even more so than Ox. You need to work a bleed on your target, but +1 dmg from TU, +1 dmg from them bleeding, and a free dodge on every damage play is nuts. TU also effects Pain Circle and Blood Rain, because why not. If I can, Ill TU Fillet, and have Rage charge something else to get two momentous attacks in.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 11, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

I picked up a Mason's starter + Flint/Brick/Marbles at Adepticon. Pretty hyped to get started in GB.

Are there any online engines that run an approximation of Guild Ball? I'd like to practice a little before trying to run demo games at my LGS.

There's a module for Vassal, available on the Steam-forged website.
If you're free an evening (after 5ish PST) this week, let me know and we could play a game since I've been wanting to play a game against an opponent.

E: I've been playing around with build teams, trying to find interesting synergies with the 3 teams I have (Mason, Mortuary and the Union)

It feels like one weakness is with such small squads and a not very big pool of units and nothing like upgrade cards (something that could be cool if they did in the future!) there's only so many combinations you can really do.

Honour, Marbles, Mallet Minx, and Decimate look like they'd work well for teaming up and dealing damage, trying to knock out units as quick as possible instead of focusing on goals.

The synergy between Honour, Harmony and Flint also look really cool with Harmony and Honour's "sister" ability.

I'm understanding that means that you basically get to move TWO of your units
together, instead of waiting for your opponent, right?

Superior strategy doesn't mean he gets to immediately go, just that one of your units may activate again in the Queue 1/turn (at the cost of 4 INF)?

So: Flint goes. After the enemy moves a unit, she uses Super Strat on Flint, and Honour immediately goes. Another enemy goes, and then Flint goes again. The final enemy unit moves. Is this correct?

I'm also interested in trying a team with Dirge, Silence and Cosset because of their [Dirge] abilities.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 11, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Man, all this Dark Souls stuff Steamforged is doing looks awesome but it'd be nice if they sat down and sorted out things before they start throwing more Kickstarters around. I've been waiting for a replacement Mist for 3 and a half weeks now and my local store's re-supply/new captains shipment keeps on being delayed, and from what I've seen this is more common than I thought.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Finished Fillet from Adepticon. Now I can be smug for like 2 days.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Pretty nice work, though maybe touch up her face a little. The shading around her mouth and the lack of definion between the lips is, well, it kinda makes her look like a blowup doll.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Foolster41 posted:

There's a module for Vassal, available on the Steam-forged website.
If you're free an evening (after 5ish PST) this week, let me know and we could play a game since I've been wanting to play a game against an opponent.

Hey, sorry for the late response, but I'd be free this evening (7pm PST-late) and late (10pm PST-late) tomorrow evening.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

Hey, sorry for the late response, but I'd be free this evening (7pm PST-late) and late (10pm PST-late) tomorrow evening.

7 pm works! I haven't done much playing around with the vassal module, so there will be some learning since I haven't figured out how to do everything yet/. I'll try to look again before then.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Cool, I sent you a PM.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

CaptCommy posted:

There's a store in NorCal (Vacaville) that just started carrying it too!

Huh, that is my FLGS. I haven't been there in a while. Maybe I should look into this.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Managed a 3rd place finish after losing in the fourth and final round to a Corsair led Fish team vs my Butchers. Shut out my previous rounds hard, including four takeouts turn 2 vs Morticians without popping legendary.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Haven't seen these posted here yet so:

Hunters Guild Spoilers
https://imgur.com/a/pVo0u

Other Season 2 Spoilers
http://imgur.com/a/0Dd6a

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Poor Coin :(

Edit: Friend of mine just brought up a good point. While I'm all for story progression and whatnot, I hope Steamforged doesn't get into the habit of butchering their way through the previous Season's players every new edition. And while some Veteran Players (Rage, Velocity, Katalyst) are pretty interesting and shake things up enough to make them different from their regular varients, some of them (Brisket, Graves, Spigot) barely feel different and remind me too much of how Warmahordes updates their characters, which was a fairly big factor in why I don't play WMH.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 18, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Man, is the field actually a lot smaller than it looks. :P

Token's Masons beat Foolster's Morticians 2-0 (4-0 VP)

It was neat having Obulous force a pass (we assumed you can't shoot with that ability, because that'd be pretty broken). Also, Ghast got mad he coudn't take the ball and knocked down Harmony and got it from the scatter anyway. :P

The Masons did some impressive slipping out and ball control. Harmony missed the first shot, and because I bungled placement with all my guys on the other end of the field she could get another shot right away, hitting that time.

Thanks for the game!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The game was great! Vassal was a little fiddly, but with some practice I could see future games going pretty smooth.

We were only playing a demo game, so the 6VP to win meant I won with two goals. If Foolster had another round or so, I'm pretty sure he could've knocked out Flint and Harmony, so the score was pretty misleading of the end game. I'm a bit scared of the shenanigans that Obulus is gonna set up, but looking forward to our rematch,

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I experimented with beatdown Mort again - running Ghast, Ob, Dirge, Rage, Silence and Cossett with my goal being to use puppet master and lure to pull individual models into a mob of bruisers. Didn't quite go as plan as I was against Masons and my opponent was confident in getting all his players up the board, but when I did isolate someone, they were taken out pretty drat quickly.

Managed to pull of the win with 4 take downs and a goal.

Foolster41 posted:

It was neat having Obulous force a pass (we assumed you can't shoot with that ability, because that'd be pretty broken). Also, Ghast got mad he coudn't take the ball and knocked down Harmony and got it from the scatter anyway. :P

Yeah, Obbie can't force a shot at goal, something I messed up on my first game. He can force a pass to someone loitering about that can then snap shot a goal though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So I went to Salute 2016 last weekend and I got to try out Guild Ball as a demo with a friend of mine. I got to play Butchers and my friend played Fishermen. We both had experience playing BB (which is why we wanted to give this a try) and I have to say that I liked the system quite a lot. I was smashing things apart with Ox (the free charge is something else) and my friend was doing all the flippy stuff that I usually expect from BB elves. I managed to down one of his guys (the demo was over when someone scored or someone took down two enemy players), but then he stripped the ball from my guy, made a mad dash for my goal line and scored! Overall, pretty exciting stuff.

I'm not sure if I want to buy in, however: first of all, I'm not sure how much play it would get and second, I'm not a huge fan of painting stuff. I was wondering if there was anyone in the London area that happened to have two teams so I could get to try a full game and also potentially get me a regular opponent: anyone out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Poor Coin :(

Edit: Friend of mine just brought up a good point. While I'm all for story progression and whatnot, I hope Steamforged doesn't get into the habit of butchering their way through the previous Season's players every new edition. And while some Veteran Players (Rage, Velocity, Katalyst) are pretty interesting and shake things up enough to make them different from their regular varients, some of them (Brisket, Graves, Spigot) barely feel different and remind me too much of how Warmahordes updates their characters, which was a fairly big factor in why I don't play WMH.

I don't understand that bit about WMH at all. Epic versions of characters do not invalidate originals and are basically new characters in their own right.